As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] Age of Assembling at the new thread cause this one retired!

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    If we do get another Blade movie, I'd prefer it be kept low-profile and out of the main MCU films. "Now there's vampires" does not add anything to the universe, and will probably make everything seem really silly.

That said, having a Blade movie that exists in the shadows of the other films and gives occasional nods to it could be fun, as long as the other films ignore it.

Cinimax TV show.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I reaallllly want them to bring back Blade. I'd love to see how they'd work that guy into the MCU. Seeing him interact with the current Avengers would basically be the greatest thing.

I dunno. I... I just can't see how you'd fit the whole Blade/vampire thing into the MCU.

Yes, I'm aware the MCU has a talking raccoon, but still...
    ...and Doctor Strange is on the horizon. He's a pure magic guy.

Hell, in the original Blade movies, the vampires were virus-based. Compared to Extremis guys shooting fireballs or Bruce Banner magically adding 2000 pounds of mass when he gets annoyed, Blade vamps are plausible.

The question is more, how does SHIELD not know about Vampires? If they were an organized force, that would likely be a problem. Having Vampires be a particular strain of Inhuman could work though.

SHIELD didn't know about Inhumans (who are multiple organized forces), and Vampires were an organized force in the comics. I don't think they need to be inhumans, infact I'm very much against the general "Everything is inhumans" fan theory.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    I kinda like the idea of Blade just popping up as a WTF monster of the week on AoS.

Just, one episode, they're dealing with dead bodies drained of blood, everybody's all "Oh, vampires, nah! We'd already know about it."

Then it turns out, yeah, vampires.

One and done

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I would love for the other Marvel heroes to start having little cameos in the movies. Say a theoretical Blade series was made for Netflix. It'd be great to have Steve Rogers end up in a bar fight in a bar where Blade happens to be hunting a vampire. Blade stabs the vampire during the fight and Rogers is just "What the hell?" while Blade takes off out the exit.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Well, Blade is supposed to be British, right? Maybe the Vampires never migrated out of Europe and so all of SHIELD in the US would never run into one and the Euro-Vamps are good enough at avoiding the international wing.

Also, after Dr. Strange, I'd love to see a Midnight Sons movie. I'm thinking Dr. Strange, Blade, Ghost Rider, Man-Thing and Elsa Bloodstone.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    If the MCU can at the very least not make Eastern Europe still using Ox and Cart and nothing but gypsies with pitch forks, that's a victory.

(are they even allowed to use Latveria?)

• Options
    Latveria? No, almost certainly not.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I really hope this Spectacular Spider-Deal opens up similar avenues for FOX's non X-Men properties

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    I really hope this Spectacular Spider-Deal opens up similar avenues for FOX's non X-Men properties

We'll see what the reception to the new F4 movie is. If it does well, then Fox will probably just laugh in Marvel's face on the way to the bank.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'd be perfectly happy to have blade as part of the street level Netflix MCU stuff.

And I'd also be perfectly happy if that and the movies never really crossed over outside of oblique references.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    I kinda like the idea of Blade just popping up as a WTF monster of the week on AoS.

Just, one episode, they're dealing with dead bodies drained of blood, everybody's all "Oh, vampires, nah! We'd already know about it."

Then it turns out, yeah, vampires.monkeys

One and done

1zusyc.jpg

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Oh dang I had no idea that guy from the first fight in Winter Soldier was a comic book character.

Yeah I just learned that

And also why that annoying boss in Industry City keeps hopping all over the place like a moron

The deeper you dig into comics, the more you realize that there are just tons of random references to comic book characters and even companies. Roxxon has shown up a couple times in the movies, it's a company that's about as evil as Hydra but still exists because it makes everything.

They also do a good job of blaming whatever insanity just killed hundreds of people on the current president, fire his ass while assisting SHIELD/The Government with the investigation so the company looks like a chump but not evil.

So, less evil than Exon Mobile?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    SURE! Why not? Vampire monkey's are part of the rainbow of possibilities.

Honestly, though, that's one thing... AoS has so far done a great job of building mythology, like X-Files. But, like X-Files, it needs great one-offs. And I feel like, while they're servicing the movie branch with the Inhumans mythology, they should use smaller properties for their one-offs. I missed the Absorbing Man episode, but I'm glad they did it, and didn't make it super-important continuity-time.

You could actually have them cold-open an episode taking down some asshat with a stilt suit. Or the Blade one-off I mentioned. Or, there's this guy just killing all the criminals in New York. He's so good, and so elusive, that there's a strong possibility he's "gifted." Nope, just some crazed vigilante in a black t-shirt. With a skull on it.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    If they do make a Blade TV series, let's hope it's better than the last live action series they made.

It wasn't that bad, honestly. Nothing Marvel couldn't improve on, and steal what it did right.
    Now that there's an actual MCU with actual superheroes and Norse demigods and Inhumans, that SHIELD didn't even know about(!), I feel like the Vampire problem is something that could very easily slide into continuity.

HYDRA's been there for seventy-plus years just doing their evil thing. The Inhumans have been chilling under the radar.

The first Blade movie could've easily occurred in the MCU as we know it now. The tagline from the trailers gives you all you need to know- vampires are real, and they've been hiding in plain sight for centuries. With local/national governments working with the vampire nations to uphold a masquerade (ugh), SHIELD could very easily not know shit. HYDRA might know, but they're evil, so... I mean, Vampire Apocalypse Scenario 394 could be part of why HYDRA has such a hard-on for protection-through-oppression.

Also, if we just pretend the Blade movies were actually in-MCU, take a look:

1997: Some pissant vampire hipster murders the leaders of the Twelve Houses, almost becomes a god. Blade kills the shit out of him, mainly for the heinous offense of attempting to defy gravity whilst wearing ice skates. Nobody gives a shit, because everybody who might is real dead. Also, this whole thing takes place in the underbelly of a generally shit-ridden metropolitan city that is not New York or implied to be. But we're now down a couple hundred vampires and most of their leadership.

2002-ish: The apparent overlord of all the vampire houses accidentally releases a mutant strain of vampires into the literal underground of either Prague or another nondescript Eastern-European city. Blade proceeds to murder the shit out of everything in sight whilst wearing a pretty rad parka-like jacket. The Vampire Overlord dies. Shit's in disarray.

2004/2005: Fucking Dracula wakes up and subsequently gets the ice-skating treatment. A virus is released that kills vampires.

2008, three years after Blade put the progenitor of all vampires in the ground and has probably crippled Vampire society, Tony Stark emerges from a cave somewhere in the middle east as Iron Man. SHIELD has spent the last seventy years collecting alien knick-knacks and nazi science experiments, and now they've got their eyes on some very public super-humans.

That'd be great, though I'd rather Blade: Trinity be ejected from canon at light speed. I doubt they'd bring on that baggage when they can start fresh. I trust Marvel can do right by the series, and this time I'd like Blade to be British like in the comics.

• Options
    Tommatt wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    If we do get another Blade movie, I'd prefer it be kept low-profile and out of the main MCU films. "Now there's vampires" does not add anything to the universe, and will probably make everything seem really silly.

That said, having a Blade movie that exists in the shadows of the other films and gives occasional nods to it could be fun, as long as the other films ignore it.

Cinimax TV show.

Not happening, unless they're owned by Disney. Which is a shame.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    If they do make a Blade TV series, let's hope it's better than the last live action series they made.

It wasn't that bad, honestly. Nothing Marvel couldn't improve on, and steal what it did right.
    Now that there's an actual MCU with actual superheroes and Norse demigods and Inhumans, that SHIELD didn't even know about(!), I feel like the Vampire problem is something that could very easily slide into continuity.

HYDRA's been there for seventy-plus years just doing their evil thing. The Inhumans have been chilling under the radar.

The first Blade movie could've easily occurred in the MCU as we know it now. The tagline from the trailers gives you all you need to know- vampires are real, and they've been hiding in plain sight for centuries. With local/national governments working with the vampire nations to uphold a masquerade (ugh), SHIELD could very easily not know shit. HYDRA might know, but they're evil, so... I mean, Vampire Apocalypse Scenario 394 could be part of why HYDRA has such a hard-on for protection-through-oppression.

1997: Some pissant vampire hipster murders the leaders of the Twelve Houses, almost becomes a god. Blade kills the shit out of him, mainly for the heinous offense of attempting to defy gravity whilst wearing ice skates. Nobody gives a shit, because everybody who might is real dead. Also, this whole thing takes place in the underbelly of a generally shit-ridden metropolitan city that is not New York or implied to be. But we're now down a couple hundred vampires and most of their leadership.

2002-ish: The apparent overlord of all the vampire houses accidentally releases a mutant strain of vampires into the literal underground of either Prague or another nondescript Eastern-European city. Blade proceeds to murder the shit out of everything in sight whilst wearing a pretty rad parka-like jacket. The Vampire Overlord dies. Shit's in disarray.

2004/2005: Fucking Dracula wakes up and subsequently gets the ice-skating treatment. A virus is released that kills vampires.

2008, three years after Blade put the progenitor of all vampires in the ground and has probably crippled Vampire society, Tony Stark emerges from a cave somewhere in the middle east as Iron Man. SHIELD has spent the last seventy years collecting alien knick-knacks and nazi science experiments, and now they've got their eyes on some very public super-humans.

That'd be great, though I'd rather Blade: Trinity be ejected from canon at light speed. I doubt they'd bring on that baggage when they can start fresh. I trust Marvel can do right by the series, and this time I'd like Blade to be British like in the comics.

So . . . Chiwetel Ejiofor?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

So . . . Chiwetel Ejiofor?
    11/10 would watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w3JRz4Q8ME

New Blade in action.

• Options

Yeah, Blade3 was pretty garbage, even though I enjoyed it to a degree.

I feel like they could acknowledge the first two movies in the current MCU and just go from there. I actually like Snipes' Blade, though I could definitely live with them toning-down the more "urban" aspect of him being black. A think that I, as a black kid growing up, enjoyed about Blade is that, yeah- he's black. But he doesn't really belong to any culture. Blade, in the movies, was a complete loner, and didn't really desire anything else. His relationship with Whistler was all the bond he had, and he operated optimally even with it- that is to say, he was a terrifying killing machine with zero social skills with or without his surrogate family.

Though, I do like the idea of musician Blade kind of hinted at by his old backstory.

• Options

Yeah, Blade3 was pretty garbage, even though I enjoyed it to a degree.

I feel like they could acknowledge the first two movies in the current MCU and just go from there. I actually like Snipes' Blade, though I could definitely live with them toning-down the more "urban" aspect of him being black. A think that I, as a black kid growing up, enjoyed about Blade is that, yeah- he's black. But he doesn't really belong to any culture. Blade, in the movies, was a complete loner, and didn't really desire anything else. His relationship with Whistler was all the bond he had, and he operated optimally even with it- that is to say, he was a terrifying killing machine with zero social skills with or without his surrogate family.

Though, I do like the idea of musician Blade kind of hinted at by his old backstory.

:+1:

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The best thing about Blade 3 was Ryan Reynolds cracking jokes constantly. Which was also done because Wesley Snipes basically refused to do any work after he did a bunch of closeups, so Reynolds was trying to make the most absurd jokes up to go along with Snipes pre-recorded stoney faced stare.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    u2ay0ibi2wov.gif
    All this Blade talk

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I could watch a whole season of TV based on what we learned in Blade 2 about the vampire hierarchy. There was so much meat (blood?) in that movie to unpack.

• Options
    I could watch a whole season of TV based on what we learned in Blade 2 about the vampire hierarchy. There was so much meat (blood?) in that movie to unpack.

The good news about Marvel starting over is they can create their own Bloodpack.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015

We'll see what the reception to the new F4 movie is. If it does well, then Fox will probably just laugh in Marvel's face on the way to the bank.

Eh, Fox is still doing just peachy financially, unlike Sony, so I dunno if they'd go that far. Then again, this is their third shot at getting FF off the ground with a decent flick. If this attempt doesn't take they may just say fuck it and get rid of it and I kinda hope that happens just so Doctor Doom can finally be done right.
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The best thing about Blade 3 was Ryan Reynolds cracking jokes constantly. Which was also done because Wesley Snipes basically refused to do any work after he did a bunch of closeups, so Reynolds was trying to make the most absurd jokes up to go along with Snipes pre-recorded stoney faced stare.

This also pretty much lead directly to Ryan being the fan favorite to play Deadpool because he kinda was playing the part there.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Even if it does poorly I don't see it changing anything unless Hugh Jackman has a heart attack before Apocalypse. As long as they can coast to profit on his chiseled pecs with even critically hated movies, they'll never play ball with Marvel. They'll go back to sitting on Fantastic Four for a few years until they can figure out a way to make Wolverine the main character.

Hevach on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I don't even want X-Men to merge with the MCU. I'm perfectly happy without having boatloads of mutants suddenly appearing, having done nothing for the fiew years that the MCU has been going. The Inhumans suddenly appearing has a story reason, and works fine.

It works for Spiderman because, as has been said, he's the ultimate street-level hero. Having him mostly active in his little corner of New York is perfectly plausible. Same with Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist. Not so with the X-Men.

However, I really want them to get the Fantastic Four back, if only so they get Dr Doom back as an Avengers villain.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I don't even want X-Men to merge with the MCU. I'm perfectly happy without having boatloads of mutants suddenly appearing, having done nothing for the fiew years that the MCU has been going. The Inhumans suddenly appearing has a story reason, and works fine.

It works for Spiderman because, as has been said, he's the ultimate street-level hero. Having him mostly active in his little corner of New York is perfectly plausible. Same with Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist. Not so with the X-Men.

However, I really want them to get the Fantastic Four back, if only so they get Dr Doom back as an Avengers villain.

Once the Inhumans trigger is pulled in earnest, I think *if* Marvel gets the X-men back, they'd merge mutants and inhumans into one thing for purposes of the MCU, possibly making "mutant" a common derisive term and "inhuman" the proper one. Lets them make the twins Magneto's kids again, lets them import any X-men related characters without explanation, and if the universe explodes tomorrow and they somehow get it back before Civil War starts filming, it lets them port in related mutant characters and their storylines without disrupting the whole plan to use inhumans as stands-ins for mutants.

Edit: I do agree with a couple posters dislike of the "everything is Inhumans" theories, but this one makes some degree of sense with how Inhumans are already being used as a substitute for mutants and what mutants they do have rights to are already being converted over - if they do go the direction they seem to be going, it'd only be a change of one word to port in any X-men story or character. Also, the more I think of it, the more I kind of like the idea of mutant as a derisive and not a proper label, since it always was kind of weird to me that it served as both.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    The only reason the Sony deal made it through at all is that no one gives up anything and everyone profits. Sony still has the movie rights, Marvel still has the merch rights, and the only difference is that Marvel gets creative input and gets to use another pool of characters. Fox is not in the same boat, and I am not talking financially because Spider-Man is still the biggest superhero franchise on his own.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    The deal will only be profitable to both parties if Sony doesn't fuck it up. And considering how Tom Rothman is the new head of Sony Pictures, the fear that they could is a very real possibility.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Interestingly, I think Jackman wants to be part of the larger MCU. He frequently posts about how cool it would be to do a team up

• Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    The deal will only be profitable to both parties if Sony doesn't fuck it up. And considering how Tom Rothman is the new head of Sony Pictures, the fear that they could is a very real possibility.

Nah, Spider-Man being in Civil War is a huge selling point, whether or not the next Spidey film is good.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Interestingly, I think Jackman wants to be part of the larger MCU. He frequently posts about how cool it would be to do a team up

Jackman genuinely enjoys his roles, and acting in general. That's why he did things like the Australian Lipton Iced Tea ads and Foxtel ads. He just likes acting.

So the ability to do an ensemble with people like Robery Downey Jnr and Samuel L Jackson would be a huge thing for him.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I don't even care about the X-Men proper. Just give me Excalibur done by Marvel and I can die happy.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    You can say what you will about Jackman, the dude is iconic at this point, like Davit Hayter portraying Solid Snake in Metal Gear.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Blade seems pretty well geared to be a Netflix series more than anything. It's not super effects heavy and would do well existing in its own little niche, but still tied to Marvel as a whole.

Speaking of series, how was the Blade series from years back? I've heard mixed things about it. Could that get wedged into the current MCU?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    It was OK. There was quite a bit of world building. They focused a lot on developing the vampire society. It would be difficult to fold it into the MCU since the vampires aristocracy were pretty powerful and secretly controlled important organizations in human society.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    It was OK. There was quite a bit of world building. They focused a lot on developing the vampire society. It would be difficult to fold it into the MCU since the vampires aristocracy were pretty powerful and secretly controlled important organizations in human society.

Nah, Marvel can do it. Just need to make sure the vampires are competent enough to stay under the radar - and possibly have moles in secret organizations like HYDRA.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2015

Nah, Marvel can do it. Just need to make sure the vampires are competent enough to stay under the radar - and possibly have moles in secret organizations like HYDRA.

"But how have the vampires stayed hidden all this time?"

"HYDRA hid themselves for 60 years inside their greatest enemy, and we have had far longer than that time to perfect blending in. You are all amateurs to us, in . . . pretty much every respect."

Edit: and yes I do picture that last line said by a British actor. Perhaps someone unassuming like Martin Freeman. :wink:

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options

"HYDRA hid themselves for 60 years inside their greatest enemy, and we have had far longer than that time to perfect blending in. You are all amateurs to us, in . . . pretty much every respect."

Edit: and yes I do picture that last line said by a British actor. Perhaps someone unassuming like Martin Freeman. :wink:

We have had a couple of problems with employees spontaneously com busting when asked to cover for coworkers during they dayshift.

• Options
    Tommatt wrote: »

We have had a couple of problems with employees spontaneously com busting when asked to cover for coworkers during they dayshift.

That can be solved depending on what they want to be their vamps to be like, and can be compensated for anything from technology to magic - or ignored entirely. Vampires don't have to follow all the classic rules. They don't even have to be undead, the vampires in Blade's movies weren't.

This discussion has been closed.