As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We finally have free time to work on our [Gunpla] Thread

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    its a shame all of these seem to be imports

I dont want to wait 3 weeks!

There might be a local store near you which sells them! Also, you can sometimes pick them up at conventions... usually for a slightly higher price.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I opened the box. Googling for guides reveals that this just snaps together, with no glue? I was expecting to make a mess.

Fuck it. I'm doing it.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    its a shame all of these seem to be imports

I dont want to wait 3 weeks!

There might be a local store near you which sells them! Also, you can sometimes pick them up at conventions... usually for a slightly higher price.

Amazon has a bunch of cool model kits on Prime.

Also, ordered a second Montero and some paint markers. Hoping it'll look alright. Either way, it'll be a learning experience.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    I opened the box. Googling for guides reveals that this just snaps together, with no glue? I was expecting to make a mess.

Fuck it. I'm doing it.

Good luck, have fun!

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    How do I limit my search to only prime stuff?
    I keep seeing things sold through amazon

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    How do I limit my search to only prime stuff?
    I keep seeing things sold through amazon

There should be a button on the side saying "Only show free shipping through amazon".

Click that, and it should filter out non-prime stuff.

• Options
    I made a foot!

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Professor FuzzlesProfessor Fuzzles Not a furry, just sayin' FuzztopiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I build Gunpla and have about 40 odd models ranging from the easy and cheap grade to the hard and more expensive ones and are in various build states and at least 20 are still in the boxes.
    I am not skilled in the least but making them is very therapeutic and makes me feel I have accomplished something.

It can be a relatively expensive hobby as I have a few of the stands and bought the Gunpla marker pens too, plus I have had to import nearly all of them and customs is not cheap but last month I found local supplier with a good range of stock so thats great news, but its worth it as every kit I have got has been spot on with the quality, even the cheaper ones.

Also dont be put of with the fact the instructions will be all in Japanese, they are picture form and marked by numbers and letters and really easy to follow, really easy.

Professor Fuzzles on
  • Options
    Aaaaarrrgg, cut off a tiny bit that looked like it was part of the frame holding the parts, but was in fact a very important bit that allows the leg to extend without sliding off. Looks like I'll be using glue after all.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I used to put together little 8 or 10 inch gundam models that target sold, it was basic all snap together stuff but I really enjoyed it

I'm probably too scared of my limited ability to do anything involving paint

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Most official gunpla is snap-together and pre-colored. The most difficult thing you can find on a few models is screws, really, and the tricky bit there is making sure you don't strip the screw or the hole

With mecha models in particular, models that require gluing and painting are usually rare and tremendously pricey garage kits

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    With the eye stickers, I always just apply them a little high and then gently push down

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

It's funny how similar model building and sculpting are.

• Options
    Clear sticky tape is good for sticker positioning.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Almost done!

This:

003_1.jpg

Has so far become, this:

004_1.jpg

So far I've mis-cut and fixed one bit, and lost 2 small pieces. I'll find them at some point, but they aren't important (a cover for the back of the knee that you never see, and a little decorative bit that I can balance out by taking one off the other side)

It looks even better than I expected. Everything (apart from the toe claws) locks together really tightly and it's surprisingly posable too. Just got to get the shoulders done, alone with the gun and the radome.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I find it really bonkers that you can get early 80's star wars models for rather cheap compared to the snap tight Millennium Falcon.

I have a lot of the High end Gundam models I have not looked at since Sept 2001
    I would get them all the time in Japan and then Toy's R started to sell them for less than insane prices so it saved me the trouble of hauling them around for sometimes 3+ months in my bag while doing a tour
    I am really scared to go look at that box I have not opened it since I packed it up in a hurry then I know I tired to take care but I did not have the time

I have really steady hands so I don't really have the trouble with placement of small pieces it's not a race

I do like some of the car models but I run into the problem I hate the colours you can get maybe I want to do a charger in the pop bottle green or yellow not black like everyone does hmm?

I like the Zoids but I really just liked the smaller ones not the huge ones like the Pegasus or Triceratops ones

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Does that robot have a cape?

It's a camouflage tarp

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Almost done!

This:

003_1.jpg

Has so far become, this:

004_1.jpg

So far I've mis-cut and fixed one bit, and lost 2 small pieces. I'll find them at some point, but they aren't important (a cover for the back of the knee that you never see, and a little decorative bit that I can balance out by taking one off the other side)

It looks even better than I expected. Everything (apart from the toe claws) locks together really tightly and it's surprisingly posable too. Just got to get the shoulders done, alone with the gun and the radome.

I have a powerful need for that kit. I wanna make a radical purple walking nuclear death mobile!

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I have a lot of the High end Gundam models I have not looked at since Sept 2001

They probably have not aged well.

I mean, at the time, Some of them might have been cutting edge. But the engineering on those things has come a long way in fifteen years.

I got the first HGUC and some of the latest stuff, and man.

The original GM does not look good compared to a GM Thunderbolt or a GM Sniper K9.

• Options
    I know they were built and I was painting/inking the armor on them to look better
    But I have no idea what they look like now since it's a box I have not looked at in a long time

because work started carrying models again I look at the cars like the Foose ones and think hmm go look on amazon and ebay and then look some more and think meh I don't like the colors I can get
    Then I start looking at remote control cars again since I wanted to build a rally car and run it around the backyard but the kits I look at are all over the place

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I know they were built and I was painting/inking the armor on them to look better
    But I have no idea what they look like now since it's a box I have not looked at in a long time

because work started carrying models again I look at the cars like the Foose ones and think hmm go look on amazon and ebay and then look some more and think meh I don't like the colors I can get
    Then I start looking at remote control cars again since I wanted to build a rally car and run it around the backyard but the kits I look at are all over the place

R/C cars? What you wanna know?

• Options
    Professor FuzzlesProfessor Fuzzles Not a furry, just sayin' FuzztopiaRegistered User regular
    Are the Zoids of comparable quality to the Gunpla kits?

• Options
    edited April 2015

Depends on the Zoid and the Gunpla, I suspect.

I mean, comparing to an Advanced Grade and to a Perfect Grade? Very different things.

HMM Zoids are a little more complex than a Master Grade, with (maybe, hard to tell from a quick lookup online) lower build quality. Older kits, less complex than the main gunpla lines.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    I just remembered the Add on kits you could get for Zoids
    Then hours of debating what I wanted to paint them as

I have a model I picked up long ago I never put together because well I don't know
    I have a Yamato model but one of the higher end ones that I am just imitated by because I want to do things like the running lines and AA guns and to make as real looking as I can but then I remember it's an odd scale not 1/700 but bigger so I am kind of screwed unless I kit bash the rest

• Options
    Kit bashing is a weird and awesome art form
    ff01.jpg
    It's a Bell helicopter, a Vietnam era field kitchen and 4 ping pong balls

A Tie Fighter was really built from a b-25 ball turret and some records

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Holy crap, I didn't think a thread like this would be around. Thanks to both Gundam Build Fighters seasons being officially hosted on Youtube, I've been getting an itch to try Gunpla though the last model I built was years ago, it being the Batman Forever Batmobile. Dunno if I've got the skill or patience to build something complicated.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Holy crap, I didn't think a thread like this would be around. Thanks to both Gundam Build Fighters seasons being officially hosted on Youtube, I've been getting an itch to try Gunpla though the last model I built was years ago, it being the Batman Forever Batmobile. Dunno if I've got the skill or patience to build something complicated.

Don't worry about it.

A High Grade gunpla, assuming you're willing to accept good instead of perfect (a few scratches, box default colors, etc.) can be done inside a couple hours.

I can highly recommend the Sniper K9 if you're looking for a good one there. Some customizability right out of the box, tons of weapons and accessories (two sniper rifles, a machine gun, two pistols, a shield, two beam sabers, a giant combat knife, and a dog shaped robot buddy with a 1/144 scale team of eight armed soldiers.), good articulation everywhere but the elbows, and an awesome sniper visor. My favorite kit so far, although the Jesta Cannon and the Montero are also pretty neat.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Depends on the Zoid and the Gunpla, I suspect.

I mean, comparing to an Advanced Grade and to a Perfect Grade? Very different things.

HMM Zoids are a little more complex than a Master Grade, with (maybe, hard to tell from a quick lookup online) lower build quality. Older kits, less complex than the main gunpla lines.

Thanks for the info.

I also have a small collection of Metal Earth models https://www.fascinations.com/metalearth

Which are flat sheets of metal you pop the pieces out of and assemble to make things from the Eiffel tower to R2 D2 to everything in between and all you really need is a small pair of pliers and clipper.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

Don't worry about it.

A High Grade gunpla, assuming you're willing to accept good instead of perfect (a few scratches, box default colors, etc.) can be done inside a couple hours.

I can highly recommend the Sniper K9 if you're looking for a good one there. Some customizability right out of the box, tons of weapons and accessories (two sniper rifles, a machine gun, two pistols, a shield, two beam sabers, a giant combat knife, and a dog shaped robot buddy with a 1/144 scale team of eight armed soldiers.), good articulation everywhere but the elbows, and an awesome sniper visor. My favorite kit so far, although the Jesta Cannon and the Montero are also pretty neat.

I remember that from the first GBF season. Nice Gundam and I do like some underdog Suits like the GMs. How about the Strike? It's one of my favorite Gundams even if it has a battery-life of a cheap watch.

• Options
    Wow the high grade gunplas are a lot cheaper than I thought

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    One of my mates is moving his Gundam models out of one room and into another:
    10425444_10153703292287646_609256215083629230_n.jpg?oh=eca0462e12a4cb078a6c8476fa82810b&oe=55A86EFC&__gda__=1437916100_bc618fce19d79dc2bcf6e458e0a9791d

(that is a dining table not a coffee table...)

He has a bunch of MG kits still in their boxes, too:
    11136734_10153712608727646_8819070959291281951_n.jpg?oh=c7ed36c6e224105dc2d7683af97c7780&oe=55A05E6B

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    ah shit I can get a Master Gundam riding Fuunsaiki for like three Hammies

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options

Don't worry about it.

I remember that from the first GBF season. Nice Gundam and I do like some underdog Suits like the GMs. How about the Strike? It's one of my favorite Gundams even if it has a battery-life of a cheap watch.

Don't have it, but from what I've seen it looks good. Double jointed elbows, nice sculpt, decent amount of accessories, and like the GM Sniper II it's cross-compatable with most other modern kits.

They're really been increasing an emphasis on swappable parts lately. It's kinda neat, especially with the whole HGBC series.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I cannot decide on one model

Someone needs to jut pick me one that isnt insane

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

7QFawP2.jpg

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    char's zaku or gtfo

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular

Don't worry about it.

Don't have it, but from what I've seen it looks good. Double jointed elbows, nice sculpt, decent amount of accessories, and like the GM Sniper II it's cross-compatable with most other modern kits.

They're really been increasing an emphasis on swappable parts lately. It's kinda neat, especially with the whole HGBC series.

Just make sure you don't get the old Strike though. Thanks to the Build Strike from Build Fighters, standard Strike got a much higher quality re-release.

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

7QFawP2.jpg

Ah, the Borjarnon. An interesting choice. I just wish the made the Gavan Gooney custom instead of forcing us to stick with the Luzianna standard issue, but it's still a popular model.

My vote really depends on what kind of thing you want. Grunts, heroes, villains, a giant robot horse? Also level of difficulty and price factors in.

• Options
    Zaku II is probably the most easy non chibi, standard figures that I've made and its cheap, probably took me less than a hour to make and I've got a dodgy grip and shaky hands. Also don't be fooled by those squat chibi style one's and think they will all be easy, some come in many tiny fiddly parts just made to frustrate.

This discussion has been closed.