Options

Who likes [books]? I like books! Let's read!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    there should maybe be a Dark Tower thread cause I'm probably gonna jabber on about this thing for a good long while, and the movie's coming up

but I shouldn't make it because I've read one book

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I was kinda ambivalent about Alan Moore and then I read Neonomicon and then I thought whelp, I guess I'm done reading Alan Moore forever.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    My brother got me a copy of Alan Moore's Lovecraft inspired comic Providence.

So far there are journal entries, references to the King in Yellow, a handsome gay protagonist, a handsome possibly gay Irish police detective and a scary glowing skull-headed naked lady screaming HOO HOO HOOHOOHOO

I remember some Alan Moore-penned Lovecraft-styled thing making me really, super angry but I can't remember what it was called. Maybe it was Providence. I can't remember, surely he didn't write that many

Does Providence have a lot of super racist white people who love Lovecraft's work way too unreservedly

Edit:
    Peen wrote: »
    I was kinda ambivalent about Alan Moore and then I read Neonomicon and then I thought whelp, I guess I'm done reading Alan Moore forever.

IT WAS NEONOMICON

God damn I hated Neonomicon

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Neonomicon is megagarbage, yeah

Overall the shine has come off the Alan Moore apple in a big way for me, and I often find myself questioning if I ever really actually liked any of his stuff, or if I just recognized that it was Good and Important because I had been told that it was Good and Important

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    yeah I always think of Lovecraft as more ...conceptually interesting, than an actually compelling writer. The best Lovecraft books are always lovecraft homages by better authors.

The ones who laundered out the racism, for example.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Shoot I gotta get me a library card.

I can apparently rent audibooks digitally from my library and they have a full cast Dune for rent.

The majority of libraries have digital audiobooks these days! Even the smaller libraries tend to be part of digital consortia that can build up more impressive collections than some pretty large library systems. You can usually download them over wifi straight to your phone, or listen to them in your browser on your computer.

Visit your local library today!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Holy shit I didn't know libraries did that.

Mine has the partly cloudy patriot the only Sarah Vowell book I haven't gotten yet. Imma start using this dang library card I guess!

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Libraries are well and truly great

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Libraries are well and truly great

There is a thing for local library funding up on the ballot this year.

I'm definitely voting to give them more funding.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Every time I go to my library I find some new thing you can borrow or use there. They have a professional grade die cutter that you can use to make some really neat stuff with. I've been asking them to get a 3D printer; they don't think there's enough demand for it but I haven't given up.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Yes! My eight years of building this account so I can astroturf for Big Library are finally paying off!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I did it! I made it through the heroin addict part of IJ!

I don't know what any of it meant! Or what any of the slang meant!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

You'll learn.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

You'll learn.

or you'll erase your map trying

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    seriously, what does slope mean, and what does cheese mean

actually, don't tell me, I want to see if I can suss it out for myself

(this way lies madness, I know, but I have to try)

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Yeah, Lovecraft absolutely is not for everyone. If you want to keep trying, my recommended stories would be as follows:

The Rats in the Walls
    The Shadow Over Innsmouth
    Pickman's Model
    The Hound
    Herbert West: Re-Animator (note: this is the schlockiest pulp bullshit, but that's why I love it)

Okay, so I've started reading these in order

The Rats in the Walls was pretty good! It genuinely kind of got me!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    People are not kidding when they say Eddie Dean is tailor-made for Aaron Paul, huh

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Yeah, Lovecraft absolutely is not for everyone. If you want to keep trying, my recommended stories would be as follows:

The Rats in the Walls
    Pickman's Model
    The Hound
    Herbert West: Re-Animator (note: this is the schlockiest pulp bullshit, but that's why I love it)

Yeah, it's definitely my favorite

Of course, it's kind of off the charts on the ol' racism meter, but that's mostly just that one unfortunately named cat

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    seriously, what does slope mean, and what does cheese mean

actually, don't tell me, I want to see if I can suss it out for myself

(this way lies madness, I know, but I have to try)

Translations
    "slope" refers to Asian-Americans

"Eating cheese" aka "being a rat" aka snitching

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    People are not kidding when they say Eddie Dean is tailor-made for Aaron Paul, huh

I always pictured Kevin Corrigan.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

yeah it's the role he was meant to play

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Yes! My eight years of building this account so I can astroturf for Big Library are finally paying off!

You can come and astroturf my library immediately, getting them to cut the grass around here is kind of a pain.

Also everyone go to your library immediately, it's better than you realize!

• Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Nemesis Games is the best Expanse book by a country mile, if only for the sheer audacity of what happens halfway through.

maybe Abbadon's Gate comes close but wow, Nemesis Games was the peak of their writing and plotting so far, IMO

Dimosar on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

The Rats in the Walls
    Pickman's Model
    The Hound

Of course, it's kind of off the charts on the ol' racism meter, but that's mostly just that one unfortunately named cat

Yeah the cat name felt like a bad joke about how racist Lovecraft was

As for the story, I think I got it?
    The Rats never existed, it was just the narrator losing his mind because the house was built on cursed ground, or something?

• Options

The Rats in the Walls
    Pickman's Model
    The Hound

Yeah the cat name felt like a bad joke about how racist Lovecraft was

As for the story, I think I got it?
    The Rats never existed, it was just the narrator losing his mind because the house was built on cursed ground, or something?

Essentially, yeah.
    The curse is more the fact that the de la Poer's were somewhere between very bad people and cultists who raised humans as sacrificial cattle. How much of that is actually true is arguable, but there are mentions of several mythos figures in the story, most significantly Nyarlathotep at the end.

It plays into a bunch of significant Lovecraft themes about blood purity and bloodlines. Delapore has impure blood, because of the family he comes from. You'll see some similar ideas in The Shadow Over Innsmouth, writ a bit more clearly. Obviously there's the hugely racist component to blood purity, and it was clearly something that troubled Lovecraft - the idea that his ancestors could be the sort of people who affect who he is.

If you wanted to take an extremely generous reading of it, you could actually argue that this is one of his least racist works, as the blood purity issue that plagues Delapore is cultists who were raising human beings for slaughter, or, in essence, slavers. At that point the name of the cat becomes more of an indication that maybe not everything is doing so hot with Delapore's racial stance from the beginning, especially as he doesn't see any issue with the cat name. But there's too much other crazy fucking racist Lovecraft stuff for that to actually be a valid interpretation - it's just a kind of crazy idea that gets thrown around.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    *Runs into thread*

Huff huff. Did someone say libraries?!?!?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    *Runs into thread*

No

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    *Runs into thread*

No

Oh... Okay...

https://youtu.be/oabcM9SOF-E

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    What's a libraries?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    *Runs into thread*

My library uses something called overdrive to let folks borrow digital stuff.

It seems cool.

I gotta figure it out though.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    It's dope but not intuitive. I am its king, PM me if you have any questions (and don't want to ask the many qualified professionals at your local library who could also help you).

Peen on
  • Options
    I have been meaning to visit the library soon anyway!

Also librarian is a really cool job title btw

• Options
    Yeah frickin @Librarian had it when I joined or that'd probably be my name on here.

• Options
    Like I used to be the actual Overdrive person at the public library and helped hundreds of people use it. Feel free to ask me as well.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Peen and Tim are going to have a battle to the death.

• Options
    There is room for multiple rad librarians in this thread/world.

Just all the rad librarians.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    There is room for multiple rad librarians in this thread/world.

Just all the rad librarians.

Sorry, but much like in the Highlander, there can be only one

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Guys guys it's fine, he's a school librarian, I'm a public librarian, totally different things.

Now it if he were a public librarian then we would actually have to meet and touch weens and see who disappeared in a cloud of fire and smoke, that is true, but this isn't one of those times.

• Options
    It is super awkward because most branch libraries have two or three actual librarians.

• Options
    supersporksuperspork Registered User regular
    It depends on the size of the library. I work for a pretty small to midsize system and one of our branches has no actual librarian. Just a branch manager. Heck at our HQ branch the Director and I (Technology Librarian aka glorified IT guy who would love to get back to working with the collection and the public again) are the only certified Librarians.

Also I've worked with Overdrive a good bit too and would be glad to help if anyone needs.

And before you ask its jsut coincidince that there are 2 librarians on here with spork in their name. :biggrin:

This discussion has been closed.