As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Better Call Saul] S'All Good Man

1454647484951»

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Ok, my prediction for tonight:
    Kim talks to the cops, makes a community service deal, essentially going back to help those in need while earning her forgiveness.
    Jimmy is going to make a run for the vacuum repair guys, make the call, but get killed by revenge-seeking drug runners.

I realize that making this prediction means that those cannot possible happen, but I'm sticking with it.

And as I found out when setting my reminder this morning, the finale is a little over an hour and a half. Get comfy!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm beginning to suspect
    we aren't going to see Huell again. :'(

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Ok, my prediction for tonight:
    Kim talks to the cops, makes a community service deal, essentially going back to help those in need while earning her forgiveness.
    Jimmy is going to make a run for the vacuum repair guys, make the call, but get killed by revenge-seeking drug runners.

I realize that making this prediction means that those cannot possible happen, but I'm sticking with it.

And as I found out when setting my reminder this morning, the finale is a little over an hour and a half. Get comfy!

My prediction:
    Gene will almost get away but he'll commit some kind of last-minute self-sabotage and get arrested. Instead of standing in front of a mixing dough machine at Cinnabon, he'll be standing in front of a commercial washing machine in prison.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    My prediction:
    Kim gets a deal to flip on Jimmy. I'm tempted to say Jimmy ends up dead, but I don't think they would go to that well again. Maybe they close on Kim visiting him in prison or something. But I think Jimmy gets life in prison and rots.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm beginning to suspect
    we aren't going to see Huell again. :'(
    last scene of the show is just a silent five second shot of him still in that hotel room

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My prediction:
    Kim gets a deal to flip on Jimmy. I'm tempted to say Jimmy ends up dead, but I don't think they would go to that well again. Maybe they close on Kim visiting him in prison or something. But I think Jimmy gets life in prison and rots.

I don't see the first part happening -
    She already handed over everything they'd need from her, plus she doesn't have any information about his whereabouts or identity that they're not about to get from Marion. And she had nothing at all to do with the stuff the feds would be most interested in: his career with Walt and Jesse.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Oh fuck

Oh my God
    What if Gene gets caught in like the cold open next episode and the rest of the show is one last legal procedural adventure where Saul represents himself in court

Saul's last stand

*cough*

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Hey I was pretty close! Not spot on but in the neighborhood.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Finale:
    So Kim is able to inspire what was left of Jimmy to finally be held accountable (for 86 years) while the legend of Saul Goodman and Jimmy's natural charisma keeps him safe in max sec...interesting reversal from Gene hiding in a dumpster being his lowest point.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    We were all close. Like, wow. Fans here have a finger on the pulse.
    What color do you think Saul's suit was when he walked into the courtroom for the last time? I'm betting ... solid gold.

• Options
    What was the significance of the color bleeding through? The old commercial Gene saw on the laptop was in color. Jimmy and Kim's shared cigarette was in color. These are ... tiny spurts of true happiness in a drab little world?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What was the significance of the color bleeding through? The old commercial Gene saw on the laptop was in color. Jimmy and Kim's shared cigarette was in color. These are ... tiny spurts of true happiness in a drab little world?

There is more than that.
    Stuff like the USADA's tie started showing hints of color. If this wasn't a show with astounding cinematograhy I would assume it was an error, but I do not believe this was an error.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    great finale, they did an amazing job wrapping everything up. i'm almost sad to see it end, but they did a great job nailing the finish line

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    they're the past bleeding into the present

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    they're the past bleeding into the present
    Hm. The Band-Aid box Jimmy kept since he was a kid wasn't significant enough to get colorized?

• Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    In keeping with this series being everyone involved at the top of their game, that was a far better ending than the Breaking Bad felina finale.

Just one thing didn't add up.
    I don't see how Jimmy's act of throwing himself on his sword actually helps Kim in the looming civil suit.

Sure, he recanted his testimony to her involvement, undoing the further damage he did to her with whatever he was whispering in the state's ear (for some ice cream, no less... he better hope his new pals never get wind of that). But almost certainly, none of that unwinds her own deposition.

That said, I'm willing to accept that if the show says he saved her livelihood with that performance, and perhaps anything else he volunteered afterward, then that's what happened. Maybe nothing more than knowing that Jimmy will live out the rest of his life behind bars brought Cheryl just enough closure without moving forward with the suit.

If I go the other route of nitpicking, which I guess I might as well as it's the end of the series, then there's one more thing. Jimmy could have taken responsibility for Howard, off of Kim, from behind bars while serving out the light sentence from his deal. Probably without additional charges, since the state was so lukewarm about prosecuting Kim based on her deposition, and would be even less enthusiastic about going after either on the basis of one of two competing accounts of events on the record.

But again, I'll go along with it if the show says he wanted two other things, beyond just helping Kim. One, to unburden his conscience by finally telling the truth. Two, to take credit for being indispensable to Walt's criminal empire.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    In keeping with this series being everyone involved at the top of their game, that was a far better ending than the Breaking Bad felina finale.

I don't see how Jimmy's act of throwing himself on his sword actually helps Kim in the looming civil suit.

Sure, he recanted his testimony to her involvement, undoing the further damage he did to her with whatever he was whispering in the state's ear (for some ice cream, no less... he better hope his new pals never get wind of that). But almost certainly, none of that unwinds her own deposition.

That said, I'm willing to accept that if the show says he saved her livelihood with that performance, and perhaps anything else he volunteered afterward, then that's what happened. Maybe nothing more than knowing that Jimmy will live out the rest of his life behind bars brought Cheryl just enough closure without moving forward with the suit.

If I go the other route of nitpicking, which I guess I might as well as it's the end of the series, then there's one more thing. Jimmy could have taken responsibility for Howard, off of Kim, from behind bars while serving out the light sentence from his deal. Probably without additional charges, since the state was so lukewarm about prosecuting Kim based on her deposition, and would be even less enthusiastic about going after either on the basis of one of two competing accounts of events on the record.

But again, I'll go along with it if the show says he wanted two other things, beyond just helping Kim. One, to unburden his conscience by finally telling the truth. Two, to take credit for being indispensable to Walt's criminal empire.
    It wasn't about saving Kim, it was about redeeming himself in her eyes by coming clean the way that she did

Kim had a quote a few seasons back about how she saves herself; if Jimmy fell on the sword it would probably not have actually achieved his goal because Kim would be pissed and probably feel it blocked her own personal attempt to take responsibility and make reparations

Cheryl may still make that suit but Kim would be at peace with it feeling that it was just

Steam
  • Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    What color do you think Saul's suit was when he walked into the courtroom for the last time? I'm betting ... solid gold.
    Silver suit with a cobalt blue shirt and a charcoal tie. That’s my guess. May not be garish enough, though.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    That ended about as well as it could have.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

The thing I was wondering about was
    the ribbon he was wearing

Looked like one of the ones you buy as a charitable donation

Lung cancer, maybe?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

Lung cancer, maybe?

Serious spoiler for Breaking Bad
    It was the ribbon commemorating the victims of the plane crash

Steam
  • Options

Lung cancer, maybe?

Serious spoiler for Breaking Bad
    It was the ribbon commemorating the victims of the plane crash
    Oh yeah, forgot about that

Yet another thing that could have been avoided if Saul hadn't helped Walter (assuming I've got the timeline right)

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

It wasn't about saving Kim, it was about redeeming himself in her eyes by coming clean the way that she did

Kim had a quote a few seasons back about how she saves herself; if Jimmy fell on the sword it would probably not have actually achieved his goal because Kim would be pissed and probably feel it blocked her own personal attempt to take responsibility and make reparations

Cheryl may still make that suit but Kim would be at peace with it feeling that it was just

I think there was one more element to that:
    Jimmy wanted to show off for Kim one more time. Not only did he kind of finally do the honest thing, he also lawyered his way to an absolutely amazing deal before he threw it away for her.

The first thing she said when they started smoking together was “You got them down to seven and a half years,” which was beautiful. Just this acknowledgment of what she liked about Jimmy and that he was good at what he did which she never would have given him if he actually took the deal.

Also real post-heist romantic energy, which I didn’t expect but was perfect.

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    Some notes:
    1. As it's been said, Kim's confession and going to Hamlin's wife wasn't about smart or stupid or technique. It was just accounting for what she had done and facing the consequences. After she did it, she found herself back to wanting to help people instead of wallowing in The Office.
    2. Marie! God, that "just one juror" scene was fantastic. I hate to say it, but it was good to see fun scammy Saul one last time before he started pushing his luck with a Walter Ego Stroke victory lap. Speaking of Walt...
    3. Of *course* Walt was an asshole about time travel, haha. Saul brought up an excellent point in the bunker: if Walt weren't such an ego maniac he and Saul actually probably *could* have gotten something from Grey Matter Technologies for whatever happened. Walt never would have since Saul was one of his favorite punching bags (I loved when, during Jimmy's testimony he solidified the fact that for all his impact, Walt was a dumbass that relied on others for everything outside of the chemistry and Saul was managing the admin for most of it).
    4. Jimmy proved to Kim that ultimately they didn't *always* make each other worse. In this case, Kim made Jimmy better. He may be Slippin' Jimmy, and Chuck self-fulfilled that prophecy into Saul Goodman, but he proved he could be influenced for the better.
    5. That music during the cigarette scene had me on the edge of my seat- probably misread it, but it really came off like they were one puff away from designing a way out.
    6. It was nice to see something of a happy ending after all of that. Honestly thought given Gene's evil, it might have gone the other way.

!
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Glad they got the chance to end this show properly. So many great shows just end prematurely or go on too long and jump the shark.

Also, weirdly enough the scene that got me the most during the finale was
    the one between Chuck and Jimmy. I think we all knew that justice was finally going to be had and Jimmy was going to go away, and Kim was at peace with whatever punishment went her way. So in a sense we were just watching the inevitable play out. But to bring back Chuck just to remind us all of the tragedy of their relationship was...rough.

"We always end up having the same conversation don't we?"

Brutal.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Great ending to a great series.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    One thing I love about the Kim scenes
    The total lack of decision making, taking absolutely no stand on anything. Even the puzzle she was doing was blank. The director and Seehorn do a great job of showing Kim's state of mind. Both punishment, and avoiding another Kimmy McGill "poison" situation.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options

Jimmy wanted to show off for Kim one more time. Not only did he kind of finally do the honest thing, he also lawyered his way to an absolutely amazing deal before he threw it away for her.

The first thing she said when they started smoking together was “You got them down to seven and a half years,” which was beautiful. Just this acknowledgment of what she liked about Jimmy and that he was good at what he did which she never would have given him if he actually took the deal.

For real post-heist romantic energy. I 100% thought they were gonna get it on.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

Me too - especially when she checked to see if anybody was outside the door

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    One thing I love about the Kim scenes
    The total lack of decision making, taking absolutely no stand on anything. Even the puzzle she was doing was blank. The director and Seehorn do a great job of showing Kim's state of mind. Both punishment, and avoiding another Kimmy McGill "poison" situation.

The Puzzle
    I also took the blank puzzle as Kim, who was shown to be amazingly intelligent, trying to find something to occupy her that was of absolute no consequence. A blank puzzle is really hard but at the end of it you don't have anything to show for it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular

Oh, I'm sure Jimmy is going to get something better than Ice cream every Friday now that she is back in his life.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Alphagaia wrote: »

Oh, I'm sure Jimmy is going to get something better than Ice cream every Friday now that she is back in his life.
    She's not though. That was acknowledgement and goodbye.

I know Gilligan's said he's done with this universe, BUUUUT

I kind of want a series following Kim after she decides she has done enough penance and passes the Florida bar.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

I kind of want a series following Kim after she decides she has done enough penance and passes the Florida bar.

I don't know ...
    Going home to another night of "Yup. Yup. Yup." might change her mind.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

He kinda gave a noncommittal answer that he was done not done, you know? Like he *should* do something else but... ... ... he might come back to it. Basically the same answer he gave after BrBa, hahaha. Not closing any doors TOO firmly.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/better-call-saul-vince-gilligan-final-episode-interview-1393644/

... I'd be real into an Oz-esque prison drama with Jimmy at the top and Kim helping inmates Innocence Project style. Both Bob and Rhea have said they don't think this'd be their characters' last meeting and I'd like to agree about that.

Steam
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

It definitely seemed like an ending in a very real way. I like to think that Jimmy and Kim stayed distantly in contact though. Jimmy doing the jail house lawyer thing, and occasionally sending a name to Kim of someone who could be helped. At least my read has her back helping back lawyering to help those in the most need back in Florida. Bar exam being weird means she might not need to retake it as well depending.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

It definitely seemed like an ending in a very real way. I like to think that Jimmy and Kim stayed distantly in contact though. Jimmy doing the jail house lawyer thing, and occasionally sending a name to Kim of someone who could be helped. At least my read has her back helping back lawyering to help those in the most need back in Florida. Bar exam being weird means she might not need to retake it as well depending.
    She's on record confessing to several major felonies, though. Even if she isn't prosecuted, a bar is going to have a significant problem *ever* giving her a license to be a real lawyer again.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Totally missed when he looks at the watch when asked the question

and who gave him the watch

• Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    Gnizmo wrote: »

She's on record confessing to several major felonies, though. Even if she isn't prosecuted, a bar is going to have a significant problem *ever* giving her a license to be a real lawyer again.
    I didn’t get the sense that she was going back to being a practicing lawyer herself. She could certainly put her talents to use and do satisfying work volunteering, but I think her days of being a lawyer have ended. When she goes to see Jimmy in prison she says she got in by using her old New Mexico Bar Association card, which doesn’t have an expiration date. In this moment she’s happier and more herself than we’ve seen her in Florida, and pulling just a tiny little con to get in to see Jimmy says to me that she is now closer to being happy with her genuine self, just as Jimmy is happier as his genuine self in prison than living “free” as Gene.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    CHICANERY: https://www.reddit.com/r/okbuddychicanery/comments/wxh6xg/huell_okbc_chicanery_rant/

Worth watching to the end.

I wonder how much a Howard cameo is...

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Had to bite the bullet and (digitally) buy the last season to see how it ended, but seeing how I saw the whole saga across Netflix, I guess tossing the creators a few direct bucks wasn't the worst thing I could do.

Cameos:
    Agreed that the Walt/Jesse cameo in the "BB" episode was weak, but I loved their respective cameos in the following two episodes, especially Jesse and Kim talking outside the office. I love the quiet character moments like that.

Much like BB, I feel like it's overall more about the journey than the finale, so many memorable little things adding up along the way, and some that really stick with you.

wVEsyIc.png