As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLB 2021: Dodgers/Braves Cheatros/Wahh Sox

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Game 7 here we come. Whoever wins it's been a great series.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am glad we are getting a game 7 this series has been nuts. Also frustrating because I keep having to go to bed before games are over due to time zones.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I hope Houston wins because they seem very likable, and also they never have, but I really have no dog in the fight. I don't have a 'team'. The Cubs' Triple A farm club is here, but even then I felt no real allegiance to anyone. I just like entertaining series.

We get all 7 games? Cool with me.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I would like Houston to win simply because homerism and our Hurricane Harvey wasn't a result of us deliberately looking the other way a boom. Also because I remember this city being a baseball city after the Love Ya Blue Oiler era came to a close and just to let this team get that reward, it would be nice to see. Plus just to see the Fox broadcasters break down because the team they so desperately want to win didn't, that would be nice too.

I'm not a big baseball fan anymore (the strike killed it for me as a kid in the 90's as well as the Astros choking in the late 90's) but I do know the Astros have built the team up from scratch the right way with an average baseball salary, whereas the Dodgers spend more money than the Yankees, which just feels fake as fuck. Which seems appropriate for all the phony Dodgers fans jumping on that LA Kings bandwagon a double boom.

This being Houston they probably won't win because that's what Houston does, which will sting, but at the very least this run has distracted from the Texans being the Texans. I guess we just look forward to the Rockets choking in the playoffs because Harden will just give up.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I would like Houston to win simply because homerism and our Hurricane Harvey wasn't a result of us deliberately looking the other way a boom. Also because I remember this city being a baseball city after the Love Ya Blue Oiler era came to a close and just to let this team get that reward, it would be nice to see. Plus just to see the Fox broadcasters break down because the team they so desperately want to win didn't, that would be nice too.

I'm not a big baseball fan anymore (the strike killed it for me as a kid in the 90's as well as the Astros choking in the late 90's) but I do know the Astros have built the team up from scratch the right way with an average baseball salary, whereas the Dodgers spend more money than the Yankees, which just feels fake as fuck. Which seems appropriate for all the phony Dodgers fans jumping on that LA Kings bandwagon a double boom.

This being Houston they probably won't win because that's what Houston does, which will sting, but at the very least this run has distracted from the Texans being the Texans. I guess we just look forward to the Rockets choking in the playoffs because Harden will just give up.

Agree with pretty much everything. Although i only stopped watching the Astros after the sweep by the White Sox.
    But i too, remember the city being more of a baseball city for a long time and hasnt felt that way in awhile. I bet it will when i visit in a few weeks!
    Houston deserves it more because i feel like they fought harder for it. But, i'm biased.

Also, texans have been playing great i think! Just...not great enough.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Houston has this in the bag, the dodgers are going to choke. I bet tonight it won't even be close like 10-2.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I was going to make a joke about how Utley is a good enough reason to root for the Astros, but then Gurriel had to go and be a goose.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Houston has this in the bag, the dodgers are going to choke. I bet tonight it won't even be close like 10-2.

I hope so but Houston has not looked like themselves on the road

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

I hope so but Houston has not looked like themselves on the road

Dodgers have too much salary and ego to win a crucial game 7. And they have a former mariner reliever who already failed once.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Can Darvish pitch more than two innings? That'll be a big deal tonight, I think.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    The big advantage for the Astros tonight is still the same as last time they faced him, they batted against Darvish so many times as divisional opponents. Of course, none of that matters if he's at his absolute best, or if the Astros batters are pressing again. But if he's anything shy of that and if they can stay loose and play like they normally do, they can torch him just like before.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    What's going to be really interesting is how many pitchers are going to be used today. Like its all or nothing, game 7 the entire bullpen is available.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OremLK wrote: »
    The big advantage for the Astros tonight is still the same as last time they faced him, they batted against Darvish so many times as divisional opponents. Of course, none of that matters if he's at his absolute best, or if the Astros batters are pressing again. But if he's anything shy of that and if they can stay loose and play like they normally do, they can torch him just like before.

For the value the Dodgers get from acquiring Darvish at the deadline, they certainly ended up facing the worst possible opponent for that in the World Series. Houston knows Darvish well.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Anyone notice the impeach Trump petition ad right before the National Anthem? The timing can't be a coincidence, someone wanted to ruffle some feathers during the biggest sports event that isn't the Superbowl.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Anyone notice the impeach Trump petition ad right before the National Anthem? The timing can't be a coincidence, someone wanted to ruffle some feathers during the biggest sports event that isn't the Superbowl.

I missed it, but I don't usually tune in until after the anthem because it's not the game.

Here we go though!

• Options
    And this got off to a quick start.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Valuable stolen base.

• Options
    Going to be another short start for Darvish.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Springer is kind of surreal.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Can Darvish pitch more than two innings? That'll be a big deal tonight, I think.

Uh oh.

• Options

Yea he looks like he did his last start and look at that he gets hit.
    Valuable stolen base.

I missed the first two runs what happened?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I want the Astros to win because I'm a Giants fan and FUCK THE DODGERS.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options

Yea he looks like he did his last start and look at that he gets hit.
    Valuable stolen base.

I missed the first two runs what happened?

Lead off double, an error thrown past first, and stolen third base. RBI groundout after that.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I keep trying to figure out if I have literally any skin in the game for either team and...

I just can't bring myself to care about either team.

So instead I'm just cheering for Baseball. Let's go to 20 innings and a 31-30 score!

I mean right now I'm mad at the dodgers because apparently we'll JUST LET THEM DO WHATEVER. WHAT ARE WE< THE JAYS

Khavall on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Darvish is out and McCullers is a mess. This should be some game.

edit: though good defense and luck will cover for a lot I guess.

admanb on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Bellinger's ability to strikeout to the same pitch every time is frankly amazing.

Characters
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    Bellinger's ability to strikeout to the same pitch every time is frankly amazing.

Eh. Mike Zunino can strike out to the same pitch every time when it’s the only pitch thrown to him (breaking ball away from him of the plate and down)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »

Eh. Mike Zunino can strike out to the same pitch every time when it’s the only pitch thrown to him (breaking ball away from him of the plate and down)

fuckin don't remind me

• Options
    well I’ll be a fan of Captain America.....

• Options
    edited November 2017
    If someone looked at Yu’s film as he was warming up and benched him the Astros likely would have lost.

Edit: like the announcers saw he wasn’t getting on top of his curve ball

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Kershaw definitely should have started for LA.

But what is done is done and my team just won their FIRST WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy shit I almost can't even believe it

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    TzelTzel Registered User regular
    We win!!! Holy shit that was the most stressful game I have ever watched.

• Options
    ChiisaiChiisai Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Plus just to see the Fox broadcasters break down because the team they so desperately want to win didn't, that would be nice too.

Exactly, I think they were sad they couldn't keep blowing the Yankees so they had to go with the Dodgers. Astros were an afterthought.

I'm so happy they won since I'm from Houston. We've snatched defeat from the jaws of victory too many times. (Oilers vs Bills still hurts!) Plus, I think this is the one major sports championship that Texas didn't have.

And TexiKen, I CLAPPED WHEN I SAW YOUR AVATAR! :biggrin:

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Congrats Houston. An absolutely fantastic series by both teams. Kershaw should of started but hindsight and such.

Still great baseball. Now to the off season!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    ASTROS WIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

HOLY %$#^ HOUSTON FINALLY HAS A CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*i know i know. Something something Rockets. I dont watch basketball so...

• Options
    And the offseason has begun. Angels quickly answered whether Justin Upton will stick around or not. He had the option to opt out of the remaining 4 years and $88 million on his contract, turned around and renegotiated a 5 year deal for $106 million.

Actually hoping they sign Howie Kendrick again as a cheaper 2B option, and get some pitchers somewhere that aren't going to stub their toe and be out for 6 months.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    There's this nice feeling in the city, so many stories of people who are now 60-70+ who remember the old days of the Astrodome being this wonder and going to the games with their parents and sort of having this warm feeling of finally getting a championship. The Rockets did win in the 94 & 95 and it was great, but it never got the respect outside the city and a lot of people try and asterisk that because of Jordan leaving (but the Bulls still would have lost to those Rocket teams if they played, especially the '95 team). Outside of that we've had WNBA championships (lolz), minor league hockey and MLS trophies but really fam, come on.

I think what's making people feel different about this championship isn't just the hurricane and rallying the city, but that this was always the first sports team for Houston. The Rockets appeared in the 70's and moved here from San Diego, The Texans aren't the Oilers, so this why grown men around the city are ugly crying, because all those Astrodome (and Astroworld) memories are hitting them.

And just to show how powerful this team is, not only did Correa propose last night but Verlander won't be at the parade tomorrow......because he's marrying Kate Upton in Italy.

Houston is love. Houston is life.

• Options
    Phillies hired a manager noted for making posts online about using coconut oil to masturbate. Finally.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Phillies hired a manager noted for making posts online about using coconut oil to masturbate. Finally.

I didn't know Chu was on the market

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Roy Halladay died in a plane crash today :(

I got to watch him several times when he was on the Blue Jays and he was always fantastic, this sucks a lot :(

Characters
This discussion has been closed.