As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Risk Legacy] Game 1: A Brutal Peace

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Than expansion (taking neutral territories) is as unlimited as attacks?

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Attn: Die Mechaniker Command

We have established a fortified HQ in what remains of Colombia (#10). Fortress South America is a go

@preda

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Preda wrote: »
    Than expansion (taking neutral territories) is as unlimited as attacks?

Correct

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    It's time export capitalism in new worlds!
    Khan Industries opens a new branch in South Africa (18)! Fat Paychecks are expected for anyone interested!

@The Brayster is next.

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    NEW WORLD, NEW VIKINGS!

THE BEAR WILL STORM THE EARTH #2 AND STEAL YOUR PICNIC BASKETS

FROM OUR BASE IN SCANDINAVIA (#22) WE WILL RIDE (bears)

Of the two powers, Critical Hit sounds most fun, however unlikely.

@Sir Fabulous

The Brayster on
    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    Yeah critical hit is definitely the more entertaining of the choices, but at about 1%, not strictly optimal

• Options
    From the desk of Professor Frederick Arthur Blouse

Greetings from the newest Earth! The colonists have arrived safely through the portal, and we have set out to explore this new land. My heart is heavy, as are the hearts of my fellow pioneers, for it is well known that organic material can only travel cross-dimensionally once. There is no going back for us. Most of us have left everything behind. Still, this is a truly unique experience and I would not change my decision were I able.

I have been elected by the new colonists to record our history and send the information back to Earth Prime for archival purposes. I also plan to continue my research with Professor Theodore Bray into genetic modification. The new planet is a biologist’s dream. The flora and fauna here are similar enough to Earth Prime’s to be recognizable, but with a few significant differences that should shed light on some of life’s greatest mysteries.

With our teleportation technology, it should be much easier to transport both people and supplies to different areas of the world, making colonization a breeze compared to early Earth Prime voyagers. Many groups have already set off to different parts of the world to establish new societies.

I am very hopeful for the future. Humanity has never before had such opportunity. Humanity has never before had such peace.

The game will officially start later today, with a little more fluff and a few final tips from me, your friendly host.
    Let me know if you find the fluff interesting at all, because I like making narratives, but I won't bother if people aren't going to read any of it.
    That aside, get ready. The time to act has almost come!

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    A request and a question:

First, can we use both name and numbers in our posts when talking about territories? I know name but not numbers and it would help me.

Also, can we pm other players (with you included of course) @Sir Fabulous ? Or must all game discussion happen in the thread?

• Options
    A request and a question:

First, can we use both name and numbers in our posts when talking about territories? I know name but not numbers and it would help me.

Also, can we pm other players (with you included of course) @Sir Fabulous ? Or must all game discussion happen in the thread?

I agree that that is a good suggestion, and I have been trying to follow that with all of my posts. Is there a post I have made where that is not the case? If so, please tell me so that I might correct it.

Secondly, you are free to hold private PMs with other players as long as I am included. I find that part of the fun I have playing Risk is making and breaking alliances with other players. I understand that not everyone plays that way, but I'd like to keep the option for intrigue open to those who desire it.

• Options
    From the desk of Professor Frederick Arthur Blouse

June 9th, 1 NE
    Greetings from the newest Earth. Colonization continues to progress. However, I am beginning to have my doubts. Many of the supplies we brought from Earth Prime have started to fail us. Much of our technology--including our teleporters--has simply stopped working, seemingly for no reason. In addition, the crops and livestock we have brought over have not adapted very well to their new environments. This has resulted in a shortage of food. The Council of Nations still maintains that the situation is under control as of right now, but my research must move forwards rapidly from here on out. Tensions are starting to rise.

December 25th, 1 NE
    Greetings from the newest Earth. Merry Christmas! I wish I could say that this is a joyful time for me, but the last few months have been exceedingly stressful. My work is nearing completion, although it is dreadfully slow without some of the lab technology that has malfunctioned. It has been much harder than any of us had imagined. Many pioneers have turned to crime to fill their bellies. Thankfully, there are already several organizations that are stepping in to help. Khan Industries, run by CEO Preda Grey has generously set up a contract with the Counsel to begin equipping a privatized police force to control the lawbreakers. The kind CEO has maintained that the force will come entirely out of his own pocket. Altruism is not dead.

May 2nd, 2 NE
    It’s gone! All my research is gone! I know I was close! If only I had a little more time!
    That bastard Bray ran off with all of it! I put him in charge of the project while I went on an expedition to collect more specimens, and when I came back everything was cleaned out. He took most of my researchers with him too. Apparently he went to Europe, spouting some nonsense about how man can only rely on himself. The Council has sent me after him, for if we don’t get our materials back, our food crisis will only go from bad to worse. I will write again once I have solved this problem.

September 23rd, 3 NE
    I am sorry. I do not think that humanity was ready for this after all. I traveled to Europe to confront Professor Bray, but without teleportation technology, the going was slow. I managed to hire help from a crime boss named Justice. It seems as though he’s been the one organizing some of the criminals that have plagued the lands of late. Still, beggars can’t be choosers, and his network of shady contacts allowed me to reach Europe much faster than any other could. Once there, I found Professor Bray and discovered that he had become the leader of a savage cult called the Enclave of the Bear, lead by Bray himself, who now prefered to be called “The Brayster.” He was completely unwilling to return my research to me, and made it clear that he would react violently to further discussion. Dejected, I returned home. I am unsure how to continue.

June 9th, 6 NE
    It seems impossible that 5 years have passed since I first wrote to tell you about the trouble that all on this world now face. I have been a complete failure. Humanity has splintered. In the north, The Brayster continues his experiments with my stolen research. Justice has managed to gather a huge number of criminals into a so-called “Republic” of thieves, and Khan Industries has started to charge exorbitant prices for their services. I hear that elsewhere a delusional man who thinks he is a Ghost has declared himself Emperor of the entire planet. I am meeting with General Phyphor of the Council of Nations tomorrow. He has assembled a small team of elite military men. Hopefully we can arrange a covert operation to retrieve my research.

July 14th, 10 NE
    The Council lies in ruins. General Phyphor has betrayed us. He took our funding, our weapons, and our remaining supplies and fled to South America. We are finished. Those who have not thrown their lot in with one of the new factions will surely perish. I have made my choice of who I will support and will be setting out to join them as soon as I am able. Disturbing rumours abound that armies are being built up. What technology we still have is being used to make tanks and bombs. This is a true nightmare. I am sure that full-scale war is not far away.

February 12th, 20 NE
    It has begun.

And now, some last minute advice. Once again, I’m here to answer any questions or provide clarifications at any point during the game. Keep in mind that new rules will be added at some points. Obviously, these new rules supercede any previous statements I have made, so be prepared for things to change.

Ultimately, this is your game. Everything you do changes the board in some way. Have fun with it! This is a really cool game to roleplay a bit with, because you can sort of add those stories to the game eventually, so I encourage that, but it’s certainly not a requirement.

I think the most important advice I can think of is this: Let the game develop naturally. Sure, you could technically open all the packets by game 4, but most of the fun comes from opening new packets, so it’s better to spread them out. 15 games is a lot, and part of the reason it doesn’t become stale is because those packets change things up every now and again. Take your time and test things out. You’ll appreciate it. That said, do whatever you want, I’m not going to stop you.

Have fun!

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Pqi3HC8.jpg

Territory Resources
    The following territories are worth two resources: Territory 1 (Alaska), Territory 5 (Greenland), Territory 8 (Eastern United States), Territory 11(Peru), Territory 17 (Congo), Territory 19 (Madagascar), Territory 22 (Scandinavia), Territory 23 (Northern Europe), Territory 30 (Siberia), Territory 33 (Mongolia), Territory 34 (Kamchatka), Territory 38 (Siam)

All other territories are worth one resource.
    Red Star Tokens
    Brackets indicate Red Stars provided by HQs, which can change ownership
    JusticeforPluto: * [*]
    Grunt’s Ghosts: * [*]
    Phyphor: * [*]
    Preda: * [*]
    The Brayster: * [*]

Sideboard
    Territory 30 (Siberia)-->Territory 4 (Ontario)-->Territory 34 (Kamchatka)-->Territory 18 (South Africa)
    w96cuvu8jibg.png --> owbta28n92dm.png --> 5hj06vibfj20.png --> rx2otavsw76f.png

It all begins with JusticeforPluto. It's the start of your turn, so you get to recruit new troops (remember that recruiting new troops is [(# of territories controlled + population)/3, minimum 3). Then you're free to expand.

Let me know if you can see everything important on the map, or if there is any information you want me to include in each update post (otherwise they will all be structured like this).

Also, each of you have scar cards in hand. I think the easiest way to handle them is to PM the conditions under which you'd like to use your scar card. That way, we don't have people re-rolling things after scars are placed or anything weird like that. So @JusticeforPluto @Phyphor @Grunt's Ghosts @The Brayster @Preda make sure to do that sooner rather than later.

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    I LOVE that I am essentially the bad guy here. Great work on the fluff. It has slightly changed the way I look at my own faction now (in a good way).

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    I resent these accusations leveled at the Saharan Republic!

• Options
    Sadly, the Council did not have the strength to do what must be done. Die Mechaniker will see this crisis through

• Options
    Question: for die modifying effects, is it capped to [1,6], or can "-1 to defender die" turn a 1 into a 0?

• Options
    Place 3 soldiers in Eastern US(#8)

Move 10 to Mexico (#9)

I plan to attack @Phyphor. Do you wish to use a scar card?

• Options
    Nope, go ahead

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Question: for die modifying effects, is it capped to [1,6], or can "-1 to defender die" turn a 1 into a 0?

A die cannot be modified higher than 6 or lower than 1.

• Options
    Geth Roll 5D6 (first 3 attack, last 2 defender)

• Options
    Geth roll 5D6

• Options
    I think the d needs to be lowercase

• Options
    Lower caee d?

Geth roll 5d6

5d6 19 [5d6=1, 4, 4, 5, 5]

• Options
    I lose 2, attack again

Geth roll 5d6

5d6 18 [5d6=2, 1, 4, 6, 5]

• Options
    I lose 2...

Attack again

Geth roll 5d6

5d6 20 [5d6=4, 2, 4, 4, 6]

• Options
    I lose 2, cease attack....

• Options
    Yeah... also I had +1 for all of those rolls. You had a 20% chance of winning

• Options
    HQs get plus 1?

• Options
    A clarification about Scar Cards.

If two Scar Cards are played at the same time, the person who places the Scar Card is whoever declared they wished to place one first.
    If both players declare that they wish to place a Scar Card at the same time, priority goes Current Player --> Defender (if any) --> Clockwise from Current Player (We'll use the signup list).

• Options
    Move 3 units to Eastern US, end turn.

• Options
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Can we also list the amount of units each side has in the conflict? Like A:10 D:8?

• Options
    edited April 2015
    HQs get plus 1?

Just Die Mechaniker, because of entrenched

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Drat!

• Options
    Place 3 in Eastern Australia (#41). Move 1 to Western Australia (#42), Move 6 to New Guinea (#40), and 5 to Indonesia (#39).

@Phyphor

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Place 3 in Eastern Australia (#41). Move 1 to Western Australia (#42), Move 6 to New Guinea (#40), and 5 to Indonesia (#39).

@Phyphor

Edit: Nevermind, your Holiness. I was the fool. I should have known better than to contradict you.

In the future, when moving troops please declare where you are moving them to and where you are moving them from.

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    Wrong! I placed 6 troops in New Guinea, then moved 5 of them to Indonesia. From my count, there is 1 in West A, 1 NG, 4 in Eastern A. And 5 in Indonesia.

Someone please give me a new General of the Army. One that can count up to 11 if it's not hard to ask.

• Options
    Have mercy Supreme Leader!

• Options
    Deploy 3 to Venezuela (#10). Commence counterattack into Mexico

Geth roll 4d6 (only 1 defender)

(only 1 defender):
    4d6 18 [4d6=4, 5, 5, 4]

• Options
    Done (3 mexico, 8 venezuela). Draw a coin card

I guess J4P could have fortified mexico... but probably not with 1 troop there

@preda

• Options
    Situation report: We have successfully repelled the Saharan Republics's surprise invasion. It would seem they are not used to fighting outside of the desert regions.