Options

[Love] is...

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Or "We are calling regarding your recent accident claim. You may be entitled to ..."

(that one's more subtle. I'm always like "... did I have an accident and forget?"

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    the worst ones are "we are a bill collector and you owe us a lot of money now please give us your social security number so we can confirm your identity"

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    "Hi! You've won a free tropical getaway! Press 1 to claim your prize!" or something to that effect

I have never gotten one of these on a cell phone

I've gotten
    so
    many

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Hello this is microsoft we've discovered your computer has a virus

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Or "We are calling regarding your recent accident claim. You may be entitled to ..."

(that one's more subtle. I'm always like "... did I have an accident and forget?"

"Oh shit did I take out loans with PPI?"

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    "Thank you for choosing West Jet..."

once every couple of weeks for going on 3 years now.

• Options
    I once got one after I made a purchase on Amazon marketplace which said my credit card had been rejected

The amounts were so close that I had to click and look at my bill to compare them

• Options
    I just saw an ad on Youtube which had a hot bearded guy advertising an electric razor

You're not really making a convincing argument here

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    the answer.
    Xaquin wrote: »
    don't back down on this @GreasyKidsStuff

Hello!

Please dial your credit card number followed by the # key to claim your lovely island adventure!

edit: Or just PM it to me, whatever works for you.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    was it a before shot

• Options
    was it a before shot

They showed some guy shaving in the end but I'm not sure it was the same guy who introduced the razor, if it was, he was infinitely more attractive before he took the razor to his beard

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    don't back down on this @GreasyKidsStuff

Hello!

Please dial your credit card number followed by the # key to claim your lovely island adventure!

edit: Or just PM it to me, whatever works for you.

hot damn!

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I realize several folks who've said they get spam calls are not in the US, but if you are: https://donotcall.gov/

• Options

wow!

that was quick!

totally legit everyone!

04imcya9qyyi.jpg

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »

"Oh shit did I take out loans with PPI?"

"wait...do I even know what PPI is? god damnit"

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    [...] achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds.
    Pixels Per Inch?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    People have given my husband and me shit because we don't have cell phones. Apparently, as parents, we are obligated to have them because we have a kid now and what if something terrible happens?

Our response is, "call the landline if bad thing happens at work, or call the workplace if something bad happens at home. If parents were obligated to have cell phones when they have babies, we'd get government issued ones at the birth of each child."

I think it's safe to say that most of us here never really had cell phones growing up and it wasn't really a problem? I'm not sure what people think has changed about the world in the last 10 years or so that chaos will descend upon anyone who doesn't have constant contact with everyone else.
    It's more like 15-20 at this point. Like, I remember when I got my cellphone in 2000, and the dude was incredulous that I didn't know how many minutes I wanted since I'd never owned one previously. And this was in a Best Buy, not a carrier-specific store.

sig.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    People have given my husband and me shit because we don't have cell phones. Apparently, as parents, we are obligated to have them because we have a kid now and what if something terrible happens?

Our response is, "call the landline if bad thing happens at work, or call the workplace if something bad happens at home. If parents were obligated to have cell phones when they have babies, we'd get government issued ones at the birth of each child."

I think it's safe to say that most of us here never really had cell phones growing up and it wasn't really a problem? I'm not sure what people think has changed about the world in the last 10 years or so that chaos will descend upon anyone who doesn't have constant contact with everyone else.
    It's more like 15-20 at this point. Like, I remember when I got my cellphone in 2000, and the dude was incredulous that I didn't know how many minutes I wanted since I'd never owned one previously. And this was in a Best Buy, not a carrier-specific store.

It may vary from region to region but when I was in high school (2002-06), cell phones were still more of a one-per family novelty.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    a universal migraine.
    i do not hate talking on the phone if i want to have a conversation

it's nice

i facetime with my besties cuz they live in the other part of brooklyn and it's an easier way to hang out

i hate when like.. like there was this one guy who would call about things instead of texting but... we were not besties and it's like, now you're imposing a conversation on me that i don't want to have you could have just texted and now you're talking about things and i do not want to talk to you

which is why i am iffy on calling people who are not close friends without a good reason i guess

poo
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    a universal migraine.
    my parents text me more than i text them though, i call them

mommas boy u see...

poo
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I get calls telling me that like, Oakland gas and electric thinks they can save me energy costs on my home

The main problems with these calls are me not owning a home, that not being a real company (it's Pacific gas and electric), and me not living in California. Good try though guys!

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I can't stand talking on the phone because I tend to use a lot of visual prompts when I talk to people.

Plus my voice pretty much always sounds like I've only just woken up, so talking over the phone just seems to accentuate that.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    If someone calls me out of the blue instead of texting, I immediately think something bad happened

But texting does follow the natural progression of cell phones making communication easier and more convenient

Cell phones were a huge deal because it meant you did not necessarily have to be at home to have a real-time conversation with someone who was not in the same vicinity. Texting is also a huge deal because you do not have to be readily available for someone to talk to you, and you can reply and back and forth at your convenience. If anything the blowback is that it's a little too convenient, and people get used to having those conversations even in potentially unsafe situations, ie while driving.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I could never understand people who hate telephones.

With me, it's mainly because I lost some of my hearing in my early twenties. I used to spend so much time talking on the phone when I was a teenager, but now it is so much harder to follow a conversation without seeing someone's face. And you can only ask someone to repeat themselves so many times before they get huffy. It's just a hassle.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I have a little pay-as-you-go flip phone and that's pretty much all I need. Most days I don't even need that.

I've gotten endless amounts of shit for having absolutely no interest in a smartphone since it is apparently the only kind of phone worth having, even though I point out that I have everything a smartphone does, but elsewhere. You know, outdated, worthless technology like a computer and a Kindle.

I just apparently cannot impress upon people around me well enough the reality that I have very little use for one. "You can get a cheap one that only costs X a month, you can afford it" Yeah, or I can just spend $20 every three months, have a phone for emergencies or little things and keep that extra money for other stuff that I can afford and actually have use for.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    i may have found a fwb

this is simultaneously exciting and terrifying!

let's see how it goes

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    all friends are friends with benefits

the benefit............is friendship :)

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I'm currently writing a romantic comedy set in the universe of Frank Herbert's Dune called Friends with Bene Gesserits.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    a universal migraine.
    dang, chico

10/10

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    the answer.
    #pipe wrote: »
    I hate cell phones pretty fiercely. I hate that owning one is an open invitation to people to hassle me whenever they want

see this

this is the thing

this is the thing I've never been able to understand

the only things I see as people hassling me on my phone is spam calls, and I get 1 of those every couple of weeks and hang up and block the number. My friends asking what I'm up to or my wife calling to chat during my lunch hour or my parents wanting to ask me a question or catch up is the opposite of hassling for me.

The real estate biz must have been a lot more fun before cell phones. Now I just see realtors answering phones constantly at my job. Bothered over every little thing.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The only thing I find frustrating about mobile phones are people who say, "I don't like being contactable all the time on a phone" which would be fine, if they then didn't have a mobile phone.

I find it frustrating when they don't check their phone, but are happy to message you, and then demand you to respond immediately.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Luckily no-one likes me enough to contact me frequently, so my phone is free to be an MP3 player, alarm clock, and games machine 99% of the time. 8-)

I use my 3ds for 2 of the three so it's not a total loss

• Options
    the worst ones are "we are a bill collector and you owe us a lot of money now please give us your social security number so we can confirm your identity"

My brother when he got his new number for months got harassed by bill callers to the point he knew what numbers they used and what times they called
    Over this woman named Ethel apparently she racked up quite the medical bills and skipped out or something

• Options
    It's the problem I gave about owning a phone as I cannot justify paying $45 a month for something I would barely use.
    I had a pay as you go phone that was 15 a month but I racked up quite the credit after a time as I had no one to text or to call so I did basically waste money I could ill afford at the time.
    I take my 3ds with me when I got out and to work since it works as a clock and a game machine when I need it.
    I don't mind texting just the people sending light novels as a text do.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Now that my iPhone does handoff to my mac I do send multi paragraphs, I don't really expect it back. But I figure, I can type quickly and detailed so why try and leave ambiguity when you don't need to.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Probably the strangest (and saddest) phone thing I ever got was a voicemail from a lady who thought I was her estranged son, and she spent the whole message weeping about how she was sorry for everything and please please please would he and his sister come to the house for Sunday dinner.

The worst part was, I couldn't even call her to let her know it was a wrong number because she didn't leave a number and when I checked the call list it was blocked.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I had a few days in a row where a guy called me thinking it was his mom's number, so when I answered, he was basically like "Who are you and where's my mom?" so I had to explain that I was not his mother, nor involved with her and tell him that he got the wrong number because he switched two numbers. He apologized, I said it was fine, no worries.

It happened two more times after I finally talked to him (I initially ignored his calls because it was a number I didn't know) and the last time, I just answered and went "Hey man, I'm still not your mom."

We had a laugh about it and then I never heard from him again.

Probably the most interesting thing my phone has ever been used for.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    yeah i got one string once from some folks who were real worried how their son was doing, slowly getting more and more worried over the months of them leaving me a voicemail trying to get an answer.

finally managed to catch it, and tell them no, sorry wrong number, but i wish i'd gotten to them sooner and saved them some stress perhaps.

This discussion has been closed.