As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLB 2021: Dodgers/Braves Cheatros/Wahh Sox

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    You certainly don't have to root for the yankees!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    At this point I am rooting for the Nationals and for Howie Kendrick to get WS MVP. Always liked that guy when he was an Angel.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Yankees v Nationals would maximize the misery for Bryce Harper, whether you root for the correct outcome or not (Yankees in 6)

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Yankees in 6 being the preferred outcome because that was your pre-season prop bet?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    No because I support the most storied franchise in baseball that doesn't exclusively have insufferable Muppets as fans

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »
    No because I support the most storied franchise in baseball that doesn't exclusively have insufferable Muppets as fans

Well that rules out the Yankees.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Well that is one hell of a hole for the cardinals

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Well that is one hell of a hole for the cardinals

Now they know what the Braves felt like

(She/Her)
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Cards are done. Now hopefully the Nats don't cool off during down time as the Rocks did in 2007 as the ALCS goes on.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    N!
    A!
    T!
    S!
    Nats! Nats! Nats!

• Options
    Well, Kendrick got NLCS MVP at least, after being the deciding blow against the Dodgers in the NLDS too.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Get rekt Yankees.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    hilarious that in a way both Osuna and Chapman blew that game.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Holy cow. Scherzer is a scratch for tonight's game with spasms. So who has Ross and the Nats winning tonight?! ;-)

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    The last two games have been not good for the Nats. They have to win tonight or the series I think is going to Houston. Its hard to come back from losing 3 in a row at home.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    The last two games have been not good for the Nats. They have to win tonight or the series I think is going to Houston. Its hard to come back from losing 3 in a row at home.

True, I was actually at the Friday game. Was really fun to be at a game where everyone* was actually paying attention the whole time

*except for two older guys who looked like they just accidentally walked into the stadium. One guy had a small sign, and the other (in Phillies hat, which yet again made me ashamed to be a Phillies fan) was playing a Candy Crush knockoff through the first 4 innings. In the 4th inning, the guy with the sign stood up, showed his sign (which cause it was at an angle I couldn't read what it said, then both of them left at the end of the inning. It was the most bizarre thing ever.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    As was discussed elsewhere, Nats fans booed pretty loudly at Trump and chanted "Lock him up."

The Nats owner requested that MLB not offer to have him sit with Trump, so that he would not be forced to turn him down.

The Astros owner stopped by Trump's box to say hi and to fist bump Melania Trump.

The Astros might be winning, but the forces of good are on the Nats' side.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    As was discussed elsewhere, Nats fans booed pretty loudly at Trump and chanted "Lock him up."

The Nats owner requested that MLB not offer to have him sit with Trump, so that he would not be forced to turn him down.

The Astros owner stopped by Trump's box to say hi and to fist bump Melania Trump.

The owner of the Nats is a pretty well known DNC donor too. So it was like double awkward. The booing was pretty great though it happened off camera because it was during commercial break. I wish it was during the broadcast though.

Also man have the Nats gone cold. In 3 home games they scored 3 runs. Leaving people on base over and over again. Just rough to see.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

It's a good thing Rob Drake wasn't working the game last night.

• Options
    Man the nationals really stepped on their dicks here. Grats to the astros. I guess the solace I can take in this is that Kavanaugh probably lost a shit ton of money betting.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    It sucks that the Astros ownership and front office are making it so hard to root for the organization, not just because it's my hometown team, but also because a lot of the actual players (Osuna aside) seem like some of the real good guys of baseball--Altuve, Springer, and Correa in particular are like my big three of players whose careers I've been following since they were in the lowest levels of the minors and seem like awesome hardworking stand-up dudes.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Well they are going to win another world series. But so will guys like Osuna proving once again, if you are good at sports you can beat women with impunity. Hooray!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I thought the Osuna thing never went to court and we have no idea any details about that? I guess I forget that in America you are guilty until proven innocent, and guilty in the public eye is all that matters.

Professional sports has been filled with shitbags getting away with heinous shit for the entirety of their existence. I just assume every one of them is a bad guy and just hasn't gotten caught yet, or is really good at hiding it, and then am never surprised or disappointed when the truth comes out about them. Unless they are wearing the jersey I like, and then they are all great guys.

That said, the Nats are a hell of a lot easier to root for than the Astros at this point, considering it looks like the Astros organization is run by shitty people all the way down. I don't have much hope though.

• Options
    He wasn't found guilty because his accuser fled the country rather than be forced to confront him in court.

• Options
    The public isn't a court of law, and if a dude is suspended for 75 games for beating a woman I feel perfectly fine to call him a piece of shit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    The public isn't a court of law, and if a dude is suspended for 75 games for beating a woman I feel perfectly fine to call him a piece of shit.

But what if he wears the jersey you like...jfc

• Options
    Maximum wrote: »

I'd still call him a piece of shit? And be mad the team I liked added him to them? "He's so good its ok he beats up women." Is a nasty infection we have in merica.

Hell people are more upset when players take more money to play for other teams than teams taking on players with horrible issues.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    admanb wrote: »
    He wasn't found guilty because his accuser fled the country rather than be forced to confront him in court.

Didn't know that detail, which is shady as hell.
    Maximum wrote: »

I'd still call him a piece of shit? And be mad the team I liked added him to them? "He's so good its ok he beats up women." Is a nasty infection we have in merica.

Hell people are more upset when players take more money to play for other teams than teams taking on players with horrible issues.

I think another nasty infection in America is the idea that people can't come back from a terrible mistake, and if a kid does something really bad he is bad for the rest of his life and cannot be changed or become better. I mean I have no idea, he may be a piece of shit who is unwilling to change and doesn't realise that what he did is terribly wrong. He also should have paid a higher price, and it sucks that it got swept under the rug, as it almost always does for the rich.

Leagues are at least starting to take this stuff more seriously, but there is still obviously a long way to go.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    I think another nasty infection in America is the idea that people can't come back from a terrible mistake, and if a kid does something really bad he is bad for the rest of his life and cannot be changed or become better.

People have to suffer consequences for their terrible mistakes before we start talking about change or betterment.

• Options
    I think another nasty infection in America is the idea that people can't come back from a terrible mistake, and if a kid does something really bad he is bad for the rest of his life and cannot be changed or become better.

People have to suffer consequences for their terrible mistakes before we start talking about change or betterment.

Yeah he wasn't even suspended half a season. A guy like Tyreek Hill faced zero punishment. Forgive me for feeling male abusers are getting off light and I owe them not redemption narrative when they don't want redemption, they want obediance.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Oh I agree, and the fact that it mostly got swept away makes it hard to believe that he made changes in himself for the better. But maybe he is in therapy and is trying to be a better person. I don't know.

• Options
    I discovered I was still on Louis CK's mailing list this morning when I got an email from him so I'm pretty fucking In the Mood* for this topic of conversation.

*angry

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Osuna seems like a shitty human being, and he's not even that good as a pitcher. When an organization compromises its principles to acquire an elite starting pitcher or superstar position player, I still don't agree with it, but I can understand the temptation; those types of players can make a huge difference in accomplishing the ultimate goal of winning a World Series. Like, it's not worth sacrificing your standards, but I would at least get it.

To do it for a 1.5 win relief pitcher? I just don't even understand that. It's gross and it's stupid.

And like, yeah, Osuna's guilt hasn't been proven in a court of law; that's fine, I'm not saying he should never work any job again and should be burned at the stake. But he's not entitled to get paid millions pitching in Major League Baseball, and an organization certainly doesn't have to give up valuable assets and payroll space to acquire a player who they even strongly suspect did what it's alleged Osuna did.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    OremLK wrote: »
    Osuna seems like a shitty human being, and he's not even that good as a pitcher. When an organization compromises its principles to acquire an elite starting pitcher or superstar position player, I still don't agree with it, but I can understand the temptation; those types of players can make a huge difference in accomplishing the ultimate goal of winning a World Series. Like, it's not worth sacrificing your standards, but I would at least get it.

To do it for a 1.5 win relief pitcher? I just don't even understand that. It's gross and it's stupid.

And like, yeah, Osuna's guilt hasn't been proven in a court of law; that's fine, I'm not saying he should never work any job again and should be burned at the stake. But he's not entitled to get paid millions pitching in Major League Baseball, and an organization certainly doesn't have to give up valuable assets and payroll space to acquire a player who they even strongly suspect did what it's alleged Osuna did.

Well put. Makes me glad to be a Jays fan, considering we got rid of him for nothing close to market value. Showed a lot integrity from the organization.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Bad call there. Nationals player beats a bad throw to first but because it’s off-target the ump calls it interference.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    FUCK YOU, UMPS, YOU CHINLESS SHITWHISTLES!

Ed: HAH! SUCK ON THAT!

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Lol suck it umps

You fuck the Nats, they hit a homer

• Options
    edited October 2019
    What a dramatic game so far! I wonder what set Martinez off after the inning, he looks like he completely lost his mind. I hope his heart is ok :sad:

What does putting a game under protest even mean/do?

chuck steak on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    He was pissed because it was a very bad call

Edit: I think the outburst came after he was informed he would not be allowed to protest

Some of that may have been for the benefit of his players

Playing a game under protest means the league reviews the call later and “in theory” it can be reversed.

In practice, protests are almost never upheld because the league prefers to protect the umpires.
    Protested games are dealt with under section 4.19 of the rules. Only errors in the interpretation of the rules can be the object of a protest; judgement calls, such as the calling of balls and strikes, or calling a baserunner safe or out, cannot be protested. The manager must immediately inform the umpires of his intention to protest their ruling, and file a formal request for review with the league office within a specified time frame. The league will then rule on whether the umpires erred, and if the disputed action affected the outcome of the game. If the protest is upheld, the game is replayed from the point of the disputed ruling.

Protests are very rarely upheld in Major League Baseball. The most famous recent instance of a protest being successful is the July 24, 1983 Pine Tar Game, in which American League President Lee MacPhail ruled that umpire Tim McClelland was wrong to void a home run hit by George Brett with a bat that had more pine tar than allowed by the rules. The ruling meant that the home run was declared valid, and that the game was resumed on August 18th, with the batter following Brett in the batting order batting with two outs in the 9th inning.

knitdan on
  • Options
    I’m a little surprised they’re letting Strasbourg pitch the 8th.

This discussion has been closed.