As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

American Primitivism [chat]

VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited March 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
Folk music saw a renaissance in the 1950s when people like John Fahey, Leo Kottke, and Robbie Basho basically reinvented the acoustic guitar. It's notable for many reasons, but one of them is that their incorporation of Indian ragas and psychedelia predated the whole 60s countercultural movement. Listen to these tracks and remember this is one person playing a single track. This is American Primitivism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1BBj9E_ubI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC3t7aIioQ4

There's been a resurgence of musicians carrying this torch recently, most notably Daniel Bachman and James Blackshaw. The formula hasn't changed, and it's still awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-WeVkPb0jE&list=PLmOjQFe_53U34dClZWD82Q1Qptht5iFO1&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN8hixSVgsM

Vanguard on

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @chanus is old

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    This makes me so happy.

opportunity.png

Like seriously the fact Opportunity keeps going for all eternity is amazing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    a

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Deebs are you having an old man stroke.

nibXTE7.png
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    goddamnit

I never get chat!!!!

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

You can't tell him what to do. You're not even his real dad!

Good thing too. That would be an amazingly cruel thing for a father to say to his son.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    This makes me so happy.

opportunity.png

Like seriously the fact Opportunity keeps going for all eternity is amazing.
    I like the implication that it's some sort of Rover Vampire stalking its prey on Mars.

Also, if you ever get a chance, read the book The Martian by Andy Weir. It's like Castaway on Mars* and it is tangentially related to the above webcomic.

* Or more appropriately, the Lonely Astronaut:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQQLgkeuuu4

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

"Was the copilot a muslim?" is a more ridiculous Im-just-asking-questions question than "Was the copilot Hans Gruber's third brother?"

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    a

919UOwT.png
    goddamnit

I never get chat!!!!

always a [chat]smaid, never a [chat]

Speaking of "real dad", I used the kid's full name the other day when he was trying to drag a huge tin of Danish butter cookies off the counter yelling "more more more".

My god, the power.

The unbelievable power.

nibXTE7.png
    Speaking of "real dad", I used the kid's full name the other day when he was trying to drag a huge tin of Danish butter cookies off the counter yelling "more more more".

My god, the power.

The unbelievable power.

i really should not have compromised on middle name rights.

I am putting my money on him being a follower of mecha-hitler.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Thinking back, I think I was a goody two-shoes as a kid specifically so I would hear my middle name as little as possible. I hated it. SO MUCH. Still kinda do.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Let's start this chat on the right paw.

Xv8GWUv.jpg?1

This is Abby. She's our sweet old lady cat.

She is only a little bit walleyed.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    deadpool.jpg

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    The best thing about the holiday forum by far is @chanus is old jokes. Little known fact: I didn't even tell the first chanus is old joke. I just told the second through 87,032,393th joke.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Cats are evil

raccoons are just cats with people hands

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies

My god, the power.

The unbelievable power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOsHoqhbUIU

(about 0:50)

919UOwT.png

My god, the power.

The unbelievable power.

"Will it work in the three-name-parent-voice" was an actual conversation we had while coming up with names.

nibXTE7.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    HSD3TLk.jpg

ftOqU21.png

My god, the power.

The unbelievable power.

"Will it work in the three-name-parent-voice" was an actual conversation we had while coming up with names.

It is a Jewish tradition to use the first letter of the name of a deceased family member as the first letter of your child's name. I can't imagine naming a child without that restriction. There are SO many names in the world.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

My god, the power.

The unbelievable power.

It's a very important consideration

fuck gendered marketing
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Cats are evil

you should love them then

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    oh no I missed a chat : (

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    And thus my child was named HEY! STOP, ASSHOLE!

Psn:wazukki
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    HSD3TLkl.jpg

So, when will this evil corporation enslave all of humanity? Soonish?

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    isn't that from Mirror's Edge or something?

Psn:wazukki
    oh no I missed a chat : (

#rekt

919UOwT.png

My god, the power.

The unbelievable power.

It is a Jewish tradition to use the first letter of the name of a deceased family member as the first letter of your child's name. I can't imagine naming a child without that restriction. There are SO many names in the world.

My family always did the full name. It can be the middle name or the first name.

Mine is after my great uncle.

u7stthr17eud.png
    i loved masters of the universe as a kid

i'm sure that if i watched it now i would think it is terrible

919UOwT.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I wonder why they bothered including races other than godlike in pillars of eternity. Nobody is ever going to try those

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Hey guys check out this wu tang banger:
    http://imgur.com/a/QfbnQ
    Thirty-six styles of danger.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

The thing that always strikes me about cartoons from that era is that for a lot of it there are only like four frames per second of animation a lot of the time

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I wonder why they bothered including races other than godlike in pillars of eternity. Nobody is ever going to try those

Dwarfs are strong as hell. Orlan are awesome too. Godlike have pretty awesome abilities and models though.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I was named after a thomas the tank engine character

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »

The thing that always strikes me about cartoons from that era is that for a lot of it there are only like four frames per second of animation a lot of the time

they're glorified toy commercials

This discussion has been closed.