As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rimworld] 7 year olds can wield firearms. Biotech released!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I had a craving for Dwarf Fortress, but after loading up reminded myself why I rarely indulge those cravings. Rimworld is probably a better fit, then, so I will probably play it.

Is the expansion a good idea if you haven't even really ever beaten or spent much time with Vanilla, or is the expansion one of those things that makes the old game new, so if you aren't done with the old game you should hold off?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    There's a lot of personal preference in that one. It's an expansion that's fully integrated into the game and woven throughout, so it does make the old game new in that sense. It's not a certain area or a certain string of quests -- it's stuff that you do alongside all of the stuff you would do without the DLC. It's really up to you though -- Rimworld without the DLC is a completely full game with a ton of stuff to do. If you toss on mods, there's an even more ridiculous amount of stuff to do. I like the DLC, and think it integrates well into the game (it also adds new music which is nice). But you could really do it either way -- you definitely wont feel like you're missing something without the DLC if you haven't played the game before, because there's a lot to do without the DLC.

It's a game that lends itself to multiple playthroughs, so doing a full one without the DLC and a full one with is fine if you're into that. The DLC adds psychic powers for your colonists, a new Imperial/Royalty faction to join to get psychic powers as well as some of the new tech, and a few new techs and high end weapons/body enhancements to use. If you have the cash, there's nothing wrong with picking it up and installing it now. But if you want to drip feed yourself the content, you can easily hold off and pick it up later.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    You can pretty much ignore the DLC stuff until you're ready to do it; the Imperials start off as neutral so you won't have to fight them unless you deliberately antagonize them, and you can just ignore their quests until you're ready to rise above your humble peasant status and join your psychic overlords.

Although the latest changes to meditation mean that you could ignore the imperials completely and still use psychics; pawns with one of the "tribal" backgrounds can meditate at an "Animus Tree" which will cause Animus grass to grow and let them level up their psy abilities once you've grown it enough. This makes it very tempting to go Tribal for my next run and make everybody psychic.

I'm this close to actually launching a SOS2 ship, having started with one naked guy falling out of the sky, but I keep finding other things I want to spend my resources on along the way. I may also have been a bit ambitious with the size of my first ship but oh well!

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Sooooooon.
    t095g8gpagkm.jpg

This is technically a spaceworthy ship, although the crew would have to wear space suits at all times since life support isn't in yet. I figure this first iteration is going to be primarily for salvaging any wrecks I find in orbit, so all I really need is space for a small crew to live and a shuttle bay. I've got a crew of three picked out, but my "captain"s wife is going to have to stay behind for now since she's a noble and needs a meditation room, which I can't afford the space for just yet. I do want to bring her along eventually because I'm veeeery curious if you can use the Chaos Skip psychic power to teleport enemies out of their ships.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I just experienced a very Rimworld several hours of Rimworlding last night.

My colony is pretty high tech, and doing well. My main goal now is to get more colonists -- my ship is ready to go, but I want some crew members to be able to keep them in space more or less full time without jeopardizing my operations planet side. So I was hunkered down trying to stock up a ridiculous amount of food, and seize any opportunities for new colonists that came my way.

I got a quest offer to look after 12 prisoners, but for only one day. They have blood rot, and three waves of raiders are slated to show up. But I have a lot of doctors, the raiders are all Tribals so really shouldn't be an issue, and the rewards were ridiculous. Prestige cataphract armor, a bunch of plasteel, and a battery that generates its own power perpetually without need for fuel. I didn't want to build 12 individual cells because that's a bit much, so I built them a nice 12 person barracks with a fancy marble table, and a great large statue to keep them happy.

They showed up all on anesthesia, to let me re-capture them and secure them in prison. Easy enough. Then the raider attacks start -- they're big, but no big deal. I do need manpower from my colonists to shoot them and back up the turrets, but we handle the first wave without issue. Second wave comes and same story -- easy to handle, but locking up manpower amongst my colonists to fight them and treat the minor wounds I'm sustaining. Well, I forgot that coming off of anesthesia gives you a pretty high probability of puking, and was distracted with the raiders. While I'm fighting the third wave, I get a message that one of the prisoners has died. I look at my prison, and it's just blood and puke everywhere:

6DC84E404CB37A9D676200A7B900B42417416894

So they either all puked from coming off of anesthesia at the same time, or enough of them did to make everyone else puke and it's just terrible in there. Clearly the puke outweighed my fancy statue, they went insane from stress, started brawling eachother, and a few of them died. Also, as you will note in the screenshot, while these raids were happening my best colonist decided to leave civilization and become a wildman. We arrested him because he's useful, so he got to hang out in the cell with everyone while this was going down. He was fine, but decided to really get into his role as a wildman and ate several human corpses while he was in prison. Honestly it was probably for the best, because I had about 40 corpses on my map and we needed to get them out of the prison to restore sanity to the prisoners that remained.

So no fancy rewards, but I got a much better reward instead. With the mission failed, I was left with 9 unconscious but still alive, neutral, chained up colonists, and no obligation to the person who asked me to watch over them anymore. It was incredibly easy to arrest them, much easier to care for them with smaller numbers and the raiders gone, and about 6 of them were worth recruiting. So the real mission was accomplished, and I now have 20 colonists! My wildman colonist has also rejoined the colony, and seems to have 0 residual emotional problems from my colonist having to tame him like a bear with dominance rituals and the 4 or so human corpses he decided to eat.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That's fantastic. I had a similar vomit-splosion when I used the "vertigo pulse" psy power on a group of raiders. They were sappers, so they were all funneling into my workshop via a one tile hole, which made it very easy to hit almost all of them at once with AOE powers. Vertigo pulse is fantastic because it basically disables anyone it hits for a couple of seconds while they throw up, but between the blood you'd expect from a decent-sized raid and a dozen or so raiders simultaneously projectile vomiting everywhere, the workshop was... colourful... afterwards.

One thing that's important to note for anyone using SOS2; it is quite possible to get stuck in ship battles if you're not careful. Once a ship battle starts, the only place you're allowed to launch shuttles to and from is the enemy ship, so if your ship doesn't have any weapons or fueled up shuttles to send a boarding party, you're screwed. You can retreat, any many of the "ships" you'll come across are actually space stations with no engines on them, but only if you have enough fuel to do so.

The ship battles you'll get at the start are not hard, but you should make sure you have either a boarding party or a basic turret ready to go at all times. Don't do what I did and leave a ship with no fuel crewed by a single pacifist man...

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Surprise! Another update we weren't expecting!

https://youtu.be/fNvMWicpizU

There's some good stuff in there, new psycasts! Drop shields! Jump packs! The ability to choose your reward for earning a noble title when you rank up from a perk tree!

Probably the part I'm most excited for though is the custom difficulty menu, where you can pick a difficulty setting using a bunch of different sliders rather than just a storyteller and a fixed difficulty setting.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Broke my save in progress just by *loading" it (then switching back to the previous version). Tho that could have been a mod updating?

• Options
    Yeah, to no great surprise this is going to break a lot of mods. I might have to try a mod-light playthrough, maybe play around with some custom settings and give myself faster research or something since waiting for tech seems to be what always bogs my games down. Maybe I'll try that "everyone is tribal psychics" run I was considering. With some of the new non-combat psycasts mentioned in the video that could potentially be incredibly powerful.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Dang, yeah I'm likeee 45 hours into my stupid SoS save of infinite material grinding (it's honestly a lot of fun!) -- may need to finish it out on the beta old patch branch.

I definitely want to try a tribal psychic run through at some point, because the Anima tree stuff is sweet.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PNASPNAS Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Yeah, to no great surprise this is going to break a lot of mods. I might have to try a mod-light playthrough, maybe play around with some custom settings and give myself faster research or something since waiting for tech seems to be what always bogs my games down. Maybe I'll try that "everyone is tribal psychics" run I was considering. With some of the new non-combat psycasts mentioned in the video that could potentially be incredibly powerful.

190 mods here - Back to 1.1 for a spell, hugslib will get updated sometime.

• Options
    Hugslib is updated as of... I don't know when, but its updated now.

One thing I immediately noticed upon starting a new game was that SOS2 now comes with two new starts; Derelict Ship and Derelict Station, which are pretty much what they sound like. In Derelict Ship you have basically the same scenario as the original "crashlanded" except rather than starting on the planet in escape pods, your ship is broken and full of holes but not actually crashed yet. Derelict Station has you starting in a station overrun by bugs with several possible ships to choose from, but only one intact bridge (and you don't start with the tech to make more). So basically you can either choose one of the available ships to install the bridge on and escape, or try to take on the bugs and salvage the whole station.

My "all tribal psycasters" run might have to wait, because the possibilities here are fascinating.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Started a new game today and did something I've never done: spent about an hour planning out the entire base before I even unpause the game. Roughly following this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOehtx-dAOU

Seems to be a lot of solid advice in there. I still need to figure out what to do about a killbox, though.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    My artist in my latest game keeps making statues to commemorate her making statues.

Meanwhile one of the Royalty quests spawned eighteen hives into my base. Thankfully off into the underground farm area I hadn't finished, so it was nice and tight with a choke point and gun positions at the other end. So..much..insect...meat..

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Does anyone know how or if there is a mod available to set something akin to an IF-ELSE-THEN for Colonists' clothing and armor?

Like, if I set quality to GOOD or better and condition 60% or better, my guys will try to wear that 65% Good steel helmet instead of that 60% Normal Marine helmet, or whatever.

Effectively, I want something that prioritizes Normal or Better endgame armor (Grenadier, Locust, Phoenix, Marine, Recon), then permits Good lower-tiered armor

I can Force Wear them but that breaks functionality with the Armor Racks mod

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I'd be satisfied if the made it so that when you forced someone to put on pants it didn't make so they think you want them to wear them till they fall apart.
    Dude I just wanted you to wear literally any clothes because you were complaining about being cold and naked when there was clothing right there.
    You're allowed to change clothing when it gets old. It's not fault the game only lets me force equip and force remove.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    There's a clear forced apparel button...
    ...somewhere.

• Options
    Garthor wrote: »
    There's a clear forced apparel button...
    ...somewhere.

In Assign, but I have so many mods active I'm not sure if that's the base UI or not.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Awesome to see that the Rimworld thread got bumped! Some day I will complete my 100+ hour spaceship run; it manages to be very fun but also take a really long time at the same time, which is kind of impressive.

I'm here to briefly shill my thread for Amazing Cultivation Simulator. If anyone wants a very feature rich wacky Chinese Taoist version of Rimworld, it's worth checking out to mix it up! The basics are very similar to Rimworld (UI elements being almost exactly the same in some cases), but it branches off into creating ridiculously overpowered Qi wielding martial arts badasses who are trying to ascend to godhood. The start is similar, but the mid/endgame is crazy and different enough that I'll be playing both for a long time.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hihEhsdwiIk

So after a very long time of waiting for this to go on a proper sale (I R skinflint), the whopping 10% sale (and a random spiffing brit video) finally persuaded me to jump into Rimworld. I've played a reasonable amount of Dwarf Fortress and very much enjoy anything sci-fi related, so it seems like it would be a good fit right... right.

Yes, right. So very, very right.

I was actually hesitant to necro the thread, but then what do I see posted this morning. Nothing but an entire 1.3 update and associated DLC!. It's in preview now, but release is only about 2 weeks out.

Which does allow me to ask the question as to which mods for a vanilla-ish but improved QoL do folks use? Just so I can get super sad when they never update to use 1.3.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Dang a new DLC and Update?

Well there goes another few hundred hours of my life.

At least I'll have until they update all my usual mods before I hop back in.

• Options
    Oh shit! I was wondering when they would do another DLC -- it seemed destined to happen!

I've also been playing a ton lately. I'm on my second very long save attempt to build the coolest ship in Save Our Ship 2. It finally dawned on me how massive some of the ships in the mod are, and I'm doing everything I can to rapidly scale up my tiny peasant ship in anticipation of some real ship combat. The material requirements are quite steep, but it definitely gives you a new stage of progression when you're at what would normally be "end game" with an army of bionic cyborg colonists. You can eventually build your own Arcotect AI core, and I'm excited to finally get a proper ship with giant spinal mounted weapons and such.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Campy wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hihEhsdwiIk

So after a very long time of waiting for this to go on a proper sale (I R skinflint), the whopping 10% sale (and a random spiffing brit video) finally persuaded me to jump into Rimworld. I've played a reasonable amount of Dwarf Fortress and very much enjoy anything sci-fi related, so it seems like it would be a good fit right... right.

Yes, right. So very, very right.

I was actually hesitant to necro the thread, but then what do I see posted this morning. Nothing but an entire 1.3 update and associated DLC!. It's in preview now, but release is only about 2 weeks out.

Which does allow me to ask the question as to which mods for a vanilla-ish but improved QoL do folks use? Just so I can get super sad when they never update to use 1.3.

Since I have a bit more time now, I can help with the mod question a bit.

A solid starting point is the Vanilla Expanded series. It's all pretty high quality work, and typically fits with the vanilla theme super well! Some of it may be a tad overpowered for a first time playthrough, but the material costs for the high tech stuff is also generally pretty high in advanced components and plasteel. A solid variety to pick and choose from.

Aside from that, there are honestly a ton of QoL mods that I love and would be very sad without them. Here's a few:

Better Loading -- pretty much made for when you have lotsa mods. It gives you more detail on why your game is loading, instead of having it just freeze up for ?? minutes.
    Pharmacist -- lets you set the quality of medicine used for certain medical tasks. No more wasting glitterworld medicine on minor cuts and bruises.
    Wall Lights -- possibly the most important -- pretty lights that attach to walls instead of cluttering up rooms and having wires everywhere.
    LWM's Deep Storage -- adds specialized storage to allow you to stack more stuff on less tiles -- by default you'll use like half of your map just to store stuff end game, and I'm not a fan. Can be customized a lot in mod settings.
    AllowTool -- UI selection enhancements that can make various tasks much easier. You can right click an ore vein to mine all connected ores, or select every (visible) tile of the same type you have highlighted, and lots of other stuff.
    Trade Ships Drop Spot -- lets you tell trade ships where to drop off cargo.
    RimHUD -- a lot of nice UI improvements to make colonist information more visible without having to open up submenus all of the time.
    Prepare Carefully -- can make the game a lot easier, or just save you from hitting random a billion times depending on your playstyle. Create custom colonists to start -- uses a point system by default to keep you from getting too crazy, but can be disabled if you want.
    Quality Builder -- makes constructions that have a quality rating (furniture and such) only be built by the highest skill builder you have, or you can set a skill cap in the mod settings (only people with 15+ skill or what have you). Other constructors will still gather and deposit material, and build qualityless stuff.
    Blueprints -- copy a room you've made, and paste a blueprint to be built in bulk to save lots of time building the same bedroom over and over.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    What does everyone do for more steel? I always find that I am running low.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Excursions out of my zone with mining parties, and pray for decent accessible veins in the small camping maps.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Dixon wrote: »
    What does everyone do for more steel? I always find that I am running low.

Scanning for a deposit with a long range scanner typically nets likee 2000, and you can also send a caravan out to a hilly/mountainous region and set up a second outpost there without needing the scanners. You can set up a temporary base, strip mine everything in sight, and move on/abandon it when you've plundered all of its riches and transported them back.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    Just got the base game recently. Extremely addictive.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Aside from already mentioned- Deep Storage, Wall Light and RimHud are amazing- I recommend Pick up and Haul (regular or Continued; Continued is a little less buggy right now but won't be updated). Did you know the colonists have an inventory, complete with weight limits? Did you know they won't use it to haul things? If that seems as silly as it sounds, Pick up and Haul fixes that.

Also if you install a lot of mods, get RimPy. Makes things a lot easier.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    After two very lengthy attempts and a lot materials, I finally have a proper combat ready ship with some huge lasers:

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

Honestly it's still embarrassingly small compared to some of the monstrosities I've seen posted in their discord, and I expect it to change forms more often than a DBZ villain before its completion. But I blew up some ships and it's a lot of fun! I'm using the latest release candidate/beta version of SoS2 from their discord, as it has a few cool updates that aren't on the Steam version yet, including making it load about 10x faster.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    We've got another info dump for the DLC with additional details it looks like. There are a lot of cool screenshots, but some highlights include:

1) Yes you can make one of your colonists the Pope
    2) Smokeleaf vision quest party rituals if you pick a particularly relaxed Ideology

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    how the hell is this still the OP for Rimworld? Updated title to reflect the new DLC!

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I've been having a blast with my 3rd attempt at a settlement. Decided that playing with Randy Random was a good idea, which up until now it totally was...

The combination of a volcanic winter followed by a smoke belching mech cluster and EMP mech cluster and a has meant that I could grow nothing outside for about a year. My shiny new hydroponics centre was working wonders until the aforementioned EMP cluster showed up... With the end of the volcanic winter warming everything up again, my final supplies of meat have finally rotted away in my no-longer-freezing freezer.

In the meantime I've scraped together enough crafting time for some half decent industrial level weapons and armour and am going mech hunting.

Must confess I did cheat with a little googling on what to expect form the mech clusters, so I'm bringing a smoke launcher so any turrets won't make mincemeat of my food-starved and bedraggled force.

Campy on
  • Options
    Sounds like you're doing it right to me! It's definitely a learn through terrible pain and slow death kind of game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    If you're playing modded right now I strongly recommend making a local copy of all your mods. If a mod author updates or deletes their mod you can copy the backup into the local folder.

This post brought to you by discovering that if a mod author deletes a mod or changes the SteamID, Steam will helpfully delete it from your PC and break your ongoing game. Fortunately I had aleady backed up.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    If you're playing modded right now I strongly recommend making a local copy of all your mods. If a mod author updates or deletes their mod you can copy the backup into the local folder.

This post brought to you by discovering that if a mod author deletes a mod or changes the SteamID, Steam will helpfully delete it from your PC and break your ongoing game. Fortunately I had aleady backed up.

Yeaaah I did that yesterday, and I guess a Vanilla Plus mod updated right before that and jacked up their 1.2 version. Luckily they un-messed it up today, and I was able to locate a 1.2 version as well. But always be careful!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I'm guessing from the repeated messages from the devs in their announcements of "do not have to kill 1.2 support, please don't kill 1.2 support" that this might be an issue going forward.

In play through related news, exciting/cheesy scenes at the EMF genny.

I'd attempted to setup a kill zone and was kiting the mechs round one by one to the back of their little building. I'd managed to destroy about half of them this way, but two of my dudes got some pretty bad wounds from a lancer and I hadn't even started taking on the turrets.

I was packing up to leave when I notice that the building the mechs were guarding was built from a standard in game wall. So I dismantled a doorway from the hidden area behind it and lo and behold, the EMF genny was sat there unguarded. Several shotgun blasts and ultratech sword smites later it was destroyed and I managed to limp away! Seemed a little cheesy, but also fuck those mechs.

I thought my team were going to starve on the way back, but fortunately I had taken the choice of food drop when I hit 75 relations with the empire.

My crack(ed out) squad returned home to a heroes welcome and a hydroponics bay overflowing with food!

It's summer now and the smoke cloud actually means that the temps don't get too hot, so my fields are growing like gangbusters. I had a little trouble with some not so friendly refugees and simultaneous tribal attack (thanks randy...) which led to my 2nd death. But once autumn comes I'm going to load up and take out this final mech cluster.

Presuming Randy doesn't have any other plans for me in the interim anyway...

Campy on
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Ideology Release date has been confirmed -- 2 days from now on Tuesday, July 20th. Wooh! That post also has info on the new "dryads", who are nothing like dryads I expected but it looks like a pretty damn involved and cool system!

Now I need to decide if I'm going to "finish" my current runs or hop on it ASAP. It looks like old saves will work in 1.3 and with the DLC technically, but you can't choose an ideology sooo not much point. Either way, I wanted to start a fresh one for the DLC, but definitely decision time...

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to playing another game since there's been quite a bit updated since I last played. After a few weeks to let them update it, I'm eager to try that SOS2 mod someone mentioned previously.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    swphreak wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to playing another game since there's been quite a bit updated since I last played. After a few weeks to let them update it, I'm eager to try that SOS2 mod someone mentioned previously.

It's a really good mod! I'm leaning towards sticking to my 1.2 (pre-ideolology) saves for a couple of days because a few of the huge content mods I'm using aren't in 1.3 yet. I tossed on A Rimworld of Magic to my new save and it's pretty amazing as well -- definitely gives you some OP colonists if you start them as wizards, but tweaking difficulty sliders to balance it out with harder raids is always pretty easy.

But it's up to all of you to post cool stuff about Ideology to break my resolve!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    So, new DLC installed and... I like it.
    There's a few things that could be a lot clearer, for instance, I can't install special shamanistic tiles because the builder needs to...be something...but it's completely unclear to me what and how I need to train/promote/gang-press her into the role, or if it's just a different piece missing.
    Also, they added ancient broken down junk to my map, and cool, but also.. I don't know how to get rid of the larger parts, there seems to be no disassembly option?

And finally, I feel we completely got away from our cowboys in space theme, as half my group is walking around with veils, and the other half is wearing a wolf as a hat.