As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rimworld] 7 year olds can wield firearms. Biotech released!

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    In Moletown my underground Molepriests loooove being in caves but I can't figure out how to grow fungus? I even made the fungal gravel but it didn't seem to do anything. Any ideas what I am missing? Also I can't find the animal pen tab anywhere. Is it in zones and I just don't see it?

• Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    In Moletown my underground Molepriests loooove being in caves but I can't figure out how to grow fungus? I even made the fungal gravel but it didn't seem to do anything. Any ideas what I am missing? Also I can't find the animal pen tab anywhere. Is it in zones and I just don't see it?

under architecture you can find general fences and gates under Structure, but this isn't enough to make a pasture, if you look under Architecture->Misc, you'll see a little grave marker between Grand Steele and Ship landing beacon. Place one of those signposts that really look like a grave marker inside an enclosed area, and you can select it and customize the animal enclosure.

About your mole-problems: I don't quite know, as I'm raising Sun Feminists, but I do know that the enclosed area must be completely dark for the fungus to grow. Nutrifungus are the fungus you're looking for and are an option from the grow-area dropdown

Dibbit on
  • Options
    Dibbit wrote: »

under architecture you can find general fences and gates under Structure, but this isn't enough to make a pasture, if you look under Architecture->Misc, you'll see a little grave marker between Grand Steele and Ship landing beacon. Place one of those signposts that really look like a grave marker inside an enclosed area, and you can select it and customize the animal enclosure.

About your mole-problems: I don't quite know, as I'm raising Sun Feminists, but I do know that the enclosed area must be completely dark for the fungus to grow. Nutrifungus are the fungus you're looking for and are an option from the grow-area dropdown
    Thank you!! I successfully made some fungal gravel in a dark area and planted some nutrifungus. This should help my mole people stay healthy as they prefer fungi.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Taken out of context, this is one of the greatest sentences ever written.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    So do the new religions allow you to enforce certain traits on your colonists? So, just for example, you want to make a cult of sadomasochistic satanic cannibals. In 1.2 and earlier you'd need to luck out/mod everyone to have the cannibal trait, right? Does the religion push everyone towards its ethoses (ethe?!)?

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Campy wrote: »
    So do the new religions allow you to enforce certain traits on your colonists? So, just for example, you want to make a cult of sadomasochistic satanic cannibals. In 1.2 and earlier you'd need to luck out/mod everyone to have the cannibal trait, right? Does the religion push everyone towards its ethoses (ethe?!)?

There are a few "religions / cultures" active in the gameworld (and you can create your own variant too) and these have:
    -Precepts: basically, opinions on things, like: "Cannibalisms => good / bad / mandatory" or "Female clothing => Bikini only / Burka" or "Tree cutting => good / bad"
    -Roles: Every Culture has 3 or so roles, like, priest or leader. These peeps get extra abilities to do, have extra needs and are sometimes needed for rituals
    -Rituals: Kind of like parties used to be, you can order rituals at ritual places, these can vary from "party at Johns table" to "Respectful Funeral" to "Sacrifice a Slave and eat him!"
    -Buildings: Every religion has some unique things you can build, mostly to help with rituals, from what I've seen
    -Relics: Super weapons that have a quest line to obtain, Don't have them yet, so don't know if you can actually wield them
    -Preferences in: weapons, Animals and apparel
    -Special appearance, like unique beards for the cowboy faction
    -Styles: There are like...4 styles, and a culture has 1. Pawns of that culture can build items in that style, also, there are some unique buildings per style. (like, special wooden animal totems, and Spikey-Cyber seats)

Every pawn belongs to a religion, and will become upset if the colony does things against the religion, and happy if you follow it. Also, some religions are "tolerant" and just become happy if there are many religions.
    I think that every religion has the Priest role, a priest can try to convert someone to their religion, so if you want everyone to be mole-people, you can sic the High-mole priest on them.

There are also some special things, like I know that the tree hugger faction can grow Dryads and ents and stuff. I wouldn't know how because everyone gets converted to be a Bene Geserrit Feminist in my colony: No Hippies allowed!

So yes, you can totally make a Free Love Cannibalism religion that mandates that everyone body-modifies themselves with cyber-hands while the women only wear corsets and fancy hats.

Dibbit on
  • Options
    My mole people died to well not having any food really and also because they were also nudists they kept getting horribly injured during attacks. Might have to pick a better balance. Rest in peace naked Mole People of Mole Town.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    My mole people died to well not having any food really and also because they were also nudists they kept getting horribly injured during attacks. Might have to pick a better balance. Rest in peace naked Mole People of Mole Town.

My Sun Feminist are thriving...but I read them wrong, and when I picked them, I didn't realize everything about them.
    Turns out, they're polygamous and higher levels MANDATE drug use.

And I have 1 noblewomen who:
    - can't perform dumb labor
    - has no skills except Intelligence and Social
    - Can basically only do research
    - Is the Priest & my highest noble
    - Needs drugs due to her station
    - has 3 husbands
    - Refuses to marry anyone else
    - Other women can have lovers, but sharing a bed (or making love) is forbidden until they're married, so half of my colony is frustrated because they can't sleep together.
    - Mediates on her throne half the day
    - Uses the "fat" pawn.

So she basically runs around camp the whole day between researching and sitting in her impressive throne room, denying everyone else a sex live while having 3 husband and binging on my Ambrosia reserves.

So instead of my bad-ass Space Amazons that I thought I was going for, I accidentally made The Duchess Harkonnen.

Dibbit on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Are there any curated modlists out there that would take the pain out of figuring out what works well together?

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Casual wrote: »
    Are there any curated modlists out there that would take the pain out of figuring out what works well together?

I don't know of any. I know there are some big mods, such as Combat extended. and there is a total conversion mod that makes it all Star wars... Rim-wars, I think.

But I'm currently running mod-less except door-mats, because I want to experience this in it's "base form" but I still don't want pawns to track their dirty feed all over my throne room.

I also used to always use the fluffy mods: https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2229246849 as they really help with organize things, and RimHUD, because it gave all important information about a pawn in 1 glance. (for fluffy, you don't need all mods, just the ones that seem useful to you. I really liked the work and medical hud ones)

But I don't think these have been ported to 1.3 yet.

Dibbit on
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    No curated mod lists per se that I know of, but Vanilla Expanded is a good starting point... it's a big series with lots of individual mods that make some good additions and you can pick and choose.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I usually run all of oskars vanilla expanded mods, and a whole bunch of QoL stuff as well. Having played for a bit it seems like something in there is breaking ideology, like I can't build certain shrines for my religion but other religious shrines are showing up, skull taking has been disabled somehow so no skull spikes for me.

Also if anyone is running the cleaning priorities mod and wondering why world generation at start up is broken, the mod is to blame.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    So I'm going with the tribe and I have the tree lover meme, but you can't cut down trees or it really upsets your people so... where do you get the fuel for things like the fueled stove?

Also, secondarily, how do I make my cave-home count as an "indoor" instead of an "outdoor" area?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    So I'm going with the tribe and I have the tree lover meme, but you can't cut down trees or it really upsets your people so... where do you get the fuel for things like the fueled stove?

Also, secondarily, how do I make my cave-home count as an "indoor" instead of an "outdoor" area?

Indoor is just behind walls and a door with a roof. So add a wall and a door at the cave entrance.

And the answer to the first is you upset people get to making electricity asap! Or trade for wood

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Also, they added ancient broken down junk to my map, and cool, but also.. I don't know how to get rid of the larger parts, there seems to be no disassembly option?

You have to attack it until it breaks, they added a tooltip to the most recent patch that tells you this, so clearly its something a lot of people missed. I don't know why they didn't just add a "disassemble" button to the junk like the one you use for disassembling literally everything else in the game.

Tree-lover sounds kind of broken at the moment. Its obvious that the Ideologies aren't really supposed to be balanced, but "tree lover" just seems poorly implemented; you would assume that tree-loving people would want to live in the forest so that they can get the most of their mood bonus for all the trees, but its pretty much impossible to build any kind of structure in a forest without cutting trees down to make room, even if you don't use wood. They should really get a trait to remove the slept outside/slept in the dirt penalties at least.
    Campy wrote: »

Personal traits remain, and people have a "certainty" in their current ideology based on their mood and traits. E.g, someone with the "cannibal" trait with an ideology that abhors cannibalism is going to be much more likely to convert to an ideology that supports their traits. People with very low mood and certainty can also have a mental breakdown where they either switch ideologies or make up a new one that makes more sense to them.

I've made my people techno-tribals, with the headcanon that they're the remnants of the people who originally made the first mechanoids. So they worship the Archotechs, but start with sticks and rocks. They're also "Guilty" (for the whole "we unleashed mechanoids on the galaxy" thing) so they get mood buffs for being in pain... but also a huge mood penalty if I ever refuse any "charitable" events like taking in refugees. I like how you can give them multiple styles and they'll mix-and-match, e.g, I have "techist" and "totemic" styles, so I have techy-looking hexagonal furniture but their art looks like native American totems.
    Casual wrote: »

Mods that don't play nicely with other mods are the exception rather than the rule; "Combat Extended" is the ur-example of one of these since it adds an ammunition system to weapons, so it breaks pretty much any mod that adds weapons. Generally speaking just don't get two mods that do the same thing and you'll be fine. I strongly recommend "deep storage", which lets you put things like clothes into stacks on shelves and wardrobes rather than having ten hats take up the same space as 750 units of steel. Here's my current list, for whatever that's worth:

ymseg394psko.png
    • Tech advancing - lets your colony's tech level move up once you research all techs of a given level, useful for Tribal starts otherwise you're stuck at "Tribal" forever and eating a huge research penalty for the whole game even once everyone is wearing modern clothing and using assault rifles and half your colonists aren't tribals.
    • Quarry - lets you dig rock chunks out of the ground, useful for longer colonies where you end up exhausting everything on the map
    • Show Draftee's weapon - does what it says on the tin... show's colonist's weapons under their spot on the colonist bar
    • Vanilla Expanded Framework - a common library needed for other mods
    • Rimfridge - lets you build small standalone freezers without needing a whole walk-in setup. Useful for keeping a stash of meals to-hand in your dining room.
    • Wall light - lets you build lights... on the wall. Fairly balanced since they cast a lot less light than the standing lamps, but don't take up a whole tile
    • Hugslib - another common framework/library mod
    • Allow Tool - does a bunch of different things, but most critically to me it allows you to mark things to be hauled urgently, and set urgent hauling as a separate priority. Useful for when you want your cooks, researchers or crafters to help out with the harvest or moving a big pile of something and then go back to what they were doing
    • Simple sidearms - lets your colonists carry multiple weapons, with a weight limit so its fairly balanced, i.e, you're not going to be able to carry a longsword and an assault rifle at the same time but longsword + pistol or rifle + knife will work.
    • Smart speed - enables 4x speed which is normally only available otherwise in dev mode for some reason. Also adds slow-mo options if that's something you're interested in.
    • Hospitality - lets you host guests in guest rooms for faction relation boosts and the opportunity to lure some of their people away if you make enough friends with them (they won't like this)
    • Armor racks - lets you store armor on a rack and takes the colonist's current outfit when switching to it; useful if you want everyone to armor up before a fight but keep track of what they were previously wearing
    • Deep storage - as I mentioned above cuts down on clutter, mostly I just use it for clothing and leathers since those end up taking up a silly amount of space otherwise
    • Interaction bubbles - pops up with a speech bubble when colonists interact, which would normally only be found in the social tab log
    • Damage indicators - does exactly what it says, I want to be able to see at-a-glance if someone takes a big hit and needs to retreat
    • Speakup - expands on Interaction Bubbles by changing the generic "chat" messages to actual context-based chatter and adds some new situational ones, purely for flavor. My colonists complain about their crappy bedrooms a lot, one of them tells terrible jokes and another likes to sing when nobody else is around.
    • Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering (EPOE) - the go-to Bionics/Prosthetics mod, fills in a lot of the gaps in the existing lineup of craftable body parts. E.g, lower-tech replacement eyes that only work at 50% capacity but are still better than a missing eye, or prosthetic noses and ears that aren't end-game tech.
    • Miscellaneous CORE - needed for Misc. Robots to work
    • Misc. Robots - adds little Roombas you can craft to do simple tasks, because frankly by end-game I shouldn't have to dedicate a colonist to cleaning full-time.
    • Show Hair With Hats or Hide All Hats - does what it says; now not everyone looks like they're bald under their hats/helmets. There can be some clipping issues particularly with modded hats or hair, but there are mod settings to turn off showing hair for individual hat/hair combos that don't make sense. I.e, I probably don't want my colonist's ponytail sticking out the back of their space helmet, but on a baseball cap its fine.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Apparently, it's useful if you're a tunneler to have someone with high mining and also be a mining expert, especially if your leader can buff their work ethic for a bit. Who would have guessed!? :P (I figured this out on my second try of this particular ideoligion)

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular

The idea is that tree lovers use Dryads for their wood, which are new and tree lovers get bonuses for them. One of the Dryads generates wood for you.

Getting to that point is probably rough, and it does sound like building stuff without being able to clear any trees is weird.

I expect a lot of the systems to be tweaked really heavily. If you look at launch Royalty it was way too restrictive with a lot of its systems, and the follow up patches made the psychic/royal system a lot more fun and intuitive.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    loving this game, yet i suck at this game...

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    Fiatil wrote: »

The idea is that tree lovers use Dryads for their wood, which are new and tree lovers get bonuses for them. One of the Dryads generates wood for you.

Getting to that point is probably rough, and it does sound like building stuff without being able to clear any trees is weird.

I expect a lot of the systems to be tweaked really heavily. If you look at launch Royalty it was way too restrictive with a lot of its systems, and the follow up patches made the psychic/royal system a lot more fun and intuitive.

Yeah I've been playing Tribal Druids all day and I've gotten to a pretty good place overall (more because of the corn that grows wood) and the Trees/Dryads seem horribly undertuned right now. The amount of effort per day per Pawn to get more than one Dryad per tree is agonizing, even if your Pawn has good a lot of Plant raising ability, and their benefits are kind of eh, like they really don't feel worth the effort. I also think there's a bug with how the Gaumaker works, because I've had them merge together, begin to form a pod... and then the pod just disappears.

I love their look, and the theme, and I think even the no cutting trees thing can be worked around adequately but man it just doesn't feel worth the effort right now which is a real disappointment.

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Also, they added ancient broken down junk to my map, and cool, but also.. I don't know how to get rid of the larger parts, there seems to be no disassembly option?

You have to attack it until it breaks, they added a tooltip to the most recent patch that tells you this, so clearly its something a lot of people missed. I don't know why they didn't just add a "disassemble" button to the junk like the one you use for disassembling literally everything else in the game.

Felt rude not to answer this, but yes, I kinda figured it out after the patch that changed the following:
    • Patch notes: added description on how to destroy junk
    • On the junk itself, a new description: Destroy me by attacking me!
    • and a disabled disassemble button, that has as tooltip "Draft pawns and attack me instead, stupid"

So yeah, I don't know why they don't just enable the disassemble button -- maybe the things can come alive sometimes if you attack them? -- But this patch was meant for me. :p

• Options
    Fun fact: Rimworld does not cap the size of it's log files and keeps two by default. If you're suddenly out of storage space and have been playing a while, maybe check AppData..

b7b5yzwjyt8u.png

this to be fair is from leaving the game on overnight accidentally when Alt-F4 didn't work.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I just started playing this. What's the best way to keep my animals fed? Right now I have the butcher station set to "make kibble" forever, and the kibble storage in the animal pen, and I just kind of hope things work out, but is there anything more elegant?

• Options
    Not all animals actually need kibble, a lot are fine with hay. Zoning animals to areas where they can graze or hunt (and *away* from your colonist meals, which they will eat!) is the most efficient option. Past that definitely don't do "forever" on kibble or you'll waste a lot of food. Kibble too, it will rot eventually if not frozen.

• Options
    Can I let animals wander around? I thought I needed to build a pen for them so that they don't wander off.

• Options
    Can I let animals wander around? I thought I needed to build a pen for them so that they don't wander off.

Some animals need pens, mostly the untrainable kind AFAICT (Donkeys, Deer, Sheep, etc.) others like dogs and wargs and monkeys which are trainable will restrict their movement to assigned zones like Pawns.

• Options
    Yeah my trained animals just feed themselves. I was asking about the untrained ones, like chickens. What's the best way to feed my chickens?

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Yeah my trained animals just feed themselves. I was asking about the untrained ones, like chickens. What's the best way to feed my chickens?

Build an animal pen, it will actually say how many animals it will feed during the summer / spring.
    Also, make a big grow-area with hay, doesn't have to be on fertile soil, can be anywhere where you have some left over space. In fall, your pawns will harvest it for bales of hay.
    Make a barn with on the one side animal boxes / chicken coops and on the other hay, also put hay on the floor. Optionally, depending on how cold / hot it gets, you might need to refrigerate or heat it. Put some hay storage either in the barn itself, or give it it's own little house (I like to keep it refrigerated, it keeps for 2 seasons at least in the heat, indefinitely if frozen)
    Make sure the hay is accessible for the animals in the barn / pen. And that's their feed for the winter.

Hay is super easy to make, but will only feed livestock, so horses, muffelos, chicken, donkeys...etc...

Dibbit on
  • Options
    That's what I've been doing, but I also want the hay to be made into kibble, so I have hay going into two separate stockpiles, and I can't figure out how to get my people to bring enough hay to the pen stockpile to keep the animals fed.

I'm also confused why I need to sue special fences for a pen when basically 100% of the time I'll need to build normal walls too. If the pen is outside the hay degrades almost immediately. So I'll have to double-wall everything, right? Pens inside a barn.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    That's what I've been doing, but I also want the hay to be made into kibble, so I have hay going into two separate stockpiles, and I can't figure out how to get my people to bring enough hay to the pen stockpile to keep the animals fed.

I'm also confused why I need to sue special fences for a pen when basically 100% of the time I'll need to build normal walls too. If the pen is outside the hay degrades almost immediately. So I'll have to double-wall everything, right? Pens inside a barn.

You can set the priority of the pen stockpile to higher than that of the one for kibble. That way the pen stockpile will always fill up first. You'll need to tweak the size to make things work just right.

You should be able to build a pen that has a fully indoors hutch/barn for your animals to sleep/feed in. Instead of a normal door there is a special animal one. It's basically a bit of fabric, but I cant recall the name in game.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Fun fact: Rimworld does not cap the size of it's log files and keeps two by default. If you're suddenly out of storage space and have been playing a while, maybe check AppData..

b7b5yzwjyt8u.png

this to be fair is from leaving the game on overnight accidentally when Alt-F4 didn't work.

Lol yep, I had the exact same thing 2 days ago. Luckily I stumbled upon someone else posting their crazy file size on reddit beforehand -- I knew exactly where to go when the game crashed on exiting and my PC was mysteriously out of all disk space. But I can't stop won't stop the modding.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2021

You want your animals grazing on grass during the summer while its still growing since its "free" nutrition, and then move them into a barn with hay in winter when the grass runs out; you shouldn't ever need to store hay outside. I mean I guess you could keep your animals in the pen in winter and have a tiny hay stockpile set to a higher priority than your inside hay, then your haulers will prioritize keeping the outside hay filled whilst storing any excess indoors. But that would be a lot of unnecessary hauling when really I think you're supposed to move your animals between pens in summer and barns in winter. Prior to Ideology there were no pens, you'd just assign the animals to zones and they'd magically know to stay there without wandering off. My current map is too cold for ranching to be feasible so I've not really played with the new mechanics, but I gather that animals won't just stay in an assigned zones anymore? I'm not clear how that affects barns since they would just be zones, do animals not know how to open doors anymore?

With the Ideology stuff, I was wondering why my Tribal Transhumanists weren't immediately complaining about the lack of bionic body parts e.t.c at the start... turns out some of the Ideology requirements are only unlocked once you hit a certain level of expectations (i.e, colony wealth) and I've clearly just hit it, because suddenly everyone wants bionic parts and neural accelerators and a big fancy altar and aaaargh! I was thinking that the bonuses I'm getting to research are borderline OP, but they might be the only thing that lets me research all of the things my people want in time. One saving grace of my ideology is that techists don't care about eating nutrient paste by default, so my map's short growing period isn't too much of a hinderance since I can milk my crops for every drop of nutrition. Of course my prisoners don't really like eating green glop... until I convert them to my Ideology, then they suddenly stop caring!

I would really like to have a more Ideologically diverse colony since its fun seeing all the different styles. I have a lady from a Islamic-origin faith who wears a lime green shirt and hijab since lime is her favorite color and she's happier in the hijab or "broadwrap" due to her faith. Meanwhile my Archist colonists wear burgundy "Slicecaps" and you can tell which of our clothing was originally looted from raiders because its all covered in spikes and skulls. Ultimately though I can't really afford to let captured raiders keep their own ideology since they'd quickly get mad that they're not allowed to go raiding or eat people, and their ideology is inevitably "extreme bigotry" so they'll get mad just being in the same settlement as people of other ideologies.

I do want to try a "raider" ideology next though, I've already come up with a headcanon that they're part of army that was supposed to invade the Rimworld, but due to travel time the civilization they were supposed to conquer fell long ago and the "army" (anyone else of my ideology that I find) was scattered across the planet. I wasn't sure how that would work since prior to Ideology raiding settlements was a pretty big investment, and even if you were successful you'd quickly hit the problem of running out of people close enough to raid. But it seems they've solved that by periodically spawning small bases of minor factions dedicated to a particular resource, so now you can bully the local farmers and steal their potatoes rather than growing your own if you want.

*edit* Huh, that's neat. A year after joining my converted raider decided he wanted his raider tattoo removed since it no longer matches his beliefs. I also let him start dressing in Purple since that's his favorite color. Its nice to have the ability to recolor things built in now!

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Finishing the modded 1.2 game. Ice Age then a day later Toxic Fallout. Yes I think the storyteller is Done With Me :P

Colony isn't dead yet as I had been coincidentally setting up hydroponics to use as a cash crop factory and managed to rush to deep wells in time. Close one though as I accidentally roofed over and destroyed the cooling tower for my nuclear plant.

They don't like that at all. Cue researcher frantically sprinting over to SCRAM, probably screaming invectives at the construction guys the entire time.

Between the power problem and the loss of 15,000 liters of water I almost has a cascade failure.

• Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying my current easy mode playthrough. Needed to relearn stuff before playing a harder, normal game. I opted to go for pretty much the same mods as @Mr Ray

Made a technic cult, interesting gameplay elements. Everyone wants to become cyborgs, so I better get to researching that stuff.

Had two pawns break up during their marriage ceremony. Apparently that's a common occurance?

I started my base on the edge of the big mountain, and now I'm digging deeper. Building a newer, nicer residential area, so I can convert my older, smaller bedrooms into guest rooms. Then I need to build a big Techno Cathedral so I can change my combo church/rec room back to just a rec room.

I keep saying just 10 more minutes, and then that turns into 2 hours.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah I tried the tree loving ideology last night and quickly bounced cause they were getting mad at me for building a place to live. It just says you like to live near trees! There are plenty of trees near you over here and you're cutting trees over there. I even made a giant tree planting area for you!

Anyway I've put it on hold until the prepared start that lets you point buy your colonists is updated to 1.3 because I just had a devil of a time trying to get any combination of colonists that wasn't cripplingly short on skills and stacked with negatives in 4 games I tried to start last night.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    It's worth noting that once you make your culture and pick out the memes, you can still fine-tune the actual restrictions/tenants for XYZ at the culture select screen.

For example, I'm pretty sure you can have tree lovers who, while not happy, don't get to the point of having stress breaks just getting enough wood to build a 3x3 shack.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Unfortunately, not on that one if you selected the 3rd level Tree Connection instead of the 2nd level Nature Primacy.
    Tree connection grants the tree sowing technology ahead at start, but also requires the Trees: Desired precept. The flavor text for that precept just says it's essential to live surrounded by trees, but mechanically there's penalties for trees disturbed/harmed/ravaged not just benefits penalties for living near or far from trees, which is separate from the precept for cutting trees. Which apparently only has negative versions as well. Not sure why there's two separate things that give penalties for cutting trees and no way to go pro-lumberjack.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    They just changed the tree lovers to (by default) not get any mood penalty for sleeping rough or eating without a table, so they might be slightly more playable now.

I've been stuck with only one crafter for a while, but since my ideology comes with a crafting specialist that's all I really need... her crafting speed is insane and every other thing she makes is a masterwork.

Also for anyone that cares, Save Our Ship 2 just came to 1.3, i.e, the one with the spaceships that turns Rimworld into FTL. I'm going to stick to my current mod list for now and try and go for the new Archeotech ending, it sounds like at some point in the process you have to sell your base and start over with 5 pawns of your choice, annoyingly though it looks like it also resets your tech. Might have to look into a mod that lets me keep it, I've played through so many games that at this point tech just feels like an arbitrary way of slowing down my progression.

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    They just changed the tree lovers to (by default) not get any mood penalty for sleeping rough or eating without a table, so they might be slightly more playable now.

I've been stuck with only one crafter for a while, but since my ideology comes with a crafting specialist that's all I really need... her crafting speed is insane and every other thing she makes is a masterwork.

Also for anyone that cares, Save Our Ship 2 just came to 1.3, i.e, the one with the spaceships that turns Rimworld into FTL. I'm going to stick to my current mod list for now and try and go for the new Archeotech ending, it sounds like at some point in the process you have to sell your base and start over with 5 pawns of your choice, annoyingly though it looks like it also resets your tech. Might have to look into a mod that lets me keep it, I've played through so many games that at this point tech just feels like an arbitrary way of slowing down my progression.

From the most underpowered to the most overpowered trait in the game. Finally, the tables have been defeated.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Can you assign specialists right off the bat? I haven't seen how.
    I started a new game last night and wasn't paying quite enough attention to my crew. Had a good spread of skills across them. Except that most of the skills that are generally useful in the beginning were across 2 of them, with the third being good at combat and art and mining. Great, except that I was so excited to see the good spread and the fact that they all started with good relationships with each other, that I didn't notice that that the 3rd colonist wouldn't do dumb labor at all. She also had 1 in construction and 0 plants.

So my only people that can haul or clean are also the only ones that can build or plant/cut plants. Don't need any mined materials yet so she's functionally useless if she's not hitting something.

I briefly tried having her assist with building my starting bedrooms and storage just to try and shave some time off them, but after several botched walls and an awful table I realized she was hurting more than helping.

So now she's cutting trees until combat events happen, getting maybe 2 or 3 per day if she doesn't botch them.

Rimworld!

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You can assign someone to an Ideology specialist role through the "Social" tab, its not super obvious. Bear in mind that this will set their expectations two levels higher than it otherwise would be, i.e, wave goodbye to that "low expectations" mood bonus you get at the start. Past a certain point this is irrelevant though since everyone will have high expectations anyway.

I try to make sure that none of my starting pawns refuse to do dumb labor from the start for exactly this reason... its easy to find yourself in a position where you've got all the specialists you need but nothing is getting done because nobody is actually hauling the materials to and fro. Yet another reason to get the Misc Robots mod and build yourself some roombas!