As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fuck The NCAA]-Athletes Now Able To Make Money Like Rest Of Us Edition

1323334353638»

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    In other NCAA adjacent news. During the Big10MBB championship game, the ref threatened the WI band for chanting No Means No while Terrence Shannon Jr (who was arrested and charged with rape back in December and is only playing because a judge issued an injunction against the school suspending him) shooting free throws.

Writer at The Athletic
    Wisconsin band members confirmed the "No means no" chant was shut down by the Big Ten.

I asked the Big Ten official who addressed the band for the reason why, and was told, "Are we seriously going to argue about this right now?"

What great reasoning.

They could go with "there's not a conviction and he's fighting it out in court, until there's a verdict he stays without being harassed about it", but that's the reasoning of someone not used to being questioned.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    In other NCAA adjacent news. During the Big10MBB championship game, the ref threatened the WI band for chanting No Means No while Terrence Shannon Jr (who was arrested and charged with rape back in December and is only playing because a judge issued an injunction against the school suspending him) shooting free throws.

Writer at The Athletic
    Wisconsin band members confirmed the "No means no" chant was shut down by the Big Ten.

I asked the Big Ten official who addressed the band for the reason why, and was told, "Are we seriously going to argue about this right now?"

What great reasoning.

Yeah, that's "I know that I can't defend my rationale, so I'm going to try to shame you into shutting up."

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Writer at The Athletic

What great reasoning.

They could go with "there's not a conviction and he's fighting it out in court, until there's a verdict he stays without being harassed about it", but that's the reasoning of someone not used to being questioned.

I can think of exactly one reason why someone would be offended to hear the phrase "no means no"

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The Wisconsin band shouldn't throw stones in glass houses.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 21
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Writer at The Athletic

What great reasoning.

I can think of exactly one reason why someone would be offended to hear the phrase "no means no"

Harassment doesn't need to be accurate to be harassment.

jothki on
  • Options
    jothki wrote: »
    Ironically, wouldn't the NCAA's rules completely hamstring a college's ability to do anything about striking players?
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Writer at The Athletic

What great reasoning.

Harassment doesn't need to be accurate to be harassment.

You are not owed a good name from anyone.

• Options
    edited March 28
    And in your reminder that Duke Sucks, Christian Laettner calls for the NCAA to "wipe out" NIL, cut their legal throat:
    “They gotta take out the NIL,” Laettner said. “They gotta wipe that out. They gotta change the transfer portal. I know everyone’s saying the horse is out of the barn and you can’t take stuff back, but how can you establish any type of culture at a school when you’re getting new kids every year? That would mean every year was like my freshman year at Duke; and you’re so much better your third, your fourth year when you’re under one system, one program, one coach, one specifically defined culture… I don’t know how the coaches do it in today’s game, and that’s why some of the better ones are starting to quit.”

The NCAA cannot "wipe out" NIL or get rid of the transfer portal, Christian, because doing so would be fucking illegal, as in "the Supreme Court of the United States, for all its flaws, ruled unanimously that these things are a violation of antitrust law." As for the coaches that are quitting - good riddance. Many of the them were the sort who thrived on the system giving them all the power, and losing that is starting to winnow the field.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Weird, NIL hasn’t prevented Duke from retaining its culture of being a safe space for racist white people

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited April 4
    Back to the House case (a.k.a. the legal K-T event hurtling towards the NCAA), the plaintiffs have filed for summary judgement, citing Baker's maneuvering to create a separate superdivision:
    Citing the NCAA rules change in July 2021 that allowed athletes to begin making money from their NIL and Baker's proposal for further changes, the plaintiffs' lawyers wrote in Wednesday night's filing: "On this record, the case for summary judgment ... could not be stronger."

The plaintiffs’ lawyers called Baker’s proposal – which he has described as a way to allow schools with the NCAA’s highest-revenue sports programs to do more for their athletes while keeping Division I and its current championships structure intact – a “devastating admission” that “it is not possible for (the NCAA) to even raise a genuine issue of fact that the protection of competitive balance” could be a justification for the NCAA’s remaining NIL rules.

Ouch.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    And in your reminder that Duke Sucks, Christian Laettner calls for the NCAA to "wipe out" NIL, cut their legal throat:
    “They gotta take out the NIL,” Laettner said. “They gotta wipe that out. They gotta change the transfer portal. I know everyone’s saying the horse is out of the barn and you can’t take stuff back, but how can you establish any type of culture at a school when you’re getting new kids every year? That would mean every year was like my freshman year at Duke; and you’re so much better your third, your fourth year when you’re under one system, one program, one coach, one specifically defined culture… I don’t know how the coaches do it in today’s game, and that’s why some of the better ones are starting to quit.”

The NCAA cannot "wipe out" NIL or get rid of the transfer portal, Christian, because doing so would be fucking illegal, as in "the Supreme Court of the United States, for all its flaws, ruled unanimously that these things are a violation of antitrust law." As for the coaches that are quitting - good riddance. Many of the them were the sort who thrived on the system giving them all the power, and losing that is starting to winnow the field.

Staying at Duke may have worked for Laettner, but the ability to transfer turned Joe Burrow into a superstar and a number 1 draft pick. Classic case of an old fuck projecting his personal experience as universal for everyone.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I remember Laettner. He sucked.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited April 4
    I mean, they could get rid of the transfer portal if they just let the players move freely between schools without stepping in. But I doubt that is what they meant.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited April 5
    4 year(with some sort of red-shirt/injury 5th year language) fully guaranteed contracts. Boom, solved it. How do I become NCAA commissioner, seems like a pretty simple job.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    I don't understand why there should be a limit on employees only being able to be work for 4 years.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    That is an argument to completely remove athletics from the college domain.

• Options

I don't see how you get there, would you elaborate?

I would download a car.
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »

This ultimately ends with some of the sports signing players to contacts and operating as an actual professional league and just licensing the name from the schools.

NIL and the portal are absolutely better than what we had before but they bring their own problems and theres not really any ways to solve them while trying to keep the amateurism fig leaf

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »

This ultimately ends with some of the sports signing players to contacts and operating as an actual professional league and just licensing the name from the schools.

NIL and the portal are absolutely better than what we had before but they bring their own problems and theres not really any ways to solve them while trying to keep the amateurism fig leaf

The hope that is almost uniformly expressed in this thread is that the players do get contracts (Dartmouth). These are professional leagues. I don't see why institutions from around the country should be able to collude to prevent their labor from working for any one of them for more than four years. Is there another industry like this?

I would download a car.
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited April 5

The hope that is almost uniformly expressed in this thread is that the players do get contracts (Dartmouth). These are professional leagues. I don't see why institutions from around the country should be able to collude to prevent their labor from working for any one of them for more than four years. Is there another industry like this?

The CHL( junior leagues in Canada) have an age cap of 20 and a floor of 16(or 15 for players who get exceptional status exemptions).

I think the English football development leagues(where the academy prospects play each other) have something similar.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

We're maybe talking past each other here. The only reason they are/can limit the length of employment is the idea that players are ultimately students pursuing a standard 4 year degree.

Once you move players over to the employees that they actually are then there's zero reasons for the institutions to accept the liabilities that come from running a sports league. They'll license their names on it because that's the only reason these things make money but divesting themselves of the operations solves a bunch of issues for the schools

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

The money for some sports already did that, we’re just like 60 years behind schedule on realizing it

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

We're maybe talking past each other here. The only reason they are/can limit the length of employment is the idea that players are ultimately students pursuing a standard 4 year degree.

Once you move players over to the employees that they actually are then there's zero reasons for the institutions to accept the liabilities that come from running a sports league. They'll license their names on it because that's the only reason these things make money but divesting themselves of the operations solves a bunch of issues for the schools

The part I bolded is not true. When I was in college, I worked for the college at one of their libraries. I got paid for it (minimum wage, but it was paid) and when I graduated I was fired because part of the job requirements was that I was a student at the school, which I no longer met. All getting players paid is doing is putting them on the same level as all of the other student employees.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    The Heisman Trust decided to extend condolences to Simpson's family, which may wind up being a bad move on their part, as people are asking the relevant question of why he was allowed to keep his Heisman, but Reggie Bush was forced to surrender his? Because with all the things that have come out, that juxtaposition is becoming less and less justifiable.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Crab legs heist
    Truly the most heinous of Heisman crimes

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    The NCAA - thinskinned as ever:
    The NCAA threatened to suspend former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh last fall if his attorney did not halt his satirical social media comments of the association's ongoing investigation of the Wolverines football program.

In a "letter of admonition" to attorney Thomas Mars obtained by CBS Sports, current NCAA Committee on Infractions chair Dave Roberts wrote in October 2023 that if Mars didn't halt his posts criticizing the NCAA's investigative process "the COI will consider appropriate penalties, including immediate suspension of your client."

Roberts cited NCAA bylaw 19.4.6-(i) which gives the COI authority to " … sanction parties and/or their representative(s) for behaviors that inhibit the committee's ability to effectively manage the docket, ensure a professional and civil decorum in all proceedings or otherwise efficiently solve infractions cases."

The letter ends with seemingly a final warning from Roberts that read, "There will not be any further admonitions …"

No wonder the Chargers were the more attractive option.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    The funny thing is that it's a very stupid threat. By sending that letter the Infractions committee could have been lambasted in the national media after any penalties to Harbaugh or Michigan as being motivated by a "twitter feud". Both the NCAA lawyers and PR department would be tearing their hair out at the potential consequences.

Just little men with big egos all over the NCAA

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited April 17
    The NCAA handed down their penalty for the COVID recruiting “investigation” at the center of that letter yesterday

I’m guessing it was leaked in response so yeah

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Virginia passes an NIL protection law that explicitly allows schools to pay players:
    Schools in Virginia will be able to directly pay athletes via name, image and likeness deals thanks to a state law signed Thursday morning, marking another significant step in the professionalization of college sports.

The new law, which is scheduled to take effect July 1, is the first in any state to make it illegal for the NCAA to punish a school for compensating athletes for their NIL rights. Current NCAA rules prohibit schools from signing NIL deals with their own players. The law could either give Virginia schools a significant recruiting advantage or provide a catalyst for similar changes elsewhere.

"If this law gets us closer to a federal or a national solution for college athletics then it will be more than worthwhile," University of Virginia athletic director Carla Williams said. "Until then, we have an obligation to ensure we maintain an elite athletics program at UVA."

More and more, the ground is shifting.

• Options
    edited April 24
    The Heisman Trust concedes to reality, reinstates Reggie Bush:
    Reggie Bush is getting his 2005 Heisman Trophy back, as the Heisman Trust announced Wednesday the formal "reinstatement" of the trophy to Bush amid what it calls "enormous changes in the college football landscape."

The Heisman Trust's decision comes after Bush forfeited his Heisman Trophy in 2010 in the wake of significant NCAA sanctions for USC, which included Bush receiving improper benefits during a Trojans career that spanned from 2003 to 2005.

As part of the decision Wednesday, the Heisman Trust is returning the Heisman Trophy to Bush and a replica to USC. Bush will again be invited to all future Heisman Trophy ceremonies, beginning in the 2024 season.

Simpson's death was the last straw - as a lot of people pointed out, it was laughable that Simpson was never given the boot for his actions while Bush had his revoked over rules the NCAA has since admitted were illegal, and made their intransience no longer sustainable.

This will also put added pressure on the NCAA to admit to reality and reinstate those records given all the gooseshit that went down.

Edit: Also, "improper benefits"? Fuck you, ESPN - the whole point is that the benefits weren't improper, because those rules were outright illegal.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options