As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MINNESOTA]! That thing Sean Bean said, it's true.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The Varsity Theater is my favorite concert venue

• Options
    GhotiGhoti Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Dulono's is the best pizza. This wood fired bullshit is for hippies and Italians.

hiptalians

Yeah, they are pretty good. The cops will eat there, so you know it is quality.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    I remember the skyway and tunnels in Rochester at the Mayo and wow was that aweaome. Especially considering how cold it was some of the times I was there

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    The Varsity Theater is my favorite concert venue

First Ave is probably my favorite. Then the Turf Club, the diviest dive ever.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Minneapolis also has a strong stand-up comedy scene. Acme gets big names from all over to come and perform.

Marathon on
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    The city is notable economically for many different reasons. They headquarter Target, US Bancorp, Ameriprise Financial, among others. The city was also one of the northernmost points reachable by the Mississippi River.

Best Buy being among the "among others."

Also, the MSP airport feels like it's designed to house and move people, instead of cattle like most other airports.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Perrsun wrote: »
    The city is notable economically for many different reasons. They headquarter Target, US Bancorp, Ameriprise Financial, among others. The city was also one of the northernmost points reachable by the Mississippi River.

Best Buy being among the "among others."

Also, the MSP airport feels like it's designed to house and move people, instead of cattle like most other airports.

Best Buy is out of BloomingtonRichfield I only included those headquartered in Minneapolis proper

JebusUD on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Chimera wrote: »
    I remember the skyway and tunnels in Rochester at the Mayo and wow was that aweaome. Especially considering how cold it was some of the times I was there

I lived in Rochester, MN working at Mayo as an RN from 2008 - 2010 then moved to Boston for my master's before moving BACK to Rochester, MN just a few months ago to work at Mayo again.

Minnesota is pretty great and I have a real soft spot for both Rochester and Mayo.

Please add me to the people living here!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I lived in Rochester, MN working at Mayo as an RN from 2008 - 2010 then moved to Boston for my master's before moving BACK to Rochester, MN just a few months ago to work at Mayo again.

Minnesota is pretty great and I have a real soft spot for both Rochester and Mayo.

Please add me to the people living here!

The Mayo helped my mother live a few more years after John Hopkins told us to pound sound when we reached out to them for cancer treatment after she was first diagnosed.

We spent a lot of time up there and was very fortunate to have received the support of the CEO of the company my Father worked during that time. In fact he was the one who found out that JH turned us down and personally called the Mayo to get her treatment there. He even let us use her privet jet to taxi Mom back and forth from Arkansas to the Mayo so that she didn't have to live there full time.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Best Buy sucks

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    @Chimera I'm glad you had a good experience here, from all of the hospitals I've worked for there's some real unique energy here.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Chimera I'm glad you had a good experience here, from all of the hospitals I've worked for there's some real unique energy here.
    It is often rated the best hospital in North America and one of the best places to work. I hear great things.

Also the CEO's name is John H. Noseworthy, which I think is just the greatest. That sounds like the kind of name you would make up on the fly crashing a fancy party.

In the spirit of Minnesota, an the new thread title, what are the most Minnesota names you all have ever heard?

• Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    I enjoy Rochester whenever I go. There are too many restaurants I still need to eat at. Twigs was pretty nice. Whistle Binkies too (on the lake).

I should just find a job in Roch so I don't have to drive an hour for some fun.

• Options
    I never got to explore outside of the Mayo when I was there. I do remember driving last a big corn shaped water tower though.

• Options
    My wife used to work with a guy named Thor

• Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    I know there is a college basketball thread but my frustration with the Gophers basketball team goes here. What the fuck? Losing to Penn State?
    Fuck right off with that.

• Options
    natek wrote: »
    I know there is a college basketball thread but my frustration with the Gophers basketball team goes here. What the fuck? Losing to Penn State?

They're shitty

• Options
    At least Minnesota football was decent

• Options
    natek wrote: »

Considering that I am a Penn State alum, I am conflicted by this.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Marathon wrote: »
    Minneapolis also has a strong stand-up comedy scene. Acme gets big names from all over to come and perform.

I used to be a bouncer at Acme and I can confirm that the comedy was sub-par and the owner was the biggest shit head on the planet.

But this was MANY years ago so maybe it's changed.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    We went and saw Phantom of the Opera at the Orpheum last year.

That place is nice.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Best Buy sucks

The company is trying to not suck anymore. : |

• Options
    The Orpheum is gorgeous. I got to see Avenue Q there.

Talk about conflicting atmospheres.

• Options
    Best Buy sucks

I worked there for 10 years. I fucking hate that place.

I used to love it. The first few years on the job were great, then the economy tanked and the company panicked and they just started fucking with everything.

When I first started there, I was able to provide really good customer service and take care of customers and not worry.

By the time I left I was basically working a commission based sales job without any commission and it sucked.

• Options
    Best Buy sucks

Are you kidding me? Their customer service and relations are spiraling them down into irrelevant and a thing of history.

I have nothing but horrible experiences with them last year on both the store and corporate level and this saddens me as when I was a kid I actually loved working for them.

• Options
    Best Buy sucks

Are you kidding me? Their customer service and relations are spiraling them down into irrelevant and a thing of history.

I have nothing but horrible experiences with them last year on both the store and corporate level and this saddens me as when I was a kid I actually loved working for them.

I do really love the new store layouts though. Much better than the old ones.

• Options
    Best Buy sucks

There's so many people jumping ship at Best Buy right now it's crazy.

• Options
    Best Buy sucks

I do really love the new store layouts though. Much better than the old ones.

The level of expertise is now comparable to Walmart and as of late the customer service is now worse, especially regaurdino post sales product support and exhanges/returns which is now based upon how mu ch you spend with them in a year.

I miss the best buy of 2005 that I worked for and loved. The progressive company that cared for its associates and customers and broke the mold on a lot of things.

Now I have no reason to ever step into their store and when I voiced this with them the reply I got shows they don't care to lose my business despite being a sinking ship of a company.

If I need ot the same day I can get it at Walmart. If I can wait I will go to Amazon or B&H.

• Options
    Only reason I go into Best Buy now is to buy games because I get 20% off with Gamers Club Unlocked.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Only reason I go into Best Buy now is to buy games because I get 20% off with Gamers Club Unlocked.

I'm so fed up with them that I am willing to spend more to avoid them.

On that note I find they often aren't cheaper 90% of the time.

Chimera on
  • Options

I'm so fed up with them that I am willing to spend more to avoid them.

On that note I find they often aren't cheaper 90% of the time.

I had a gift card the other day and was walking around looking at stuff and basically everything there I knew I could find cheaper elsewhere and ended up just pre-ordering a couple games.

I used to love Best Buy. I'm sad when I go in there and see how shitty the employees are.

When I first started there it was a big deal, you had to be good to work there and people respected that. Now they just hire bodies and pay them 9 bucks an hour.

• Options
    The last few times I've been in the Maple Grove Best Buy, they were very helpful and knowledgeable, I'd recommend it.

• Options
    I give them props for having their corporate headquarters look like sandcrawlers.

• Options
    Ghoti wrote: »
    I give them props for having their corporate headquarters look like sandcrawlers.

Pretty sure they changed that, actually. It's just a big grey building now.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Ghoti wrote: »

Pretty sure they changed that, actually. It's just a big grey building now.

Awww...

• Options
    http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/01/28/university-of-minnesota-measles

Bad News MN. The anti-vax people strike again. (probably)

• Options
    Anyone been to a Zorbaz? I'm there right now drinking beer and eating delicious pizza.

They have 11 locations.

• Options
    Holy shit we just came about an inch away from hitting a small deer on the way home.

• Options
    There is a sign on the freeway here, but I honestly couldn't even tell it was a restaurant by the advertising right away.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Anyone been to a Zorbaz? I'm there right now drinking beer and eating delicious pizza.

They have 11 locations.

I ate there a few times last summer. My parents have a place one one of the lakes with a Zorbaz.