Options

[Flight Sims] DCS open-beta approaches something modern: Using more than one CPU core!

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    For cities ive found just sit in the airport for a few minutes and then the stuttering is minimal. I have my render scale not set high though.

For outside of cities I can turn it up to ultra with my ryzen seven and my RX 570.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Okay, wow. Even more impressed now. I took off from Lake Travis and flew towards downtown Austin. It was all auto-generated, but I could make out the University of Texas and it's various landmarks, as well as certain distinguishable buildings downtown. They weren't textured the greatest, but the shape was pretty good. Then, like I said, I flew by my old office and then headed back to AIBA. I decided to play with the ATC a little. I have live traffic turned on, so it was super cool hearing them talk to real flights, like United and American. They also don't pause when you do, so I had one coming in for a landing super close beside me while I was looking at something. I requested landing and did so (pretty smoothly, I might add). The tower told me to turn at the next taxiway, and I loooooove the taxiway guide arrows that I turned on. I requested parking and they directed me to a parking spot, near some other parked planes. I just followed the marked path and I was there. There was a pushback guy and a wand wavy guy waiting for me. I then tuned ground services and requested a refueling, so now I'm sitting here waiting for the fuel truck to arrive. I love that you can automatically tune the various frequencies with having to do it manually if you want. I'm also really impressed with the TTS software for ATC. This is the kind of stuff I love about civil aviation.

• Options
    I flew over disneyland and you could see it ok. As with most of the scenery in this game though better at altitude heh. LA is just how I remembered it heh. I found the apartments I lived at when I was at JPL. I flew over JPL as well. But six flags was not there. Which makes sense I guess as its a strange space.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Had a bit of a fun time with the Active Pause: turns out you can lose speed while on it o_O
    Managed to stall while paused and had to do a nice low altitude recovery.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Darn, found something that disappointed me in the game. As you can see here, I didn't have recording set up properly and I was afraid of messing it up. I went sight-seeing to Easter Island, but found no Moai or other significant ruins. It looks like the game renders the statues as either houses or tree clusters.

https://youtu.be/XdmOwsROLew

Yes, I landed...okay...

https://youtu.be/HU-TmHnUBPw

But, all still looks pretty for a simple game on my dated rig.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I flew over my old high school and could read the lettering on the football field. It actually looked pretty good!

• Options
    https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/valve-says-the-time-it-takes-to-download-microsoft-flight-simulator-wont-affect-refund-requests/

Link url pretty much says it all.

It also says Valve is working with Microsoft to try and improve the update process, which makes me think something like having the full game be part of the Steam download instead of just 500MB for the launcher.

On the flip side, it's apparently hard to find flightsticks and yokes in stock at the moment. That coupled with just the general buzz MSFS has been getting is pretty unprecedented. I remember the launch of FSX and Flight, and while both were pretty substantial within the Sim community (for different reasons), I don't remember anything quite like this. I have to imagine this is gearing up to be a pretty big hit.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    So something super annoying I've found is that your AI copilot fucks with the elevator trim CONSTANTLY.

I ended up fighting it just all the time when flying. I'm trying to trim it so that it flies straight, and it keeps tweaking it and tweaking it. And we end up battling.

If you want to experience it for yourself, just push your stick forward or pull it back just a very little bit. The AI bastard will compensate it. So say you want to climb just a little bit. It will compensate and try to make it level.
    I found out when doing this that I'm basically pulling all the way back, and it's level. And then let go and it, of course, flies straight into the ground and the trim is all messed up. And it's hard to get it back, because then the AI fights you to put it however it wants to.

The worst fucking part: there's no way to disable it.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    So far tonight ive flown to Stonehenge, Grand Coulee Dam, Mount Rushmore, around Ireland a bit, and now im on my way up to machu pichu.

Mount Rushmore in case anyone was wondering is not rendered. It is a mountain as it was actually. Grand Coulee Dam has the issue with falls where its strange geometric general shape of what it is from space. Ireland was just to check out some people I chat with's house and it was fun.

The last two I have pictures of though. Stonehenge is an easy flight. And here I am landed and basking in its greatness :)
    k7tsv7o9n21f.jpg

Machu Pichu was a tougher flight. I was flying the same dual prop and its up there. I flew out of Cusco ("Whats his name!?") and the first flight ended up with me stuck on a mountain on the direct path up there. The second flight I planned better and followed a river up there.

Here is me landed all gracefully on Machu Pichu.
    fwu1pa6hphtq.jpg

Sadly its not rendered at all.

The flight up to machu pichu could be really fun though if you follow the river up and stay low. A canyon flight with many tight turns.

Oh and I forgot one flight I did tonight. A fun flight is to fly over Mt. Fuji. I was surprised by what was on the top of it!

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    New York is a stunning centrepiece. The game really shines from higher up, where you don’t notice the flaws in the algorithm and shit looks close to photorealistic

It’s clear that a lot of details are missing but it’s the entire god damn planet so that’s ok and hopefully it acts as a base they add to constantly over the years

Unfortunately this game just refuses to move the rolling cache from my C ssd drive that I don’t have much space on. I’ve set it as D, installed the game on D, but it keeps putting shit on my C drive. I might have to redownload and reinstall even though I really don’t want to. It’s really frustrating and I can’t figure it out

Prohass on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    also how the heck do you slow down in the 747?

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    New York is a stunning centrepiece. The game really shines from higher up, where you don’t notice the flaws in the algorithm and shit looks close to photorealistic

It’s clear that a lot of details are missing but it’s the entire god damn planet so that’s ok and hopefully it acts as a base they add to constantly over the years

Unfortunately this game just refuses to move the rolling cache from my C ssd drive that I don’t have much space on. I’ve set it as D, installed the game on D, but it keeps putting shit on my C drive. I might have to redownload and reinstall even though I really don’t want to. It’s really frustrating and I can’t figure it out

I have the "main" part of the game on my boot drive (didn't even ask me) but the rest I used my data drive for. The rolling cache was set by default to my boot drive too. You do have to delete it, then reassign it, I think.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    In a way it's a damn gift that this game came out right now.

I've been feeling a bit down due to being enclosed, let alone the fact that air travel is maybe not impossible, but a really bad idea. This is pretty much the only way I'll fly back to Mexico this year, all things considered, and at least it managed to bring a smile to my face seeing many familiar places, including some I've not been to in years.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Same. I won't be flying any time soon, so I wonder if this is a good stopgap. Virtual flying.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    So I had to clear the cache in the menu and now the game actually loads instead of crashing when trying to do free flight.

Was able to find my house. Crashed into it, naturally. For some reason my entire town has green roofs.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Follow-up on my Korea flight... I ran out of fuel on the way to Seoul, and crash landed on a highway near Cheongju. Did a quick Gimpo to Incheon flight after, just to loop through Seoul, and was pretty jazzed with how it looked. Glaring omission was the lack of a Seoul Tower, even though it rendered it's base correctly (and even though they had the less famous Busan Tower rendered).

Other thing they may want to adjust the AI algorithm for Korea... More tall apartment blocks... Way more! They got some, but it's not quite dense enough. My old apartment buildings in Anyang and Hwamyeong (Busan) definitely did not render correctly, but some of those around them did.

Either way, had me pining for a visit to Korea again. As others point out, I think this is the perfect balm to sooth my travel-lust that can't be fulfilled right now.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    also how the heck do you slow down in the 747?

Probably reverse thrusters once you're on the ground. Shit's big.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Yeah, just me being able to fly over my city and actually recognize things is huge. In past sims I was lucky to have a forest with some small roads. It's not perfect. Some times it looks mostly like a map, but other times it's downright magical.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    So something super annoying I've found is that your AI copilot fucks with the elevator trim CONSTANTLY.

I ended up fighting it just all the time when flying. I'm trying to trim it so that it flies straight, and it keeps tweaking it and tweaking it. And we end up battling.

If you want to experience it for yourself, just push your stick forward or pull it back just a very little bit. The AI bastard will compensate it. So say you want to climb just a little bit. It will compensate and try to make it level.
    I found out when doing this that I'm basically pulling all the way back, and it's level. And then let go and it, of course, flies straight into the ground and the trim is all messed up. And it's hard to get it back, because then the AI fights you to put it however it wants to.

Heh alright, so I'm going to out myself as a complete flying noob here. I think I experienced what you're saying, but I have no idea what trim is and I've never flown a plane and have never played another real flight simulator to compare to.

I'm playing on beginner mode. So I'm sure all of the AI autopilot stuff is on. I've noticed that I can't really keep my plane level with my joystick in a neutral position. Like once I'm at cruise altitude and trying to just fly straight, I have to keep the joystick forward by a decent number of degrees. It's fairly uncomfortable for longer flights -- having no idea what I was doing, I was under the impression it was just my plane fighting against the wind or something. I would definitely like to be able to keep my plane level with the joystick in a neutral position when I'm in cruise mode for sake of wrist comfort. Is this the trim being messed up by the AI that you're talking about? Or is it just how planes work and I need to get used to it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    One of the tutorials goes over trim. It is indeed the mechanism that, along with setting your throttle correctly, will keep you flying pretty smoothly without changing altitude. The game’s AI struggles with this concept I guess but occasionally I can get it just right.

If you look through the controls options, you’ll find the button you need to press on your hardware setup To adjust trim. On mine it is a rocker button on the back side of the left control. It’s too sensitive in my opinion so the trim goes way too far in either direction while I’m trying to adjust. Maybe there’s more settings I need to find to get it right?

Anyways, it’s in there, but it doesn’t seem to be perfect and I’m not sure if it’s my fault or the game’s fault.

• Options
    I ended up once with like +20° trim, and just trying to fight it was crazy :lol: Not entirely sure what the heck was going on.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Fiatil wrote: »

Heh alright, so I'm going to out myself as a complete flying noob here. I think I experienced what you're saying, but I have no idea what trim is and I've never flown a plane and have never played another real flight simulator to compare to.

I'm playing on beginner mode. So I'm sure all of the AI autopilot stuff is on. I've noticed that I can't really keep my plane level with my joystick in a neutral position. Like once I'm at cruise altitude and trying to just fly straight, I have to keep the joystick forward by a decent number of degrees. It's fairly uncomfortable for longer flights -- having no idea what I was doing, I was under the impression it was just my plane fighting against the wind or something. I would definitely like to be able to keep my plane level with the joystick in a neutral position when I'm in cruise mode for sake of wrist comfort. Is this the trim being messed up by the AI that you're talking about? Or is it just how planes work and I need to get used to it?

So yeah, basically trim sets how much of that pushing forward is done by the plane while the stick is neutral. There is a take-off trim setting that is set when you load into a plane (so far that I've seen), so you'll want to adjust it once you're at altitude and speed. If you trim a plane correctly, it will basically fly itself barring corrections for air currents. That's how people are able to look away and fiddle with instruments without going into a nosedive. ;)

Edit: This video gives you a pretty good idea of want you'll want to setup for controls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DXdGaRgnhU

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

Drovek wrote: »
    I ended up once with like +20° trim, and just trying to fight it was crazy :lol: Not entirely sure what the heck was going on.

Sounds like you guys are playing MCAS Simulator 2020!

Trim is very important to flying without tiring out your arms after 10 minutes in the air. It's probably worthwhile to get airborne, turn off all the assists/autopilot, and the fiddle with the trim until the plane flies straight.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    If any of y'all are interested in some liveries for that A320:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smUGma9M4nA&amp;t=138s

Link is in the video description.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Good to know! Yeah it definitely felt kind of wrong that I needed my hand on the joystick the entire time -- it didn't seem like a thing actual pilots would be doing over the course of multi hour flights. Thanks for the advice! I've only been able to dabble so far this week, but now that it's the weekend and I have some time I plan on actually trying the tutorials and such. As of now, I have no idea what any of the buttons on my throttle do outside of "the throttle part make it go fast" -- I'm sure one of the many little widgets is bound to trim already.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    This is one great video on the system on the DA62.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1fZnr7i_M

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    So I've (mostly) been flying on live weather with players and the like, but I had at most seen maybe a couple of other people flying in the general vicinity (not even in the same airport.)

Feeling like trying something crowded?

Try the Tokyo Haneda (RJTT) Airport. Easily saw 20/30 players in various states of taxiing, taking off and landing. There were even more in the general airspace.

It's crazy that this connectivity is just there.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Ugh, everything about using the Toolbar is miserable. I have to operate it with buttons, windows fail to open, windows stay open and block clicking the plane controls. Blech.

And it would also be nice if the autopilot just admitted it doesn't do a certain thing, rather than just do it badly into the turf

It's just such a stark contrast against how immersive the world feels.

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    It also sorely needs to let you at least look up frequencies from in-flight. Like, the information's already there when you set the flight up. Or is that supposed to be done with MFD panels in the fancier planes?

• Options
    If you use a flight planning tool you can get your frequencies you will need.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Oh my god Hidetaka SWERY not only plays MSFS, but he also has a TrackIR!!!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Good to know! Yeah it definitely felt kind of wrong that I needed my hand on the joystick the entire time -- it didn't seem like a thing actual pilots would be doing over the course of multi hour flights. Thanks for the advice! I've only been able to dabble so far this week, but now that it's the weekend and I have some time I plan on actually trying the tutorials and such. As of now, I have no idea what any of the buttons on my throttle do outside of "the throttle part make it go fast" -- I'm sure one of the many little widgets is bound to trim already.

This was timely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1uFNbhSZBU

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Anyone else having problems getting the Cessna Citation engines to fire up? I have been following the checklist to the letter and for some reason when it comes to the part where I need to turn on the engines, it takes a really really really long time. Like, I'm sitting there for 4 minutes waiting for the engines to fire up. The worst part is, I can't even start the engines myself. I press the button to engage the right engine and it just never spools up to full power. The only way I've been able to make it work is to have the co-pilot complete the engine start up procedure for me. If I start it (even following the instructions) the engines never fire up completely.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    I wonder how often they plan to update the terrain. Flying around my area and I've noticed that the info they are using is from around 2015 based on construction sites.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Veagle wrote: »
    I wonder how often they plan to update the terrain. Flying around my area and I've noticed that the info they are using is from around 2015 based on construction sites.

They've said that once a new satellite or aerial photo has been taken, you will likely see an update about two months afterwards. Of course, that may depend on the quality of the new shot as well.

• Options
    I just did a flight around New York (which looks pretty nice), but apparently you can't fly under bridges. I was having fun in the water with the A5 and tried to fly under a bridge heading out to the bay but it registered as a crash and said I didn't deploy my landing gear. I wondered if the technology was doing a kind of heightmap thing and it appears to be the case. Not sure if it applies to all bridges, but be wary.

I also set up my TrackIR and the sim was much better with it. It detected it straight away (and the software already has a profile for MSFS 2020) and it worked right out of the box without having to set up anything. I went ahead and created a profile to set the trigger as F12 to re-center the TrackIR since I don't think I'll be using the trigger for much else.

• Options
    Anyone else having problems getting the Cessna Citation engines to fire up? I have been following the checklist to the letter and for some reason when it comes to the part where I need to turn on the engines, it takes a really really really long time. Like, I'm sitting there for 4 minutes waiting for the engines to fire up. The worst part is, I can't even start the engines myself. I press the button to engage the right engine and it just never spools up to full power. The only way I've been able to make it work is to have the co-pilot complete the engine start up procedure for me. If I start it (even following the instructions) the engines never fire up completely.

I just tried the Citation and nope, nothing like you describe. I followed the checklist by hand and ended up with two well-running engines.

Only thing I could think of is that maybe you were really short on fuel?

Also on the Citation: holy shit, I don't understand that system at all. :lol: I'll stick with the Garmins until I can get some more info and training on that flight computer.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

I just tried the Citation and nope, nothing like you describe. I followed the checklist by hand and ended up with two well-running engines.

Only thing I could think of is that maybe you were really short on fuel?

Also on the Citation: holy shit, I don't understand that system at all. :lol: I'll stick with the Garmins until I can get some more info and training on that flight computer.

Yeah I found my error. The auto co-pilot missed opening the fuel cut off valve. So the engine would stay on idle and not power up.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    I was messing around earlier looking at the cockpit of the Airbus. I was just sitting at a terminal with everything fully off when I decided to ask for clearance to take off. Tower gave me a taxi route that was a bit far away but I figured that’s cool, ow will be a good time to learn the Airbus checklist. That thing is long but fun in a nerdy sort of way.

WELL! Be careful folks. Make sure that part way through firing up the engines that you didn’t previously take of the parking brake before you willy nilly decide to turn everything on. With my view buried in controls I didn’t notice I was plowing through a field adjacent to the airport.

For funsies I decided to try to take off, apparently I destroyed my landing gear upon lifting off the ground so that ended my fun.

New checklist item: Step one: engage parking brake.