As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Better Call Saul] S'All Good Man

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    I think I need to re-watch these as some of the timeline got a little confusing for me.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Hamlindigo Blue ain't no thang.

He's pompous, sure, but it doesn't mean he's an asshole.

And won't you guys feel bad when you find out it's actually named after the other, unseen Hamlin?

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    It's really named after a small child with leukemia he met at a pediatric burn ward he volunteers at biweekly, who is also named Hamlin. The boys favorite color was indigo blue and his dying wish was that he have something named after him.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Honestly if you're going to do something like use a non-standard color that requires you to get dyes custom ordered and all that shit giving it a simple name is probably world's better than PANTONE 17-4015 TPX blue.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    With the revelation, a lot of the smarm that Hamlin seemed to have is, upon reevaluation, seemingly more like genuine concern and niceness once you remove the JimmyFilter.

Which is a pretty amazing development, from a writing standpoint, imho.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular

And won't you guys feel bad when you find out it's actually named after the other, unseen Hamlin?

Maybe, but on the other hand, "our" Hamlin used it as an argument for trademark infringement, in front of a judge. He's complicit now, whatever his involvement at the outset.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as awed as anyone at what the writers have pulled off, revealing Chuck rather than Howard as the moustache-twirling villain in this situation. But yeah, naming colors after oneself is some straight villainy.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options

Maybe, but on the other hand, "our" Hamlin used it as an argument for trademark infringement, in front of a judge. He's complicit now, whatever his involvement at the outset.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as awed as anyone at what the writers have pulled off, revealing Chuck rather than Howard as the moustache-twirling villain in this situation. But yeah, naming colors after oneself is some straight villainy.

Yea, Jimmy was totally an asshole in that scene. He was very clearly trying to create confusion between his legal practice and HHM. The logos had to be read to be distinguished because Jimmy copied the geometry and colors which was Hamlin's argument. Jimmy is the one who made a big deal of the color thing.

Now at the time and from his perspective he had a valid reason to be an asshole to Hamlin. Now....well Hamlin actually kind of comes off as nice in the billboard scene with Kim. He has to respond or he risks the firm (along with Kim's job) but he still does it in a way designed to only get Jimmy to stop doing it. He never discusses damages or anything for it.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2015
    Wasn't all of Jimmy's asshole behavior preceded by Hamlin telling Jimmy that he wasn't allowed to use his own name in starting a legal practice? Are we assuming that was because of REDACTED, too? Because otherwise, that is a total dick move and justifies Jimmy being an asshole to Hamlin.

Regardless, my impression thus far is that Hamlin is still a dick (see: his treatment of Kim), just not as big a dick as we previously thought.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Wasn't all of Jimmy's asshole behavior preceded by Hamlin telling Jimmy that he wasn't allowed to use his own name in starting a legal practice? Are we assuming that was because of REDACTED, too? Because otherwise, that is a total dick move and justifies Jimmy being an asshole to Hamlin.

Regardless, my impression thus far is that Hamlin is still a dick (see: his treatment of Kim), just not as big a dick as we previously thought.

I think you're misremembering.
    Hamlin made a comment about how McGill's name in conjunction with using essentially the same logo, using Hamlindigo blue, and using Hamlin's suit and haircut could confuse clients. I think that's reasonable, Jimmy's intent to fuck with HHM was pretty clear!

Jimmy then ran away with that comment, talking about how Hamlin was trying to prevent him from using his own name. Hamlin rolled his eyes and started to reply, and got interrupted by Jimmy. Finally, the judge said that Jimmy using his name wasn't the issue at hand. The issue was the billboard as a whole, not the name in particular.

Now, there is another character who did explicitly tell Jimmy he shouldn't use the McGill name in his legal practice. Three guesses on who that was, and the first two don't count.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

I think you're misremembering.
    Hamlin made a comment about how McGill's name in conjunction with using essentially the same logo, using Hamlindigo blue, and using Hamlin's suit and haircut could confuse clients. I think that's reasonable, Jimmy's intent to fuck with HHM was pretty clear!

Jimmy then ran away with that comment, talking about how Hamlin was trying to prevent him from using his own name. Hamlin rolled his eyes and started to reply, and got interrupted by Jimmy. Finally, the judge said that Jimmy using his name wasn't the issue at hand. The issue was the billboard as a whole, not the name in particular.

Now, there is another character who did explicitly tell Jimmy he shouldn't use the McGill name in his legal practice. Three guesses on who that was, and the first two don't count.

my guesses:
    Hamlin, Hamlin, Mcgill.

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    That was such a great episode. My girlfriend's just finishing up Breaking Bad and then we're gonna watch this, and I am gonna dig the rewatch after that

• Options
    Ah, okay.

I kinda want to rewatch the series now and see how it plays with the new information.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Ah, okay.

I kinda want to rewatch the series now and see how it plays with the new information.

I watched Saul's first BB episode this week. He is so very much sleazier than Jimmy.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    It's understandable to me that
    Chuck thinks Jimmy is a mediocre lawyer and doesn't want him to be part of his big-shot law firm. He's probably right about that; Jimmy was only just barely good enough to pass the bar. The multi-million dollar class action lawsuit fell into his hands with a lot of Chuck's help, so he probably really isn't good enough to be in HHM.

That said, Chuck is obviously a conniving asshole for working against Jimmy in the shadows rather than being honest about his opinion. Also there was no reason for him to shit on Jimmy's ability to be a decent lawyer doing relatively low-impact work like elder law. Basically he mistook mediocrity for incompetence because of his elitist attitude and betrayed his own brother in the process.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Zek wrote: »
    It's understandable to me that
    Chuck thinks Jimmy is a mediocre lawyer and doesn't want him to be part of his big-shot law firm. He's probably right about that; Jimmy was only just barely good enough to pass the bar. The multi-million dollar class action lawsuit fell into his hands with a lot of Chuck's help, so he probably really isn't good enough to be in HHM.

That said, Chuck is obviously a conniving asshole for working against Jimmy in the shadows rather than being honest about his opinion. Also there was no reason for him to shit on Jimmy's ability to be a decent lawyer doing relatively low-impact work like elder law. Basically he mistook mediocrity for incompetence because of his elitist attitude and betrayed his own brother in the process.
    It seems to me that its less Chuck not wanting Jimmy working at the lawfirm of HHM and more that Chuck doesn't like Jimmy practicing law period.

Also, I did some internet searches pertaining to the show and stumbled upon
    Fuck Chuck Subreddit, yeah I know reddit :bigfrown: but its amusing how the hate is spreading

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    I'm waiting for Skyler "I fucked Chuck" gifs.

• Options
    About the only person that's worse than Chuck is Skylar. Miserable, insufferable person. [/spoiler

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    About the only person that's worse than Chuck is Skylar. Miserable, insufferable person.

oh christ are we doing this again

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Something like this?
    BHuaUTq.jpg

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    Something like this?
    BHuaUTq.jpg

Better Call Saul.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    How much Chuck would a woodchuck fuck if a woodchuck could fuck Chuck?

• Options
    The I Fucked Chuck thing is funny, but I am nixing any discussion of Skylar right out of the gate.

• Options
    You sound just like....
    El Jeffe, a fine and upstanding mod.

So how many episodes do we have left? Is BCS a 10 episode or 13 episode series?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    You sound just like....
    El Jeffe, a fine and upstanding mod.

So how many episodes do we have left? Is BCS a 10 episode or 13 episode series?

First season is 10, the second is 13.

• Options
    That is weird.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Finally caught up
    Chuck, what the fuck man

Yeah I would have agreed with his concerns about Jimmy back when he first got his law degree

but he's been doing legitimate, honest legal work. He hasn't been an ambulance chaser. At worst, he's a little slimy in his advertising methods, so what (lets forget the business with the skateboarders since Chuck doesn't know about it)? The guy doesn't have a lot of money and it's not like he's 18 years old with all the time in the world to make a name for himself. He crawled in a dumpster to get shredded paper, he routinely turns down the money for his own principles. If he was what Chuck thought he was, he would take the easy money

What a shithead, and by taking this away from him, he's leaving the best option for Jimmy to become exactly what he said he would.

It's like claiming that public schools don't work and pointing to a public school that you burned down as an example

override367 on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Nice callback to BB there.
    "I'll send you to Belize."

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    That's not what I expected at all. I liked it, but dang what a strange note to end on.

Also weird - Michael Mando in the credits, no Nacho.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That's not what I expected at all. I liked it, but dang what a strange note to end on.

Also weird - Michael Mando in the credits, no Nacho.

Mando's agent got him a killer deal. Appear in like four episodes, a couple of which are just basically one scene and get a main cast credit in one of the most anticipated new series of the year.

I was kind of underwhelmed by that finale.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    That episode was a bit of a snoozer. I was expecting some big hook at the end that just didn't materialize.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I'm not sure I get it.

Things were lookin' up for Jimmy. His decision at the end seemed a bit nonsensical.

RT800 on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    My take on the finale:
    Charlie Brown stopped trying to kick Lucy's football.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I can see why he wouldn't want to work in the perpetual shadow of his brother and with a bunch of people who regard him as the mail man, but I don't see how the Chicago visit and discussion with Mike are supposed to be inciting incidents there. What a super underwhelming season finale; I was sure it would end with Jimmy going head to head with Chuck in some legal matter or Chuck just finding himself unable to function without Jimmy or really anything interesting happening at all.

Still looking forward to season 2 though, I have faith in the talent here to cough up the goods eventually.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    RT800 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I get it.

Things were lookin' up for Jimmy. His decision at the end seemed a bit nonsensical.
    I think the whole reason he got his act together was because of Chuck. The successful big brother he owes a debt to, the reason he's not in prison or a registered sex offender. That's what the Bingo breakdown was about, how he was tied down to ABQ because of the Chicago Sunroof incident, even though he obviously wasn't convicted.

Now that debt is gone, and it's taking away his moral compass. He doesn't need to prove anything to Chuck (who doesn't give a shit either way). The episode showed him return to being Slippin' Jimmy, and now he's looking back with disbelief. He's a con man, how could he have given up all that cash? The conversation with Mike was meant to show how he's gone back to his past for good, and I think that's when he fully realized that change, the reversed progress. We had nine episodes of Jimmy McGill, who was a bit shady but overall a decent guy. And now we have one episode of Saul Goodman, who only really cares about number one.

I think the finale was a little boring, but the events were important.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    But if its just about the money now, taking that job IS looking out for number one.

• Options
    Not just about the money, but about independence.

Yeah, at the new law firm, he'll probably make more than he would otherwise, if he works hard and well he'll be made partner... but always reliant on other people, even as partner.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    That 60s jazz montage, oh my god

• Options
    I think I get the point of all, but the way it was organized seemed to work against the main theme.
    I think his decision at the end was mostly just a fuck you to Chuck. He now knows he could make it on his own, he had a good life going, but it's the kind of life Chuck would want,and screw that guy.

But I think the Chicago scenes failed to really set the proper mood. It felt like it was doing a "you can't go home again" thing with Marco dying, and it felt like he was realizing that was all past. Then, suddenly, he's pissed off that he didn't take his cut off the $1.6 million.

Overall, it seemed like a reasonable conclusion to the season, and the first half of the episode was great, but then it just sort of muddled its way through the home stretch and ended.

Great series, can't wait till next season, but that finale could've been so much more.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Guys I don't know what ya'll are talking about the finale had a huge payoff.
    We finally found out what a Chicago Sunroof was! Which totally wasn't a thing prior to this show. I looked it up.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    the bingo scene was amazing

anyway not a great finalé but still very much looking forward to the next season