As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Daredevil] is a Man Without A Tv Show

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Kana wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Something I totally didn't notice, ep 9
    Look at the bloodstain on Frank Castle's shirt
    w46md3eldf39.jpg

enhanced through the technological power of MSPaint...
    iu0x7yko5pbf.jpg

oh shit

now i'm looking at the other image like that god damn white/gold/black/blue dress because now i can't not see it.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Looking at the Batman v Superman trailer, I can't help but see the similarities between the Wonderman actress and the Electra actress.

Elodie Yung was in the running for Wonder Woman, before they hired Gal Gadot. Personally, I think she got the better deal with the MCU.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Up to Ep. 6 now. This is rocking my Goddamn socks off.

I have to say, though, I have a huge caveat about where things have gone:
    I do not generally like the phrase, "This feels too comic book-y," because that statement implies that somehow comic books aren't a legitimate form of art / literature. It's not much different than some people denigrating video games as just being things for kids.

However, this developing new arc with Frank is what people are touching on when they say things like that. Can it just be that The Punisher was created when a former marine came home, dealing with PTSD, only to have his family massacred & be left to die? Of course not! It MUST tie into some larger conspiracy, because lol comic books.

It robs the story of it's otherwise grounded nature & poignancy. It also risks re-contextualizing the entire theme of the arc, which was largely about death & violence not being a solution to problems in the world.

I honestly hope this conspiracy angle somehow ends-up being a dead end, because I hate this garbage about how there must be some mastermind behind it all. No, there really doesn't. Sometimes shitty things just happen, Marvel.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Finale
    I didn't like it :( . The episode leading up to it had been so rock solid. Whoever said it felt like more of a mid-season finale was spot on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

I do not generally like the phrase, "This feels too comic book-y," because that statement implies that somehow comic books aren't a legitimate form of art / literature. It's not much different than some people denigrating video games as just being things for kids.

However, this developing new arc with Frank is what people are touching on when they say things like that. Can it just be that The Punisher was created when a former marine came home, dealing with PTSD, only to have his family massacred & be left to die? Of course not! It MUST tie into some larger conspiracy, because lol comic books.

It robs the story of it's otherwise grounded nature & poignancy. It also risks re-contextualizing the entire theme of the arc, which was largely about death & violence not being a solution to problems in the world.

I honestly hope this conspiracy angle somehow ends-up being a dead end, because I hate this garbage about how there must be some mastermind behind it all. No, there really doesn't. Sometimes shitty things just happen, Marvel.

I get the feeling that
    the conspiracy surrounding Frank will be related to IGH and that group Will Simpson was working with.

• Options

I get the feeling that
    the conspiracy surrounding Frank will be related to IGH and that group Will Simpson was working with.
    If that's true that's possibly going to effect three Netflix series, I suspect they'll be heavily involved with Luke Cage. Maybe they're going to be the villains in the Defenders.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvV0SG4THJg

I wasn't the only one that this immediately came to mind for, right?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016

As someone who works with veterans, some of which have PTSD, TBI, and a host of other problems, if anything I think it's the opposite.
    The fact that people blow off any legitimate explanation and just use PTSD as a shorthand for "fuckin crazy" is not only really sad, and lazy from the writing standpoint (mentally ill people still think logically even though that logic is fundamentally flawed), but also pretty fucked up.

PTSD doesn't turn you into Rambo, and the public perception of Veterans and PTSD sufferers causes a lot of extra problems for both groups that neither needs to deal with.

The fact is that the person most likely to be killed by someone with PTSD is themselves. The public perception of PTSD as something that turns normal people into psychotic killers makes people unwilling to talk about it and get help. Because of this perception of PTSD and of the percieved connection between veterans and PTSD makes getting a job just that much harder for both groups, as well as getting medical coverage and the person's willingness to seek medical care or to talk about it at all.

Having Frank turn down the PTSD defence was one of the greatest blows the show could strike and they did it wonderfully and believably.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote:
    Having Frank turn down the PTSD defence was one of the greatest blows the show could strike and they did it wonderfully and believably.

I wholeheartedly agree.
    I especially loved the dialogue he used, saying that using such a defense was an embarassment to the people actually suffering through it. The whole thing did a great job of emphasizing that Frank does have the capacity for heroism and self sacrifice - it's just been tied up and given a double tap to the skull as a result of all the loss he's suffered.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Season 2 Spoilers
    I kinda hope Daredevil is through with Fisk and the next time we see him it's Fisk vs Punisher in Punisher's own series.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Man, I seriously hope they do a Punisher series. After seeing him in this season, I'd be absolutely ecstatic if they give him his own show.

• Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    Season 2 Spoilers
    I kinda hope Daredevil is through with Fisk and the next time we see him it's Fisk vs Punisher in Punisher's own series.
    Nah. the first season was the "origins" of both Kingpin and Daredevil, the next time they meet it'll be as their true comic counterparts. Then shit gets real. Plus it'd nicely tie into Karen's past via "Born Again".

On ep 6. Elodie Yung is electrifying, I like her better than in the comics, first time this happened in this series was with Karen in season 1. To bad Hollywood has been misusing her amazing acting talent until now - this is a lady with a bright future ahead of her.

• Options
    I hope they greenlight an Elektra series.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    I hope they greenlight an Elektra series.

I hope they greenlight a Wilson Fisk series.

• Options
    Oh God. Ep. 9.
    I love how Nextflix Marvel is just straight-up doing this. Previous episodes had Murdock fully acknowledge the absurdity of it so that we had time to strap ourselves in, and now here we are, confronted head on by the fact that the man we saw literally burn to death is back. And he is as back as fuck.

I feel like they took a page out of the best X Files moments to make this work (and I know that not everyone is going to agree it works, but for me, it just does.

I'm sorry (I'm not sorry), but this shit is bangin'. This is exactly what comic book film / TV always should have been, and what every srs bsns studio exec was too busy being terrified of to even try out when they first dipped their toes into superheroes.

'But it's duuuuuumb!'

No, Hollywood, plagiarising the same Goddam script over and over again for decades on end is dumb. Pooping on a very broad literature culture & art medium because it's not 'sophisticated', so unlike the garbage that involves lying to the audience about history, society & science that gets shoveled into theatres as Academy Award bait every summer, that is what is dumb.

This is smarter, sassier & a greater tribute to the arts that came before it than anything in recent memory.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Season 2 spoilers
    If I have one complaint about the season's general structuring, it's that the Punisher/Reyes/Blacksmith arc and the Elektra/Stick/Hand arc stay too separate for too long. Frank should have killed the Blacksmith, got the skull armor, and joined DD and Elektra in a big ninja fight by the beginning of Episode 12, at least, not the last 2-3 minutes of the climax.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Hm.... just some general (spoilery) waffling:
    ...Killing The Hand doesn't count, right? I mean I guess it's kind of irrelevant as far as Elektra goes because she's a sociopath anyway who would also happily kill real people - but The Hand doesn't count. Would anyone argue otherwise?

They come back. Death is literally just a momentary inconvenience to a member of The Hand (well, unless their boss decides not to resurrect them I guess), so it seems to me that the standard ethics surrounding murder no longer apply. It's honestly probably even more benign (depending on how quickly they go down) than Matt beating them up, because at least they feel less pain that way.

So... as far as the show is concerned, Elektra's not really a killer at all? I mean, she boasts about previous kills and stuff, but we're never shown that.

I guess there's the guy who Stick sent to whack her, but c'mon, that's not exactly cold blooded murder.

I think Matt's objections to killing are irrational at best in this special case.

EDIT: The above being said....
    It's such a marvelous form of poetry here (probably unintended, best the best poetry always is) that The Hand is unkillable, and thus the 'well why not just execute them to make them go away forever!' is incoherent nonsense. Literally the only solution is to put them behind bars because killing them accomplishes nothing. They just come back.

Elektra, my dear, are you seriously asking Matt if he's going to kill Nobu? Nobu ALREADY DIED. That ship SAILED, sister. The only sensible thing to do is put him in a tightly locked box. Fortunately, by virtue of happenstance, the existing judicial system has a few of those laying around.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Season 2 spoilers
    If I have one complaint about the season's general structuring, it's that the Punisher/Reyes/Blacksmith arc and the Elektra/Stick/Hand arc stay too separate for too long. Frank should have killed the Blacksmith, got the skull armor, and joined DD and Elektra in a big ninja fight by the beginning of Episode 12, at least, not the last 2-3 minutes of the climax.
    Yeah.

When Daredevil and Elektra stepped out and saw all those ninjas lined up on the roof, I kept expecting to hear the sudden whir of a minigun winding up behind them.

But I guess having all the ninjas get mowed down by modern weaponry would've been kinda anti-climactic for a final confrontation.

RT800 on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Season 2 spoilers
    Yeah.

When Daredevil and Elektra stepped out and saw all those ninjas lined up on the roof, I kept expecting to hear the sudden whir of a minigun winding up behind them.

But I guess having all the ninjas get mowed down by modern weaponry would've been kinda anti-climactic for a final confrontation.
    eh, there's always a sensible or organic way to do it.
    D&E punch their way through 20 or so ninjas to face nobu, nobu's slowly losing but then triumphantly claims that "the hand is endless", at which point a hundred or so ninjas jump off an adjacent building onto their roof, matt turns around, grits his teeth, prepares for his end but nope, before said ninjas can close on their position there's a hail of gunfire off a different rooftop; frank and his gatling!

Would have been aweeeeeesooooome.
    It does feel like they ran out of time/money; frank clearly nods towards matt but matt isn't even looking.
    odd cut.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Season 2 spoilers
    Yeah.

D&E punch their way through 20 or so ninjas to face nobu, nobu's slowly losing but then triumphantly claims that "the hand is endless", at which point a hundred or so ninjas jump off an adjacent building onto their roof, matt turns around, grits his teeth, prepares for his end but nope, before said ninjas can close on their position there's a hail of gunfire off a different rooftop; frank and his gatling!

It does feel like they ran out of time/money; frank clearly nods towards matt but matt isn't even looking.
    odd cut.
    Why would Matt be looking? :razz:

Punisher firing the minigun definitely felt missing though. Especially with how much they liked to show him carrying that absurd, awesome thing in promotional materials.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Season 2 spoilers
    Yeah.

odd cut.
    Why would Matt be looking? :razz:

Punisher firing the minigun definitely felt missing though. Especially with how much they liked to show him carrying that absurd, awesome thing in promotional materials.
    well he looked AFTER, so you tell me! :P

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Finished it last night, pretty much agree with the comments here. Really good season, great cast. I never quite connected with Elektra, though.

General thoughts on Elektra's character:
    Reminded me a lot of Jessica Jones; supposed to be this kick-ass force, but she always seemed to need help or get weakened much quicker than DD. Just seemed to be made more vulnerable.

Even when fighting beside DD it was like she was the damsel in distress despite her more violent background.

Is that how they are, or is that how the male characters see them? Karen who is also very strong, still kept getting 'saved' by the men.
    Was it just me, or others get that impression?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Episode 9:
    Anyone else finds it really naive that when Kingpin dies, Fisk just takes his place immediately, whch apparently means he has total control over prison letting him set Punisher free, even though it was said that he is low on money?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Could be that
    it was pre-paid for the month, like Nelson & Murdoch's utility bills

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Episode 9:
    Anyone else finds it really naive that when Kingpin dies, Fisk just takes his place immediately, whch apparently means he has total control over prison letting him set Punisher free, even though it was said that he is low on money?
    Remember back in season 1 when a man smashed his own head through a metal spike after having given out Fisk's name? He might be low on resources at the moment, but people know who he is and what he's capable of, and they fear him. Drug kingpin's biggest mistake was that he didn't.

It all might've happened a tad quick, but the moment the drug kingpin died and Fisk declared that the drug trade is now his, who's gonna say otherwise?

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Episode 9:
    Remember back in season 1 when a man smashed his own head through a metal spike after having given out Fisk's name? He might be low on resources at the moment, but people know who he is and what he's capable of, and they fear him. Drug kingpin's biggest mistake was that he didn't.

It all might've happened a tad quick, but the moment the drug kingpin died and Fisk declared that the drug trade is now his, who's gonna say otherwise?

Punisher Spoiler:
    Who is gonna say otherwise indeed? Punisher pretty much killed or put out of commission that entire cell block and probably with it most of that former Kingpin's power base. Fisk probably just got a bunch of startup income and paid off guards from that as well, if the money that was being counted is any indication.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Finished it last night, pretty much agree with the comments here. Really good season, great cast. I never quite connected with Elektra, though.

Reminded me a lot of Jessica Jones; supposed to be this kick-ass force, but she always seemed to need help or get weakened much quicker than DD. Just seemed to be made more vulnerable.

Even when fighting beside DD it was like she was the damsel in distress despite her more violent background.

Is that how they are, or is that how the male characters see them? Karen who is also very strong, still kept getting 'saved' by the men.
    I think Wesley would disagree that Karen always gets saved by men... (While there are instances where Karen needs to be saved there are just as many where she has her own agency and saves herself).

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

I think Wesley would disagree that Karen always gets saved by men... (While there are instances where Karen needs to be saved there are just as many where she has her own agency and saves herself).
    Elektra also clearly isn't operating at her full capability, what with secretly being evil ninja Jesus. She still handles herself just fine. She throws down with Stick without getting too beat up, which isn't something Matt managed. Also, she is very highly trained, but it's not clear that she's spent the last year in near constant life or death combat like Matt has. He's got to be in extremely good shape and a seriously bad ass fighter to still be alive when he's going up against multiple armed gang members night after night for this long. I think the two of them are just different enough that judging her abilities through the lens of Matt's isn't terribly helpful.

For Karen, she's plenty badass on her own for a non-combatant. She saves Grotto from the frickin' Punisher. She takes on the NY DA's office basically singlehandedly. She's the reason the cops show up to the warehouse and everyone escapes at the end. She's just totally outclassed when it comes to fighting, which is fine. Foggy or the editor would be, too. The cast of characters is broad enough that not everyone is going to be magical ninja gods. In terms of raw personal bravery, Karen's in the top tier of characters in the MCU right now.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Really, if anything bugged me about this season (which I'm currently rewatching) its that
    this property still has no fucking idea how sai work. Absolutely none at all. It's kind of impressive in it's own way how deeply wrong they are about that specific weapon.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Yea I thought that was way too obvious a nod to the uniform and totally unnecessary given what comes later. (Not sure why this didn't post yesterday)

Overall I enjoyed the pacing of this season a lot more than the first but it still suffers heavily from those issues. Also some of the cameos seem only there to ensure that we don't forget these other characters:
    seriously why is Gao here other than for an Iron Fist series?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    ED! wrote: »
    Yea I thought that was way too obvious a nod to the uniform and totally unnecessary given what comes later. (Not sure why this didn't post yesterday)

Overall I enjoyed the pacing of this season a lot more than the first but it still suffers heavily from those issues. Also some of the cameos seem only there to ensure that we don't forget these other characters:
    Set up for Iron Fist, Daredevil's is where she fits in the most between the Netflix series.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Setting up for the stakes in Defenders.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

Nah, there's really no problem there.
    In this season, Electra is Season 1 Daredevil. She's damn good, but she's also flesh and blood, and every hit she takes slows her down and reduces her fighting ability. Matt, meanwhile, is her equal in fighting ability AND wearing a suite of armor that in some places is strong enough to protect him from gunfire. He's taking significantly less damage than Electra is in every fight, and because of that he's in better shape at the end of the fights, so he's the one "saving" her.

If you gave Electra the Daredevil armor and put Matt back in his black clothes from Season 1, Electra would be "saving" him every fight.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Goddamn, s2e3 was just shit-hot from start to finish. After going finishing the season last night, I can easily see that one being the one I revisit multiple times.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Season 2 spoilers
    Yeah.

But then frank could have said
    Those assholes brought swords to a minigun fight.
    Which would have been goofy snf ptobsbly out of character, but it would still be awesome.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Episode 9:

The timeline is a bit weird and all over the place.
    We don't actually know how long Fisk has been in prison. However, when he asked his attorney to pay the rent for the family of one of the inmates, he was still wearing white. That means he was still a newbie in prison. So he's been working on taking over the prison for quite a while by the time the Punisher go there.

I wouldn't be surprised if
    Madame Gao ended up being the real main villain for the Defenders rather than the Hand. She pretty much played everyone last season.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »

Elektra also clearly isn't operating at her full capability, what with secretly being evil ninja Jesus. She still handles herself just fine. She throws down with Stick without getting too beat up, which isn't something Matt managed. Also, she is very highly trained, but it's not clear that she's spent the last year in near constant life or death combat like Matt has. He's got to be in extremely good shape and a seriously bad ass fighter to still be alive when he's going up against multiple armed gang members night after night for this long. I think the two of them are just different enough that judging her abilities through the lens of Matt's isn't terribly helpful.

For Karen, she's plenty badass on her own for a non-combatant. She saves Grotto from the frickin' Punisher. She takes on the NY DA's office basically singlehandedly. She's the reason the cops show up to the warehouse and everyone escapes at the end. She's just totally outclassed when it comes to fighting, which is fine. Foggy or the editor would be, too. The cast of characters is broad enough that not everyone is going to be magical ninja gods. In terms of raw personal bravery, Karen's in the top tier of characters in the MCU right now.

Agreed. For Karen, my initial comment was that it seems like the men feel the need to save/protect her, but yeah - totally doesn't need it. Sorry if that didn't come across.

I guess comparing the two, Karen came across as much tougher and more capable than Elektra which is strange considering her supposed history. Maybe it was just that Elektra has been fighting more with paper and 007 gadgets like when we first met her.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    With how they've not shied away from some comic book as hell things in both Daredevil and Jessica Jones, I'm starting to wonder if we'll see the actual Iron Fist origin when his series comes around.

If so tho, I hope they put aside a proper chunk of budget for the dragon.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Karen (episode 3)
    basically went full Sarah Connor in her protection of Grotto.

Like she was getting shot at by a ruthless murder machine and rather than just bugging the fuck out to save her own ass, she repeatedly put herself between Grotto and the Punisher and helped the guy get away for no other reason than it was the right thing to do.

Karen is a bad ass.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Feels like they tried to do too much with Elektra.

*general DD spoilers*
    Particularly introducing her and then immediately doing the death scene ten episodes later with some asshole who isn't Bullseye. Should have waited a season or two and then done it right.

That was kind of his thing that made him one of Matt's most hated enemies but I guess we're going to have to wait for him to kill Karen with the billy club. Bah.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile