As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey...Awoo-oo!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Minerva also showed me foot fetish?
    I did not really know until it was a rerun and the person sitting next to launches into a ewww foot fetish talk

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    shut up everyone, Mike Tyson Mysteries is back!

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Minerva also showed me foot fetish?
    I did not really know until it was a rerun and the person sitting next to launches into a ewww foot fetish talk

quentintarantino.jpg

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Didn't really care for Batman vs. Robin. Court of Owls is one of those stories that starts really well especially for a rebooted DC, but then shoots itself in the foot repeatedly with dumb concepts like zombie assassins. So of course they carried over the dumb parts too, on top of stealing/twisting a bit from Morrison's Batman run. Plus they made the cool scene of Robot Batman look so dumb and generic as though they couldn't be bothered to really make it an awesome moment like in the comic. Animation was fine, fighting is so consistently good it doesn't seem to be a problem anymore, I've just noticed these Batman films feel much more drawn out than they need to be, and all sort of have the same pacing: opening fight, Bruce Wayne part, then another fight, bat family cameo, another fight, revelation, then big fights for the finish. Let the actual story breathe, because the climax of the film just sort of goes stupid with the head Talon (voiced very well by Jeremy Sisto).

They also need to really reign in Damian being super kewl kid. I don't know if this is too much trying to wow actual kids with these movies (because they're violent but not super bloody) so they make Damian better than everyone, and kind of missing the growth of the character in the first place. Poor Nightwing, he seems to just be around for a punching bag for everyone, even though he's the best (and I guess he's dating Starfire in this universe boo Dick & Babs #1 OTP ), although there is a really nice scene I need to make a gif of which was Nightwing tossing Damian's cape over his face and punching him in the head a bit.

I have a feeling Bad Blood is going to be another mashup of stories, but holding out hope for it and JL vs TT.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    They also need to really reign in Damian being super kewl kid.

but holding out hope for it and JL vs TT.

I've got bad news for you then.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I know, I know....

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    shut up everyone, Mike Tyson Mysteries is back!

it is such a treasure

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    mike tyson mysteries is fucking hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGqplN_EXuQ

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I was going to say, who knew the perfect role for Norm Mcdonald would be a drunken animated pigeon.

But in hindsight, it 's pretty obvious.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    i'm just weirdly proud of mike tyson

that is a dude who went from living on the streets to fighting enormous men to make a living to prison to catastrophe to being able to relax and make fun of himself.

that's amazing.
    not to mention the death of his child

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

that is a dude who went from living on the streets to fighting enormous men to make a living to prison to catastrophe to being able to relax and make fun of himself.

that's amazing.

Ya I always get mad when people write him off for his past crimes, when, he's maybe one of ten celebrities who actually paid dues for their crimes.

Then I usually roll my eyes super hard anyway, because like 90% of the time someone goes on a Mike Tyson rant on me and how he should never ever have work etc. because they usually recommend a Woody Allen movie within 10 minutes of that rant.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    the post credit interviews are amazing. Like is that stuff real? It seems too good to be real.

• Options

that's amazing.

Ya I always get mad when people write him off for his past crimes, when, he's maybe one of ten celebrities who actually paid dues for their crimes.

Then I usually roll my eyes super hard anyway, because like 90% of the time someone goes on a Mike Tyson rant on me and how he should never ever have work etc. because they usually recommend a Woody Allen movie within 10 minutes of that rant.

he's a scary guy from sportz tho

:rotate:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    i am also going to double post to like the fact that there's a new season every season.

that's hilarious.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    If I wanted to watch DC animated movies, particularly Batman stuff, what's good?

From what I've seen and read, I don't The Dark Knight Returns is for me.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    If I wanted to watch DC animated movies, particularly Batman stuff, what's good?

I haven't watched much of the post-DCAU stuff, but Mask of the Phantasm is number 1 with a bulletpoint.

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular

Return of the Joker.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    BillyIdle wrote: »

Return of the Joker.

I feel like saving that for after you've watched Batman Beyond, because Epilogue aside it feels like a good capstone to Terry's arc, as well as being good in its own right.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

I think Mask of the Phantasm still holds up.

• Options

Under the Red Hood

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    What I love about Mike Tyson Mysteries is that any episode can literally just take a turn to whatever at any moment.

Why is this womans van making a noise? Oh because there's a gnome trapped behind the dashboard. Obviously!

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Mike Tyson Mysteries has its moments, but is a bit disjointed overall. Episodes feel like they're building to a comedic catharsis that never comes, or comes and goes so quickly as to provide little payoff.
    The one in mind is "Ogopogo," the episode about Pigeon and his ex-wife, who is the one who cast the spell to make him from man into pigeon. All throughout the episode a native american warns the gang about a lake monster named "Ogopogo," while stuff goes on between Pigeon and his ex and some of the others. It culminates in his wife wanting to get back together, and he thinks she'll cast the spell to turn him human again, she turns herself into a pigeon instead, but instants later a giant monster jumps out of the lake and eats her, and then the native american, inexplicably standing by, yells "Ogopogo!" Cut to credits.

It sounds funny on paper but in practice it was kind of half-baked to watch.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

Wait, so you did not like The Dark Knight Returns movies? They were probably the best animated adaptations of them all. The god damned Batman was voiced by the motherfucking Robocop. You shiv?

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Mike Tyson mysteries does tend to go all over the place. I thought the rain forest one was probably the weakest though.

I still think my favorite one was the "prove magic is real" episode

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Wait, so you did not like The Dark Knight Returns movies? They were probably the best animated adaptations of them all. The god damned Batman was voiced by the motherfucking Robocop. You shiv?

A lot of the Dark Knight Returns hate is wrapped up in who Frank Miller is now - conservative bigot alcoholic.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

Maybe I need to give it a fair shake.

But I've seen the tv interview scene and felt it was ridiculous.

That and Alfred dying and the end due to Bruce is really dumb.

I have a lot of small nitpicks and issues with the characters that detract from the movie.

A lot of the Dark Knight Returns hate is wrapped up in who Frank Miller is now - conservative bigot alcoholic.

It's more so Miller's love of strong men doing what must be done even if society shuns them than the man himself.

• Options
    I thought the Dark Knight Returns was pretty decent on its own, but kind of rubbish as an adaptation if it was trying to capture the same style as the original. It didn't have a lot of the stuff that really makes a Miller work Miller, especially Batman's constant inner monologue and the darker/dirtier visual style. It was a lot more colorful and cartoonish, especially in the second part of the two. I think that probably helped more than it hurt overall, but I can't help but think of the TAS's DKR bit which matched the visual style better, even though it was clearly sanitized an assload more for the younger audience.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    Or Dot and "fingerprints"

I don't know, I mean the fingerprints joke was a joke that likely went over the head of most of the shows target audience (really, how many kids do you think were familiar with Prince when that aired? Let alone fingering as a sexual act?). Sure, it probably lead to a lot of uncomfortable parents trying not to explain the joke, but for the most part I'd guess the kids missed out.

But Minerva Mink and Hello Nurse had all the subtlety of a brick duct taped to a sledgehammer.

As a kid that was growing up when animatics was on the air and watched it religiously, I can verify that I have no idea what you guys are talking about, so the joke did go completely over my head.

Oops, sorry.
    To bring you into the finger prints loop, please enjoy this youtubery.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xmAC9Qu908

And sadly, that joke got less funny with the passing of Prince today.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Mike Tyson Mysteries has its moments, but is a bit disjointed overall. Episodes feel like they're building to a comedic catharsis that never comes, or comes and goes so quickly as to provide little payoff.
    The one in mind is "Ogopogo," the episode about Pigeon and his ex-wife, who is the one who cast the spell to make him from man into pigeon. All throughout the episode a native american warns the gang about a lake monster named "Ogopogo," while stuff goes on between Pigeon and his ex and some of the others. It culminates in his wife wanting to get back together, and he thinks she'll cast the spell to turn him human again, she turns herself into a pigeon instead, but instants later a giant monster jumps out of the lake and eats her, and then the native american, inexplicably standing by, yells "Ogopogo!" Cut to credits.

Yet I love that episode, tho could be bias because I live on okanagan lake, home of the Ogopogo

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Yet I love that episode, tho could be bias because I live on okanagan lake, home of the Ogopogo

Ogopogo!

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Man, fuck Ogopogo. Bosses that start the fight with an AOE attack are bullshit.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Ilpala wrote: »

Wait, what, gimme a game that has Ogopogo in it?

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Ilpala wrote: »

Wait, what, gimme a game that has Ogopogo in it?

Final Fantasy IV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LQF16Avako

But it's just a random localization change. Its actual name in Japanese is Tidalithan (portmanteau of Tidal + Leviathan).

The really weird thing about it is that it's just some random optional enemy guarding a sword in the last dungeon, but they were so thrilled with their localization choice for it and obsessed with it for some reason that they put out an entire double page ad using it.

http://oldgamemags.tumblr.com/post/123837529273/ogopogo-lives-do-you-play-final-fantasy-ii-to

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »

I think Mask of the Phantasm still holds up.

in my opinion, it's still the best Batman movie

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Is mask of the phantasm streaming somewhere? I just remember having it on VHS as a kid.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    According to canistreamit.com, Mask of the Phantasm is available for digital rental for $2.99 on all the major services, but it is not streaming anywhere.

You can also get the DVD for $5 off Amazon.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Legendary Disney animator Eric Goldberg did a Simpsons couch gag: http://youtu.be/9qcY2ERwmaU

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I loved everything about that!

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

If you wanna watch just Batman movies, watch Mask of the Phantasm, then World's Finest, then Under the Red Hood, then Justice League Doom, then Crisis on Two Earths, then The Dark Knight Returns. That will run the whole gamut.

Still watchable if you want more: Mystery of the Batwoman, Superman/Batman Public Enemies, and Justice League War.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

If you wanna watch just Batman movies, watch Mask of the Phantasm, then World's Finest, then Under the Red Hood, then Justice League Doom, then Crisis on Two Earths, then The Dark Knight Returns. That will run the whole gamut.

Still watchable if you want more: Mystery of the Batwoman, Superman/Batman Public Enemies, and Justice League War.

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker