Options

[PSN] 22 Sep - SOMA | Afro Samurai 2 | FIFA

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    There's a bug in the Multiplayer filters. Telling it to hide Hard difficulty games also hides Medium difficulty. Hiding Medium Difficulty does nothing.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    OlliOlli2 was fun, but unfortunately it didn't take long to hit my skill ceiling

Crooked Grind into Bigspin Flip on level 2-3 or whatever is just not happening

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    OlliOlli2 was fun, but unfortunately it didn't take long to hit my skill ceiling

Crooked Grind into Bigspin Flip on level 2-3 or whatever is just not happening

I read something someone wrote about how the first game pretty much destroyed their controller's analog sticks due to constant grinding of the sticks themselves around the holes in the controller and thought maybe I wouldn't give it a shot.

• Options
    SuneaterSuneater Registered User regular
    I just got a PS4 and I don't know if this is the place to ask, so sorry if it's not, but I looked at the ps store and there's the ps now I think that has rentals, and do people actually use that? They were $2.99 for 4 hours? That seems really short. Can I just buy the games? I didn't have a ps3 or xbox and I want to play games like Catherine and Uncharted maybe and I guess just buying a physical ps3 game and putting that in won't work right? What would you guys do if you want to play ps3 games but only have a ps4?

3DS FC# 3480-2551-0694
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I just did a one week rental for eight bucks. Enough time to beat Infamous 2 and get sick of Uncharted.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    There's a $20 a month (or $45 for three months) subscription for PSNow, but due to your typical licensing dumbshittery a bunch of rentable PS3 games aren't included. Still though, there are some really good games in the list, and a seven day free trial so you can test how well it works on your connection.

PS1 and PS2 games are supposed to be a part of the "long term vision" for PS Now, but I think it would be a hard sell getting people to pay to play PS1 games they already own in their PSN accounts. PS Now servers are just racks where each individual blade is basically just a mobo with 8 Cell CPUs on it. The PS1 emulator for the PS3 runs entirely in software, so there is nothing stopping PS1 games from being available on PS Now, so Sony has to have some reason. More likely we'll see the PS1 emulator hit the PS4 at some point. Odds are the reason it is taking so long is that porting POPS from Cell to x86 and then doing QA on hundreds of PS1 games is probably an absolutely mammoth undertaking.

PS2 support without emulation on PS Now would depend on whether the servers had the combo PS2 Emotion Engine/Graphics Synthesizer chip or the single chip+software support that earlier PS3s had.

There have also been plenty of "anonymous sources" mentioning work being done at Sony for PS1 and PS2 emulators for the PS4, and that PS Now will only be used for PS3 games.

So basically your options right now for PS1/PS2 BC on the PS4 are non-existent, but that might change in the future. Your best bet for playing PS1 and PS2 games on Sony hardware will be to continue to use your actual PS2, or drop $30 on craigslist if you don't have one. Get yourself an old fatty with a network adapter and any old IDE hard drive and you can have a similar experience to a PS2-supprting PS Now, just with a significantly uglier menu and at 480i/480p instead of 1080p. On the upside there will be 100% compatibility with all games, absolutely no input latency, and everything will be playable offline.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Finished Valiant Hearts last night. It was a suitable reminder that WWI was a fucking atrocity and everyone involved in deciding how that war was fought and handled is a fucking monster that deserve to have their graves pissed on regularly.

I mean, I didn't need that reminder, but I'm glad it exists for those people that might not know.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Houn wrote: »
    Finished Valiant Hearts last night. It was a suitable reminder that WWI was a fucking atrocity and everyone involved in deciding how that war was fought and handled is a fucking monster that deserve to have their graves pissed on regularly.

I mean, I didn't need that reminder, but I'm glad it exists for those people that might not know.
    It has a surprising amount of feels for having little to no dialogue.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SuneaterSuneater Registered User regular
    There's a $20 a month (or $45 for three months) subscription for PSNow, but due to your typical licensing dumbshittery a bunch of rentable PS3 games aren't included. Still though, there are some really good games in the list, and a seven day free trial so you can test how well it works on your connection.

PS1 and PS2 games are supposed to be a part of the "long term vision" for PS Now, but I think it would be a hard sell getting people to pay to play PS1 games they already own in their PSN accounts. PS Now servers are just racks where each individual blade is basically just a mobo with 8 Cell CPUs on it. The PS1 emulator for the PS3 runs entirely in software, so there is nothing stopping PS1 games from being available on PS Now, so Sony has to have some reason. More likely we'll see the PS1 emulator hit the PS4 at some point. Odds are the reason it is taking so long is that porting POPS from Cell to x86 and then doing QA on hundreds of PS1 games is probably an absolutely mammoth undertaking.

PS2 support without emulation on PS Now would depend on whether the servers had the combo PS2 Emotion Engine/Graphics Synthesizer chip or the single chip+software support that earlier PS3s had.

There have also been plenty of "anonymous sources" mentioning work being done at Sony for PS1 and PS2 emulators for the PS4, and that PS Now will only be used for PS3 games.

So basically your options right now for PS1/PS2 BC on the PS4 are non-existent, but that might change in the future. Your best bet for playing PS1 and PS2 games on Sony hardware will be to continue to use your actual PS2, or drop $30 on craigslist if you don't have one. Get yourself an old fatty with a network adapter and any old IDE hard drive and you can have a similar experience to a PS2-supprting PS Now, just with a significantly uglier menu and at 480i/480p instead of 1080p. On the upside there will be 100% compatibility with all games, absolutely no input latency, and everything will be playable offline.

Thanks. I guess my connection will be too slow for stream. I got it for Bloodborne so I'll wait for that and play monster hunter in the mean time.

3DS FC# 3480-2551-0694
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Here's The Drop for this week!
    New PlayStation Games This Week

Alter Echo
    PS2 Classic — Digital
    In the future, the most powerful substance ever made can control time and physics. Only a chosen few can control it. But only one can save us from it. You are the one. You are Nevin and you’re armed with the most radical weapon ever. It’s a shape-shifting PolySuit, and it can even stop time itself.

Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea
    PS3 — Digital, Retail
    The third episode in the Dusk series tells the story of two young girls who take to the Dusk Seas in search of their dreams. Continue the cult-classic adventure in the latest chapter of the Atelier legacy.

Battle Hunter
    PSone Classic — Digital
    Delve deep in the ruins of former high-tech cities in search of prized relics to stave off extinction. But be careful, because other Hunters may get you first.

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition
    PS4 — Digital, Retail
    The definitive edition of the critically-acclaimed action game arrives with enhanced 1080p graphics at 60 frames per second, new features, and all the original DLC included. Chain together stylish combos with up to eight unique weapons.

Flame Over
    PS Vita — Digital
    Blending top down ‘squirt ‘em-up’ action with Roguelike RPG mechanics, Flame Over features fast-paced fire-fighting thrills, randomly generated levels, and four deadly game zones! Guide firefighting hero, Blaze Carruthers, in a race against time and near-certain death!

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
    PS4, PS3, PS Vita — Digital (Three-Way Cross Buy)
    Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number is the brutal conclusion to the Hotline Miami saga, set against a backdrop of escalating violence and retribution over spilled blood in the original game. Follow the paths of several distinct factions — each with their own questionable methods and uncertain motivations.

Scram Kitty DX
    PS4, PS Vita — Digital (Cross Buy)
    Take control of Buddy, a rail-riding, laser-shooting young hero on a perilous quest to rescue his pet cat, Scram Kitty! Kidnapped and imprisoned in the depths of the World’s biggest orbiting space laboratory, along with all of Earth’s cats, Scram Kitty is at the mercy of an army of experimental mechanized rodents.

Sniper Elite 3 Ultimate Edition
    PS4, PS3 — Digital, Retail
    This Ultimate Edition contains the thrilling main game as well as 9 additional DLC packs, including the biggest environments yet. Includes free updates to main game and six new multiplayer maps.

Sparkle 2
    PS3 — Digital (Three Way Cross Buy)
    A long time ago, five enchanted keys were created. The keys were scattered around mysterious lands and still remain undiscovered. Many have come to find them, and so far all have failed. Will you find the keys and unlock the secrets, or will you join the endless ranks of souls forever trapped within these lands?

Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters
    PS3, PS Vita — Digital, Retail
    One day, a transfer student arrives at Kurenai Academy in Shinjuku. During a tour of the school with the class president, Sayuri Mifune, they spot a ghost — a girl in a white dress. Moments later, an evil ghost in a red coat appears and attacks them…

Demos and Betas

Sparkle 2 — PS3 Trial

So, pretty decent week here. PS4 owners get DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition and, even though it's not listed, Bladestorm Nightmares. Unless that was delayed. PS3 owners get to grab the latest Atelier game with Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea if you don't routinely wait for the Plus versions of those games on Vita (I have to assume they're gonna keep coming, yes?). And Vita owners can grab Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters and Flame Over. All three get to pick up Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number, however, for one single purchase. Damned if I'm not looking forward to that one.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I'm stuck trying to decide between HM2 and DmC, and I can only afford one.

I played a couple levels of DmC on the 360 and liked it, and all the work they've done on the port is impressive a fuck.

But then again, Hotline Miami 2 ...

Damn this is tough.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

I played a couple levels of DmC on the 360 and liked it, and all the work they've done on the port is impressive a fuck.

Damn this is tough.

Here, let me help:

DmC

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Bladestorm is AWSOME. Played the demo and it was super fun. I can't wait for the full version.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    The bounce between anticipation and disgust (over a specific scene) that I've seen people give Hotline Miami 2 has been one of the odder pre-release situations I've witnessed.

I've kind of been neutral either way, so I guess I'll wait until tomorrow and see if that scene is as bad as people feared; that game is probably going to result in a million articles one way or the other.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options

Damn this is tough.

Here, let me help:

Hotline Miami 2

Also, DmC was "free" on PS+, so if you've been good about "buying" everything, check your download list.

• Options

Damn this is tough.

Here, let me help:

Hotline Miami 2

Also, DmC was "free" on PS+, so if you've been good about "buying" everything, check your download list.

That's not what I said at all!

Also the PS3 version of DmC was pretty shit, I got the free version and it honestly just made me go back and re-buy the 360 version

It will be nice to have a solid version playable with the PS4 controller

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular

Also, I've watched hours and hours of WW1 documentaries and I still couldn't tell you what the hell anyone was really fighting for.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Damn this is tough.

Here, let me help:

Hotline Miami 2

That's not what I said at all!

Also the PS3 version of DmC was pretty shit, I got the free version and it honestly just made me go back and re-buy the 360 version

It will be nice to have a solid version playable with the PS4 controller

I'll admit, I didn't play farther than a level or two into it, but I don't understand what you mean by "pretty shit". Looked like a late-gen PS3 game, no frame rate issues, controls were responsive. What was wrong with it?

• Options
    It just didn't look anywhere near as sharp as the 360 version, which was the first one I played

It might just be one of those things where you only notice it if you played the 360 version, for example I've heard people say Sleeping Dogs is fine on the PS3 but I honestly can't stand it because I've seen better

And then Sleeping Dogs on PS4 ruled so I'm hoping for a repeat situation here with DmC

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I already played DmC on PC. It looked and ran flawlessly.

Even if the PS4 version matches that performance the new features sound more like backpeddling that doesn't incentivize me to replay it.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »

Also, I've watched hours and hours of WW1 documentaries and I still couldn't tell you what the hell anyone was really fighting for.

France was butthurt about losing the 1870 war; the Kaiser was super mad because his english and russian cousins and granny Queen Vicky didn't think he was cool (the royal families of all big european countries were all related, Victoria thought she could stop future wars by making everyone married or a cousin or both to everyone else); also, he wanted bigger boats than his cousin king georgie. The czar was 100% clueless about everything but signed a defense pact with France, and England was pissed that Germany wanted all the colonies too. And everyone was pissed with everyone over colonial holdings.

Then, there was the austro-hungarian empire, which was falling apart at all the seams and when the serbians killed the Austrian Archduke, everyone took that as an excuse to take their beefs to each other.

No one thought the war was going to be 4 years of butchery. They all figured it would be a quick race to Berlin/Paris and that was that. But then the quick maneuvering turned into the race to the sea, in which they tried to outflank each other while moving towards Belgium and the Atlantic. That ended on another draw, and there we had a continuous frontline of trenches from the sea to Switzerland. Then the butchery really started, but up until then there was a lot of maneuvering.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    You can already play DmC on PS3 with a DS4 controller, they patched in support for it in a firmware update a long time ago

• Options
    You can already play DmC on PS3 with a DS4 controller, they patched in support for it in a firmware update a long time ago

However, considering the DS4 battery is shit compared to the DS3, I'll stick with the DS3 on the PS3.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

However, considering the DS4 battery is shit compared to the DS3, I'll stick with the DS3 on the PS3.

Some people miss this, but there's a charging cable in the PS4 box. That should solve your problem.

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    Who puts their couch that close to their television?

• Options
    I ended up getting a USB extender so I can play and charge at the same time.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Second DS4 plugged in and charging while you play

Battery drained? Swap them out

Problem solved!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Who puts their couch that close to their television?

<- This guy

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Yeah, the DS4 doesn't have great battery life, but I have 3 of them so I can swap them in as needed if the battery runs low. Then again, i never have time to game for 5+ hours in a row any more so i never even run my batteries out in the main controller.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    I ended up getting a USB extender so I can play and charge at the same time.

I have three DS4s. If one dies, I plug it in and pick up the next one. This does not change the fact that I have to do this far more frequently with my DS4s than I did with my DS3s.

I am not a moron. I understand that things must be charged, and can be charged, and if I wanted, I could even plug in my USB extender as you suggest (but I won't, because then wife/kids/dog have to step over/under it). What I am lamenting is that the DS4 battery life is a step back from the DS3s, which is sad, because the DS4 is the overall better controller.

Just let me turn the light off completely, Sony, and I'm guessing the battery life will improve greatly.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I have a 10ft usb extension cord for when I need to play and charge at the same time. I actually bought it years ago to use with a racing wheel from Monoprice for less than $10. I play a lot of Destiny and I've just gotten into the habit of charging my controller every few days.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Gotta agree with the light thing. I blacked it out. Thing's annoying.

• Options
    I dunno, a couple extra hours of not standing up and swapping controllers (which takes like 10 seconds) doesn't seem worth it to me. The DS4 is just way more comfortable.

I get your point, the battery life is the one big downside to the DS4 and they should give you the option to disable the light. But it's still always the better option compared to a DS3.

And nobody is saying you're a moron. It's obvious you aren't.

• Options
    I dunno, a couple extra hours of not standing up and swapping controllers (which takes like 10 seconds) doesn't seem worth it to me. The DS4 is just way more comfortable.

I get your point, the battery life is the one big downside to the DS4 and they should give you the option to disable the light. But it's still always the better option compared to a DS3.

And nobody is saying you're a moron. It's obvious you aren't.

Renzo was cheekily implying it with his "some people miss this" comment, but I get it's not actually intended as an insult and I'm just playing along. ;-)

Anytime I start to sound serious on the internet, just assume I forgot to append a smiley to the end.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Dishonored will supposedly be a PS+ freebie next month.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular

Damn this is tough.

Here, let me help:

Hotline Miami 2

I've never had PS+, so that's out. (The PS4 I got last month is my first Sony system since the PS2)

I'm leaning towards Hotline Miami (god damn that soundtrack) but I'm worried it'll be something I beat in 1 or 2 sessions and then I'm done.

• Options

Damn this is tough.

Here, let me help:

Hotline Miami 2

I've never had PS+, so that's out. (The PS4 I got last month is my first Sony system since the PS2)

I'm leaning towards Hotline Miami (god damn that soundtrack) but I'm worried it'll be something I beat in 1 or 2 sessions and then I'm done.

It took me much longer than that to beat* the first game on Vita, so I'd hope the second is at least a similar length.

*That's "beat", with the true ending, but not really getting great grades on all the missions or unlocking everything.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I would rather keep the console in my lap than change fucking batteries.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The DS4 will happily charge off of any USB outlet. If only there was a way to get a USB outlet wherever there was a normal power outlet. Why in an amazing wonderland they'd even build such ports into outlets themselves!

Seriously, with the change to the USB standard for power the battery life is pretty much a non-issue for me. Like, I just read that claim and went "Does it?" Just never came up.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I bought a little dock for two controllers that I keep them in overnight. I'm a sucker for a good dock.

A dock sucker, one might say.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch