As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls] in which we discuss modding and murder Thalmor on sight

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Hopefully, the various lesser Daedra are back in the next game. I missed seeing scamps, hungers, etc.

They did much to add some variety to enemy types. Draugr were a poor replacement.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I hope the next game is more gory.

Maybe with a Chivalry style memes system. That would never happen but would be sweet.

I had this idea for a while: the next TES could be called Akavir, and it's a campaign about an Imperial colony completing with a Thalmor colony on Akavir, and the tech and aesthetic could be advanced around the 1600s, where you have arquebus's but you still have rapiers, zweihanders, pikes, crossbows, scimitars and wide variety of other weapons. You could have those cool Polish-style cavalry with the wing thingies on the helmets. You could introduce the old races of Akavir as cool new eastern style cultures with their monkey people and snake people and more eastern weapons like Naginatas, Tetsubos, and Mongol style cleaver swords. It would be this cool contrast of newer European style vs a traditional Eastern culture. Dungeons could be based on the old ruins of Akavirian humans that got ran off or killed. Different intros could take place depending on your race, like Humans starting out in the Imperial colony and Elves starting in the Thalmor colony, and maybe you could choose a new race from the Akavirans like the monkey people and you could have this situation where you're thrust into the dynamic of competing colonies and natives.

Edit: melee system*

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I don't want to leave Tamriel until we've had a game about every province though.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    If I had the time and money, I'd make a DLC sized mod about a series of volcanoes that formed islands the same time as Red Mountain finding its voice. A group of Akvarii and Tamrielians build a colony but one asshole kills the leadership of both groups and sets themselves up as king, ruling with an iron fist with four enforcers and four horcrux champions. Kill them all to free the land, or at least make it easier to kill the king.

I wonder how I would make the player sing row, row, row your boat for three hours to get help from Sheogorath?

• Options
    zoro4661zoro4661 Sir C Dot Annibal GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I wonder how I would make the player sing row, row, row your boat for three hours to get help from Sheogorath?

Just tell them that they have to actually sing it in real life and make the player unable to move for the next three hours.

zoro4661 on
    I like all kinds of people, but the roasted ones are my favourite.
  • Options
    zoro4661 wrote: »

Just tell them that they have to actually sing it in real life and make the player unable to move for the next three hours.

Yes, but then I won't be able to have him say, "No song, no boat." and then have Big S change from a boat back into himself, then there you are, in the middle of the ocean, sitting on top of a respectable old man with no boat.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    zoro4661 wrote: »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pifQm3IZ1tc

• Options
    Or I could keep making them click the right lines in the conversation window to keep us sailing, turning him back into a man if we stop.

But back to this game, I keep crashing every time I try to improve this glass scimitar.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Red Mountain finding its voice.

This is a really cool turn of phrase

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I can't remember if I heard it in a mod or in the game.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Either way, thanks for introducing it to me!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Wow, first mention on google is all about the glass scimitar causing you to crash.

3rd era weapons, you disappoint me.

I'm able to use it in a save, but something triggers it at some point to turn from just another item to a CTD button.

edit:using COC to travel to whiterun and drop it in the first container I found seems to have worked, going to be a lot of experiments. Hope this bug doesn't extend to armor.

Also, Mjoll and Janessa started arguing with one another over a skull I dropped on the ground. It was a gift from an Interesting NPC character after I returned her bone tools to her.

Damn that mod for giving me too many interesting characters. I suppose I should choose a steward now....you can still adventure with your steward, right?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    zoro4661zoro4661 Sir C Dot Annibal GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Also, Mjoll and Janessa started arguing with one another over a skull I dropped on the ground.

I love how after 630 hours, there's still dialogue in Skyrim I never encountered. I just walked out of Rifton and started looting some barrels (like any normal person) when I heard Mjoll ask Lydia why I search through the trash, to which Lydia replied that "One man's trash is another man's treasure" (Or something like that. I don't know. I play my game in german.). Five minutes later, Aranea Ienith draws her mace on Mjoll because I dropped a helmet.
    I suppose I should choose a steward now....you can still adventure with your steward, right?

I believe so.

zoro4661 on
    I like all kinds of people, but the roasted ones are my favourite.
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Interesting NPCs throws so much good stuff into Skyrim, and it blends right in when judged on the basis of lore, consistency, quality, etc.

However it stands right out like a blaring siren any time one of the characters speak and it isn't in one of the six voices to which I've become accustomed.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Hopefully, the various lesser Daedra are back in the next game. I missed seeing scamps, hungers, etc.

They did much to add some variety to enemy types. Draugr were a poor replacement.

Ah, I forgot to mention that in ESO at least, scamps, banekin, imps, clannfear, daederoth, ogrim, Winged Twilights, Golden Saints, and Dark Seducers are ALL back in the game, so I would expect there to be some of the same in whatever the next ES game is.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I would like more gory combat I guess, but also just better combat in general. Which is sort of hard to do. Like, after playing games like Shadow of mordor I want a character that can do that but its impossible. Our only melee option is to move awkwardly and take very awkward swings.

Although in Bethesda games its not just about the combat, tis true.

I would like to see the ES universe set in the 1600s, as mentioned above. Or even later, like the mid 1700s. What happens to magic when the lay person has a firearm? Interesting things. Of course then you get magic guns. So it evens out? I would just like to see ES races in one of these time periods.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    I would much rather have an Elder Scrolls game that was focused on Myst-like exploration and puzzle-solving, plus building my house and gardening, plus diplomacy, negotiation, and blackmail. If I occasionally, like, once in a while, have to shank a guy, fine, but I'd rather the focus first be on talking to folks, finding cool stuff to look at, and feeling like a clever jerk when I solve the puzzle.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    I like gore but hate horror films. I think I just want both sides to have a fighting chance. Unless its cliff racers, then I want them to have fireballs while I have Mjolnir.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

Ah, I forgot to mention that in ESO at least, scamps, banekin, imps, clannfear, daederoth, ogrim, Winged Twilights, Golden Saints, and Dark Seducers are ALL back in the game, so I would expect there to be some of the same in whatever the next ES game is.
    Depends. Remember that the mundane daedra were absent from Skyrim because Mundus and Oblivion were separated at the end of TES 4. ESO is second era, a couple thousand years prior.

I don't really expect them to go back into the third era for TES 6, so they'd have to come up with some kind of narrative contrivance for why the Oblivion planes are reconnected to mortal reality.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Oblivion is still connected, but Daedra can't just wander in due to the barrier. Summoning works fine.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    How do people feel about Maskar's oblivion overhaul? I'm not the biggest fan of ooo, so I was leaning towards frans, but I heard some recommendations for maskars and it sounds interesting.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Or I could keep making them click the right lines in the conversation window to keep us sailing, turning him back into a man if we stop.

But back to this game, I keep crashing every time I try to improve this glass scimitar.

curved swords m i rite

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    How do people feel about Maskar's oblivion overhaul? I'm not the biggest fan of ooo, so I was leaning towards frans, but I heard some recommendations for maskars and it sounds interesting.

Well it abrviates to MOO so it can't be all bad.

• Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

curved swords m i rite

Curved. Swords.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Hmm, all these oblivion overhauls seem to change more crap than I want. I may just slap on realistic levelling, go vanilla, and learn to love the daedric.

Edit: I think I've decided on a modset:

4gb + obse
    Unofficial patches
    Enhanced vegetation + texture patch
    Unique landscapes + open cities reborn+ compat patches
    All natural
    Automated windows chimney lighting
    Oblivion character overhaul v2
    Darnui
    Dynamic maps
    Idle dialogue scripts
    Sm plugin refurbish (dlc notice delayer)

Realistic leveling
    Mobs
    Wepon
    Morrowind weapons w/ mobs patch
    Supreme majicka possibly

Anything there out of date or that will blow up my video card?

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Oh Maven Black-Briar, you're such a terrible person. Why am I not surprised to find this in your basement while I'm cleaning out your manor of all manner of valuables?
    ?.jpg

Can anyone recommend a decent high-res texture mod that is also efficient? I've tried using the official high-res textures, and while it's fine 85% of the time, there are moments when I'll hit my VRAM cap and get terrible pausing and stuttering while it shuffles data around. I like the way it looks, but it's a pain in the ass when it affects gameplay.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent high-res texture mod that is also efficient? I've tried using the official high-res textures, and while it's fine 85% of the time, there are moments when I'll hit my VRAM cap and get terrible pausing and stuttering while it shuffles data around. I like the way it looks, but it's a pain in the ass when it affects gameplay.
    Bethesda Hi-Res DLC Optimized is the obvious recommendation. aMidianBorn Book of Silence is also a bit more efficient than the official textures while looking miles better.

• Options
    Ooh thanks for those links, just what I needed. I think I'll stick with the first one for now, stay with the vanilla look.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That seems to have done the trick perfectly so far, even in Whiterun which was giving me the worst slowdown due to having other mods add a bunch more clutter and trees to the town.

I thought I had screwed something up when I was getting single-digit FPS at times, but that was me being dumb and forgetting I had fiddled with putting shadows and radial blur up to Ultra. Knocked them back and I'm now solidly in the 30-60 frame range at all times.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I used to run with all sorts've texture packs layering over each other, but recently did a mod wipe and, at the recommendation of the Skyrim STEP Guide, switched to using the optimized vanilla textures with a few other things to spruce up the look (ENB, water mod, weather, generally everything recommended by the guide). My game looks as good as ever, and even runs better than before.

No mod, however, has done more for the stability of my game than OneTweak, which is actually about four tweaks, the primary one being borderless windowed mode. I installed the mod because I kept having an issue with the game minimizing itself, and not only did that get fixed, but now my Skyrim basically never crashes. It's amazing.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Monger wrote: »
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Bethesda Hi-Res DLC Optimized is the obvious recommendation. aMidianBorn Book of Silence is also a bit more efficient than the official textures while looking miles better.

This really reminds me--I'm running aMidianBorn's complete pack (or rather, most of it), on top of the old Bethesda official packs. I'm not getting much stuttering, but I do wonder how much performance I'm costing myself.

Of course, then the first time I run into a blurry texture I'll go "%$&$@#! I have a GTX 970 for this? Garble garble garble!"

• Options
    This is weird, but really hi res textures hurt immersion a bit for me. My brain goes "you wouldn't really see that much detail across a room in real life" and it makes things stand out. Kind of like those high frame rate interpolation tvs look a bit like everyone moves weird because we are used to seeing 30fps video.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    You know what, I haven't played in a while. Let me pop in, rejigger my inventory and.......bone dragon dropping to the ground, stuns me, summons bone knights.....and I'm dead in about 5 seconds.

I'm kind of impressed.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Anyone here played with Ordinator mod? How does it compare to Perkus Maximus or SPERG?

• Options
    I have played a bit with Ordinator, but I don't know if what I've played is really enough to say for sure whether it's worthwhile. The perks are kinda all over the place, where you're kinda just picking random things rather than seeing a natural progression of power. The author says this is more or less intended, as this allows the greatest flexibility in what your character can do.

The last version I played still had lots of things that didn't work, but the author seems pretty serious about updating it (both bug fixing and changing values based on player feedback), so I'll more than likely give it more time in the future.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I think weapons of the third era was abandoned in recent months, I can no longer find where I downloaded it from.

Also, this build is boarked due to the scimitars and something to do with their models. Might just rush towards the end game and be done with it.

edit: Found Zora Fair Child, all is right with the world. Now I'm really conflicted with her as my wife or the harpy flower Khajit in Riften.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    friend of mine swung by to watch the LoL worlds and when he came in I was playing my heavily modded TESV. ENB, hi res everything, improved animations and HDT physics hair/weapon scabbards/capes with heavy foliage and weather effects etc, etc (not to mention all the crazy armory from IA) and he asked what I was playing.

It never occurred to me that someone who owned this game for the PC might not mod it. Not even community patches.

He had never modded the game. He didn't even know the nexus existed and never visited steam workshop.

"Can I make my game look like yours?"

I told him to bring his PC over because describing all the processes would have given me a headache.

Now, this guy isn't some un-baptized occasional laptop warrior. This guy built his last four pc's and they were all pretty serious instruments.

I had no idea how foreign the notion of modding a title is to even some avid gamers. Guys who watch twitch instead of TV shows and consider the LCS to be a "call everyone and get beer and fire up the grill" occasion.

But modding isn't, surprisingly, the norm for these titles. In fact, Bethesda is catering rather heavily to just a fraction of their consumers. And yet look at the community of modders it has created. And look at the kinds of clever software they've created to make modding user friendly! I mean, I remember modding Half Life waaaaaay back in the day. Or the military sim mods for Unreal Tournament??? You had to pluck three golden hairs from the living back of a single wild caterpillar as yet identified only by local tradition and undocumented by science and read the ancient texts inscribed upon them beneath the vermillion glow of St. Elmo's fire during the summer solstice to get that shit to run without a CTD or worse a hard lock.

Now I go to a site and download a 2 gig texture file in three minutes and install it by clicking its name In a program that knew the file was done downloading before I located it on my drive.

Yet modding still isn't as popular as one might think.

i won't play vanilla Skyrim simply because the animations are so jarring after playing with so many mods for so long. But my friend didn't even know there were official HD texture patches. I realize when I boot up TESV to test a new mod that I'm in the minority. I stood in line at launch to get my copy with the very friend I'm referring to now. For him, Skyrim was THAT game and nothing else. For me, Skyrim has been a dozen games with countless iterations of its own internal canon. My girlfriend has never fought Alduin once but she's won the civil war for the storm cloaks like ten times as ten different crazy barbarian ladies with varying glowing blue tattoos, hairstyles, and bone armor. That's the game for her. I modded the civil war to include insane random battles and she just wanders the map looking for fights to join. Sometimes there's a dragon. K. Kill it I guess then get back to the game.

My friend, however, has never seen this game. In fact, most of the people who own TESV have not seen that game. He told me it was just "Get Daedric armor and go kill the main dragon." That's Elder Scrolls. Get to Daedric Armor then beat the game.

And that's more common than I realized. That's, like THE game.

He hadnt played Skyrim in ages and now he can't wait to tell me about his new characters.

When I mentioned the fiasco with the Steam workshop it meant nothing to him. Yet the modding community was in a very vocal uproar about the whole mess. It was then that I discovered the ratio of sold titles to the size of the mod community and was astounded by the disparity. Yet, Bethesda was terrified of ruining that community.

I guess I'm going off on a tangent but I'm just surprised by the community that has built itself around TES titles based solely on the ability to adjust them or mold them and how important that community must be to a company like Bethesda that they would go to the trouble to provide potential console support for mods even though their market studies show that modded titles are far in the minority.

It's a remarkable phenomenon to the point where I think sometimes that buying a TES title isn't just buying a game but more like buying a plot with a finished skyscraper where the construction crew just left their equipment at the site when they were done and said: we fulfilled our end of the bargain. What you do with our shit now is your prerogative.

Oddfish on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    #1 @Oddfish, love your avatar and sig combo.

#2 These are very good points to make because these two worlds of end users are what have helped bethesda survive and grow. The diverse mod community (still trying to find that source of the picture with Samus in power armor on Akira's Kanaeda motorcycle in Vivec city) giving their games new life and a new civilization year after release, and people who play the shit out of the base game. Gamers like this. Both have built the empire of Bethesda, Your friend is the brick, you and your lady friend are the mortar.

edit: I just looked up this video while trying to find that morrowind link, and this entire time, I thought she was asking about Necromancy.

https://youtu.be/Oyvbdacj7gw

RoyceSraphim on
This discussion has been closed.