As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Last Man On Earth: The show about which whom we should talk [SPOILERS, so to speak]

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    So Phil definitely knows his brother is still floating in space completely alone.

That's gotta be depressing.

Damn, I missed that part. Or was that alluding to the first time he acknowledged his brother to Carol?

It's alluded in the pilot, where we learn that the virus was a drawn out process (and not "you wake up one day and everyone is dead").

Also, Phil's brother mentions the he know's about the virus, meaning that he was in contact with NASA as it was happening.

• Options
    BTW, I really hope they didn't waste any of the leftover bacon fat.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Man that episode made me crave some bacon.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Boo, it looks like hulu stopped streaming free-with-ads for the lastest episode.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    I'm just catching up on this season on Hulu

Carol's Oklahoma shirt at the beginning of the second episode is grade-A super great wonderful

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    This episode is promising. New Phil becomes more sensible and everyone else seems resigned to the death of humanity in the most inane way possible.

Whoops, spoke too soon.

Mr Khan on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Carol's baby portrait was nightmare fuel.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Carol's baby portrait was nightmare fuel.

"I want to exist!"

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Todd and Tandy's friendship is the best.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Todd and Tandy's friendship is the best.

Yeah it was pretty enjoyable in this episode. I guess it really wasn't just about the bacon.

This episode felt specifically design to address complaints about last season.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    The scenes where Phil is conveying New Phil back to the house embody the appeal of this show in a nutshell.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    The scenes where Phil is conveying New Phil back to the house embody the appeal of this show in a nutshell.

Particularly when he elects to shoot the fin/whatever off the surfboard, and then moves his line of fire out of the way of New Phil's leg. Guns solve everything after the apocalypse!

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Oh hey there Phil's penis.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    This season has retroactively made the first one better. Tandy's arc has been perfectly done this season.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    His name is Tandy.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I wasn't sure which way that was going to go - I thought someone else from the group might see Tandy pointing a gun at New Phil (passed out on the beach) and mistakenly think he'd killed him, and Tandy would end up back on the shit list.

And I wish I could go shopping for chips in a pick-up truck.

• Options
    It is pretty funny to see them pissing away gasoline when the last episode literally featured them being reminded that, yes, gasoline does not have an infinite shelf life.

At least he got a truck load of chips, though you really have to think that was practically an afterthought, and that he was pissing that fuel away just to save himself the trouble of walking in the aisles.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Of course they'd waste gas. Why conserve something you cannot possibly exhaust before it expires?

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Of course they'd waste gas. Why conserve something you cannot possibly exhaust before it expires?

I thought the point was to use the gas to find more gas elsewhere. As oppose to, well, getting chips.

(I'm assuming that they aren't literally dealing with the newest possible fuel reserves, but again, I don't remember the exact time frames involved, if the show even gave them.)

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    According to the show, I think it was a few years. According to the resources I checked out because I was curious, it varies, but usually looks like closer to a a few months before it starts losing effectiveness. Not sure when it would just completely stop working.

Either way, no sense conserving.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

I thought the point was to use the gas to find more gas elsewhere. As oppose to, well, getting chips.

(I'm assuming that they aren't literally dealing with the newest possible fuel reserves, but again, I don't remember the exact time frames involved, if the show even gave them.)

In doubt there's much usable fuel left. Sure, maybe you can find the one gas station that had the freshest possible fuel at the end...but that probably only buys you a year. Phil wasn't wrong, they need to move past the need for gasoline because every last drop has an expiration date, and one coming sooner rather than later.

• Options
    They need to find an electric car.

Or a biodiesel car.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I mean they could convert the cars they have for biodeisel right? Theres tons of fry oil laying around

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I mean they could convert the cars they have for biodeisel right? Theres tons of fry oil laying around

Cooking oil definitely has a shelf life when it comes to consumption. No idea how that'd effect whether or not you could use it for biodeisel though. I mean, at some point the consistency has to change too, which might be a problem.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Damn, Melissa, you were so cold this episode.

• Options
    So much beef

• Options
    They should have stored some of it in the working freezer Todd found.

Really, they should have people out there using up what diesel fuel they have left and scouring the country for cattle. Get enough to make a sustainable population and then take over a ranch upstate in Cali (like in the Salinas valley or something).

• Options
    I was kind of surprised they didn't...
    ...keep the bull on hand to try and breed with the cow further. I mean, eh, having a lot of beef store up is a good idea, sure. Maybe that would be too labor intensive? Maybe all the tranq darts killed it anyway?

Also, every time I stare at the ISS, I don't see a Soyuz return vehicle docked to it. So that's at least one less avenue (also in real life, the only one) of escape for Phil's poor brother. :(

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    ...keep the bull on hand to try and breed with the cow further. I mean, eh, having a lot of beef store up is a good idea, sure. Maybe that would be too labor intensive? Maybe all the tranq darts killed it anyway?

Also, every time I stare at the ISS, I don't see a Soyuz return vehicle docked to it. So that's at least one less avenue (also in real life, the only one) of escape for Phil's poor brother. :(

They accidentally killed it. Keeping it wasn't an option.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

I'm really not a fan of the ISS aspects of this show. It puts it over the threshold of bleakness I can stand in a comedy. Those scenes are so depressing. Especially when
    he thought he had found somebody on the radio, but it was him looping back over and over.
    :bigfrown:

Really, they should have people out there using up what diesel fuel they have left and scouring the country for cattle. Get enough to make a sustainable population and then take over a ranch upstate in Cali (like in the Salinas valley or something).

But they are like the worst group of people who could have found each other to create something sustainable for the future. Every one is a major shithead in their own special way, and nobody is respected enough by everybody in the group to take the leader role and steer things in the right direction.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I find the ISS scenes compelling because they mirror Phil's own previous isolation, provide a nice counterpoint to the comparative happiness down below, and because it will make it that much more empathetic when he inevitably gets to Earth.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I find the ISS scenes compelling because they mirror Phil's own previous isolation, provide a nice counterpoint to the comparative happiness down below, and because it will make it that much more empathetic when he inevitably gets to Earth.

Ya, I suppose that is very likely and should take the edge off those scenes for me. But the thought of being trapped in space thinking that you are the only human left alive is just so chilling to me.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

I'm really not a fan of the ISS aspects of this show. It puts it over the threshold of bleakness I can stand in a comedy. Those scenes are so depressing. Especially when
    he thought he had found somebody on the radio, but it was him looping back over and over.
    :bigfrown:

But they are like the worst group of people who could have found each other to create something sustainable for the future. Every one is a major shithead in their own special way, and nobody is respected enough by everybody in the group to take the leader role and steer things in the right direction.
    I think Military-Phil was the closest, but him finally snapping in S2 knocked him out of that role.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

If he ever does get back to Earth, it's going to end the same way as Will Farrell.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Tandy seems downright relatable when you realize
    his personality is probably a consequence of his brother being a god damn astronaut on the ISS.

We've come full circle that everyone is the worst for different reasons now, which I find is good. the acceptance of carol and tandy's personalities and sometimes positive response to their sillyness is a welcome change.

edit: I thought the reaction to Tandy's gift by all was meh. Lets not act like you party every day and act like you can't just go get another one.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tandy seems downright relatable when you realize
    his personality is probably a consequence of his brother being a god damn astronaut on the ISS.

We've come full circle that everyone is the worst for different reasons now, which I find is good. the acceptance of carol and tandy's personalities and sometimes positive response to their sillyness is a welcome change.

edit: I thought the reaction to Tandy's gift by all was meh. Lets not act like you party every day and act like you can't just go get another one.

That could be the point, that they've all grown bored with ostentatious displays of excess such that Phil blowing up a yacht elicits no reaction.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I think it shows their expectation when it comes to his actions that it should be for them while in self service. Which Tandy kind of deserves but not really anymore since everyone has slid into being jerks(except erica I guess?). This was a gift purely for him from him(he would have done this, alone), but he still wanted to share it and his love of explosions. The gift wasn't even about bragging, except for whose boat it was. I don't think he shared it to get applause, it was innocently so people would go "whoa, cool explosion".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Ultrasound machine/setup was a way better present than the diamond, Tandy's going to regret being a jerk about that.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I kind of think the stuff with Phil at the end is a setup. Like, he's not faking, but it was induced, maybe? Him taking Tandy out for a drink, except then doing nothing and then WHAM is kind of suspect in my mind.

sig.gif