As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A new Bloodborne threa-ah fuck I died

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Yeah, Tonitrus is a decent strength weapon on its own(B scaling when upgraded) with free lightning buff against kin and stuff that's weak to it. Its problems IMO are the durability is too low to be a primary weapon, and that it has a generally boring moveset that doesn't change when you transform it.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    from the wiki:
    • When buffed this weapon has the highest scaling of any stat (higher than S scaling) with its 1.4x Arcane scaling.
    • Its damage is split between Physical and Bolt meaning that it scales with Strength, Skill and Arcane at the same time.
    • The self-buff with L1 does'nt only add a fixed amount of bolt damage, but also varying amounts of damage depending on the Arcane stat of the user and the Bolt damage of the weapon, blood gems multipliers included. The buff works as follows: +40 Bolt Attack, 1.4x Arcane scaling, 1.7x Bolt Attack.

The 1.7x bolt scaling works off +bolt and +bolt% on gems too. shit can get upto 900 AR with the right gems, but even with just STR gems its quite potent. So if you wanted to eventually pump points into arc the weapon would just get stronger.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I really really really wish you didn't have to redo all the chalice dungeons with a new character. It's boring enough going through the same damn labyrinth layout 3x each.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I'm hoping the promised changes to make chalice dungeons more accessible is to make unlocks shared across save files, somehow

edit: or at least start you at when chalices get interesting, like cursed pthumeru defilement

edit: or make gem farming a lot easier, at the very least.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    I maintain that the chalice dungeons are garbage. Having a boss for the platinum trophy behind them was expected, though unfortunate. Having farming them for RNG loot be the only way to get the best blood gems in the game was an awful design choice. They bore me to tears, and I can't bring myself to do them again after the one time I did them. There are some fun boss fights in there, but the awful formulaic layout of the dungeons themselves is such a tiresome bore to me, and is really the only such area in all of the Soulsborne games for me.

• Options
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    The only thing I don't like about Kirkhammer(same applies to Ludwig) is that the 1h mode is weak as shit. It has an okay moveset but as far as 1h movesets go it's pretty bad and weak.

The main problem(for me) on the Kirkhammer is that since they made LHB blunt when it's 2h, it's basically a better Kirkhammer with better scaling. You get a better moveset on the 2h Ludwig and it's all blunt except the charged r2 thrust, it does the same job, with better range, better moveset, better scaling.

LHB was honestly made too good, and that's coming from somebody who loves greatswords in souls games and did my whole first playthrough/NG+ with LHB.

eh? i found ludwig's 1h mode way stronger than the 2h. i mean, yes it does less damage per hit, but it has good range and is very quick. so the damage per second is just higher than the 2h. it doesn't stagger as well, but for some enemies and bosses it isn't necessary. a flurry of the 1h attacks was enough to stunlock gherman to the point where i finished the fight on my third try without even getting hit.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Ludwig's 1h mode is pretty bad. The dmg multiplier on its R1s range from 0.67 for dashing attacks to 0.70-.76 for R1 combos. If you want a high damage per stamina spent fast weapon, the 1h on Ludwig's is garbage. Something like Blades of Mercy utterly annihilate the DPS of the 1h Ludwig, and that's with only having to invest in SKL and not both STR and SKL.

If you're using Ludwig's, it should 100% be for the 2h mode. The Charged R2(the bread and butter of the weapon) is a 2.2 dmg multiplier and the follow up pancake is a 1.56. The fact that everything except the charged R2 and the 4th L2 is blunt means that a ton of enemies take extra damage from it, and it has a ton of heavy impact attacks so it staggers even large enemies.

The only heavy impact attacks the 1h even has are the leaping attack and the transform attack.

The 1h mode is fine against something like Gherman because he moves fast and doesn't require heavy impact attacks to stagger him. But that's just a case of an enemy where using the worse version of the weapon is better, increased by the fact that Gherman is easy to parry so you want your gun out. It doesn't change the fact that the 1h mode on LHB is statistically bad compared to every other 1h weapon outside Kirkhammer which is basically identically bad.

The main benefit of LHB is the immense range is has and huge damage multiplier. On most bosses, with proper spacing and timing you can hit charged R2s from outside their attack range for immense damage. If you're looking for a good 1h weapon that's fast and can stunlock enemies with normal impact attacks, stuff like BoM is the way to go. You could get the same damage output or higher with half the stat investment.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    I think blunt damage is overpowered.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    That has never not been the case in Souls games. Ah, Blessed Mirdan Hammer...

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Blunt was so good in Dark Souls 2 I felt like I was gimping myself every time I switched off my mace.

Fucking everything was weak to blunt in that game.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    generally speaking blunt weapons have good damage but poor movesets

however enemy ai is typically simple enough that this poor moveset downside only comes up in pvp

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I can't believe I waited this long to use the hunter axe. What an obnoxiously good weapon. Gascoigne was a joke.

• Options
    Butters wrote: »
    I can't believe I waited this long to use the hunter axe. What an obnoxiously good weapon. Gascoigne was a joke.

You're in the know, right?

• Options
    The world is my baseball

• Options
    generally speaking blunt weapons have good damage but poor movesets

however enemy ai is typically simple enough that this poor moveset downside only comes up in pvp

This is one of the key things that was made too strong about Ludwig's. For whatever reason, they decided a greatsword should be 95% blunt attacks, but of course it has a great moveset too.

• Options
    I too am doing a hunter's axe for the first time. I used it until I got Ludwig's on my first character, but I was a noob and didn't understand the combat engine of Bloodborne at that point. Hunter's axe is godlike. It's not just the charged R2 that's so great on it either. It's the transform attack combos that have nice impact, great range, etc. The L2s have that massive sweep too so it's great for crowd control.

• Options
    I feel like Ludwig's was designed for players like me that could not figure out a way forward in the game at first. My first character I hit a wall against Amelia, didn't like the saw cleaver much, and was pretty frustrated with the game. Then someone told me to try Ludwig's after I got help to beat the BSB and the game became way easier.

• Options
    I don't think Ludwig's was designed with that in mind. It's gated behind an optional boss and then an optional area, one the game never suggests you visit outside of a door that was closed being open, if the player even notices.

Also, at lower stat investments it's actually worse than a lot of other weapons. It's not until you start to hit high investments in both STR and SKL that the godlike scaling comes into play. Kirkhammer is a more "noob friendly" 2h weapon at lower levels.

Was probably just a case of the moveset being more your taste. The saw cleaver is actually great against Amelia because of the beast damage multiplier.

• Options
    Big ass range weapons seem to work great on her. I am guessing you can hit multiple hurt boxes? Ludwig's and the cane seem to be very effective at stunning her. Paarl too.

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Picked up a PS4 and this recently, beat the game at some point this weekend.

It was a lot of fun, the world and the combat and everything was great.

Loved the trick weapons and the flexibility having two of them gives you.

Ended up using the Threaded Cane I started with for the most part, just because it was so good.

A lot of the bosses were, admittedly, a bit too similar for tactics (shotgun/a few hits to the face, run up, stab, repeat), but the ones that were great really made up for it.

Highlights:
    I loved the Wet Nurse, that was a nice twist when everything went dark and suddenly she's everywhere. Threaded Cane's whip mode made it a bit too easy to hit the shadows before they could hit you, but her moveset made sure it was still a fun fight.

Also loved the Daughter of the Cosmos for the crazy design and the way her nastier attacks seem staggered, based on her hp, so that she keeps busting out the occasional surprise (this might have been my imagination/a coincidence, but it still made for a good fight).

Crowning moment was definitely Gehrman though. Not just because of the fight (which was fantastic), but because of where you fight him. Hands down the best boss arena in any of the Souls games, everything about it was perfect.

He's now probably my second favorite boss out of the Souls games, just behind Fume.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    threaded caaaaaannneeeee

• Options
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    psssssssttt

you didn't hear this from me

but apparently famitsu let slip details of one of the weapons not announced officially yet
    rYOZGPR.jpg
    translation is moonlight holy blade

• Options
    Welp, 100% know what i'm doing with my DLC character then. =)

• Options
    I really wanna try out that saw wheel thing.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i hope it's the arcane ludwig's holy blade, if it is i am b lining for that

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i really need to play bloodborne but I'm not done with DS2 yet. I'm very not done. Way behind.

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i really need to play bloodborne but I'm not done with DS2 yet. I'm very not done. Way behind.

now's a good a time as any with the dlc a few weeks away

• Options
    Melding wrote: »

My only worry is that if they take inspiration from the other "arcane" weapons it'll just be a physical/arcane split that can't be buffed with paper and it'll suck. I want it to deal pure arcane damage straight up. Otherwise it'll probably stay a worse arcane weapon than a gemmed Ludwig's. I guess we'll see.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »

My only worry is that if they take inspiration from the other "arcane" weapons it'll just be a physical/arcane split that can't be buffed with paper and it'll suck. I want it to deal pure arcane damage straight up. Otherwise it'll probably stay a worse arcane weapon than a gemmed Ludwig's. I guess we'll see.

i would assume it would be pure arcane, going off of dark souls and such. could be wrong, hope i'm right.

• Options
    well shit, its PS4 only. the only thing I don't have... nooooOOoooOooooo

oh well back to dark souls 2.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Sounds like a good reason to buy a ps4

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    Sounds like a good reason to buy a ps4

and they just had a price drop

• Options
    PSN Blog article about The Old Hunters, looks like the same info from the Famitsu article from the other day. Goes over new covenant(?) for co-op, new weapon.

Also if you have the platinum trophy or unlock it, you'll eventually get a code for a free PS4 theme (same one the eurozone got)

• Options
    i bought bloodborne on sale from amazon even though I dont even have a PS4

help i have no control over my body

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I'm not gunna be able to afford the dlc until either January or December if I get some Christmas money. Pretty bummed about it.

• Options
    I'm not gunna be able to afford the dlc until either January or December if I get some Christmas money. Pretty bummed about it.

there's always secret shamblers

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular