As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLB 2021: Dodgers/Braves Cheatros/Wahh Sox

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    I wanna see someone throw a perfect game and lose because of the new extra innings runner rule.

Lose the perfect game? Like I don't think the runner on counts on the card as a hit or a walk, they are literally someone placed at second.

Honestly I thought that was something the game did just to make extra innings go faster, color me shocked when I found out that's a real thing. I kind of like it?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Preacher wrote: »
    I wanna see someone throw a perfect game and lose because of the new extra innings runner rule.

Lose the perfect game? Like I don't think the runner on counts on the card as a hit or a walk, they are literally someone placed at second.

Honestly I thought that was something the game did just to make extra innings go faster, color me shocked when I found out that's a real thing. I kind of like it?

No, lose the game even though they threw a perfect game. Something like a runner starts on second and then scores off of a sac fly. I'm sure the run would technically disqualify the perfect game but I really want to see a pitcher be perfect and still eat a loss because Manfred decided he had to mess with the rules.

Carpy on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    *Quickly checks the standings to make sure the Brewers are bad again*

Wait what? The Brewers are in first place in the division and third in the NL? Damnit, I generally don't have to pay attention to baseball because my team sucks!

steam_sig.png
  • Options

No, lose the game even though they threw a perfect game. Something like a runner starts on second and then scores off of a sac fly. I'm sure the run would technically disqualify the perfect game but I really want to see a pitcher be perfect and still eat a loss because Manfred decided he had to mess with the rules.

Going to be honest losing to two sac flies you should lose the perfect game!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: »

Wait what? The Brewers are in first place in the division and third in the NL? Damnit, I generally don't have to pay attention to baseball because my team sucks!

Its april, lot of teams (cough mariners) start decent and hit the suck skids, dunno if thats something the brewers do, but you can't take early season to mean shit, you can't win the world series in april.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Brewers were my pick for the NL central. The division is kinda wide open, them the cards and the cubs are all kinda the sameish. Reds are pretty close to the top 3 also, so it really is up in the air imo.

• Options
    Can we also appreciate that arizona held the braves to like one hit over 14 innings of baseball. Like god damn.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Yeah the Brewers have been annoyingly competitive these past few years, generally I'm safe completely ignoring the sport. I guess I'll have to familiarize myself with the roster at least a little bit, Paul Molitor and Robin Yount still play right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The Cards picked up Arenado but that was about it. He is a great player but there isn't enough depth to I think pull through but I say that every year and then they go to the playoffs or the series.

Arenado also is still probably the best 3rd baseman in the game. So it wasn't a small pick up.

Rockies are trash tier. So whatever. Minor league team there.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Yeah the Brewers have been annoyingly competitive these past few years, generally I'm safe completely ignoring the sport. I guess I'll have to familiarize myself with the roster at least a little bit, Paul Molitor and Robin Yount still play right?

Yes they totally do...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    I know it won't last, but I'm just happy to see the Yankees in the cellar.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    My favorite thing to read online are real ball players having people angrily tweet at them because of hard challenges in the new MLB game. Duvall on the marlins had some people shitting on him and he said "oh well let me play as you, oh I can't."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    As a long time Royals fan, I always dread the month of June. Sure the team gets a good start going in April and generally does well in May. But man, it's those June road games that really test my moral fiber.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    cckerberos wrote: »

Same same, they were trending on twitter with how bad they'd been and I was like "yeah you suck now, but you won't when you open your wallet but FUCK YOU FOR NOW LOSERS!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

I mean they are the cheapest payroll in baseball*

*(as a percent of TV revenue)

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Its april, lot of teams (cough mariners) start decent and hit the suck skids, dunno if thats something the brewers do, but you can't take early season to mean shit, you can't win the world series in april.

Until the travel schedule starts to kill us yea. Though our 6th rotation pitcher might do that before that. (i think this is a way to reduce the schedule issues by giving starters more rest but not sure)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Wait, a 6th rotation guy?!

I thought all the good teams had 3 rotation guys and then just stitched together 3 bullpen dudes in a trench coat until it was time to start the rotation again

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

Looking at payrolls, I had no idea that the Dodgers' was 25% higher than the Yankees'.

And, damn, the Mariners are cheap.

cckerberos on
    cckerberos.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Yeah I went from hating the Yankees for buying a bunch of dudes to *very briefly* rooting for them against the Rays in last years yoffs (because of the “don’t reward cheap rosters” idea) to then learning that a better measure of how teams spend in MLB is looking at payroll as a percent of tv revenue, and now I hate the Yankees more than ever because everyone else is chasing their ludicrous EDIT 29% ratio (based on 2018)

Captain Inertia on
  • Options

Looking at payrolls, I had no idea that the Dodgers' was 25% higher than the Yankees'.

Mariners have always had a lot of money they don't really spend outside of buying Juicing Cano.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Oh also the NBA and NFL players get 50% and 48.8%, respectively

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Mariners are re-building. It's not the right year for them to spend big on free-agents.

If they're not going for it in the next few years then yeah, they're cheap. Or all their prospects failed to pan out because their player development is garbage.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

A's fans say hi.

/sobs quietly in the corner

• Options
    admanb wrote: »

Mariners are re-building. It's not the right year for them to spend big on free-agents.

If they're not going for it in the next few years then yeah, they're cheap. Or all their prospects failed to pan out because their player development is garbage.

Twenty plus years of rebuilding it feels.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Nah were perennially cheap even when making big buys. I don’t think we cracked 50% in spending the year after we got Cano and almost immediately started rebuilding. We will spend, but only on crowd favorites and we will shed payroll elsewhere to do it.

We dicked Hasegawa out of his interpreter as an example. (Came out during the Mariners Preisdents talk during a fucking rotary club round table.)

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

Nah were perennially cheap even when making big buys. I don’t think we cracked 50% in spending the year after we got Cano and almost immediately started rebuilding. We will spend, but only on crowd favorites and we will shed payroll elsewhere to do it.

We dicked Hasegawa out of his interpreter as an example. (Came out during the Mariners Preisdents talk during a fucking rotary club round table.)

Well, the Nintendo of America years have to be thought of separately. They were absolutely trying to treat the Mariners like a fuckin' minor league team where everyone's just there to have a fun time at the ballpark, but by 2018 the Ms were the eighth highest payroll. They fall off after that for obvious reasons.

You can't predict the next few years based on the Nintendo era.

• Options
    The Mariners President bragging about how cheap they were was this summer.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    are you telling me Nintendo fucked up the Mariners in exactly the same way they refuse to support the Smash comp scene

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    are you telling me Nintendo fucked up the Mariners in exactly the same way they refuse to support the Smash comp scene

Eh they haven't been a majority owner for a long time, the mariners are just a cheap org in a market that's loyal but won't ever see success.

Like get ready for that end of april losing streak, probably equal the a's winning streak at least 13 games.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The Mariners President bragging about how cheap they were was this summer.

being cheap jackasses in that way, which most teams are (how many furloughed their employees they could easily pay? How many shut down a bunch of minor league teams?) is completely different from being cheap on the payroll. The former is just good old-fashioned capitalist nickel-and-diming, the latter is a calculation about how team performance will affect income.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Had to take my wife to Mayo this week for some scans and stuff, so of course we've resumed getting her MLB passport filled out.

y698aogdilp9.jpg
    She is on cloud 9

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Had to take my wife to Mayo this week for some scans and stuff, so of course we've resumed getting her MLB passport filled out.

y698aogdilp9.jpg
    She is on cloud 9

One day I'm going to start the same. How's the park?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    First time to Target Field so all I can say is I think it's great, but can't compare it to anything.

Last time I was at a Twins game I lived here and was much smaller and it was at the Metrodome.

• Options
    Who are they playing today?

I love ball parks. I really need to visit some, when the pandemic is better.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Good lord I forgot it was open air

Do the Twins start on a giant away trip each season?

• Options
    Who are they playing today?

I love ball parks. I really need to visit some, when the pandemic is better.

Rangers.

Also, okay, now I understand your earlier question.

It's a pretty good field, I like the layout. Here's a picture of where you come in from the parking garage, which is pretty sweet:p6uob4rqxqsw.jpg
    Concessions-wise, I'd say it pales in comparison to Busch Stadium or Wrigley but I dunno if that's the pandemic or not.

As far as covid is concerned, everyone is wearing masks, seating is sold in pods of 2-4 seats that are distanced, unsold seats are zip-tied so nobody can cheat, yet it feels like a full stadium when the Twins pitcher gets his backwards K.

• Options
    Good lord I forgot it was open air

Do the Twins start on a giant away trip each season?

It is cold but the AC in our hotel room wasn't working when we left and I need it cold all the time because I'm secretly Albert Bell.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Went to an Orioles game a couple weeks ago, it was ... strange with such a small crowd, but like still having that kind of "beginning of the season, so there's a chance" energy.

... And I got my first foul ball ever! :) Probably helped a bit since they were only at 25% capacity. ;)

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Target Field addendum:

If you take the elevators to the 2nd floor, they have a bit of a museum showing floor plans and a model of the stadium. And then if you head to the bar, which in hindsight is really where the fun is, they have all their trophies and stuff.

Which is also where I got to see this, bringing me back to my childhood:

allsrxokl34q.jpg

When I was a little Thawmus I remember Kirby Puckett being synonymous with Jesus Christ. Kirby Puckett candy bars were the candy bar of choice for every kid I knew back then.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Aww shit, that's my park. If any of you make it again, and there are concessions (I haven't been during Covid), get Kramarczuk's. Brat or polish, ask for extra everything, make a mess. It's the best. (Butcher and the Boar is ok at the park - the restaurant is fantastic).

And yes, we watch baseball in stocking hats and Bernie mittens.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
This discussion has been closed.