Options

[Western Animation] Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey...Awoo-oo!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Nobody cared last time
    http://youtu.be/VO6jJnKl8iA

not that it was a great redesign but it tried to be consistent (also the reason mojo wanted his hotages was hilarious)

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoNFgUjSBTE

Jim Cummings ladies and gentlemen!

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoNFgUjSBTE

Jim Cummings ladies and gentlemen!

International Treasure

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    The Killing Joke animated adaptation gets an R rating

no plans to cut it down to PG-13

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/14/batman-killing-joke-animated-rated-r

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Hah, Regular Show did a Labyrinth parody, in one of the last two new episodes.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    It's really bizarre to me that they used the original designs for the old characters but are using a pretty different art style for the new ones. Even if they couldn't emulate the original design aesthetic you'd think they'd at least alter the original characters a bit in appearance so that they don't look like they came from a completely different world.

Nobody quite had the same look as the main characters in the old cartoon, though, so this isn't really new to the remake.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    OH FFS

• Options
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Or Dot and "fingerprints"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Animaniacs was full of innuendo and it was awesome.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

I don't know, I mean the fingerprints joke was a joke that likely went over the head of most of the shows target audience (really, how many kids do you think were familiar with Prince when that aired? Let alone fingering as a sexual act?). Sure, it probably lead to a lot of uncomfortable parents trying not to explain the joke, but for the most part I'd guess the kids missed out.

But Minerva Mink and Hello Nurse had all the subtlety of a brick duct taped to a sledgehammer.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I don't know, I mean the fingerprints joke was a joke that likely went over the head of most of the shows target audience (really, how many kids do you think were familiar with Prince when that aired? Let alone fingering as a sexual act?). Sure, it probably lead to a lot of uncomfortable parents trying not to explain the joke, but for the most part I'd guess the kids missed out.

But Minerva Mink and Hello Nurse had all the subtlety of a brick duct taped to a sledgehammer.

As a kid that was growing up when animatics was on the air and watched it religiously, I can verify that I have no idea what you guys are talking about, so the joke did go completely over my head.

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »

As a kid that was growing up when animatics was on the air and watched it religiously, I can verify that I have no idea what you guys are talking about, so the joke did go completely over my head.

Oops, sorry.
    To bring you into the finger prints loop, please enjoy this youtubery.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xmAC9Qu908

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Animaniacs got me through 50 states and capitols and world countries in 7th grade social studies... subliminal soundtracks for a couple nights and two 100% quizzes that were so skewed that missing 4 answers were considered a failing grade.

bonus points I wrote "Elvis used to hang out there a lot, ya know" next to Nashville, Tennessee.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I remember my childhood, and recorded episodes of animaniacs from when I was off at school. Minerva Mink was always deleted off the tapes. It was only years later I knew why.

Well, I knew half the reason back then. It was the same reason Katy Kaboom was always skipped over. As good as most Animaniacs stuff was, there were some parts that just sucked.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    While we're on the subject, the Animaniacs are going on tour.

Well, the voices of the Warner siblings.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Animaniacs Live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGOGeq-iRRk

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Yeah, and in that same cartoon a nerd werewolf pulls a Jerry Lewis (or Steve Urkel if you will) and becomes Fabio, eliciting the same response from all the lady animals.

There's got to be something more productive than outrage at a 22 year old cartoon.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Yeah, and in that same cartoon a nerd werewolf pulls a Jerry Lewis (or Steve Urkel if you will) and becomes Fabio, eliciting the same response from all the lady animals.

There's got to be something more productive than outrage at a 22 year old cartoon.

Sure, but there's always someone idiotic overreacting with too much time on their hands. I don't think we have much to worry about this either. It's not like it's on CNN or anything.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ze5kE2coe0

pinky and the brain do pulp fiction

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm fine with looking back at cartoons over the ages and saying to them "Man... that was for kids? What were we thinking?!". Some of the real early Looney Tunes and Disney stuff is pretty gnarly by today's standards.

But guess what? You know what happens if you show that stuff to kids today? NOTHING. Nothing happens. They don't grow up into hyper serial killer rapists who treat women the same way as an empty yogurt cup. You don't have to grab the child and run screaming into the woods in an effort to keep them from the big bad cartoon.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I'm fine with looking back at cartoons over the ages and saying to them "Man... that was for kids? What were we thinking?!". Some of the real early Looney Tunes and Disney stuff is pretty gnarly by today's standards.

But guess what? You know what happens if you show that stuff to kids today? NOTHING. Nothing happens. They don't grow up into hyper serial killer rapists who treat women the same way as an empty yogurt cup. You don't have to grab the child and run screaming into the woods in an effort to keep them from the big bad cartoon.

It's also been in every cartoon you can think of too. Batman TAS has sexual innuendo that's barely subtext.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM-yIIu8DQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFnMrXSINNs

• Options
    Justice League: Throne of Atlantis is surprisingly good.

Like, almost up there with Crisis on Two Earths.

I went ahead and rented it just so I can keep pushing through the DC animated movie backlog, but outside of a few weak animation spots, it was solid throughout. The League actually working like a team and the initial lack of any meetings, really good with a payoff throughout the film. Aquaman's story here being raised on land and pulled into Atlantis because of lineage is really solid and the best way to introduce the character in a long while (too bad it won't be used for the movie), and the side stuff with all the characters such as the Superman/WW relationship or Cyborg losing his humanity, it works and it clicks and I'm just going "damn, good job." I know there's some similarities to the first Aquaman story from Justice League but when it came to Atlantis I think it actually worked better.

Plus I'm liking Sean Astin as Shazam's voice, he should be as regular as Fillion's Green Lantern.

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Man, Crisis on Two Earths...

I never thought Adam West could make for a cold, emotionless badass, given his history with Batman. But damn, he's also a cool Owlman!

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Firebird wrote: »
    Man, Crisis on Two Earths...

I never thought Adam West could make for a cold, emotionless badass, given his history with Batman. But damn, he's also a cool Owlman!

That's um.

that's James Woods

Also technically this was supposed to be the Pilot for JLU so just squint and it all works

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Justice League: Throne of Atlantis is surprisingly good.

Like, almost up there with Crisis on Two Earths.

I went ahead and rented it just so I can keep pushing through the DC animated movie backlog, but outside of a few weak animation spots, it was solid throughout. The League actually working like a team and the initial lack of any meetings, really good with a payoff throughout the film. Aquaman's story here being raised on land and pulled into Atlantis because of lineage is really solid and the best way to introduce the character in a long while (too bad it won't be used for the movie), and the side stuff with all the characters such as the Superman/WW relationship or Cyborg losing his humanity, it works and it clicks and I'm just going "damn, good job." I know there's some similarities to the first Aquaman story from Justice League but when it came to Atlantis I think it actually worked better.

Plus I'm liking Sean Astin as Shazam's voice, he should be as regular as Fillion's Green Lantern.

I really enjoyed it. I would even go so far as to say it was.... OUTRAGEOUS.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Justice League: Throne of Atlantis is pretty good, yeah. It's one where I felt like it could have used a tiny bit longer runtime - Black Manta is kind of just there. If anyone is interested in watching the animated DC stuff you can skip the mostly poor Justice League: War and go straight to this.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

The early Disney and Looney Tunes cartoons were for adults, not children. They got retconned into being for children when they started airing as part of childrens' cartoon blocks in the 80s.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Opty wrote: »

The early Disney and Looney Tunes cartoons were for adults, not children. They got retconned into being for children when they started airing as part of childrens' cartoon blocks in the 80s.

i need to see some sources on this.

that's not very true irt being made strictly for adults

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

I see where you're coming from on this but that's not QUITE right. Early cartoons were intended for GENERAL audiences not just adults. To understand why you need to understand a little more about their history. There were very limited options in the early 20th Century to get their news and entertainment. Stage, Radio, Newspapers, word of mouth and the cinema. Even in the 1920s (outside of major cities) most people in the US didn't even have electricity in their homes much less a radio. Cinema's quickly became hubs of news, entertainment and gossip. Limitations in transportation for most of the country meant that a trip to the cinema was often an all day affair for the entire family. Going as far back (at least in the US) as Steamboat Willie, cartoons were cut with newsreels and community notices. These were shown before and after the actual "feature presentation" that was on the marquee.

Going as far back as the late 50s/early 60s cartoons were being adapted for children with shows like Yogi Bear and Huckleberry Hound.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

i need to see some sources on this.

that's not very true irt being made strictly for adults

They were made as the opening feature to general release films in an era when a feature was preceded by cartoons, newsreels and short documentaries. The adult innuendo is a legacy of the fact that these cartoons were intended for anyone who went to the theater.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't have any sources I can point you to offhand. It's just vague memories of a Chuck Jones exhibit where they basically said the target audience was the cartoonists themselves, that they made stuff they found entertaining and that children didn't really enter the picture.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, I don't have any sources I can point you to offhand. It's just vague memories of a Chuck Jones exhibit where they basically said the target audience was the cartoonists themselves, that they made stuff they found entertaining and that children didn't really enter the picture.

It's not so much that the cartoonist were the target demographic. It's that they were able to include more adult oriented themes and ideas because the cartoons were accepted as a general entertainment medium.

Saying that they were made for adults until the advent of saturday morning cartoons is misleading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtcJ7gvJP0Q

but yes. this is about a horny wolf. and yes adult males can relate.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

But they overlook Minerva Mink a fatal error

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    The 50s were the beginning of it, the move to television was the dark age of animation for a reason, plummeting production values and having to adhere to strict FCC standards created a toxic environment for quality. As much as Hannah-Barbera was responsible for embracing cheapimation back then, they get a lot of credit for making stuff that was legitimately good (especially Flintstones and Johnny Quest, but also early Scooby Doo) in this environment. They also tried action cartoons (Space Ghost, et al), but the "Clean Television" brigade shut down the wave of HB action cartoons in the 60s for being too violent, and that was where the era of disgustingly sanitized children's cartoons kicked in, but it was really only the 70s where that was the case. By the 80s the half-hour toy commercial brought back at least the level of violence that Space Ghost and its ilk had embraced, and this time the reaction from the morality crew didn't lead to the cartoons getting shut down, just that stations were mandated to air a certain amount of E/I programming to balance the mindless toons.

Then the 90s came.

It does speak volumes, however, that the stigma of the 50s-70s looms large in the Executive Suites of the industry, although the impact is most keen in the Academy. Part of that whole Oscar expose that came out earlier this year had people digging up other old Academy Awards critiques, and an article from Cartoon Brew made the rounds talking about Academy members who just voted for whatever their kid liked or completely punted on the animated film category.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »

But they overlook Minerva Mink a fatal error

Really the better reason to call out Animaniacs is that it's chock full of male gaze, cat-calling, and general sexism with constant reinforcement of the "boys will be boys" sentiment.

Oh noes big boobs is the least issue.