As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everything [Battlefield] - Rumor: BF5 Set In (Alternate Reality?) World War I

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Dragon Valley is ok. The capture points themselves are fun, but jesus if you don't have a vehicle its a big ass map.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    It's great because it is big.

Modern maps are too tiny on average. Too often they're little shoeboxes where an enemy is within grenade range at all times.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm really enjoying Dragon Valley, at least from the bit of it I've played. BF3 and 4 are a lot more frantic than BF2 because you can spawn on any squad member and because the maps are pretty meat grinder-y. Dragon Valley spreads things out and lets you take things at a more languid pace. Approaching from different angles or attacking different points feels like a big decision to make, now, rather than just "I'll sprint for 10 seconds in this direction rather than that direction," which is what approaching from different angles or attacking different points is in basically any other BF4 map.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I was going to hop in the other day, but then the game kept saying "Expansion pack not installed" and I remembered that I needed to manually add it to my windows registry for it to work.

Still baffled that 2 years later, that bug still exists.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Do you guys use a specific ts3 on pc anymore? i went ahead and patched up as i was having so much fun on ps4 but those guys only play so often.

i like dragon valley.... its like a weirdly segregated map. outsides are vehicle war zones. The island is an infantry paradise with lots of fun terrain. then the long part furthest from the sea is a 3 point mix of vehicles with infantry.

its fun.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I was going to hop in the other day, but then the game kept saying "Expansion pack not installed" and I remembered that I needed to manually add it to my windows registry for it to work.

Still baffled that 2 years later, that bug still exists.

Manually added into the registry? Well I do know that installing the ex packs can be janky. I've found that using the Origin client is usually the most unreliable way to purchase the DLC. But if you go through the Origin store through a web browser then it works every time.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I have Premium, and the game downloads the expansions, but when I try to join a server, it just says "You need to install X expansion pack to join this server".

It's an error that affects quite a few people, where the game never writes what xpacks you own into the registry. Basically you create a key that is "Xpack1 - Installed = True"

• Options
    heckelsheckels Registered User regular
    My friend was having that problem after he downloaded everything...ill have him try the "Xpack1 - Installed = True"...

heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Do you guys use a specific ts3 on pc anymore? i went ahead and patched up as i was having so much fun on ps4 but those guys only play so often.

i like dragon valley.... its like a weirdly segregated map. outsides are vehicle war zones. The island is an infantry paradise with lots of fun terrain. then the long part furthest from the sea is a 3 point mix of vehicles with infantry.

its fun.

Pa is usually on the pa ts3. Tibbly and I will occasionally be on another private comm, but I'll move if others are around.

253J736.png
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Depends on who's on but I'm either in the ESF TS, OP ts, or FBZ ts.

Also Dragon Valley is only a 24/7 lav bounce map.

• Options
    Ein just got you friend invite. We will be on alot more after travelling on the ps4

Any other ps4 duders hit me up! see below

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Next DLC weapons revealed and one map (currently live on the CTE) for Hardline being displayed.

Westie video:
    Jackfrags video:
    EDIT - clarified which Battlefield game just in case people forgot that Hardline is actually still a thing.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Next DLC weapons revealed and one map (currently live on the CTE) for Hardline being displayed.

Westie video:
    Jackfrags video:
    EDIT - clarified which Battlefield game just in case people forgot that Hardline is actually still a thing.

Hardline is still a thing?

• Options
    I'll be honest: I prefer playing Hardline over BF4 most days I want to play a man-shooty game.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Gonna rock a sword, night vision, smoke grenades, throwing knife and harpoon gun exclusively on night maps.

Beverly Hills Ninja Cop.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I'll spare the large gif and just link it.

https://gfycat.com/RevolvingGratefulBasenji

iRevert on
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »

I can't remember if I got video of that one or not. Going to have to go back and see.

253J736.png
  • Options
    WolveSight wrote: »
    iRevert wrote: »

I can't remember if I got video of that one or not. Going to have to go back and see.

I've got the video of it but its basically just that with an added "Oh jesus thatssaram" audio.

Now this on the other hand...
    https://gfycat.com/BriskGrandGyrfalcon

Do not have the video from that round anymore.

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Jeez. Take a two month tropical island vacation, come back and find that Hardline has ballooned content-wise to Battlefield 4-like proportions. Between Battlefield 4 & Hardline & Battlefront, I'm soon forced to upgrade my PS4's HDD, just to keep these 3 games installed alongside whatever else I play.

Oh, Hardline too is getting polished to a similar sheen as BF4, and boy oh boy do I enjoy it these days. Really a shame that some audiences didn't latch on to it. At this point, it's out of sheer principle I imagine, because I can't quite find the fault in the game.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    Jeez. Take a two month tropical island vacation, come back and find that Hardline has balooned content-wise to Battlefield 4-like proportions. Between Battlefield 4 & Hardline & Battlefront, I'm soon forced to upgrade my PS4's HDD, just to keep these 3 games installed alongside whatever else I play.

Oh, Hardline too is getting polished to a similar sheen as BF4, and boy oh boy do I enjoy it these days. Really a shame that some audiences didn't latch on to it. At this point, it's out of sheer principle I imagine, because I can't quite find the fault in the game.

Yeah, at this point, the holdouts against Hardline are basically the rank-and-file "It's overpriced dee ell see!". Which, given that the PC version is usually on sale for $10, is a tough contention point to hold on to.

Speaking of the PC version...it sounds like Visceral is going to be making special PC-only tweaks to the game. Apparently they're going to be testing out changes on the CTE to alter the weapon damage model to try to lengthen overall TTK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYge6jxC6Rc

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    My opposition to Hardline is that I like my current Battlefield and want to keep it.

Actually, "opposition" might be too strong a word. It's just why I haven't purchased it.

• Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    Hardline is great. I'd even argue that it is better than BF4, but that would be unthinkable...

It is a lot snappier than 4, guns actually feel different from each other, maps are mostly better...

And it is great to play something else than modern war, it is so dull.

I really, really hope that BF5 will be set in the 80's, tops. Would prefer WW2 and different setting, like Winter War and Continuation War. Between Finland and Soviets.

And all that future stuff that's been lately (CoD etc...), BF2142 already did it and it is the best Scifi-FPS. I just loved that game. Northern Strike (wasn't the expack called something like that) was the first gamelike thing I bought that had a download code in the package, no DVD or anything. It was so weird.

BF post-BC2 has been in decline. BC2 had decent campaign and awesome Vietnam, but other than that it's not that great. Sadly, it is the BF most of the people started the series.

3 & 4, brothers and way too much unlockables. Too bad they went full CoD in that, and in many other things too.

Never been a fan of CoD, and there used to be a difference between these two series. Now the difference is really small. It was nice to have two mainstream MP-FPS-funnythingies, ppl could choose their preference.

Sorry about the rant, fever and internet are not the best combination.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    2143 when? I'm tired of easter eggs nodding to it. I want it to be a great old school game that throws back to the bf2 era types of huge maps and game play mechanics instead of the modern day forced action twitch fests in shoe boxes.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    My nevergonnahappen dream game is still Battlefield: Command & Conquer. Renegade had such a great multi-player dynamic and nothing's touched on it since.

C'mon, EA! Redeem your sins!

• Options
    2143 when? I'm tired of easter eggs nodding to it. I want it to be a great old school game that throws back to the bf2 era types of huge maps and game play mechanics instead of the modern day forced action twitch fests in shoe boxes.

This is exactly what I want to see for BF5's setting. Give me massive titans, battle walkers, gunships that look like Skynet-style Hunter-Killers, APCs with personnel drop-pods over anything from WW2. And a big "YES!" for adaptive map-size based on server capacity.

• Options
    Oh yes. Adaptive map size needs to be a thing again like it was in BF2. You can't play with 16 people on the 64 player version of the map because you'll just be running in circles around each other, and you can't play with 64 people on the 16 player version of the map because it will become bullet hell.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    My nevergonnahappen dream game is still Battlefield: Command & Conquer. Renegade had such a great multi-player dynamic and nothing's touched on it since.

I would play this

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »

I would play this

https://renegade-x.com/

• Options
    By the way, thought I'd just mention that consoles are getting high(er) tickrate servers (in this case, 45Hz servers). The caveat is that the enhanced tickrate is only being applied for small (32 players or fewer) maps.

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    I made some mancakes for everyone to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcekLQNgWGU

• Options
    edited February 2016
    BF3's Gran Bazaar is back as China Town in BF Hardline. Also - Dual Scorpions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tON2ruoYJ9Q

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    Yup! The Westie video I linked above mentions them.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I always thought Gran Bazaar would be better if all the rooftops in the mid section would be interlinked, kinda like The Block in Hardline, which I like a lot, but I guess since I already got that, I could definitely go for a reimagining of Gran Bazaar. Guess I should play some Hardline right now, before next week's Battlefront patch shuffles that back ontop of my multiplayer gaming habits - and then I should play a lot of that before Betrayal comes out. Hopefully it'll be a couple of weeks between that and the Outer Rim expansion for Battlefront. Also - I've only made time for two rounds of Dragon Valley in BF4. Jeez!

It's even harder right now, because I'm hopefully addicted to making the numbers go higher in Rogue Galaxy. Gaming's bounty is so rich, sometimes it can feel like a burden. Like going to an all-you-can-eat buffet, just to prove that you actually cannot eat all, and that's a real bummer somehow.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    Honestly Dragon Valley is kind of just ok. Its definitely a vehicle oriented map, but a lot of matches just feel like going in a circle on a tank from one point to the next until someone peters out.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I am really really REALLY hoping that this year's Battlefield is WWII.

I love WWII shooters. I miss WWII shooters. I desperately need to see a WWII shooter in Frostbite. I will pick up a new WWII Battlefield day freaking one.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Ceno wrote: »
    I am really really REALLY hoping that this year's Battlefield is WWII.

I love WWII shooters. I miss WWII shooters. I desperately need to see a WWII shooter in Frostbite. I will pick up a new WWII Battlefield day freaking one.

I dont get the ww2 lust lately. That would me a great simplification of gameplay due to the technological leap backwards. Spotting, guided missles, # of gun types, types of vehicles that sort of thing.

Id rather go forward in time then back.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Personally expecting WW2, but hoping for 2143.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Ww2 has a really diverse and huge amount of vehicles and weapons to draw from the large number of countries that participated. I would also like to see another from dice.

That or 2143.

Little burnt out on modern setting after the last 2

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    For me, if the next Battlefield game is not in a 2143 setting, I'm probably going to skip it (or hold off on it until it's on a heavily discounted sale...like, 50% or more). I went through the late-90s/early-00s and burned out on WW2 games, and I went through the late-00s, so I'm pretty burned out on modern setting (granted, I'm still playing some of those (and especially if they put a twist in the formula, like Hardline))...but the setting 2142 took place in (future, but not far-future with extra-fancy tech like jetpacks, laser rifles, and personal shields) hasn't been explored all that much, so it's still pretty fresh.