Options

Everything Dies, [Superhero Thread]

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dwarves.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Fantasy Dwarves like getting drunk, fighting, using hammers and often have beards and long hair

super Thor

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    It took me a while but I finally started my adaptations/re-imaginings of Marvel heroes into the Pathfinder system.

I started with Thor.

On a related note, I'm still not really a fan of Pathfinder, but last time I was back home my friends ran a one shot and I ended up playing a Lawful Good Shield Champion.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    It took me a while but I finally started my adaptations/re-imaginings of Marvel heroes into the Pathfinder system.

I started with Thor.

On a related note, I'm still not really a fan of Pathfinder, but last time I was back home my friends ran a one shot and I ended up playing a Lawful Good Shield Champion.

I really want to try out a Shield Champion!

• Options
    The rules for enchanting a shield as both a weapon and a shield are not incredibly clear, I'll say that much.

I think what we settled on was mechanically it was the shield spike that could be enchanted as a weapon.

• Options
    Also my brother ended up following my lead and playing an Archer

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Hugh Jackman is calling Wolverine quits after Apocalypse, according to his instagram.

http://i.imgur.com/Yxq4Mqs.png

one last wolverine handjob

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Meeqe wrote: »
    So after many years of wanting to get into comics and being a giant MCU fan, I bit the bullet and got myself a Marvel Unlimited account.

The Problem? I have no idea where to start in on all of it. I've read all of the Spider-Verse from a friend, and generally like most, if not all, of the MCU characters. Also... Doom. DOOOOOOOM. But there are SO MANY storylines out there, and I don't know what are good and what are skippable. What I am looking for are the must reads, the things that I could not even begin to call myself a Marvel fan without knowing about. I also loving reading other people's favorites, so I am totally open to pet favorite series and reads, just let me know why I should be reading them. I've lurked through this thread forever now, and seeing you guys' enthusiasm for the genre was a major factor in me diving in.

The Fraction Hawkeye series is recent and really good. Plus it's designed to be a ground floor kinda series, so that's also a plus.

For Fantastic Four, the original Lee Kirby run is a must, IF you don't mind the fact it's old and the female characters (mainly Sue) are often treated kind of shitty. Issue 51 is one of the best single issues ever. For a later FF run, Hickman's pretty good from what I've seen, and Simonson's stuff is balls-to-the-walls all the time. (Simonson's Thor? Also excellent.)

That help with the start?

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Thank for the links for far guys, that .doc is perfect. I read through the first handful of the Lee Kirby F4, its amazing and oldschool but the first time Reed tells Sue that its not her fault she failed, "You're just a female", I had a moment of rage but then I remembered that Kamala Khan exists and that it gets better.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Fantasy Dwarves are scum.

Edit: Except Varric.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Fantasy dwarves are probably ma favorite race

They're super fun to role play and often have fascinating societies

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    So after many years of wanting to get into comics and being a giant MCU fan, I bit the bullet and got myself a Marvel Unlimited account.

The Problem? I have no idea where to start in on all of it. I've read all of the Spider-Verse from a friend, and generally like most, if not all, of the MCU characters. Also... Doom. DOOOOOOOM. But there are SO MANY storylines out there, and I don't know what are good and what are skippable. What I am looking for are the must reads, the things that I could not even begin to call myself a Marvel fan without knowing about. I also loving reading other people's favorites, so I am totally open to pet favorite series and reads, just let me know why I should be reading them. I've lurked through this thread forever now, and seeing you guys' enthusiasm for the genre was a major factor in me diving in.

One of my favorite things to start people out with is Kurt Busiek's run on Avengers. Avengers (1998) #1-56 is a fantastic series that shows you the classic versions of the Avengers in some of their best stories with some of their most iconic villains. Busiek's Marvels is also a really good read, a scenic tour through the Marvel Universe from 1939 to 1973 as if it all happened in real time.

If you want to get into the Fantastic Four and Doctor Doom, definitely pick up Fantastic Four (1998) #60 and read forward from there. Mark Waid wrote #60-70 and #500-524 (comic book numbering, just roll with it), and it's a great run to start out with.

One more thing: If you want to get up to speed on why Thanos is such a big deal, make sure to read Thanos Quest and Infinity Gauntlet. It's a fantastic story arc that really holds up.

• Options
    Thank for the links for far guys, that .doc is perfect. I read through the first handful of the Lee Kirby F4, its amazing and oldschool but the first time Reed tells Sue that its not her fault she failed, "You're just a female", I had a moment of rage but then I remembered that Kamala Khan exists and that it gets better.

The evolution of the Marvel Universe's views on gender relations are really interesting. In the 60s you had a lot of that condescending male chauvinism that slowly improved a bit, like when they gave Sue offensive force fields in addition to her invisibility, or when Jean Grey was allowed to have both telekinesis and telepathy.

In the 70s you had some feminism start leaking in, with writers like Gerry Conway and Chris Claremont writing some well-intentioned feminist characters like the Black Widow and Ms. Marvel, who unfortunately still often came off like strange caricatures.

There was some pushback from other writers in the 80s, including the infamous story of Avengers #200, but on the other hand the 80s also saw the Wasp and Captain Marvel (Monica Rambeau) stepping up to lead the Avengers, which was definitely significant.

Then of course the 90s ruined everything for a while (although for a short period in the mid 90s Black Widow led the Avengers, which was pretty crazy).

In the 2000s stuff started getting a bit better again, though you still had stuff like the Scarlet Witch going Baby Crazy and people allowing David Finch to draw women.

It wasn't until 2012 with the launch of Captain Marvel and titles like Red She-Hulk, Journey into Mystery featuring Sif, and eventually the new Ms. Marvel that I think Marvel as a company really started to show that they cared about their female characters and female readership.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    There wasn't really anything new at the Marvel Black Vortex/Secret Wars panel, mostly Q&A and stuff we already knew about. Remender talked a bit more about the Hydra book, and how it was 616 Ian Rogers in a world where Hydra has been in control all along. They didn't "win", they've been shaping society from the start, and have always been there. He did mention that we'd be seeing alternate versions of other Marvel characters, as they would be if they grew up in this Hydra-guided society.

Also Kelly Sue very cautiously mentioned that (Secret Wars spoiler)
    there are no stars on Battleworld, and part of Carol's book is her and the Corps investigating why there are no stars, what is above the clouds, and someone trying to keep them from investigating this.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Also there was a dude asking questions that was basically what it would be like if certain parts of Tom Brevoort's tumblr gained sentience and took human form, and asked this long rambling "question" about why Marvel has abandoned the F4 and why "Marvel Wesr" is dictating everything that "Marvel East" does and why Marvel's comics don't have the kind of optimistic tone that the Fantastic Four was always known for and I was standing two places behind him in line for the microphone alternating between rolling my eyes, shaking my head, and pinching the bridge of my nose.

And then Kelly Sue asked him if he'd actually read say, Fraction's FF and he insisted that he bought all of the books but hadn't actually read them yet past the first 5 issues but he didn't feel that really mattered and oh god I wasn't prepared to face the idea that people like this exist outside of "the internet"

• Options
    here's some stuff I thought was interesting from the CBR writeup:
    When asked about a perceived suppression of the Fantastic Four within Marvel publishing, Cebulski dismissed the notion that the characters are being held back. "There will be a 'Fantastic Four' book," Cebulski said, adding that the characters play an important part in "Secret Wars."

So there's an FF book announcement still coming.
    A fan asked about the lack of gay or bisexual lead characters at Marvel, and if there's an effort to be made to increase that representation. "We have to keep in that mind, but also, we don't want to push anything," Cebulski responded. "We don't want to create any kind of an agenda. We don't set limits on our writers. We want everything to occur naturally, we don't want it to feel forced. We want to be as diverse as possible, but we're not going out and targeting specific demographics for books, because fans know when it's forced."

This is a very disappointing answer. I've never seen such a thing as representation that I would called "forced". I don't think it exists.

• Options
    A fan asked about the lack of gay or bisexual lead characters at Marvel, and if there's an effort to be made to increase that representation. "We have to keep in that mind, but also, we don't want to push anything," Cebulski responded. "We don't want to create any kind of an agenda. We don't set limits on our writers. We want everything to occur naturally, we don't want it to feel forced. We want to be as diverse as possible, but we're not going out and targeting specific demographics for books, because fans know when it's forced."

That's a fucking joke answer.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's kinda shitty, though I can see what they're attempting to say; that making a LGBT book for the sake of it existing vs a book with it's own hooks that just happens to be LGBT.

Though, going by that logic, Ms. Marvel shouldn't exist, given the hook of that book is very much about a muslim-american being a superhero.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    It's the "there needs to be a reason" argument in different clothes, which is bullshit, because what's the reason for like 70% of your heroes being straight white cis dudes, Marvel? I mean, these days, you could argue that maybe Bruce Wayne and Steve Rogers, given their origins, need to be white, but that is it.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    It's the "there needs to be a reason" argument in different clothes, which is bullshit, because what's the reason for like 70% of your heroes being straight white cis dudes, Marvel?

Because most of their character were made in the 60's and 70's by straight white dudes back before these kinds of issues were given the attention they deserve?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    do you go up to black people in the street and ask why they're black it feels like it's forced

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    do you go up to black people in the street and ask why they're black it feels like it's forced

Why would you ask him why he's black? He didn't create himself. Talk to his mother. Or god. :)

I mean, you wouldn't ask Luke Cage why he's black, you'd ask Archie Goodwin and John Romita, Sr. :)

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    It's the "there needs to be a reason" argument in different clothes, which is bullshit, because what's the reason for like 70% of your heroes being straight white cis dudes, Marvel?

Because most of their character were made in the 60's and 70's by straight white dudes back before these kinds of issues were given the attention they deserve?

More like, most of their characters are white guys created by Jewish guys back when segregation still existed.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    The problem I have with it is that this sentiment, "We don't want to create any kind of an agenda. We don't set limits on our writers. We want everything to occur naturally, we don't want it to feel forced."

It isn't really going to happen as I highly doubt a writer is going to feel the freedom (and support) to change a character's sexuality.

Like, these are exactly the types of things you address on your big company retreats because if you don't they won't happen.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    I also don't see a way to alter a popular character's sexuality that wouldn't come across as forced.

It's easy with new characters but having Tony Stark become bisexual will only come across as a forced change.

Not that I, as a member of that community, would feel offended by the forced alteration.

I'd take some force in exchange for greater diversity/representation.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Continuing to read through Transformers

Holy shit Autobot Megatron is incredibly interesting

Like probably my new favorite Transformers character who isn't named Grimlock

Megs and Nautica are probably my two favorite new characters on the Lost Light.

• Options
    I also don't see a way to alter a popular character's sexuality that wouldn't come across as forced.

It's easy with new characters but having Tony Stark become bisexual will only come across as a forced change.

Not that I, as a member of that community, would feel offended by the forced alteration.

I'd take some force in exchange for greater diversity/representation.

It would definitely be easier to do something like that with a teenage or young adult character who can be seen as still discovering their sexuality

Gillen did it with Prodigy in Young Avengers

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Felicity what is this dress you are wearing on flash.

It's a damn coffee shop trivia game

During the day

• Options
    you can't stop Felicity from wearing fancy dresses even in the most casual environments

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

During the day

I had an acquaintance yesterday tell me

exact quote

"I am still watching arrow because of felicity's dresses"

So I guess its working

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    In response to that joke answer...

What has Northstar been up to lately?

Last thing i heard, he was married.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    He's currently showing up in Amazing X-Men, though he doesn't get much spotlight.

• Options
    It is

So weird that this trivia thing is at a coffe place during the day and not at a bar at night

• Options
    Like do they have regulations on showing alcohol or something

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I think a few episodes later they go to a bar and at least one person gets incredibly drunk so no, definitely not.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Like do they have regulations on showing alcohol or something

What? They show beers and stuff like every episode of Flash

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

During the day

"feel free to buy yourself that dress" may be the smoothest line Eddie has had in the show thus far.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Okay, I'm looking into doing the Avengers marathon and AMC's website is confusing me. I'm at https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/ultimate-marvel-marathon-2015 for the Advanced Tickets, but because none of the theatres on the list have their schedule updated a month in advance, there's literally no theatre listed that's doing this marathon. How am I supposed to get advanced tickets?

This discussion has been closed.