As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bloodborne is a ps4 exclusive. Give me your PSN names, please

19495969798100»

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    hey, anybody have a PS4 in Europe right now that can do me a quick favor?

pm me

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    If you die she says "do you still dream? Say hi to the doll for me"

Oh yeah, that little nugget.
    Djura reinforces that as well, as he used to dream and comments on your ability to dream. Apparently something specifically about your death clues them in to the fact that you still dream.
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    This is the dialogue
    (Laughter) "Few hunters can resist the intoxication of the hunt. Look at you, just the same as all the rest..."
    "The hunters must die... The nightmare must end..."
    "Only I can stop this madness!" (continued laughter)
    When Eileen has been significantly injured, "The beasts cannot be stopped. What good are hunters now?"
    (Yelling) "Your blood is mine! A hunter's blood for me! Your punishment is death! Death to hunters!"
    "Enough of this terrible dream!" (laughter)
    When Eileen is slain, "...Ahh... you monsters..."
    "All hunters must die!" (laughter as her body fades)

I don't understand wtf is going on having read that though. I thought she was just hunting hunters to try to give them sky burials. But this the nightmare must end, enough of this terrible dream stuff is really interesting. And why does she now seem to want to kill all hunters?

Only I can stop this madness? Does she think if all hunters die then the cycle will end perhaps? When she's talking about the nightmare ending or enough of this terrible dream, is she just gone crazy and talking about the world itself being a nightmare, or are we getting back into "the whole game is a dream" territory, which I still don't buy.

Oh yeah, her whole dialog tree is super fucking interesting. My take on it.
    At this point when you attack her she's breaking. She knows Gascoine is on the edge, Henryck's gone, and Djura is...well, Djura and they might have not been close. But the fact that she knows that Gascoine has been on the edge for awhile means that she's had multiple interactions with them. Couple on TOP of that, that every single Hunter you encounter other than Eileen is hostile and attacks on sight.

If you notice, a common theme with her and her quests is that she puts on a tough front, but she really REALLY cherishes that you're still you and sane and just hunting beasts, and wants to spare you the trama of hunting other Hunter's who have gone mad.

She's like a protective mother hen that way, espeically when she clues you in that she's at least a bit older than you are.

If you think about Eileen's situation, it's about 100 times worst than our own characters, and the only thing worse than being alone in an insane world, is seeing people you know and love, comerads, fall victim to that insane world.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    oh my fucking god

I think

I know

what the celestial larvae are supposed to be

Celestial%20Larvae_small.jpg

ECTOPIC%20PREGNANCY1.jpg

I'm not really seeing it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    So gascoignes set helps. Still at one third or so he's fucking hard.

Maybe I'll summon alfred

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    If you're looking for poison resist for BSB I think the black church set you can pick up in the cathedral ward is better for that purpose, but not so much that it'll mean too much more. You have to buy the 10k key to get it prior to killing BSB though.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I am quite a fan of the Black Church set both in form and function. I've put a decent amount of levels into stamina so I can live without some of the physical defense and the resistances are very noticeable.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Alright I found that bloody messenger vendor but now I need one Ritual Blood (3) to start the Sinister Hintertomb, one Ritual Blood (4) to start the Loran Chalice, and like five Ritual Blood (5) to start the Isz Chalice, is there any reasonable way to get those things or am I looking at buggering around in the dungeons I've already done hoping for a (3)?

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    You should be able to buy 3s from either the insight vendor or the regular one. That might not unlock till later, though.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Oh I know where the doors are at, I've impacted their platform at high velocity a couple times

I forget which one but EpicNameBro shows how to get to it in one of the walkthrough videos he's posted on YouTube

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    You should be able to buy 3s from either the insight vendor or the regular one. That might not unlock till later, though.

RAD

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Oh I know where the doors are at, I've impacted their platform at high velocity a couple times

I forget which one but EpicNameBro shows how to get to it in one of the walkthrough videos he's posted on YouTube

My quick tip for makin' this jump:
    Move into the room on the center walkway for just a few steps, turn completely around, and look below and to the right. You should see some hanging ropes there. Those "point" to the first spot you need to drop to. Roll off the walkway towards the ropes, and you should land on the first platform, and basically be good to go at that point. Depending on your Vitality you may want to heal before taking the second jump (which should be obvious if memory serves).

signature.png

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    cursed beast

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    question re: willem
    do we know if he's the one who first made the discovery of the medium in the labyrinth, or if it was someone else?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    what I did when I was short on ritual blood is just make a root version of the highest chalice I could and you'll get tons of ritual blud

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    do we know if he's the one who first made the discovery of the medium in the labyrinth, or if it was someone else?
    The Graveguard outfit (found in the Forbidden Woods) suggests that there were two dudes from the church who were sent into the tomb and first came into contact with the Labyrinth medium and went crazy/were altered in some way. But I suppose someone else may have gone done earlier and knew that would happen or something.

• Options
    alt post:
    if you want more blood so you can bleed your blood make a blood blood using blood (5) at the blood chapel

• Options
    Alright, so after watching a couple lore videos I have some new thoughts on umbilical cords:
    I think the idea is that when it says the Great Ones lose their child and yearn for a surrogate, it doesn't mean that they're all trying to birth a new great one. They're content to control a person if that person allows it by consuming the umbilical cord that came from that great one's child.

All in all, what we basically have is a story about how a bunch of people all sought to evolve humanity beyond what we're naturally capable of, and the many different ways it can go wrong.

"A great relic, also known as the Cord of the Eye. Every infant Great One has this precursor to the umbilical cord."

Every infant great one has the precursor to an actual umbilical cord, but it's not fully developed because the infant died.

"Every Great One loses its child, and then yearns for a surrogate. The Third Umbilical Cord precipitated the encounter with the pale moon, which beckoned the hunters and conceived the hunter's dream." - Abandoned Workshop

I am now reading this as meaning that Gehrman consumed the moon presence's cord, and then the moon presence created the hunter's dream, ties hunters to the dream, and trapped Gehrman. I'm starting to think the dialogue about him wanting Willem and Laurence is just him yearning for one of them to save him because he's long since realized the mistake he made, but he isn't even aware that neither one of them can help him now.

"Every Great One loses its child, and then yearns for a surrogate. This Cord granted Mensis audience with Mergo, but resulted in the stillbirth of their brains." - Mergo's Wet Nurse

Someone at Mensis used this cord, which granted audience with Mergo, Yharnam's great one child who is the cause of the chaos. The game doesn't show us do it probably so as not to rile people up over killing a baby on screen, but the chaos ends only when we actually silence Mergo's crying. Also, we haven't discussed this possibility but is Laurence Mergo's Wet Nurse? If he consumed the cord, he'd be bound to do Mergo's will, in this case take care of the infant great one, and it's possible over the course of time he's turned into the beast. Whoever consumed that cord became the wet nurse.

Provost Willem sought the Cord in order to elevate his being and thoughts to those of a Great One, by lining his brain with eyes. The only choice, he knew, if man were to ever match Their greatness." - Iosefka

So Willem used Rom's cord thinking it was going to lead him to greater insight, but as Rom is the Vacuous one, unthinking, so too did Willem's mind become Vacuous, now trapped there, with only the will to point you to his captor. I wonder how Iosefka got this cord, but we do see a choir member guarding Willem/Rom, so maybe false Iosefka, being a member of the choir, was able to access Willem and remove the cord somehow. Or maybe the act of impregnating the women in the immaculate conception tied to the moon cycle implants a new cord in the women. Why Iosefka? She's a member of the choir and was maybe super powerful, had a lot of insight, chilled with Ebrietas a ton, etc?

"Every Great One loses its child, and then yearns for a surrogate, and Oedon, the formless Great One, is no different. To think, it was corrupted blood that began this eldritch liaison." - Arianna's Child

This one I'm unclear about. Why does Arianna have Oedon's child? Maybe the formless one just chose a whore to impregnate for reasons unknown? Maybe Arianna is a descendant of Yharnam herself? Speculation all around.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I'm asking because I'm trying to set up a timescale. if Willem was the one who is responsible for the discoveries, then everything becomes messily compressed. if he had come to his position as provost while the discovery has already been made and the church established events have more time to unfold and make sense. it seems unreasonable to me that
    someone like Laurence could break off with Willem and go on to found a church so influential that it dominates every aspect of life in yharnam, as well as set up a network of hunters which blossomed, diversified and then had enough time to visibly decay, all while Willem was still alive and in charge at the college (seeing how his undecomposed body is still in the Lunarium, suggesting that there wasn't even enough time to bury him before disaster struck the college)

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I'm asking because I'm trying to set up a timescale. if Willem was the one who is responsible for the discoveries, then everything becomes messily compressed. if he had come to his position as provost while the discovery has already been made and the church established events have more time to unfold and make sense. it seems unreasonable to me that
    someone like Laurence could break off with Willem and go on to found a church so influential that it dominates every aspect of life in yharnam, as well as set up a network of hunters which blossomed, diversified and then had enough time to visibly decay, all while Willem was still alive and in charge at the college (seeing how his undecomposed body is still in the Lunarium, suggesting that there wasn't even enough time to bury him before disaster struck the college)

Consider how fast cultures change split in fight and fall apart

Hell look at ww2 germany

Entire country changed over a dozen years

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

Dialogue from Alfred about Byrgenwerth
    Byrgenwerth is an old place of learning. And the tomb of the gods, carved out below Yharnam, should be familiar to every hunter. Well, once a group of young Byrgenwerth scholars discovered a holy medium deep within the tomb. This led to the founding of the Healing Church, and the establishment of blood healing. In this sense, everything sacred in Yharnam can be traced back to Byrgenwerth. But today, the college lies deep within a tangled wood, abandoned and decrepit. And furthermore, the Healing Church has declared Byrgenwerth forbidden ground. It's unclear how many of its scholars remain alive... ...but only they know the password that allows passage through the gate.

I think the group of Byrgenwerth scholars referenced here were Willem, Laurence, and Gehrman. Possibly Rom too as Micolash's dialogue points to Kosm granting Rom more eyes so Rom could've been a human first, but it's unclear.

As to the other answer above about the 2 people, this is the Graveguard description:
    His pale countenance mimics the labyrinth watchers. Willem kept two loyal servants back at Byrgenwerth. When they were sent into the labyrinth. they encountered the eldritch Truth. and went mad. One became the password gatekeeper, while Dores became a graveguard of the forest.

This is talking about after the medium discovery imo. It's just telling you that Willem had two loyal servants, not scholars, and when they went into the labyrinth and they saw the eldrith truth, they went crazy. One of them became the gatekeeper who takes the password, and the other Dores became the graveguard of the forest. They just didn't have the minds to handle the eldritch truth to begin with.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Alright, so after watching a couple lore videos I have some new thoughts on umbilical cords:
    I think the idea is that when it says the Great Ones lose their child and yearn for a surrogate, it doesn't mean that they're all trying to birth a new great one. They're content to control a person if that person allows it by consuming the umbilical cord that came from that great one's child.

All in all, what we basically have is a story about how a bunch of people all sought to evolve humanity beyond what we're naturally capable of, and the many different ways it can go wrong.

"A great relic, also known as the Cord of the Eye. Every infant Great One has this precursor to the umbilical cord."

Every infant great one has the precursor to an actual umbilical cord, but it's not fully developed because the infant died.

"Every Great One loses its child, and then yearns for a surrogate. The Third Umbilical Cord precipitated the encounter with the pale moon, which beckoned the hunters and conceived the hunter's dream." - Abandoned Workshop

I am now reading this as meaning that Gehrman consumed the moon presence's cord, and then the moon presence created the hunter's dream, ties hunters to the dream, and trapped Gehrman. I'm starting to think the dialogue about him wanting Willem and Laurence is just him yearning for one of them to save him because he's long since realized the mistake he made, but he isn't even aware that neither one of them can help him now.

"Every Great One loses its child, and then yearns for a surrogate. This Cord granted Mensis audience with Mergo, but resulted in the stillbirth of their brains." - Mergo's Wet Nurse

Someone at Mensis used this cord, which granted audience with Mergo, Yharnam's great one child who is the cause of the chaos. The game doesn't show us do it probably so as not to rile people up over killing a baby on screen, but the chaos ends only when we actually silence Mergo's crying. Also, we haven't discussed this possibility but is Laurence Mergo's Wet Nurse? If he consumed the cord, he'd be bound to do Mergo's will, in this case take care of the infant great one, and it's possible over the course of time he's turned into the beast. Whoever consumed that cord became the wet nurse.

Provost Willem sought the Cord in order to elevate his being and thoughts to those of a Great One, by lining his brain with eyes. The only choice, he knew, if man were to ever match Their greatness." - Iosefka

So Willem used Rom's cord thinking it was going to lead him to greater insight, but as Rom is the Vacuous one, unthinking, so too did Willem's mind become Vacuous, now trapped there, with only the will to point you to his captor. I wonder how Iosefka got this cord, but we do see a choir member guarding Willem/Rom, so maybe false Iosefka, being a member of the choir, was able to access Willem and remove the cord somehow. Or maybe the act of impregnating the women in the immaculate conception tied to the moon cycle implants a new cord in the women. Why Iosefka? She's a member of the choir and was maybe super powerful, had a lot of insight, chilled with Ebrietas a ton, etc?

"Every Great One loses its child, and then yearns for a surrogate, and Oedon, the formless Great One, is no different. To think, it was corrupted blood that began this eldritch liaison." - Arianna's Child

This one I'm unclear about. Why does Arianna have Oedon's child? Maybe the formless one just chose a whore to impregnate for reasons unknown? Maybe Arianna is a descendant of Yharnam herself? Speculation all around.

On your last point about a certain NPC
    It's strongly hinted that Arianna is actually from Cainhurst. Why she came to Yharnam is unknown, and how she fits into that whole lore is nebulous, at best. But a couple of key things.

1. She can give you her blood and it aids you. If you read her bloods description it reals along the lines of, "HEY, this blood kinda works like some forbidden blood techniques!". Normal Yharnamites don't have blood with actual healing properties, and only the nuns of the Healing Church are supposed to. The fact that she does as well is, well, suspicious.

2. Her Dress. You can find her Dress in Cainhurst and it's called a "Noble's Dress" and the description re-inforces it's the garb of Cainhurst nobles.

• Options
    Byrgenwerth was studying stuff before the discovery ever got made. Willem, Laurence, and Gehrman were all there. They started digging underneath Byrgenwerth, and started finding not only crazy great one shit, but also beasts. The more they uncovered, the crazier it got. Willem realize the blood was dangerous. Laurence broke off and founded the healing church and started using blood to heal people while Willem kept studying by trying to open his mind to seek more truth rather than blood. See: his lore item description that talks about Willem saying "we're thinking on the basest of planes. What we need are more eyes." Gehrman became the first hunter to take out the beasts that were people who couldn't handle the blood.

There's a thin line between man and beast, and at first, only certain people, think people they'd look down on, would turn into beasts from using the blood. What they didn't realize was that the problem was much worse than that, and as the moon descended, it just keeps getting crazier and crazier and everybody is going to start turning into beasts unless they can find a way to fight it, aka gaining insight to lower their beasthood and using more blood which delays the tranformation.

• Options

On your last point about a certain NPC
    It's strongly hinted that Arianna is actually from Cainhurst. Why she came to Yharnam is unknown, and how she fits into that whole lore is nebulous, at best. But a couple of key things.

1. She can give you her blood and it aids you. If you read her bloods description it reals along the lines of, "HEY, this blood kinda works like some forbidden blood techniques!". Normal Yharnamites don't have blood with actual healing properties, and only the nuns of the Healing Church are supposed to. The fact that she does as well is, well, suspicious.

2. Her Dress. You can find her Dress in Cainhurst and it's called a "Noble's Dress" and the description re-inforces it's the garb of Cainhurst nobles.

I had forgotten that stuff, thanks.
    Perhaps she has vileblood, whatever the heck that is. We at least know that Cainhurst is where that was taken and then utilized by Annalise and the vilebloods.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Thanks for posting all that dialogue duders - I'm really surprised by how much I've missed, despite having been through the game a few times now. I think, personally, that bloodborne has the most interesting and developed story of all the souls games, and I'm really enjoying trying to figure it all out.

I'm taking a day or two break from the game so I don't burn out, but I think this will be the first playstation game I platinum (VLR doesn't count as far as I'm concerned). I just need to move my 3rd character into ng+ to get the last ending, and then put in some chalice time to get the claws and down the boss.
    I've heard the queen boss fight be described as both incredibly fun and interesting, and as easily the worst/easiest boss in the game, so I'm pretty excited to say what's up to her personally and see for myself.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Also something I've been thinking about regarding the dream...
    While I'm pretty much on board with it being a non-real (whatever that's supposed to mean in this insane world) place, the fact that it says "Awaken Above Ground" when you use a gravestone to travel, and the fact that it looks pretty damn similar to Ash Lake from DS1, makes me entertain the idea that it's a real ass place deep underground full of asshole clam monsters and whatnot.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    Also something I've been thinking about regarding the dream...
    While I'm pretty much on board with it being a non-real (whatever that's supposed to mean in this insane world) place, the fact that it says "Awaken Above Ground" when you use a gravestone to travel, and the fact that it looks pretty damn similar to Ash Lake from DS1, makes me entertain the idea that it's a real ass place deep underground full of asshole clam monsters and whatnot.

IMO, the Hunter's Dream is
    A friendly great one created dream place created by the moon presence, similar to how the Nightmare of Mensis is a nightmare realm that you leave the real world to enter. The game tells us that the moon presence created the dream and we know it's just based on the abandoned healing church workshop.

• Options
    Odeon stuff:
    I'm interested to see if Odeon features into the DLC at all. Given he's the "formless" one, I'm not sure how she/he/it will factor in.

That said I totally buy that the one reborn is odeon in some way shape or form.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Nah. On Oedon:
    I think Mergo, Oedeon, and Kos/Kosm are on a whole 'nother level. I think the only true Great Ones we encounter are the Wet Nurse and the Moon Presence, with the Amygdala, Celestial Emissary, and Rom being failed attempts at creating a true Great One.

Since the whole game is a multiverse spanning dream created as a womb for creating a new Great One, it makes sense that the true ones are outside of it, with only a few left behind to guard and guide the place.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    I think it's clear that Amygdala's aren't created by humans, but that they are some other horrible creature that inhabits dreams that's not quite on a great one's level.

• Options
    Anyone up for assisting me against the shadow boss?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I think it's clear that Amygdala's aren't created by humans, but that they are some other horrible creature that inhabits dreams that's not quite on a great one's level.

Also keep in mind
    That the beings hanging out on buildings aren't exactly multiple Amygdalas. Amy doesnt have any face tentacles.

• Options
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    The implication I get is that everything in the dream, possibly sans the Wet Nurse and Moon Presence, were people once. Given the goal is to use the infectious nature of the disease to find a human capable of apotheosis, I think every monster you see was at one point a person, just most failed to reach the heights that you do.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    amygdala:
    I feel like the implication is pretty strong that the amygdala and various amygdala-likes are something that was encountered by humans as more and more eldritch knowledge was gained. The statues in the cathedral and the way patches talks about them (and the fact that there are so many) makes it sound like they are something from outside previous human experience, not something that was created along the way.

also what the fuck is the deal with patches? He is a spider who worships amygdala- why does he ask amygdala to spare you when it seems like he lured you to amygdala? Why is he a spider? Also what's the deal with the alfred faced spiders in the nightmare of mensis?

Crazy shit.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    Funny thing about the nightmares.
    They have a creature literally straight out of Lovecraft in them, called a gug. It's that white thing with the sideways mouth. So perhaps the Amygdala's are from the Nightmares, and the creatures in the nightmares are just cosmic horrors. Most of the beasties in Yarnham are definitley of human origin, though.

• Options
    Butters wrote: »

Anyone please I am so sick of this fight. Level 48 forbidden forest bosses

• Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Butters wrote: »
    level?

oh im in range. password?

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    shadow of yarnham is now the one boss I couldn't beat by myself

FqmsaJ6.png
This discussion has been closed.