As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Venture Bros: RADIANT IS THE BLOOD OF THE BABOON HEART

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I’m not disagreeing, but I would like to hear how you think he’s grown. Doc’s pretty good at sabotaging himself.

I do kind of wish he would quit being such a dang to Orpheus. Orpheus has his own ego problems, but Doc is a real heel with him and it really seems like Orpheus just wants to be pals.

Every season he makes it
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Season 1 Brock, at least for the first few episodes, seems very different to me
    He barely gives a shit about the Ventures

You can really tell how much the Scooby too episode stuck with him.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    so, rewatching season 6 again

it really does feel like... almost a different show? like, one that actually tries sticking closer to genre tropes than continuing to wallow in in the thematic exploration of failure

and it's not bad! season 6 has amazing moments specifically because we get to see a lot of the characters, who were lost and ineffectual, actually accomplish things. and the plot makes complete sense, to the point where I can't help but wonder how far in advance they planned the whole thing

but the thematic change feels so sudden, so severe, and to a degree so unearned, that I can't help but wonder if it was really set up to go this way from like, s3/s4 (because again everything connects so seamlessly and flawlessly it seems like its gotta be) or if they were maybe convinced by Adult Swim executives to try and play it a bit straighter to reach more popular appeal

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I don’t think Hammer & Publick have received a network note in a solid decade

This definitely seems like an engine that just continues on its own

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    also, I'm pretty darn certain season 7 was supposed to be the latter half of season 6 and they just ran out of money at the time

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    so, rewatching season 6 again

it really does feel like... almost a different show? like, one that actually tries sricking closer to genre tropes than continuing to wallow in in the thematic exploration of failure

and it's not bad! season 6 has amazing moments specifically because we get to see a lot of the characters, who were lost and ineffectual, actually accomplish things. and the plot makes complete sense, to the point where I can't help but wonder how far in advance they planned the whole thing

but the thematic change feels so sudden, so severe, and to a degree so unearned, that I can't help but wonder if it was really set up to go this way from like, s3/s4 (because again everything connects so seamlessly and flawlessly it seems like its gotta be) or if they were maybe convinced by Adult Swim executives to try and play it a bit straighter to reach more popular appeal

Seasons 4 and 5 felt like a pretty big shift from the first 3 too. Destroying the clones was a narrative way of forcing the show itself to start evolving and it happened when it needed to. I think Doc and Jackson have a pretty solid pulse on when they need to shake things up

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    also, I'm pretty darn certain season 7 was supposed to be the latter half of season 6 and they just ran out of money at the time

They forgot to leave episodes left for the finale. Well, more along the lines of they didn't account for the space special counting as part of season 6.

No I don't.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    They dont have the whole show planned in advance. They do have some plans but they also end up changing things a lot. For example Dermott WAS Brocks son originally.

That said if you listen to the comentary tracks they had been talking about the show being about more than failure since like season 4ish. They were never as serious about that as the fans thought. The shows about a lot of things.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Dys wrote: »
    Oh, I'm not surprised in her competence in the least.
    I was just failing to remember her throwing a punch before, having not watched the previous seasons in awhile.

She kicks ass in Season 2 when 21 asks her to come back while Killinger is helping the Monarch, very handily murdering The Monarch’s Royal Guard.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I'm starting to think I missed season 6.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options

What do you last remember happening?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Season 6 had my favorite one-off characters of the entire series, The Doom Factory.

• Options
    I really love where 6 (and now 7) is sitting at, everything feels like it's in a really good and interesting place

if I have one complaint, it's that I don't feel like Wide Wale has done enough to feel like as much of a looming presence as they make him to be

Red Death, in a single episode, feels waaaaaaaaay more threatening and interesting than Wide Wale does in a full season

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I dunno if Wide Wale is supposed to be that sort of menacing though. He's more of a "Big Man" from Spider-man sort of menace. He's got the connections and the quiet competence to be actually good at being a bad guy, rather than the showy nonsense most Guild villains trade in.

If anything he's more of a foil for The Monarch, since he's everything Monarch isn't, for good and bad. Maybe this season will prove me wrong but I see Wide Wale as a looming presence over the villain side of the show more than the Venture side.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Think Tank was such a brilliant character to just
    kill off in the same episode he appeared in

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I dunno if Wide Wale is supposed to be that sort of menacing though. He's more of a "Big Man" from Spider-man sort of menace. He's got the connections and the quiet competence to be actually good at being a bad guy, rather than the showy nonsense most Guild villains trade in.

If anything he's more of a foil for The Monarch, since he's everything Monarch isn't, for good and bad. Maybe this season will prove me wrong but I see Wide Wale as a looming presence over the villain side of the show more than the Venture side.

That's been the whole thing, he hates the monarch. He only took the gig with the ventures to piss him off.

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I miss Manic 8-Ball.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    I just think even everyone AROUND Wide Wale is more interesting than him himself

like I'll gladly watch Serena and Rocco, but once they did the joke of Wide Wale's extremely loud all-corduroy suits he had nothing more to offer me

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Wide Wale is more of a presence than a character and I'm okay with that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I just want to say how incredible nearly all the villain and hero names are.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options

I honestly can't remember. But I think it was the season when Billy Quizboy was wearing his underwesr and... doing something.

It's been so long!

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options

I honestly can't remember. But I think it was the season when Billy Quizboy was wearing his underwesr and... doing something.

It's been so long!

Did you ever watch the special? All That and Gargantua 2?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I honestly can't remember. I've been on a lot of opioids in the last week due to back pain.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Yo I just watched the second episode of the season which is now available on AS and man it was good. I am so jazzed for this season.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I really love where 6 (and now 7) is sitting at, everything feels like it's in a really good and interesting place

if I have one complaint, it's that I don't feel like Wide Wale has done enough to feel like as much of a looming presence as they make him to be

Red Death, in a single episode, feels waaaaaaaaay more threatening and interesting than Wide Wale does in a full season

I sort of feel like that’s on purpose?

Like, I absolutely get the impression that’s he’s gotten pretty soft, relying on his reputation and outsourcing his henching rights to others, resting on his laurels. When was the last time he had a real challenge? What’s the worst we’ve actually seen him do?
    immediately leave a henching because the protagonist wasn’t around? Lean on an old pizza maker and screw up an 18 year old’s hover bike to scare him off seeing his daughter?

This is a guy that seems to have used his brother’s super science to get the edge on the mob and has been mostly cashing checks for the last 15 years.

sarukun on
  • Options

Like, I absolutely get the impression that’s he’s gotten pretty soft, relying on his reputation and outsourcing his benching rights to others, resting on his laurels. When was the last time he had a real challenge? What’s the worst we’ve actually seen him do?
    immediately leave a henching because the protagonist wasn’t around? Lean on an old pizza maker and screw up an 18 year old’s hover bike to scare him off seeing his daughter?

This is a guy that seems to have used his brother’s super science to get the edge on the mob and has been mostly cashing checks for the last 15 years.

He's the biggest type of threat in the world of The Venture Bros.
    Someone who doesn't really believe in the whole playground-superhero-battles-but-for-keepsies game. As much as the show treats arching as just a job, most of the people who do it are true believers, doing what they love. For Wide Wale it's literally just business and that disrupts the system

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    I have now spent literally half my entire life watching The Venture Bros. and I can say with zero doubt or ambiguity that Red Death is my favorite thing that ever happened to the show

• Options

Like, I absolutely get the impression that’s he’s gotten pretty soft, relying on his reputation and outsourcing his benching rights to others, resting on his laurels. When was the last time he had a real challenge? What’s the worst we’ve actually seen him do?

He's the biggest type of threat in the world of The Venture Bros.
    Someone who doesn't really believe in the whole playground-superhero-battles-but-for-keepsies game. As much as the show treats arching as just a job, most of the people who do it are true believers, doing what they love. For Wide Wale it's literally just business and that disrupts the system

Sure, but I get the impression he's pretty terrible at arching and since all Rusty's ever really done is ignore his arches, WW seems to be having no small amount of trouble actually doing much of anything really noticeable.
    He's a big, schlubby guy who didn't even take out the Blue Morpho when he had him dead to rights. Like, I cannot draw a more direct comparison to the Monarch failing at arching Rusty Venture without a plastic ruler and a handful of Crayolas.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Episode 2
    Oh my fucking god I am so happy Dugong is back

I knew in the flashback immediately that it was him and just went "yes yes yes"

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Couple more things from Ep 2
    I like how Monarch is super indignant about Wide Wale's headquarters just being an office building.

Also the Rocko trying to pal around with the Monarch.

• Options
    I like how Monarch is super indignant about Wide Wale's headquarters just being an office building.

Rocko is down for whatever and its delightful.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

It'd be pretty funny if he continually tries and fails to be a third wheel for the Monarch/Gary dynamic.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I think he had my favorite line this episode.
    Fine, I'll tell dad you tied me to the bed.
    "NO! Don't tell him that, don't even imply that.
    It's really hard to pick out a single favorite line, though.

• Options
    Ha. The title for the next episode is
    Arrears in Science

Call back to Episode 2 "Careers in Science" which was the episode with the problem light.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ep2 musings...
    After Red Death's reveal that there were supervillains on Gargantua 1, I'm wondering who opened the bay doors.

God this show is so good!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Ha. The title for the next episode is
    Arrears in Science

Call back to Episode 2 "Careers in Science" which was the episode with the problem light.

And
    movie night! That episode is getting a lot of work

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Ep2 musings...
    After Red Death's reveal that there were supervillains on Gargantua 1, I'm wondering who opened the bay doors.

I think there's either two ways it'll go. Either Jonas was alive at the time, in which case I'm not sure (other than maybe that's what killed him); or Jonas was already in the PRO BLEM and subconsciously triggered the doors when a shitton of supervillians showed up.

Or it was Phantom Spaceman.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Ep2 musings...

I think there's either two ways it'll go. Either Jonas was alive at the time, in which case I'm not sure (other than maybe that's what killed him); or Jonas was already in the PRO BLEM and subconsciously triggered the doors when a shitton of supervillians showed up.

[/quote]
    Red Death is phantom spaceman, right?

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Ep2 musings...

Red Death is phantom spaceman, right?

Oh for sure

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    When do I start getting my t-shirts?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Where do you guys watch the new episodes online?

PSN: jfrofl