As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] [Recruit On] Dresden Files RPG: Motor City Blues

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    So I'm thinking a representative of the Church (trying to be the redeeming light pushing back the dark or the avenging agent set to cleanse evil from the dark places of the city), a shaman that is has power granted by nature spirits, or a (mostly?) self-taught streetwise Sorcerer are the ideas I like best.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    I like your idea of an representative of the Church for what that's worth.

My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    My vote is always with Wizards and Vampires

• Options
    How many skill points do we have to play around with by the way Arc?

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Let's hold off on getting skills and powers until we have the aspects for everyone locked in

• Options
    Fine by me, here's a slightly refined version of my character Phillip Hess.
    High Concept: Retired Goalie for the Detroit Red Wings
    Trouble: Plastic Knee

Backstory: His father was an aspiring hockey player and his mother was a Canadian immigrant and artist who he met during his career. When he decided to retire they moved back to his hometown of Detroit where she took up a position at the museum and he stayed at home with their newborn son. As he grew older the couple clashed over several issues until they finally divorced and she moved back to Canada. He spent winters living with his father in Detroit and summers in Canada with his mother from that point on. Unlike his father he demonstrated real skill in hockey and he eventually managed to secure himself a position on the Red Wings.
    Aspect: Dual Citizenship

My First Adventure: When representatives of the White Court tried to get him to throw a championship game in order to increase their pool of possible victims he refused. Unfortunately this resulted in a violent confrontation that left him with a career ending injury. He also managed to injure one of his attackers further antagonizing the White Court in the process.
    Aspect: Sworn Enemy of House Skavis

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    Hmm, after thinking for a moment I was thinking of perhaps either:

An urban shaman who draws their power from communing with the spirit of Detroit proper.
    A made man who picks up as many advantages as he can get through creating and imbibing alchemical concoctions.
    Or a lawyer looking to carve out a dominion on behalf of the Spring Court [Name pending].

• Options
    I'm suddenly seeing you four basically getting together for drinks Friday nights at one of the bars downtown and then going out and finding monsters to kick the shit out of

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I'm suddenly seeing you four basically getting together for drinks Friday nights at one of the bars downtown and then going out and finding monsters to kick the shit out of

I love this idea!

Think I'll change the character I was starting to craft in my head around slightly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

We could probably manage it to based on some of the ideas being kicked around.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    If you guys don't call yourselves the Hockeytown Hustlers or something like that I'll be super disappointed

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    So here's a rough draft for my character:

Alice Hallion

High Concept: Wizard with Something to Prove
    Trouble: Bites off more than she can chew

Backstory: Born in Montreal to two Wizards of the White Council, Alice was introduced to magic at a young age. She was a smart student of both the arcane and mundane, though she had a stubborn streak in her. She graduated from McGill University with a BA in medieval history, and aggressively pursued her magical studies at the same time.
    Apect: Always at the top of my class

First Adventure: Alice receives word that both of her parents have been killed in a Red Court ambush. Furious with grief at their deaths, she vows to hunt down those responsible. Despite her lack of experience, the White Council is desperately short of manpower and recruits her to fight the Red Court, and she is raised to the status of full Wizard. She partakes in a coordinate strike on a Red Court stronghold in New York, killing dozens of vampires, including those supposedly responsible for her parents' deaths. It can't make things better, but it's a start.
    Aspect: Vengeance is Mine

Second Adventure: In the immediate aftermath of the war with the Red Court, Alice moves to Detroit, to take a position as curator of the medieval european collection at the DIA. After a friend is murdered under suspicious circumstances, Alice suspects a supernatural connection, and investigates. Confirming her suspicion that the fomor were behind the killing, she hunts them until she finds one of their lairs, and confronts the group. In the ensuing fight, the building 'accidentally' burns to the ground.
    Aspect: Sometimes I'm a little Hot-headed

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I think my character would have some ties to the museum, maybe that is how he and Alice know one another? Heck maybe he could guest star in her second adventure.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Yeah, that could work

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Maybe initally met her through a DIA gala?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Yeah like I said the final aspect/story should bring in a connection to another character.

• Options
    That would be perfect.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Also that's a good start, @KetBra

I think maybe the Scholar aspect could be a little hotter. Maybe something like "Always At The Top of My Class" or something a little more spicy perhaps?

The trouble is good and broad, I like that.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Yeah that's definitely not final, just wanted something out there for people to see.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I figured, it's a good solid base. I like the trouble a lot, actually

• Options
    Yeah I thought it was nice and general, and could create some interesting situations

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I'll make time this weekend to post a rough character outline (or two) this weekend.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh, whoever was thinking of making a character with ties to the church would tie in nicely with my character. As a irish quebecer, she would probably be Catholic, so there would be opportunities for ties.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    alright friends, @Kirindal, @destroyah87, where your characters at!?

• Options
    I'm stuck on aspect names and nailing down my characters backstory/personality.

Right now I'm thinking he used to run with a bad crowd, so the backstory is related to that and the aspect would be "Ran with the wrong crowd."

No idea for a good high concept or trouble (only idea I've got for trouble is something relating to a patient man with a bad temper once it's tested. "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" as an idea for what I'd try to aim for.)

Aside from that, I'm kinda lost atm.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Took a little down time to start boiling down to a character. I'll work a bit on my second adventure shortly, anyone wants to claim the Guest Star spot?

Marco Conti

High Concept:Full-Time Made Man, Part-Time Alchemist

Trouble:Never good enough, always do more.

Backstory: A native of Detroit, the Combination was in his blood from the first moment he drew breath. His father Gennaro "Engine Joe" Conti, was a small-time leadfoot for the Detroit Combination. Marco could remember the uncles that came by for birthdays, the long stretches where Papa was gone leaving him alone with Mama, the police always sniffing around about every so often. It was natural as breathing to him, besides what else was a boy supposed when his prospects were the factories or slaving away at some other sweat-drenched job? Marco wasn't no mamaluke.
    Aspect:Battered navy blue Matchbox cruiser

My First Adventure:"Big Top" Esposito has been having a little trouble with his runners. They've been disappearing in the middle of their rounds, reappearing dead later in the street, and none of the profits from various operations have not been making their way back to line Esposito's pockets. After Marco utilizes his particular skills he discovers that that there's a new street gang operating in the area, the Crimson Brethren. They're been carving their own slice of territory out of Esposito's and looking to make a name for themselves. According to the locals, the members which make up the Brethren can be identified by their dark red berets and odd features that only appear when there's an odd trick of the light
    Aspect:An ear in every pot.

Second Adventure:
    Guest Star:
    Aspect:

• Options
    @destroyah87 my fallback when stumped for inspiration is to ride in coat tails

maybe play someone's relative? Friend? Spouse?

• Options
    edited February 2015
    destroyah87 my fallback when stumped for inspiration is to ride in coat tails

maybe play someone's relative? Friend? Spouse?

Hmm, that's an idea. I'll think on this today and should have something by tonight.

In other news, I had a flash of inspiration and think I have an idea for the character's backstory that makes it easier for me to get the other aspects down.

EDIT: To clarify, the flash of inspiration is having the character be ex-army. So right now, I'm picturing an Irish Catholic ex-army priest. :smile: Kinda up in the air if he's still a priest or not. I've been operating under the idea that he still is, but it could be interesting if he's no longer officially a priest. (ie, not employed as a member of a church.)

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My original idea was for a warden who was in the army reserve. I scrapped it in favor of something a bit more mortal. I really like the idea of an army priest though, very cool destoryah.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm bummed I missed recruiting for this but I look forward to reading the thread as the campaign progresses, the Dresden Files are boss and y'all are coming up with some very cool characters.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    So this is more or less the final draft for my character. Changed one aspect and added one for the last adventure.

High Concept: Retired Goalie for the Detroit Red Wings
    Trouble: Plastic Knee

Backstory: His father was an aspiring hockey player and his mother was a Canadian immigrant and artist who he met during his career. When he decided to retire they moved back to his hometown of Detroit where she took up a position at the museum and he stayed at home with their newborn son. As he grew older the couple clashed over several issues until they finally divorced and she moved back to Canada. He spent winters living with his father in Detroit and summers in Canada with his mother from that point on. Unlike his father he demonstrated real skill in hockey and he eventually managed to secure himself a position on the Red Wings.
    Aspect: My Passport Has More Stamps Than A Post Office

My First Adventure: When representatives of the White Court tried to get him to throw a championship game in order to increase their pool of possible victims he refused. Unfortunately this resulted in a violent confrontation that left him with a career ending injury. He also managed to injure one of his attackers further antagonizing the White Court in the process.
    Aspect: Sworn Enemy of House Skavis

My Second Adventure: After a friend of the family dies under suspicious circumstances Phil decides to invesitage. Confronted with monstrous servitors of the Fomor he allies himself with a wizard named Alice. Together they manage to track the murderers to their lair and reduce it to a pile of charred rock.
    Aspect: Crash Course in Magic
    Guest-Star: Alice Hallion

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Hey hey hey

I didn't go to 12 years of Wizard school to be called sorcerer

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    What's the difference between a wizard and a sorcerer? When the building is on fire it isn't the wizard's fault.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Alright. Here we go. I present to you all what I have so far.

James Malone.

High Concept: Soldier of the Lord

The old saying goes, "There's no aethists in foxholes," and before serving in the army James Malone would have called it just that: an old saying. Only after he'd seen combat did James learn his Irish Catholic upbringing had stuck harder than he'd have ever thought. Not long after his first taste of combat, James was taken in and mentored by his unit's chaplain. Once out of the army, he came back home to Detroit and found his city under siege from within and without. Given his skills and history, he felt compelled to work to save Detroit and the souls of the city's people.

Trouble: Thou Shalt Not Kill

Backstory: Ran with a bad crowd.

Growing up in a bad neighborhood, it's small wonder young James fell in with the wrong crowd. Things came to a head when the then nearly 18 year old Malone boy was caught in a burglary attempt. He was given a choice: be tried as an adult and face hard time or enlist in the army and be tried as a minor.

My first Adventure: There's some fight left in this dog.

Having recently been released from the army, James was adjusting back to civilian life, trying to find where in Detroit he belonged. He felt lost and alone. It's only when he stumbled across something abducting children that he was snapped out of his funk. Calling upon skills learned as a juvenile delinquent and honed in the army, James Malone took out a lone ghoul that was taking kids into the Detroit sewers and eating them down in the dank and the dark. Down there in the deep, James found his faith had power. Now knowing that there was this huge unknown world of monsters and magic, James took a vow to protect the innocent from what lurked in the shadows.

2nd Adventure: Unknown (With Kirindal's permission, guest-starring Marco?)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    What sort of adventure did you have in mind, @destroyah87 ?

• Options
    You guys should exorcise a vengeful ghost killing of made men.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    That'd be pretty cool

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Even more so if the exorcism involves some bare-knuckled ghost boxing on an empty traffic intersection at the midnight hour.

• Options
    I'm onboard for all the things mentioned so far

Just waiting on you guys to call it done before I do a pass over for final tweaks to get started

• Options
    Done!

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch