As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PSN] 22 Sep - SOMA | Afro Samurai 2 | FIFA

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I meant of all time.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »
    Someone on Gaf said that Yakuza was like Shenmue. Is this true?

Why have I never played a Yakuza if this is the case?!?!?

Scroll up a bit? :)

lol, completely missed you saying that.

I cannot believe I've never played these games!

Time to fix that!

It's Sega's best series. :D

I actively avoided them since the PS2 since I thought it was Grand Theft Auto in Japan, and well I have not an iota of interest in anything GTA.

But Shenmue on the other hand puts them in a whole different category. I'm glad to hear it has a recap of the previous games.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    How did you get the idea that they were GTA Japan? They're nothing anthing like GTA.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    How did you get the idea that they were GTA Japan? They're nothing anthing like GTA.

They were rather marketed that way. I always assumed that's what they were.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I don't remember the marketing, but I do remember a lot of reviews basically throwing GTA out as 'what it was like' since game reviewers didn't and don't know how to explain things in a satisfactory manner without likening X to Y.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The Sega PR people at our managers conference brought the GTA comparison. That brought an almost immediate "ugh" from all of us attending.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    The Sega PR people at our managers conference brought the GTA comparison. That brought an almost immediate "ugh" from all of us attending.

Yeah, that's really dumb of them. Saying 'It's Japan's GTA' I can see, including all of Japan's weirdness. But saying 'It's GTA in Japan' is doing the series a horrendous disservice.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Oh, okay, that makes sense then.

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Any Playstation MVPs here? I'm curious what new Playstation initiative Sony will be announcing on Feb 13 (ohhh Friday the 13th...)

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/01/28/playstation-event-revealed-for-new-york-in-february-announcements-inbound/131889/

nusu on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Someone on Gaf said that Yakuza was like Shenmue. Is this true?

Why have I never played a Yakuza if this is the case?!?!?

Yup. It's a pretty seamless transition from Shenmue to Yakuza.

They share some similarities but come on, seamless transition? What? One is an adventure game with RPG and fighting elements, the other is brawler with RPG elements. They're two different games.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Shenmue was a dang snoozefest. Saying Yakuza is like Shenmue makes me terribly uninterested in the series...

Don't worry, it isn't. All the "just like Shenmue" comments are misleading. Yakuza's all about the fighting, with the mini-games just optional things on the side.

Anyway, I have most of the games on the PS+ list but I'm looking forward to Apotheon. And I guess I might finally find out how bad Thief really is as well.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Rogue Legacy is the best game available on the PS4

I am happy everyone will get to try it

I'm not even mad if you didn't pay money for it!

Just bask in its glory

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Sweet, three new PS4 games. I'd eventually have bought Rogue Legacy, so that's quite the score.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Man, I already have Rogue Legacy and Transistor. No idea what Apotheon is. Weird that Thief is for free on the PS3 and not on 4. Well, just another disapointing PSPlus week for me.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    PS4 still isn't selling that well in Japan, PC is nearly non-existent in Japan. There's no way this gets released not to the west. Just isn't going to happen.

It's at least as likely as Capcom dying this year.

Magic Pink wrote: »
    Is Yakuza 4 an open world game or a shooty mans driving game?

It's a big, muscular, shirtless men game.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Man, I already have Rogue Legacy and Transistor. No idea what Apotheon is. Weird that Thief is for free on the PS3 and not on 4. Well, just another disapointing PSPlus week for me.

Give Apotheon a look on youtube. Seems pretty cool.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

Man, I wouldn't even call it the best side-scrolling indie game on the PS4. Opinions!

• Options
    I wouldn't call Rogue Legacy the best game available on PS4, but it is pretty great. Really great. Super great even.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

Man, I wouldn't even call it the best side-scrolling indie game on the PS4. Opinions!

Is it odd that I automatically assume you're referring to Dust: An Elysian Tail? Because yeah, then we're in total agreement.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

oh stooooooop

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I wouldn't call Rogue Legacy the best game available on PS4, but it is pretty great. Really great. Super great even.

Yeah, it's nowhere near the best. There's plenty to dislike about the thing. It's a very good game tho.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

oh stooooooop

Seriously, they rip their shirts off at almost any opportunity, just to show off their, admittedly really nice, tattoos.

It must cost a fortune.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I felt RL dragged on too long. Also unlike say, Crusader Kings, I felt no connection to my individual characters and there was no way to track their achievements. Which was a major missed chance.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Yakuza is super duper epic and awesome. Has the best finales
    and is full of man candy.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    I can't see embedded youtube videos on this work PC =/

Shenmue is the snoozefest, though. I dunno about Yakuza.

Yakuza 2 is pretty famous for having you punch tigers in the face.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GIF of said tiger-punching.

You fight two of them at once in a boss fight.

• Options
    Yakuza 3 had some tiger fighting too, if I remember correctly (at the end?).

If you guys want to play a Telltale game that doesn't run like absolute fucking shit, where your choices feel like they matter a bit more and which has a cool time rewind mechanic to undo choices/complete little puzzles, then Life is Strange is the game for you. I really enjoyed the first episode and am looking forward to the second one in March.

• Options
    Well hey now... I've never run into performance issues with a Telltale game. I've not played GoT, or BttF though.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular

If you guys want to play a Telltale game that doesn't run like absolute fucking shit, where your choices feel like they matter a bit more and which has a cool time rewind mechanic to undo choices/complete little puzzles, then Life is Strange is the game for you. I really enjoyed the first episode and am looking forward to the second one in March.

If you're a big fan of utterly dire lip synching it's also going to be your kind of game. I'm enjoying it up to now but it's really, really distracting how bad the lip synching is.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Eh, the lip synch is pretty bad. Just pretend it's a dubbed Japanese game, and it wont be so disttracting ;D

Im digging the game. Really cool idea so far. Nice to see Dontnod not get completely killed by Remember Me's lack of success too.

• Options
    Well hey now... I've never run into performance issues with a Telltale game. I've not played GoT, or BttF though.

Do you play your Telltale games on some sort of wizard device?

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    GIF of said tiger-punching.

You fight two of them at once in a boss fight.

It's not an uppercut. How disappointing.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

If you're a big fan of utterly dire lip synching it's also going to be your kind of game. I'm enjoying it up to now but it's really, really distracting how bad the lip synching is.

Eh, I never even noticed, probably because I play so many Japanese games. Dontnod are a French developer though, so maybe they dubbed it in French first.

• Options
    Eh, the lip synch is pretty bad. Just pretend it's a dubbed Japanese game, and it wont be so disttracting ;D

Im digging the game. Really cool idea so far. Nice to see Dontnod not get completely killed by Remember Me's lack of success too.

Oh, it's buy the Remember me guys?

Bought on principal.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Shame Koei don't discount.

• Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    How's the controls in Life is Strange? It's point and click, right? How well do they handle that?

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    Not point and click. Move around with the sticks, when you look at something, a prompt will appear to have you press a face button to interact.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    So like Walking Dead?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    So like Walking Dead?
    Like pretty much every TellTale game ever, yes. It's Dontnod's attempt at making a Telltale game, pretty much.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    So like Walking Dead?

Well, no. In The Walking Dead, you have a visible reticule that you move around with the right stick. Life is Strange only has character movement, with prompts that come up when 1) you get near something and 2) the camera is pretty much pointing straight at it. Look at some video of the game and you'll see exactly how it works.

Mechanics aside, it's a point and click adventure game in spirit.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Do you play your Telltale games on some sort of wizard device?

Ive played a ton of Telltale stuff between the 360, Vita and PS4. Worst I've ever seen is slight lag during QTEs, but never anything that messed me up at the game. I've only ever bought the digital versions of their games, though. I understand the disc version of TWD was a piece of junk.