Options

Assassins Ball at PAX East 2015! Feedback Requested!

MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
edited March 2015 in PAX East
53v5wba5e0bn.png

You walk into a massive space filled with people; bright lights and loud sounds grab your attention. Your eyes narrow as you scan the crowd searching for your prey. Suddenly a chilling sensation sweeps up your spine; you are being watched. You duck around a corner sneaking a quick glance over your shoulder and see... nothing. But you can’t shake the feeling that someone is hunting you.

Welcome to Assassins Ball, a community social game played during PAX East 2015 in Boston, MA, March 6th - 8th. To play in Assassins Ball you need to be attending PAX East 2015 for at least one day.

What is Assassins Ball?
The premise is simple: You are an assassin with a mission to find specific players and assassinate them, gaining prestige for yourself and your allied faction. After you confirm a kill on your target you will receive a new mission and the process starts over.

For this game I'll be running a Kickstarter campaign for initial materials funding. Following forum rules the link to the campaign will not be posted in this thread but can be found on the game websites main page (http://www.phenixone.com). Please do not post the link here and ask any question pertaining to the campaign through PM or through Kickstarter itself.
zerzhul wrote: »
For anyone wondering, this has been given specific clearance versus the kickstarter ban on the forums from the Administrator. However, any questions related to the kickstarter itself would be best left to PM or on the kickstarter page. Please do not use this thread to discuss the kickstarter (other than if you want to post that you're participating in Assassins). You will also notice that @MarsChelios has been careful to not link to it directly, this is by design.

Your Kit and Tools
Each Assassins Kit comes with a large 3" Player Button, a smaller 1.5" button that denotes your faction, and a small card that you will show to players who assassinate you so they can confirm their kills. These materials are stored on a heavy card within an envelope for easy storage, safe shipping and travel.
v0m1steqloro.png

Player Badge
Each assassins kit comes with a 3" button called the Players Badge. This button allows you to identify people playing Assassins Ball and see whether they are a potential target at a glance.
esmvvdm6sh1e.png

The button has both a standard pin-back and a clothing magnet attachment to ensure that it stays on. The button should be worn on your left arm facing out or on the upper left side of your chest.

Kill Confirm
In addition to the player button each kit comes with a Kill Confirm card that will be used so other players can confirm they have attacked the correct target. This card has a prominent QR Code printed on it as well as an alphanumeric backup code.
fkq92mh4gzj5.png

After assassinating a target a player can scan the QR code or make note of the code to confirm they have attacked the correct target.

Website
The games website (http://www.phenixone.com) will be your main tool for learning more about Assassins Ball, registering your kit and receiving missions. You can also view your prestige and ranking compared to other players overall and in your allied faction.

How to play
Once you've received your kit you will need to go to the games website and register your player button; You will need to create an account that requires a valid email address prior to this step.

Missions
Missions are comprised of a primary target, a range of secondary targets, and an optional faction. Any player whose player symbol matches the primary or secondary target symbols listed on your card is a possible target.

Once a mission has been assigned, you will notice that a timer starts to countdown on the website. After a few hours' the timer will reach zero and if you have not found your target you may request a new mission.

Assassinating Players
Should your target be performing an activity that would be disrupted by you approaching them please wait for the player to finish their activity first. Players are encouraged to be creative when assassinating players but please:
  • Do not use prop weapons
  • Do not do things that could be considered threatening (Physical contact, proximity)
  • And above all don’t ruin someones fun

Being assassinated
If a player approaches you and informs you they are your assassin show them your Kill Confirm card but do not let them take it. Once they have recorded the code they will hand it back to you. That's it!

Factions
Factions are powerful organizations who employ assassins like yourself to further their goals. Each faction can be easily distinguished on Player Buttons and Mission Cards by their sigils, shown below:
fko31lvh0sp7.png

Intel
Intel is valuable information being carried by other assassins (even those in your own faction). The process of collecting, harvesting, stealing, etc. Intel is referred to as Gathering Intel. Intel is intended to be a social system used when running into players.

Gathering Intel
You can gather intel from any player (other than yourself) by visually noting the Badge Code on their player button and entering it on the Intel page.
xlkc3x7uqtkg.png

Your faction needs to verify each piece of intel you submit, so there will be a period of time before you can gather intel again from that player. There are some limitations when gathering intel from players, listed below:
  • You can gather intel from a player up to five times.
  • You cannot gather intel on a player you have already assassinated. Assassinating a player will automatically submit one last intel for that player to your faction, if eligible.
  • You cannot gather intel on yourself.

This is just the beginning for Intel. Just as assassinations have changed over time expect intel to grow and evolve as well. If you have a comment or idea on something you'd like to see with assassinations, intel, or something brand new let us know below!

Meetups
Meetups are pre-specified places and times where I'll be available to answer game questions or to resolve any issues you're experiencing. Meetups are also a great way to find and assassinate your fellow players!

Meetups are free game and a great for racking up a few quick assassinations. Keep in mind that being assassinated:
  • Does not eliminate you from the game
  • Does not affect your score
  • Does not affect your current mission in any way
If you're having trouble tracking down your target the meetups are a great place to camp out! Specific details about meetups will be announced in this section closer to PAX. There will be at least two meetups every day; one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Meetup Schedule
All meetups during PAX are currently planned to be on Level 2 of the BCEC in the South East Lobby (near the escalators, to the left of the Condor Theater). Make sure to follow us on twitter @PAXAssassins to receive game updates or in case we need to shift locations for a meetup. I request that you plan ahead and be on time to avoid missing me as I will be keeping to this schedule pretty tightly.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday Meetup Times
  • 9:30AM - 10:30AM
  • 3:30PM - 4:00PM

At all meetups look for our sign! It will look something like this:
53v5wba5e0bn.png

Murder Spots
Murder Spots are unsupervised places and times where players gather, hang for a bit, and get their assassinations on.Like meetups a few Murder Spots will be scheduled throughout each day. Feel free to start your own Murder Spot by tweeting a place and time to us @PAXAssassins and add the #murderspot hashtag. We'll review and retweet to players as fast as we can.

What's next?
Don't see something covered here or uncertain about something? Got a suggestion or constructive criticism? Think this is awesome? Let me know below! I'm very excited about this years game and I hope you are too! If you're posting a question for me, please place @MarsChelios in your post so I can be alerted and respond promptly.

Help get the word out!
Assassins Ball grows primarily through word of mouth. With the all or nothing nature of Kickstarter I need your help more than ever to make sure Assassins Ball is at PAX East! Help me get the word out or let me know any suggestions you have on reaching people!

Here's some ways I'm connecting with people:
  • Assassins Ball on Twitter. Don't forget the #PAXassin hashtag.
  • Assassins Ball on Google+
  • Assassins Ball on Facebook.

MarsChelios on

• Options
    KnownDominanceKnownDominance Registered User regular
    This looks really awesome, I hope I can get in on this. Do you actually mean to do things that are "Threatening" seems like someone might overreact. Otherwise, good luck to all.

• Options
    This looks really awesome, I hope I can get in on this.
    Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions!

Do you actually mean to do things that are "Threatening" seems like someone might overreact. Otherwise, good luck to all.
    Bit of a copy/paste error there, thanks for bringing it to my attention! Updated the OP, here's what it says now:
    Assassinating Players
    Should your target be performing an activity that would be disrupted by you approaching them please wait for the player to finish their activity first. Players are encouraged to be creative when assassinating players but please:
    • Do not do things that could be considered threatening (Physical contact, proximity)

• Options
    JerkfishJerkfish NYCRegistered User regular
    Just backed it last night for my friends and I. This is our third year playing, and so far it's been one of the highlights of the weekend.

One of my favorite PAX memories was when my friend and I found my target in the cafeteria. He had his buddies with him as well so we were afraid if we moved on the kill we might get taken out ourselves. So P.I.-like, we tried to tail him in hopes they'd split apart. Ended up losing them in the expo hall, but still, it was super exciting.

• Options
    KnownDominanceKnownDominance Registered User regular
    This looks really awesome, I hope I can get in on this.
    Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions!

Do you actually mean to do things that are "Threatening" seems like someone might overreact. Otherwise, good luck to all.
    Bit of a copy/paste error there, thanks for bringing it to my attention! Updated the OP, here's what it says now:
    Assassinating Players

Good Fix, I was kinda worried there for a second. Ill be sure to join in.

• Options
    Jerkfish wrote: »
    Just backed it last night for my friends and I. This is our third year playing, and so far it's been one of the highlights of the weekend.

One of my favorite PAX memories was when my friend and I found my target in the cafeteria. He had his buddies with him as well so we were afraid if we moved on the kill we might get taken out ourselves. So P.I.-like, we tried to tail him in hopes they'd split apart. Ended up losing them in the expo hall, but still, it was super exciting.
    Thanks @Jerkfish‌, welcome back! :D Hopefully now that you can't be eliminated you'll be able to pounce on more players!
    Good Fix, I was kinda worried there for a second. Ill be sure to join in.
    Thanks @KnownDominance‌! Welcome to the game!

So what factions are you guys going to pick?

• Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Backed and sent to my friends so they can sign up! This was a blast last year.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    I've skipped that last couple, but I'm in this year. Looking forward to no perma-death, and good times.

• Options
    MarciaWebbMarciaWebb Super Awesome Me Jacksonville, FloridaRegistered User regular
    vttym wrote: »
    I've skipped that last couple, but I'm in this year. Looking forward to no perma-death, and good times.

I'm in if you remind me Tym :)

• Options
    pujolsrox11pujolsrox11 Registered User regular
    Hey Kickstarter is 404ing me, I want to be the pirate ones, also my friends are going to sign up, is there anyway to fix the 404.

• Options
    pujolsrox11pujolsrox11 Registered User regular
    disreguard that message I figured it out!

• Options
    ViciousEin02ViciousEin02 NYRegistered User regular
    Can't wait to do this again. This is gonna be some much fun. Last time I played my killer was standing next to me in line and he just happened to look over and see I was his target. It's a good laugh when people are staring at you, wondering what the heck is going on. Good times.

We should a late night of truce and play some table top games. That's if anybody is free.

Pax East 2015
    Assassins Ball 2015
    Pax East 2012 & 2013 Attendee

• Options
    Randomfool wrote: »
    Backed and sent to my friends so they can sign up! This was a blast last year.
    Hey Kickstarter is 404ing me, I want to be the pirate ones, also my friends are going to sign up, is there anyway to fix the 404.
    Can't wait to do this again. This is gonna be some much fun. Last time I played my killer was standing next to me in line and he just happened to look over and see I was his target. It's a good laugh when people are staring at you, wondering what the heck is going on. Good times.
    Thanks @Randomfool, @vttym, @pujolsrox11, and @ViciousEin02!

• Options
    OP has been updated with details how meetups will work at PAX East 2015 and give info on a new type of community meetup, the Murder Spot!
    Meetups
    Meetups are pre-specified places and times where I'll be available to answer game questions or to resolve any issues you're experiencing. Meetups are also a great way to find and assassinate your fellow players!

Meetups are free game and a great for racking up a few quick assassinations. Keep in mind that being assassinated:
    • Does not eliminate you from the game
    • Does not affect your score
    • Does not affect your current mission in any way
    If you're having trouble tracking down your target the meetups are a great place to camp out! Specific details about meetups will be announced in this section closer to PAX. There will be at least two meetups every day; one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Murder Spots
    Murder Spots are unsupervised places and times where players gather, hang for a bit, and get their assassinations on.Like meetups a few Murder Spots will be scheduled throughout each day. Feel free to start your own Murder Spot by tweeting a place and time to us @PAXAssassins and add the #murderspot hashtag. We'll review and retweet to players as fast as we can.

To make things easier to remember there will likely be one location for the meetups every day. For those who have been to PAX East before let me know if you have a suggestion on a good place to meet in the convention center!

• Options
    JerkfishJerkfish NYCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Hey just a heads up, but if you try to go to the kickstarter through the AB website, it sends you to the 2013 Kickstarter campaign.

Edit: To clarify, the KS link on the site's homepage, not on the "learn more" page.

Jerkfish on
  • Options
    DaveRHDaveRH Registered User regular
    Everyone should play this. It is great!

• Options
    Jerkfish wrote: »
    Hey just a heads up, but if you try to go to the kickstarter through the AB website, it sends you to the 2013 Kickstarter campaign.

Edit: To clarify, the KS link on the site's homepage, not on the "learn more" page.
    Thanks @jerkfish, it should be leading to the correct place now!
    DaveRH wrote: »
    Everyone should play this. It is great!
    Thanks @DaveRH!

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    This has always intrigued me, but I've never participated. I think I may do so this year. Got my pledge in. Looking forwards to this.

I think there is a typo on the rules segment on the site, under the Assassins Kits segment:
    To play in Assassins Ball you will need to be attending PAX Prime 2014 in Seattle, WA, March 6th-March 8th for at least part of one day.

:P
    I'm usually partial towards Cthulhu, but I dig the Robot Ninjas description a little more.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    This has always intrigued me, but I've never participated. I think I may do so this year. Got my pledge in. Looking forwards to this.
    I'm usually partial towards Cthulhu, but I dig the Robot Ninjas description a little more.
    Welcome @Le_Goat! The Robot Ninjas are usually a pretty populate choice!
    I think there is a typo on the rules segment on the site, under the Assassins Kits segment:
    To play in Assassins Ball you will need to be attending PAX Prime 2014 in Seattle, WA, March 6th-March 8th for at least part of one day.
    :P
    Updated. Thanks for letting me know!

• Options
    GHOST.OneGHOST.One Registered User regular
    Can't resist, gotta pledge $50

• Options
    GHOST.One wrote: »
    Can't resist, gotta pledge $50
    Thanks @GHOST.One! What factions are you leaning towards?

• Options
    sarahksarahk Registered User regular
    Is it possible to have the pack sent to a hotel or picked up on the first day for paxers coming from abroad?

• Options
    sarahk wrote: »
    Is it possible to have the pack sent to a hotel or picked up on the first day for paxers coming from abroad?
    Yep! Just send me a note through KS about what arrangements you'd like to make. :) If you choose to pick up your kits, you can get them at any of the scheduled meetups, info on that soon.

• Options
    Hi guys! I wanted to announce two updates for this game. Let's get to it.

Updated leaderboard and Visualizations
    For quite a while the games leaderboard has been little more than a table of players and their scores. No longer. The new leaderboard is designed to be a more streamlined experience showing you the top players, your own position, and players that are immediate threats.
    49219111ujqr.png

Along with this upgraded leaderboard will come additional visualizations of your exploits, those of your faction, and the overall player population. More details to come on what those will be closer to PAX. Got an idea for a visualization? Let me know!

Intel Returns
    As a faction member you hold valuable secrets other factions would love to get their hands on just as your own faction would love to learn their rivals dirty secrets. Intel is a game mechanic being added to this version of Assassins Ball (past versions had a similar mechanic that previous players will recognize) that lets you interact with any player.

Intel can be gathered from any player regardless of your mission. Each piece of intel you collect will add a small amount of prestige to your score. While a single piece of intel will not rival even the sloppiest of kills, it's not inconceivable that intel could be the tie-breaker for you towards the end of the game.

I'll have more info about these new features very soon. Let me know if you have any questions!

• Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    Only 70 hours left! I want to murder people at PAX! (figuratively speaking)

I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    Randomfool wrote: »
    Only 70 hours left! I want to murder people at PAX! (figuratively speaking)
    Woot! Looks like you'll get your wish! :)

I've been quiet lately here but only because I've been making some awesome stuff happen behind the scenes of the website. I'll be dropping some details about that in teh next day or so but just wanted to say thanks to everyone playing! If you were on the fence before now is the time to get in the game!

• Options
    Hi guys, quick update about a new addition to the game you'll be seeing: Smart Missions!

Smart Missions
    One of the coolest additions to the upcoming game is one that wasn't initially planned. In an attempt to add more data to the game to visualize, missions have received two pieces of data: difficulty and rank.

Mission Difficulty
    A missions difficulty is set when it is generated based on the current state of the game. It's a representation of how hard it will be to find the target from a simple kill (matching Shape only) to the perfect kill (matching Shape, Color & Faction; If you're not sure about the types of kills check out the rules page on the site for more info). In cases where a mission is deemed too difficult the game will toss it out and give you one that's not.

The difficulty of a mission affects how long it takes for it to be reset; as difficulty increases the reset time decreases. This means that should you receive a mission with a hard difficulty you won't have to wait as long to reset it as a mission with an easy difficulty.

Mission Ranking
    A missions rank is set when it's confirmed and represents how closely your target matched the mission parameters. A simple kill receives the lowest rank (D) while a perfect kill receives the highest rank (A). Some say an even higher rank exists to exceptionally quick and accurate assassins.

Mission ranks will be used as a tie breaker. Players who complete missions that overall are higher ranked will show up higher than similar scoring players with lower ranked missions on the leaderboards.

• Options
    Just got my kit. Stoked.

I went to the site to try and register, but didn't see where I could. Is that not active yet?

• Options
    edited February 2015
    "Why do I have to be Mr. Pink? Why can't I be Mr. Black?

Nah, I'm just joking (great movie though). I received my invitation today and skipped around in joy. I'm very excited for this! Thanks for putting this all together!

EDIT: This is the icing on the cake. I'm more excited for PAX than I ever have been!

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Just got my kit. Stoked.
    "Why do I have to be Mr. Pink? Why can't I be Mr. Black?

Nah, I'm just joking (great movie though). I received my invitation today and skipped around in joy. I'm very excited for this! Thanks for putting this all together!

EDIT: This is the icing on the cake. I'm more excited for PAX than I ever have been!
    Hooray! It sounds like a lot of players have started receiving their kits, crossing my fingers for no issues with USPS for once. Thanks for playing guys!

I went to the site to try and register, but didn't see where I could. Is that not active yet?
    It should be available. Make sure you have Assassins Ball at PAX East 2015 selected in the top left, click the down arrow in the top right to show the list of available games. If you're still not seeing it let me know and I'll look into it more! :)

Edit: It also appears that at the moment you need to be signed in to see this page.

MarsChelios on
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Edit: It also appears that at the moment you need to be signed in to see this page.

When I tried to create an account, the site was erroring out on me. I will try again today.

edit: Ok, now I can register, but the confirmation email sends a link that is invalid (directs me to gmail.com/users/.....)

edit2: Was able to log in despite not getting the confirmation email link to work.

vttym on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    That issues fixed now. Sign Up and Confirmation links should take you back to the site now. If you need to confirm an account email you'll need to go here to get it resent.

MarsChelios on
  • Options
    Thanks! Also was surprised to see that you can only kill a person once in the game. Was there a strategic reason for that? Or was it to prevent friends from racking up points by just killing each other over and over?

• Options
    Registered. Awaiting first termination contract. *Beep boop beep*

• Options
    Thanks! Also was surprised to see that you can only kill a person once in the game. Was there a strategic reason for that? Or was it to prevent friends from racking up points by just killing each other over and over?
    No problem. The single kill per player was a change made after reviewing the East 2014s game data. It showed some players were racking up kills in a way that seemed unlikely to be organic.
    Registered. Awaiting first termination contract. *Beep boop beep*
    Hooray! You'll be able to see your first mission 18 hours prior to the game starting, there should also be a countdown on the Current Mission page as well.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Just to clarify on the whole Intel Gathering - Say I pass by vttym, who is not a target (primary or secondary) for me. I can use his badge/intel code to gain intel, but only if I have not previously assassinated him, correct?

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    Just to clarify on the whole Intel Gathering - Say I pass by vttym, who is not a target (primary or secondary) for me. I can use his badge/intel code to gain intel, but only if I have not previously assassinated him, correct?
    That's correct!

I Meant to post the Intel update here today but got sidetracked this morning, so here it is!

Intel
    Intel is valuable information being carried by other assassins (even those in your own faction). The process of collecting, harvesting, stealing, etc. Intel is referred to as Gathering Intel. Intel is intended to be a social system used when running into players.

Gathering Intel
    You can gather intel from any player (other than yourself) by visually noting the Badge Code on their player button and entering it on the Intel page.
    xlkc3x7uqtkg.png

Your faction needs to verify each piece of intel you submit, so there will be a period of time before you can gather intel again from that player. There are some limitations when gathering intel from players, listed below:
    • You can gather intel from a player up to five times.
    • You cannot gather intel on a player you have already assassinated. Assassinating a player will automatically submit one last intel for that player to your faction, if eligible.
    • You cannot gather intel on yourself.

This is just the beginning for Intel. Just as assassinations have changed over time expect intel to grow and evolve as well. If you have a comment or idea on something you'd like to see with assassinations, intel, or something brand new let us know below!

• Options
    Rock on! Thanks for all your work!

• Options
    KumaKuma Registered User regular
    Just got mine in. First time but it's gonna be fun

f7v9h.jpg
  • Options
    sarahksarahk Registered User regular
    When will the first meet up be for those of us that need to pick up packs at PAX?

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Kuma wrote: »
    Just got mine in. First time but it's gonna be fun
    Awesome! Welcome to the game! :)
    Rock on! Thanks for all your work!
    Thanks and thank you for playing it!
    sarahk wrote: »
    When will the first meet up be for those of us that need to pick up packs at PAX?
    This info is getting sent out now. First scheduled meetup is Friday morning 9:30AM-10:30AM in the South East lobby of Level 2. I may be available on Thursday as well for giving you your kits, will have more info on that as we get closer to PAX.

MarsChelios on