As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[sysadmin] sexy.code = new.underpants.required

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    The idea is great, don't get me wrong. I'm just not a fan of being asked to flat out tell them a lie. I'm more afraid of the backlash from some of the users being all "You lied to me" and shit. Users are stupid like that.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    And then when they say that you say: "That's the point of this exercise. Phishers aren't going to be honest with you."

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah that's just the job.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    My boss initiated a phishing test this morning from IT@domain.gov saying that a password reset was required and to click a link. I'm cool with that. What I think is a bit sketchy is that his response to everyone's email has been "We did not send that." The white lie could end up pissing some people off, including the executive staff (of which only 1 of them was aware that we were doing that). Saying "This is a bogus email. Please delete" would have been much better. I'm just not a big fan of blatantly lying about it.

I mean isn't that part of the test though?

I can see his point on not wanting to come clean about it. Does the link get logged and then the users who click it get training?

That actually sounds like a great idea if I worked in a bigger place but I know who'd fail it and who wouldn't here.

The link goes here.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Two things that had me shaking my head this morning:

1) I told a user how to remove people from a shared spreadsheet after unsharing it if those people are no longer connected as it'll make the spreadsheet smaller and speed up the opening it. I did this because about once every two weeks I need to do this. I thought it would save me some work. I get a call that the user removed people still on the spreadsheet (he never unshared it) and now people are getting they are no longer connected to the file error. Moral of that: if you teach a person how to fish, they will poke their eye out with the pole.

2) We need to repair a piece of equipment outside that had a IP address assigned to it. The equipment's software needed to be completely wiped and installed with new that an outside firm was going to do. They install the equipment and software come in here, and ask what the IP address was. We give it to them and they try to log into it. No connection. They mess around with some settings and such and still can't connect to it. Finally, they ask if that's the correct IP address. We check the sheet and say yes it is, can you double check on the equipment? Their response: "You didn't assign the IP to the software?" Ours: "You just installed the software, how could we assign it?"
    Theirs: "Hmm, I'll have to look up how to do that."

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    outright lying to people sucks, but yea, it can be part of the job. heck lying about a test phishing email is a pretty small white lie. I wish that's all I ever had to lie about.

Being in a department that by it's nature has access to privileged/sensitive information means that it is just part of life for us.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Part of why we're employed is because we're wizards to them.

Have you ever read a book where a wizard didn't lie?

• Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »

1) I told a user how to remove people from a shared spreadsheet after unsharing it if those people are no longer connected as it'll make the spreadsheet smaller and speed up the opening it. I did this because about once every two weeks I need to do this. I thought it would save me some work. I get a call that the user removed people still on the spreadsheet (he never unshared it) and now people are getting they are no longer connected to the file error. Moral of that: if you teach a person how to fish, they will poke their eye out with the pole.

2) We need to repair a piece of equipment outside that had a IP address assigned to it. The equipment's software needed to be completely wiped and installed with new that an outside firm was going to do. They install the equipment and software come in here, and ask what the IP address was. We give it to them and they try to log into it. No connection. They mess around with some settings and such and still can't connect to it. Finally, they ask if that's the correct IP address. We check the sheet and say yes it is, can you double check on the equipment? Their response: "You didn't assign the IP to the software?" Ours: "You just installed the software, how could we assign it?"

mac based static IP via DHCP is the way to go!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    My boss initiated a phishing test this morning from IT@domain.gov saying that a password reset was required and to click a link. I'm cool with that. What I think is a bit sketchy is that his response to everyone's email has been "We did not send that." The white lie could end up pissing some people off, including the executive staff (of which only 1 of them was aware that we were doing that). Saying "This is a bogus email. Please delete" would have been much better. I'm just not a big fan of blatantly lying about it.
    Man, I've wanted to do that for years. And have it ultimately redirect to a web page that logs their exact username.

But if someone asked about it, I'd probably be more likely to respond, "Thank you for asking rather than just blindly clicking on the link. I will give you more details at a later time." Because you better believe I'm going to keep statistics about how many people asked about it and how many people blindly clicked on it.

• Options
    Yeah, but if you let the cat out of the bag too soon the watercooler talk spins up and you don't catch as many people who would ultimately need to be trained.

You're not there to be anyone's friend. You're there to protect them and their computer systems.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    lwt1973 wrote: »

mac based static IP via DHCP is the way to go!

I had to explain to them about DHCP as they were confused about it.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    :?

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Yeah, but if you let the cat out of the bag too soon the watercooler talk spins up and you don't catch as many people who would ultimately need to be trained.

You're not there to be anyone's friend. You're there to protect them and their computer systems.
    Well, like someone else said, I know the people who will click on it vs. the people who will ask, and would tailor my email depending on the individual.

• Options

Well, like someone else said, I know the people who will click on it vs. the people who will ask, and would tailor my email depending on the individual.

I said that. I feel it only really applies to my small office environment.

In the stated test I would want it to be 100% identical and I would want it to be denied for a period of time. Otherwise why even bother running the experiment? You're trying to get data on who is and isn't an attack vector in your organization so you can train the ones who are.

Any specialized treatment of any users in that scenario runs the risk of contaminating the experiment.

• Options
    We ran into some people being upset that we hadn't sent a company-wide email about it. Someone actually took it upon themselves to do so and has apparently gotten pissy when one person (non-IT) said "You should just let IT do the IT stuff." She basically just ruined the last half of the project because of that email, so it's done the same damage as the watercooler talk.

Another interesting thing that we've discovered through this is that apparently people just run around like chickens with their heads cut off instead of talking to us about it.

• Options
    ...aaaand I almost sent an email to a user named Denis that started with "Hey Penis." Glad I saw that. I'm also not sure why I accidentally hit the P instead of the D, considering they are on the opposite sides of the keyboard.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    We ran into some people being upset that we hadn't sent a company-wide email about it. Someone actually took it upon themselves to do so and has apparently gotten pissy when one person (non-IT) said "You should just let IT do the IT stuff." She basically just ruined the last half of the project because of that email, so it's done the same damage as the watercooler talk.

Another interesting thing that we've discovered through this is that apparently people just run around like chickens with their heads cut off instead of talking to us about it.

See? Don't be mad at your Boss.

They just provided you with a Friday full of mirth and entertainment.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    ...aaaand I almost sent an email to a user named Denis that started with "Hey Penis." Glad I saw that. I'm also not sure why I accidentally hit the P instead of the D, considering they are on the opposite sides of the keyboard.

Because you were letting your true feelings stream forth.

• Options
    If I was going to conduct an experiment like this. I'd do it over the course of 3-4 weeks.

Hit 2-5 random people in different departments every other day.

Keep track of who is clicking the links, then after the month, give training to the people who fucked up.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Yeah, you pulled a real boner there.

Not sure how you mistyped that. Seems like a hard mistake to make.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Hey, I was coming clean

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

Hey, I was coming clean

maybe you're just gripping and yanking the keyboard too hard.....

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Complete with screen shot

okay, I think that I may have taken it too far

• Options

I said that. I feel it only really applies to my small office environment.

In the stated test I would want it to be 100% identical and I would want it to be denied for a period of time. Otherwise why even bother running the experiment? You're trying to get data on who is and isn't an attack vector in your organization so you can train the ones who are.

Any specialized treatment of any users in that scenario runs the risk of contaminating the experiment.
    Yeah, that's a good point. And honestly, I'd probably just not respond to emails until I'm done. But in any case, I've found that people who ask questions are not the people who will actually click on links. We've got around 750 employees, but only around 100 of them actually use it regularly. And then I can count about 10 who regularly do dumb stuff.

Actually, I kinda feel like this needs to be three (or more) different phases:
    1. Fake an email to look like it came from "IT" to reset your password
    2. Shocking news headline (We had one a few years back that multiple people clicked on that was a spoofed CNN.com email that said "Obama in campaign bus crash, feared dead." I don't know if you guys heard, but Obama's still alive.)
    3. Some local bank "reset your password"-type email

And roll it out 10 users at a time here or there so the talk doesn't get too loud. Also, yeah, now I'm on-board with just straight up lie to their faces. My supervisor's supervisor would totally be okay with us doing that if we had the time to work on it.

• Options
    Complete with screen shot

okay, I think that I may have taken it too far

The lovely day icon was custom made for this conversation.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    You guys are the best.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Hmm I just had an idea.

If you were to do these spam drills, like every month or two, you could foster a culture of people being legitimately wary of emails like that.

See, nobody really gives a shit if the company's at risk. They don't think they're going to get fired because how often does it really happen; that somebody lets in a virus and is caught and fired.

But you're not making them scared of viruses, you're making them scared of those jerks in IT dragging them into a boring security training.
    Think of it, the old hands telling the newbies "oh yeah you gotta watch out for spam emails, half the time they're from IT and they'll get ya."

People would actually care!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    That's the idea!

• Options
    We're actually going to be rolling out training like that to all departments this year. I think I'm the jerk that is heading the trainings.

• Options
    This is a pretty interesting story. Apparently there is a bluetooth skimming gang in Mexico that pays technicians to install these skimming cards in ATMs at resorts and such for the purpose of hacking bank accounts. The cool part is the bluetooth signals that they give out and how those signals are what tips you off.

Anyone, figured my fellow tech nerds would enjoy this.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    This is a pretty interesting story. Apparently there is a bluetooth skimming gang in Mexico that pays technicians to install these skimming cards in ATMs at resorts and such for the purpose of hacking bank accounts. The cool part is the bluetooth signals that they give out and how those signals are what tips you off.

Anyone, figured my fellow tech nerds would enjoy this.

We were literally talking about keyloggers and bluetooth earlier today. This is on a whole different level, of course, but.. man.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
  • Options
    Funny... I'd say 90% of the time I use that site is to see if Xbox Live really is down

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    20 mins ago:

So I'm sitting on the floor of one of our datacenters.

It's a raised floor, and the section I'm sitting in it's all open grills instead of solid tiles.

I'm changing the drive sled for a replacement drive on a machine. Tiny screws, don't even have a proper screwdriver, just my multitool.

Didn't drop a single screw. :cool:

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I would have dropped every single one.

i am the worst at keeping them safe

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I would have dropped every single one.

i am the worst at keeping them safe
    I just have the problem of being an incredible klutz. My mantra is "Yes, of course that just happened. Why would that not have happened?" I'm the type that would drop the screw, look around for it while still holding a part in place, nail my head on the rack, and then the part comes off that I was holding in place with enough skill to then lose the other screw. I'm that talented.

• Options
    I recently found about 18 laptop screws under my desk when they went to move it to repolish the floors.

• Options
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I recently found about 18 laptop screws under my desk when they went to move it to repolish the floors.

My philosophy is, the laptop will still work and we've saved the user from having to carry extraneous weight.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    So my job is not challenging me enough and if I don't find a way to engage then I'm going to burn out.

I think I'm going to just start using powershell for even the most mundane tasks this week just to add some challenge and learn a thing.

This discussion has been closed.