As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Only in Death Does Nerdrage End.

• Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    Played a "learning" game over the weekend of Grey Knights/Skitarii vs. Orks. Wasn't exactly a traditional game since so much of it was explaining the rules, but for all the complaining about the Morkanaut that I've seen online it was MVP of the match. Killed a Dreadknight with overwatch shooting, blew up a couple tanks, and buffed the hell out of some flash gitz with that 5+ invul.

Fun, if expensive, model. Oh and I wasn't the Orks. I got my face kicked in.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The only problem I see with the Morkanaught is the lack of the Assault Vehicle rule. It's got a goddamn full-height door right on the front, covered in spikes and big enough to fit a dread through and yet it impedes the delivery of boyz enough that their walking transport stops them assaulting for a turn.
    Everything else is good though.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    The only problem I see with the Morkanaught is the lack of the Assault Vehicle rule. It's got a goddamn full-height door right on the front, covered in spikes and big enough to fit a dread through and yet it impedes the delivery of boyz enough that their walking transport stops them assaulting for a turn.
    Everything else is good though.

That and it's 50-100 points over-costed, yeah.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    A week ago, I played my last 40k games against a good friend of mine who's moving. Since he had packed up a lot of stuff and we also had to babysit his 1.5-year old daughter, we decided on a kill team match (using the heralds of ruin rules, of course). As it transpires, we actually had time for two battles.

My list ((counts-as) Blood Angels): 1 Sanguinary Priest w/power sword and laurels of endurance (gives the priest, but no one else, FNP(3+)), 3 sanguinary guard2 (one with axe, two with swords) and 3 assault marines. 250 pts
    His list (Smurfs): 1 company champion w/artificer armour power sword and a storm shield, 2 scout bikers, 3 sternguards (1 combi-flamer, 1 combi-plasma) and 6 sniper scouts. 249 pts

The first mission was "Doomsday Device"; there's 6 objective markers (allowing me to use all my Legion objective markers), 1 of which is the device. Whenever someone ends a turn within 3" of a marker, we roll a d6; it's the right one on a 6. Whoever holds it at the end of the game (or rolls a 5+ on a d6 at end of turn when holding the objective, which we houseruled to not be possible until turn 3 or later), wins.

My buddy found the correct objective the first turn, close to his table edge.

I lost 2 assault marines and a guard (who failed a dangerous terrain test, then the armour save and FNP, at 1:54 odds) moving towards the doomsday device. The remaining blood angels proceeded to slaughter the ultramarines. Only 4 scouts survived at turn 4 when I rolled the magic 5+ to win the game.

e24347de-9f45-485a-a50c-f2362f0dde36_zpsej6ip3tr.jpg
    Situation just before I won. The unpainted models are the blood angels, some camo-cloaked scouts are being systematically slaughtered to the left of the chemical storage silo, the the right of it (marked with a blue bead) is the the one, true objective. My friend is to the left.

We had time for a second round, "Last Stand". One player (my friend) is the defender and splits his forces in two. Half come in as reserves, half are attacked by the attacker's (my) full army. Attacker goes first.

At the end of the second round only the company champion was alive, with no losses on my part. We agreed that all the reserves would come in that turn (otherwise I would have tabled him). I proceeded to slaughter the rest of his guys in two more turns, losing only a single assault marine.

A glorious day, proving once and for all that red marines are better than blue marines.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I am very confused. I'm reading Legion,and I'm about 220 pages in. The number of unpronounceable names is throwing me off and I'm having a hard time keeping track of who's who, but...
    Soneka and Bronzi were helping the head uxor out, and now they're kidnapping uxor Rukhsana for the Alpha Legion? What did I miss here?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Some pretty complicated spoilers ahoy.
    Soneka and Bronzi are kidnapping Uxor Rukhsana (who is actually Alpharius) as a test given to them by a man they think is Alpharius (who is actually Alpharius) to get into the Alpha Legion. Now, Soneka (Alpharius) is just trying to test out Bronzi (also Alpharius) to see if he's trustworthy enough to get into the Alpha Legion (but he's actually already in) and Bronzi (still Alpharius) is trying to root out a counter-spy in his organization by bringing in Soneka (who is also already a Legionaire, but he's been mind-wiped to forget he's also actually Alpharius).

• Options
    Actually:
    I'm Alpharius.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Oh shit!
    Me too!

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Legion is simultaneously one of the best and one of the worst HH books. It does a great job setting the character of the Alpha Legion and its primarch (who may, or may not be Alpharius), and on the other down side it introduced the perpetuals, who have been way overused in some of the stupider plot lines ever. Not to mention that a chunk of the BL authors seem to think that throwing Alpha Legion shenanigans into whatever they're writing makes things better.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    I really like the feel of the old Terran units and names. They seem like a polyglut mix of nationalities all merged into the new Imperial Army. Maybe for like just a few generations. Enough that they retain the character of an old world, but are something completely new to me. Still, those names.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    You're both wrong.
    I'm Alpharius.
    Not really.
    Except really.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Ohmergerd I'm Omegon

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    So I made some exploratorus dudes (the guys who find the big bad and die horribly at the start of every story) awhile back out of spare bits.

7gfenj1oagdb.jpg

Is there anything they could be used as for the new mechanicus stuff that would be pretty close to wysiwyg? I kinda want to make a whole squad of them.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Those are fantastic.

I can't really think of a good Mechanicus unit for count as, but we haven't seen the rules for the Electropriests yet.

Maybe ally them in asImperial Guard Veterans (can an Enginseer be taken as mandatory HQ for the ally chart?) or Iron Hand Scouts + Techmarine as Magos or as Inq. henchmen?

honovere on
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    You can do anything you want for Inquisitorial henchmen, there's no official model and fluff wise it's completely open ended of course.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Yeah, henchmen are a great opportunity for wild conversions and kitbashing.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    My first miniatures when I started playing 40k last year were a few Grey Knight Terminators and a whole bunch of henchmen made from a ton of online bits store stuff. I had decided that my Ordo Xenos Inquisitor had a retinue composed of the base infantrymen from all the alien races. I'd just slap a bolter and a lot of purity seals on anything. I'll post pictures later if I remember!

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    An Ork boy with a purity seal just slapped on the side of its face would be amusing.

• Options
    HOLY MESS!

The end of Legion is... awesome. Yes, I had trouble following it, but... dang.

It just makes me sad to hear that other authors weren't able to live up to it with these characters.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    They didn't really mess up the characters, it's more that they glommed onto the idea of the perpetuals, and Alpha Legion as having plans within plans, and then started using those elements in stories where they either didn't add anything, or actively hurt the core story they were telling.

• Options
    LubonyLubony Registered User regular
    Played my first game against eldar today, having never played against them i panicked and took Reclemation legion, Canoptek harvest, and destroyer cult so that i could come out strong against what i knew would be a barrage of strong weapons. My friend ben had never used Eldar before ( he plays Dark eldar very well ) and took Aspect shrine, guardian host and somthign with 3 perfect deep striking tanks.

He opted to deploy and go first, even though i was deploying second i still went aggresive, then seized the initiative, and made him poop in his elf britches, Heavy destroyers wrecked a walker, normal destroyers wrecked a Viper, 1 squad of guardians ate it from gauss fire. His dark reapers hit the tomb blades hard (shit these guys are scary) but rolled good reanimates and only lost 2 from 6 wounds. This Kept up into turn 2 after only losing about 4 of my own models in his shooting phase, and his Wraithlord failed a charge to my wraiths. So i did him the favor and charged his wraithlord...and got 3 rends off at Ini 5 (whip coils) before he could swing. His Spears outflanked and his tanks deepstriked, killed a ghost ark, 2 warriors, and a Destroyer and he forfeited.

We had rolled Emperors will mission and there was no way he was gonna make it past turn 3, i already controlled both objectives, had line breaker, first blood and slay the warlord already. While i know this is far from a strong eldar list they still had a shit ton of strong shooting that wiffed hard against my crons. He will get better and our games will get closer but i feel like some of the piss was taken out of them, even with a D blast he only killed 1 destroyer, and wiffed the other.

No rules or morals except those you choose to accept and live by.
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    So I finally pickup the new Eldar Dex yesterday and played a couple of games.

Boy howdy they sure are fair and balanced! :biggrin:

Took Jain Zar
    10 Banshees
    2x5 Dire Avengers in a Combined Arms Detachment

Then a Dire Avenger Shrine of 25 Dire Avengers

Then an Aspect Host of:
    6 Swooping Hawks
    5 Warp Spiders
    5 Dark Reapers w/Starshot.

for 1250 (Which is what a recent tournament was at)
    Having an army that's majority BS 5 is pretty damn good. Jain Zar didn't see combat either game.

Game 1 was was Vs Skitarii.
    He scouted and infiltrated, then I siezed.
    I shot up his Sicarian Infiltrators, downed a Cydonian dragoon and killed a few vanguard and generally ran everything up the table.
    His turn 1 murdered Jain Zar and all her Handmaidens. Those 3 shot Plasma Guns at BS 7 are nasty! Unfortunatly he couldn't get into combat with his dragoons or Infiltrators. I also lost a few Avengers here and there.
    My turn 2 was brutal. I popped feat on the Avenger shrine and struck the killing blow. 30 BS5 shots with pseudorending HURT. Each of my 10 man units of avengers annihilated a full unit of Skitarii, while the smaller units of avengers killed off some stragglers. My Hawks destroyed the Dargoons with Haywire grenades while the reapers finished off the Infiltrators.
    At this point he had a Dunecrawler and a unit of Rust-stalkers left so the game was basically over. He still tried charging the Rust-Stalkers in, but the BS2 Overwatch from the Dire Avengers killed the front one and they failed the charge. Game over man game ooooover.

So aside from Aspect warriors being super good with BS5, the Skitarii do seem like pretty big glass cannons. The fact that I siezed also hurt him pretty badly.

Game 2 was vs Space Wolves.
    This game was also really brutal. I got first turn and my reapers nearly wiped out his Long Fangs. The Swooping Hawks reduced them to 1 and blinded him into the bargain. Everything else just ran up.
    His turn 1 he dropped a pod of grey Hunters and a Rune Priest behind my lines. The tried to wipe out the Dark reapers, but my saves were hot. Thunderwolves moved up, rhino moved up, blind long fang pegged jain Zar with a Lascannon! :surprised:
    My turn two I eliminated the pod wolves with extreme prejudice, killed off the last long fang and my Reapers destroyed the Rhino.
    His turn two, the Thunderwolves moved up, his dreadnaught moved up and the other grey hunters moved up. Neither of his reserved speeders came in. The wolves charged and destroyed one of my units of Dire Avengers.
    My turn 3 the Thunderwolves were wiped off the table by massed shuriken fire, the Dreadnaught fell to the hawks and the last unit of grey hunters was whittled down at range.
    So yeah. Game over then too.

Basically my army got waaaaaaaaay better. Dat BS5. Dat feat turn on the avengers.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Drunk but !!Auralynx

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    I took some pictures of those Ordo Xenos Inquisitorial Retinue henchmen I mentioned, although please keep in mind these are some of the first miniatures I've ever painted, literally the first time I've held a brush in my hand. I really should touch these guys up though, as I quite like them. I have a custom kitbash Inquisitor I never finished, too.

Anyway the trick is, IMO, to replace their weapons with bolters (or las pistols if you didn't spend the 1 ppm to upgrade them to bolters) so that they're WYSIWYG and then slap a million purity seals on everyone. Can't be heretical if you've got purity seals! And yes, the Ork has like seven of them, lol.

In a completely unrelated note, what's the best way to get dust off my toy soldiers? Can I just run them under water from a faucet?
    Xenos1.JPG

Xenos2.JPG

Xenos3.JPG

Xenos4.JPG

Xenos5.JPG

Xenos6.JPG

Xenos7.JPG

Xenos8.JPG

xenos9.JPG

• Options
    pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    That is literally the best 40k team I've ever seen.

• Options
    I do not like assembling the thunderfire cannon. I've already had the antenna on the techmarine's helmet break off just from handling it, and I've cut thru and broken off a support rod on the side of a piece that goes on the back of the cannon itself. The resin is too soft and the sprue attachments are so large they obscure parts o the pieces.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Ork needs a purity seal on his face.
    Yeah, you can just wash them in water.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I refuse to buy finecast. No TFC for me.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    So happy I got the chance to grab a metal one while they were available.
    *Fondly regards his heavily misaligned TFC metal barrel*
    Fuck...

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Isn't acrylic paint water soluble? Unless the mini's are sealed, I'd think that could mess up the paint.

Personally, I'd suggest hitting them with a can of compressed air to get the dust off before I went with water.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Once they're set, most acrylic resins become waterproof. Paint smudges don't just wash out of clothes after all…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Isn't acrylic paint water soluble?
    No, they're water based not soluble.

If they were water soluble, then we wouldn't need to search for things like simple green in order to strip paint.

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Played some games against and allied with a Eldar player yesterday. The new codex is strong... but not entirely overpowering; at least with what he brought.

In the first game (1000 points) my one Missile Launcher Tactical Marine actually killed all five of his D-weapon Wraithguard. The first two died to a frag missile, the third to a krak missile, the fourth (hilariously) to a krak missile in over-watch, and the fifth to a final krak missile because of the failed charge from the over-watch kill. In the end he only had his Farseer, to Fire Dragons, two wounded Wave Serpents, and 5 Scouts. I got tabled but I think I did fairly well considering the 1000 point army I'm aiming for isn't completely put together yet.

• Options
    I think I did fairly well considering the 1000 point army I'm aiming for isn't completely put together yet.

Well that and the absurd luck you had with one missile launcher killing 5 wraithguard, including two dying in a .025% chance event (2 kills with one frag missile).

• Options
    Yea I'm not sure it's encouraging to hear that you got tabled despite some really good luck and the eldar player not taking the two most broken units (Wraithknight and scatter laser jetbikes).

Personally I'm thinking of just taking my Grey Knights and adding in that Librarius Conclave dataslate (the one that's essentially "take 3-5 DA Librarians, you generate warp charges on a 3+) then having everyone roll on telepathy. Being invisible will be the only way to survive the crazy shooting most codices have.

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    New thread title: Eldar Abuse Support Group.

I'm just kidding about that though.

Honestly, I was pretty lucky. I don't really play to win though; I just play to have some fun. And as long as I don't just get steamrolled first turn over and over by someone that's obviously just trying to be an ass I'm probably having fun. I can definitely see other people in the group not playing with this guy anymore if he brings Eldar (no matter the list).

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Tonight was game 2 in my league. I won! I got nervous when, after 3 turns of being in combat, my Tau opponent managed to kill Lysander. Dude was holding the relic the entire time. The game ended after that turn through, and I came ahead due to first blood and linebreaker.

• Options
    Thunderfire cannon is almost assembled. Some pinning required. I probably should have pinned more of it. I was going to break out the air brush today, but I'd rather prime and basecoat everything at the same time.

Right now, I've got a Predator and a Razorback, and the thunderfire cannon, once it's done, to prime. Then I'll have those, a squad of marines, a squad of devastators, and some scouts to basecoat.

On top of that, had a game Friday that I almost won. It came down to one dice roll, and I had a blast. So today, I head back out to the store, and play a game against someone who had previously challenged me with his Khorne demonkin. We're friends, so it was a friendly grudge match.

I had my current list, with most of my stuff still in boxes and unassembled, three tac squads with HB's, a melta, a plasma gun and a grav gun, a scout squad with HB and bolters, a chapter master with PF and PP, a librarian with force stave and BP, bike squad with two extra bikes, two meltas, combi-melta on sergeant and attack bike with multimelta, devastator squad with 4 lascannons, razorback with twin-linked lascannon, and lascannon pred with TL-lascannon and LC sponsons. He had (off the top of my head) a berserker squad, a squad of possessed marines, 2 chaos spawn, herald of Khorne, and terminator squad with the his commander in termie armor. Oh, and a soulgrinder.

I tabled him by the end of turn 4. The soulgrinder fell first to my dev squad. I managed to roll on the Sentinels of Terra list for my Chapter Master to have a second orbital bombardment. So, the first one took out something, I forget which, but the second one managed to kill all 7 of his remaining berserkers. At that point, I had seen off the possessed marines in close combat. My librarian had managed to survive a challenge from the Herald and kill him with his force staff. My chapter master won the combat against the possessed, since they had previously attacked my bike squad and were grinding it down, so in comes a combat squad-ed set of tac marines with the CM and they wrecked house.

He ended up with 5 VP to my 3, but since I tabled him, I was apparently the winner.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    He ended up with 5 VP to my 3, but since I tabled him, I was apparently the winner.

Doesn't matter how many key points you take if there's no one there at the end of the battle.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

Doesn't matter how many key points you take if there's no one there at the end of the battle.

This is the principle upon which my IG army operates. They ain't capturing shit.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
This discussion has been closed.