As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Thread About Interesting Facts For Interested Individuals

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Was that just for Liiya, or can I enjoy that article too?

As Queen, Liiya has the option to enact the right of Prima Readthrough, so you have to wait until she's finished with the article

Eff that what did we fight the War of 1812 for then?!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

As Queen, Liiya has the option to enact the right of Prima Readthrough, so you have to wait until she's finished with the article

They call it 'the war of across the pond aggression' in England

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    That dude got blasted with a time gun and most of his goatee got singed off

• Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular

For the privilege of being ruled by Liiya. I'm pretty sure that when Queenie dies and Charlie gets the throne a bunch of countries are gonna go Republic rather than keep the crown as head of state.

Vaguely on topic, I got stuck on Wikipedia and discovered that the Queen of New Zealand is technically a distinct position from the Queen of England, despite being the same person. I find that interesting.

orthanc
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Orthanc wrote: »
    Vaguely on topic, I got stuck on Wikipedia and discovered that the Queen of New Zealand is technically a distinct position from the Queen of England, despite being the same person. I find that interesting.

She has a lot of distinct positions beyond simply that of the UK, even if they all follow the same rules of succession:

Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, The Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, The Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, St.Lucia, St.Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, and St.Kitts and Nevis, Queen, Defender of the Faith, Duchess of Edinburgh, Countess of Merioneth, Baroness Greenwich, Duke of Lancaster, Lord of Mann, Duke of Normandy, Sovereign of the Most Honourable Order of the Garter, Sovereign of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Sovereign of the Most Illustrious Order of Saint Patrick, Sovereign of the Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George, Sovereign of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Sovereign of the Distinguished Service Order, Sovereign of the Imperial Service Order, Sovereign of the Most Exalted Order of the Star of India, Sovereign of the Most Eminent Order of the Indian Empire, Sovereign of the Order of British India, Sovereign of the Indian Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of Burma, Sovereign of the Royal Order of Victoria and Albert, Sovereign of the Royal Family Order of King Edward VII, Sovereign of the Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of the Companions of Honour, Sovereign of the Royal Victorian Order, Sovereign of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    For a longtime the British Monarchy also claimed to be King of France.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular

and for a while the Kings of England ruled more of French territory than the King of France did.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »

and for a while the Kings of England ruled more of French territory than the King of France did.

Especially the parts where the good booze was made

What? I'm just sayin'

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMBy8ZoGE_I

If you remember the friend I complained about who is anti-skeptic to the point of believing that the recent possible discovery of a new ninth planet justifies all the old Planet X and Nemesis nonsense, he recently used this interesting thing to be all, "Skeptics would be going in if you told them there you saw a jaguar in the wild in Arizona. Another example of why you should not ridicule people and keep an open mind."

These jaguars were native to the region and are/were endangered!

They're not some fucking cryptozoological myth!

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah I was actually a little sad when I read the bit saying the various domains have an agreement that they only change the succession rules if everyone agrees. I was kind of hoping somewhere hadn't applied the recent changes so that at some point down the line the monarchy would end up split.

orthanc
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »

Yeah, the much-like-the-Byzantines-named-after-the-fact Angevin Empire. Henry II being technically a vassal to the French King in his French lands but ruling as his own man in England.

And then where the vestigial claim actually comes from, Henry V successfully warring and being named as heir to the French Throne, dying two months before he could claim it and unfortunately nine month old babbys are not good at defending such claims.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Orthanc wrote: »
    Yeah I was actually a little sad when I read the bit saying the various domains have an agreement that they only change the succession rules if everyone agrees. I was kind of hoping somewhere hadn't applied the recent changes so that at some point down the line the monarchy would end up split.

This has actually happened in the past, which is probably why such an agreement exist now.

So, in 1714 after some serious political wrangling (mostly involving Scottish trade rights in English colonial territory, with a healthy dose of keeping those damn Catholic Stuarts off the throne) Georg Ludwig Elector-Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg (usually referred to as Hanover, for reasons) ascended the throne of a newly united Kingdom of Great Britain as George I. It was a bit messy importing a German King to rule Britain, but hey, better than a Catholic am I right? However, George, or Georg, still remained Elector-Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, and for the next hundred or so years the house of Hanover ruled both Britain and their little Duchy in Germany, plus whatever other possessions they picked up as time went on. There is a brief intermission between 1807 and 1813 during which time Napoleon is doing his best to redraw the map of Europe, and being mostly always at war with Britain he organized the Kingdom of Westphalia out of former Brunswick-Lüneburg and some Prussian territory and gave it to his little brother to rule. After Bonaparte got his ass kicked out of France (twice) the Congress of Vienna in 1814 gave the area back to King George III of Great Britain, but they dispensed with the unwieldy Brunswick-Lüneburg name and just called it the Kingdom of Hanover (it also got quite a bit bigger, since a fair number of nearby smaller German polities had remained loyal to Napoleon for a bit too long).

All was well until 1837 when Willaim IV died, in Great Britain the succession law allowed for female inheritance so Queen Victoria took the throne. In Hanover however, inheritance law required all male relatives to be dead before a female could inherit, so Victoria's uncle Ernest Augustus took the throne in Hanover ending it's personal union with Great Britain. (In 1866, devoid of any British interest in defending it, Hanover gets overrun and annexed again, this time by the Kingdom of Prussia, who was doing rather a lot of that sort of thing in those days).

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    The gif itself is 2mb so I can't link it directly, but there's a really neat visualization of the radioactivity emitted by a chunk of uranium at C&EN's Chemistry in Pictures feature:

http://cen.chempics.org/post/138117531671/radioactivity-live-in-this-short-movie-you-can
    C&EN wrote:
    RADIOACTIVITY LIVE!
    In this short movie, you can watch radioactivity in action thanks to a cloud chamber, a plastic box cooled to –30 °C and filled with isopropyl alcohol vapor. For this demonstration, Julien Simon placed a 0.3-cm³ lump of a radioactive uranium-containing mineral called uraninite inside the chamber. α-Particles and β-particles—the two kinds of radiation given off by uranium-235 and uranium-238—hurdle through the chamber, hitting the alcohol molecules floating around. Because the particles are charged, they rip electrons off or add electrons to the alcohol molecules. This in turn gives the molecules a charge, which then makes them attract noncharged molecules around them. When the molecules bunch together, they make visible white clouds that trace the paths of the ejected particles. α-Particles produce straight, thick clouds, while β-particles create longer, more erratic ones.
    Credit: Julien Simon

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    all this talk of smallpox was makin' me legit nervous until I remembered I got vaccinated against it

I recently learned that the vaccine only bestows full immunity for like a decade. So I guess it's about time for me to stop playing in abandoned biological warfare labs.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Cracked.com is kind of click bait, but its interesting click bait, and the better articles have citations.
    http://www.cracked.com/article_22142_5-badass-facts-about-women-that-history-books-leave-out_p3.html

The Scythians were awesome, FYI

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    all this talk of smallpox was makin' me legit nervous until I remembered I got vaccinated against it

I recently learned that the vaccine only bestows full immunity for like a decade. So I guess it's about time for me to stop playing in abandoned biological warfare labs.

You are a complete buzzkill and you are absolutely ruining Tuesday Night Urban Exploration and Possible Contamination.

• Options

You are a complete buzzkill and you are absolutely ruining Tuesday Night Urban Exploration and Possible Contamination.

Look, I didn't make the vaccine! You're not the only one who is going to have to find a new way to spend Tuesday nights, you know.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options

Look, I didn't make the vaccine! You're not the only one who is going to have to find a new way to spend Tuesday nights, you know.

Who's going to do the potluck now?!?

• Options
    Look, maybe we can move the potluck to the abandoned asylum this time. It would be a nice change in ambiance, anyway.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Look, maybe we can move the potluck to the abandoned asylum this time. It would be a nice change in ambiance, anyway.

You bring your book of necromancy that you found in the attic of that house on the hill and I'll bring the group of witless college students.

You'll know it's me because I'll have them all in my white-panel-van that has 'Free Candy' painted on the side.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    peozxu18fbgn.jpg

chromdom on
  • Options
    THEY STOLE MY VAN?!?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It was the van or your Reeses stash.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »

THE STASH WAS IN THE VAN!!!

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

If it was the Reeses stash they'd hear the screams in Mongolia.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

This is what we call putting all your eggs in one basket. Or van as the case may be.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Speaking of vaccines, my brother-in-law, who I am no fan of, posted on Facebook asking if anybody knew anything about a delayed vaccination program because he didn't believe in vaccination and now his kid is getting close to public school age and he's gotta go get them shots!

My wife showed it to me and I laughed for a solid minute.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

This is what we call putting all your eggs in one basket. Or van as the case may be.

Aw man, they got the eggs? Those are Reeses' best product!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    THEY STOLE MY VAN?!?

I dunno man, I was just driving down the street and there it was. I snapped a quick pic for you, but was caught behind other cars at a light. But you have a last known location so you can get the feds on the case: Grand Theft Reese's.

• Options
    Can't talk now, hunting Reese's thieves, dodging media coverage and Johnny Law.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    peozxu18fbgn.jpg

A guy I knew in college had one that had Danger Cart spray painted on it.

latest?cb=20130627202333

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Speaking of vaccines, my brother-in-law, who I am no fan of, posted on Facebook asking if anybody knew anything about a delayed vaccination program because he didn't believe in vaccination and now his kid is getting close to public school age and he's gotta go get them shots!

My wife showed it to me and I laughed for a solid minute.

Sounds like his kid has a few really awful doctor's visits coming up. :bigfrown:

• Options
    littlewrenlittlewren Registered User regular
    Can't talk now, hunting Reese's thieves, dodging media coverage and Johnny Law.

I found what happened to the Reese's. It isn't pretty. In fact, it's downright weird and borderline disturbing.

https://youtu.be/jxT59kF4jVw

Y48pkDN.jpg?1
    Twitter: @LittleWren42
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    uh mods why is this sick body horror allowed to be posted

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Recess filled with Oreo filling sounds delicious.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I wrote The Moon Rules #1 on the side of your car

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I'm not sure Id want to rule #1 or #2, but each to their own, I'm not in to kink shaming

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    A portion of DJ Kool Herc's old block in the Bronx - 1520 Sedgwick Ave. - is going to be renamed Hip Hop Boulevard.

What with it being the birthplace of hip hop and all.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Hello again bird thread. Remember me? Anyway, enough chatting; here's a yellow warbler:

7R06ALu.jpg

Yellow warblers are one of many species brown-headed cowbirds parasitize by laying eggs in their nests. When yellow warblers notice this, they just build a new nest on top of the old nest.

VKpwOz2.jpg

In one recorded case, a warbler built five consecutive nests atop the first because the cowbirds just wouldn't give up. The little warbler wouldn't give up either.

This discussion has been closed.