Options

Who likes [books]? I like books! Let's read!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    when I read the books I pictured Viggo Mortensen

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I'm reading some Lovecraft for the season

It's...bad?

I read Mountains of Madness a couple of years ago and loved it

This year I've read Call of Cthulhu and The Colour Out of Space

Call of Cthulhu was okay besides the racism. It would have had more impact if Cthulhu wasn't just Another Monster in the modern day

And Colour Out of Space assumed I was scared of things that are different more than the other two, which just didn't work for me

Am I just missing the really good stuff?

The ironic thing about Lovecraft is that his best stories tend to either also be his most racist or else have no horror elements at all

It's been a long, long time since I read it but I think the best story he ever wrote is still Celephais

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm reading some Lovecraft for the season

It's...bad?

I read Mountains of Madness a couple of years ago and loved it

This year I've read Call of Cthulhu and The Colour Out of Space

Call of Cthulhu was okay besides the racism. It would have had more impact if Cthulhu wasn't just Another Monster in the modern day

And Colour Out of Space assumed I was scared of things that are different more than the other two, which just didn't work for me

Am I just missing the really good stuff?

lovecraft is important more for the stuff that he inspired others to create than for what he made himself

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yeah I always think of Lovecraft as more ...conceptually interesting, than an actually compelling writer. The best Lovecraft books are always lovecraft homages by better authors.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Also this is a strong visualization

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I always kind of pictured Roland as Eastwood-like...he doesn't have Clint's face but they could be cousins.

The Man in Black has a Brad Dourif vibe.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Viggo Mortensen is one of the few people besides Elba who could have made me interested in seeing the series.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    yeah I always think of Lovecraft as more ...conceptually interesting, than an actually compelling writer. The best Lovecraft books are always lovecraft homages by better authors.

Do you have any in mind? I'm in the same boat as far as thinking it's conceptually interesting.

• Options
    Lovecraft's big thing is that he would gesture at some really cool ideas, so if you tend to sit and think about that sort of idea for a while he can resonate you more than he would based on the quality of his writing

When I was a teenager, engaging with those ideas brought me a lot of pleasure, but even then I was like "Geez this is super racist" and I thought he was too preoccupied with the upending of the natural order of things as a metaphor for upper-class Anglo folk losing their places of privilege

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I have made all the necessary preparations and warned all my friends that I am going to be just obnoxious about Dark Tower probably until the movie comes out

My mom is a lifelong King diehard, so she already has all the books and has been lending them to me, so I've just got a steady flow of them

If I already enjoyed the Gunslinger, apparently I am in for a treat when it becomes the actual Dark Tower series

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular

Do you have any in mind? I'm in the same boat as far as thinking it's conceptually interesting.

Charles Stross and The Laundry Files are good.

Here is a short story from Neil Gaiman in a Sherlock Holmes/Lovecraft mashup

http://www.neilgaiman.com/mediafiles/exclusive/shortstories/emerald.pdf

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I always liked Lovecraft for the writing

But if you want a pulp author whose writing lives up to the impact of his stories on genre fiction, Robert E Howard. His action scenes sizzle off the page and he evokes his characters and settings with rough but very compelling imagery.

Solar on
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I just finished read the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey. I really enjoyed the setting and was surprised that the Syfy show only covers about half of the first book.
    But I mean if you tell me there is a noir detective story set on a space station I am totally picking up what you are putting down.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I always liked Lovecraft for the writing

But if you want a pulp author whose writing lives up to the impact of his stories on genre fiction, Robert E Howard. His action scenes sizzle off the page and he evokes his characters and settings with rough but very compelling imagery.

Couldn't agree more. I always assumed the Conan stories would just be the schlockiest bottom of the barrel garbage that happened to have a compelling character that took a life of his own, but I finally sat and read one and immediately procured and read everything else of his as well.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Lovecraft absolutely is not for everyone. If you want to keep trying, my recommended stories would be as follows:

The Rats in the Walls
    The Shadow Over Innsmouth
    Pickman's Model
    The Hound
    Herbert West: Re-Animator (note: this is the schlockiest pulp bullshit, but that's why I love it)

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    I just finished read the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey. I really enjoyed the setting and was surprised that the Syfy show only covers about half of the first book.
    But I mean if you tell me there is a noir detective story set on a space station I am totally picking up what you are putting down.

From what I understand it covers some stuff a little differently from the books. The UN undersecretary appeared in the show in season one, but doesn't show up until book two. Bobbie will be showing up a little early compared to the books, too (not too different if she only ends up showing at the very end of S2 though)

Haven't actually seen it myself yet though.

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Expanse is pretty great, im waiting impatiently on sixth book, Babylon Ashes.

buuuut... is there anyone who thinks that Nemesis Games isn't as great as most reviewers think it is?

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Yeah I agree. I think I feel that way because it doesn't really wrap much up.
    hurray the whole gang is back together, okay so what is next? Are we gonna deal with that splinter group yet?

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular

I hadn't seen that short story before and it is a delight, thanks!

• Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Expanse is pretty great, im waiting impatiently on sixth book, Babylon Ashes.

buuuut... is there anyone who thinks that Nemesis Games isn't as great as most reviewers think it is?

I have not read/watched anything related to the Expanse, but that title makes me hopeful for Space Rastafarians, which have been
    woefully absent since Neuromancer. Please tell me there are Space Rastafarians.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »

It's in the short story book Shadows Over Baker Street, which I really liked, but it seems to not be a big hit amongst most people.

I mean, some of it is shitty, but I still dig the premise enough to cut it some slack.

• Options
    Neil Gaiman has done a few Lovecraft-esque or lovecraft parody stories, they're always good.

It's in the short story book Shadows Over Baker Street, which I really liked, but it seems to not be a big hit amongst most people.

I mean, some of it is shitty, but I still dig the premise enough to cut it some slack.

I don't remember any story in this except a Study in Emerald, but I do remember liking it overall.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hey Pooro, if uh, you ever get the urge for some reason, don't read any of Jeremy Robert Johnson's short stories

Just trust me on this one, alright

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Maybe tomorrow is the day I start reading The Dark Tower series

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Hey Pooro, if uh, you ever get the urge for some reason, don't read any of Jeremy Robert Johnson's short stories

Yeah? I've read Angel Dust Apocalypse and Extinction Journals, and I don't recall hating 'em. It's been many years, though.

• Options
    Neil Gaiman has done a few Lovecraft-esque or lovecraft parody stories, they're always good.

I don't remember any story in this except a Study in Emerald, but I do remember liking it overall.

That's pretty much how I am, except I'll break it out every couple of years and give it a read and promptly forget it!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Do it so I'm not the only one

I start the second one tomorrow

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Yeah? I've read Angel Dust Apocalypse and Extinction Journals, and I don't recall hating 'em. It's been many years, though.

There are a couple of rough Native American stories in We Live Inside You

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Do it so I'm not the only one

I start the second one tomorrow

I'm working my way through Wolves of Calla now.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    so, I've finally hit the first part of Infinite Jest that I find to be truly irritating

this bit from the perspective of the heroin addict is just a pain to read.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    so, I've finally hit the first part of Infinite Jest that I find to be truly irritating

this bit from the perspective of the heroin addict is just a pain to read.

this is the part where people tap out on

including me, my first attempt

I believe in you

• Options
    I like that part!

• Options

Aw, Jeremy, why

He even did a project with Stephen, I think!

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    your faith will not go unrewarded

I will persevere!

• Options

Aw, Jeremy, why

I mean, there definitely a part of the same community, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt with the first one partially because of that,, and maybe you'd get a different read, but

Two different story spoilers
    The first one is centered around a man who is possessed by a Native American woman who was murdered by being pushed off a waterfall, so he lures young women up there and kills them that way.

The main character is a woman whose kid brother was killed by this dude in this way, and his ghost helps him out. The ancient Indian curse thing is some bullshit, but like I said, benefit of the doubt - he mentions specific tribes and seems to have actually done some legwork.
    The second involves a dude with a mohawk getting attacked by a Indigenous dude with a boxcutter when he stops to go to the bathroom on the reservation land. The injury proceeds to put him into some sort of forced Ghost Dance thing after he ingested mushrooms at Burning Man, and when the hallucination won't go away, he goes back to the reservation to pick a fight, a fight which culminates in him getting scalped.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Yeah, Lovecraft absolutely is not for everyone. If you want to keep trying, my recommended stories would be as follows:

The Rats in the Walls
    The Shadow Over Innsmouth
    Pickman's Model
    The Hound
    Herbert West: Re-Animator (note: this is the schlockiest pulp bullshit, but that's why I love it)

I think The Shadow Over Innsmouth is the best straight horror story Lovecraft wrote. It's just a man who goes to a creepy small town and scariness ensues.

• Options

Aw, Jeremy, why

I mean, there definitely a part of the same community, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt with the first one partially because of that,, and maybe you'd get a different read, but

Two different story spoilers
    The first one is centered around a man who is possessed by a Native American woman who was murdered by being pushed off a waterfall, so he lures young women up there and kills them that way.

The main character is a woman whose kid brother was killed by this dude in this way, and his ghost helps him out. The ancient Indian curse thing is some bullshit, but like I said, benefit of the doubt - he mentions specific tribes and seems to have actually done some legwork.
    The second involves a dude with a mohawk getting attacked by a Indigenous dude with a boxcutter when he stops to go to the bathroom on the reservation land. The injury proceeds to put him into some sort of forced Ghost Dance thing after he ingested mushrooms at Burning Man, and when the hallucination won't go away, he goes back to the reservation to pick a fight, a fight which culminates in him getting scalped.

Yowser McBowser

Sheesh, Jeremy.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    My brother got me a copy of Alan Moore's Lovecraft inspired comic Providence.

So far there are journal entries, references to the King in Yellow, a handsome gay protagonist, a handsome possibly gay Irish police detective and a scary glowing skull-headed naked lady screaming HOO HOO HOOHOOHOO

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Shoot I gotta get me a library card.

I can apparently rent audibooks digitally from my library and they have a full cast Dune for rent.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    So you're saying it's an Alan Moore thing

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
This discussion has been closed.