As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Banksy And Steve Jobs, Together Again

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I’m willing to give series 1/2 of Torchwood a lot more leeway than most, but Miracle Day is unredeemably awful.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    The main thing I actually liked about Torchwood wasn't the stories, but the actual character work. There's a conversation in a police cell between Jack and Owen which is fantastic
    after Owen becomes immortal in the doesn't die, but doesn't heal either sense, where Jack kind of talks him down off the ledge and works through how terrible a thing immortality is.

there's also a great bit in I think it was Children of Earth where there's bants about needing a passport and foreign money to go over the border to England.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It was fitting to end Classic Who with the Master clinging onto his free will.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Miracle Day is a bloody brilliant concept that actually starts analyzing what a horrific concept immortality of that nature would be.

Then the slowly, surely, and deliberately run the concept and the show into the dirt.

I'd watch maybe the first 3 or 4 episodes. Then stop and say "Then they fixed the problem and they all lived happily ever after".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I always wondered if the Doctor upgraded the TARDIS at some point. It would make more sense.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Eleven's first TARDIS seemed very reliable for the first few episodes, up until he started "upgrading" it and then it started having all the shuddering and explodey problems of the Coral one...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    It turns out that opening and closing the doors with projected will by snapping your fingers instead of pulling a lever causes an immense amount of wear and tear on the engine.

• Options
    I always found it a little weird how unnaturally smooth Twelve suddenly could fly the TARDIS.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I always found it a little weird how unnaturally smooth Twelve suddenly could fly the TARDIS.

I feel like the Tardis regenerates to compensate for the problems the last doctor had but still likes to mess with him. 12 had lot more stuff to work out so she took it easy on him

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The neon TARDIS always flew pretty smooth, for both Eleven and Twelve, with some notable bad time exceptions. IIRC the only rough flights are when it goes to Trenzalore in Name of the Doctor and when Eleven regenerates at the end that storyline. I think any other time it fails, ya just get some lights flickering, no shaking about or sparks flying.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    It used to be that the Doctor had to make TARDIS parts. Now, it has a parts tree.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    You get the sense that despite 1500-odd years of travelling with her, the Doctor still doesn't know much of anything about TARDIS repair. He's like a self-taught mechanic who tried to install a custom stereo once and now his blinkers won't turn off.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I always wondered if the Doctor upgraded the TARDIS at some point. It would make more sense.

It does, when it's damaged enough. This was a plot point with the "pilot" ep of the Eleventh Doctor. Every Doctor gets their own TARDIS upgrade.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Wait is Whittaker like a lot taller than I think she is? I thought she was maybe 5'6" in Broadchurch and Black Mirror.

Also I think we picked a good actress for The Doctor if she's going around having this much fun with it. That was something I really liked about Capaldi and still like about Tennant.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Whittaker is a ham.

Hopefully, we will have her for longer than Matt Smith.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Acting weird and kooky is one thing. That's the easy part, and anybody can pull it off.

What I'm eager to see is how she pulls off "One twig snap away from committing genocide on everything in the room" pure constrained rage.

• Options
    JimmyTSquirrelJimmyTSquirrel Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Wait is Whittaker like a lot taller than I think she is? I thought she was maybe 5'6" in Broadchurch and Black Mirror.
    She's actually smaller than you think, she's about 5'5".

• Options

Okay, it must just be the angle in the video that's got me.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular

It's hard to tell what kind of shoes she might be wearing, too. That would (obviously) also make a difference in perceived height.

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »

It's hard to tell what kind of shoes she might be wearing, too. That would (obviously) also make a difference in perceived height.

Oh wait you're right, isn't part of the costume some sort of big platform boot?

• Options
    Doctor Who Official (@bbcdoctorwho) Tweeted:
    …and that’s a wrap! #DoctorWho https://t.co/im4e7GgY8B

• Options
    https://youtu.be/aE4SWU7gOJ8

Kind of interesting.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    The Doctor Donna. Spoilers.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    At 0.59, that was the door closing sound effect from the original Doom.

That is awesome.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Still no date on the first episode of the new season?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It's unlikely that it'll get dated until maybe 2 weeks or so before airing, the BBC doesn't usually release their schedule until the month of broadcast, with exceptions for things like christmas/big sporting events etc. That said, the traditional other half of the 1-2 schedule stack that is Strictly and Doctor Who will be starting on around the 22nd or the 29th of September, so I would be looking at there or the first week of October.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    If I was scheduling Doctor Who, I'd pair it with a 'Horizon' documentary instead.

Then I'd be fired after a week.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    It's unlikely that it'll get dated until maybe 2 weeks or so before airing, the BBC doesn't usually release their schedule until the month of broadcast, with exceptions for things like christmas/big sporting events etc. That said, the traditional other half of the 1-2 schedule stack that is Strictly and Doctor Who will be starting on around the 22nd or the 29th of September, so I would be looking at there or the first week of October.

I wouldn't be surprised if they time the start date it so it's one a week until Christmas but that's pure speculation on my part.

• Options
    Monsieur TMonsieur T Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Jazz wrote: »

That is awesome.

It may not even be the first time it has been used for Doctor Who, as it shows up in a lot of TV, commercials , and films. I heard it in a movie recently, maybe Jumanji.

Monsieur T on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Monsieur T wrote: »

That is awesome.

It may not even be the first time it has been used for Doctor Who, as it shows up in a lot of TV, commercials , and films. I heard it in a movie recently, maybe Jumanji.

Yeah, it shows up periodically. Always nice when it does, it's a great sound.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Russell T Davies's best Doctor Who spinoff was Queer as Folk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o77w82vqpuQ

• Options
    Stephen Moffatt's Doctor Who spin-off was Jekyll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAbprwIhWQQ&frags=pl%2Cwn

• Options
    Monsieur TMonsieur T Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/aE4SWU7gOJ8

Kind of interesting.

It's weird that this is out on PC before mobile. The actual game looks like a match 3 'puzzle' which seems like a better fit for mobile. But I just want to watch the digital comic sections.

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

That is awesome.
    The first time I heard that sound effect in Doctor Who was when Rose and 10 were in that hell-base in the black hole in season...2? I think? It's used religiously for the doors.
    Stephen Moffatt's Doctor Who spin-off was Jekyll.

<snip>
    Oh hey, Dragon Age 2's Hawke female voice actor! Just finishing a replay of the series, I was wondering what she'd done beforehand.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Oh hey, Dragon Age 2's Hawke female voice actor! Just finishing a replay of the series, I was wondering what she'd done beforehand.

Nope, that was Jo Wyatt - a voice actress. The lead actresses in Jekyll were in Bionic Woman (2007), and Leverage.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Leverage
    Much more relevantly Coupling, probably Steven Moffat's most prominent pre-Who work.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I didn't know Moffat did Coupling.

It was a more sexual Friends.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I didn't know Moffat did Coupling.

It was a more sexual Friends.

It was also better, IMHO.