As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[sysadmin] sexy.code = new.underpants.required

• Options
    rwextremerwextreme Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    bowen wrote: »
    You should send hourly updates 2 days before you do that.

You must have smarter users, I swear mine ignore everything that comes from IT. I could probably blast an e-mail out with a serious subject line and in the body write "HAHA YOU'RE ALL FUCKING IGNORANT SHITS!" and still be employed the next day without anyone noticing what I wrote.

In other news, the project manager assigned for our email migration to hosted Exchange called to reschedule the discovery conference call scheduled early next week. They want to push it back to May 11th, a day several days after the salesperson we had been working with knew was our target for having the migration completed and promised would be no problem. They also seemed to have no clue they had also been contracted to take our existing contact and calendar data in XML format and migrate that to Exchange as well.

I just love salespeople who over promise to make the deal. Gives me something to not look forward to on Monday.

rwextreme on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'd have made a big site blocking announcement that only lets you through if you click a button acknowledging you read it.

Then when you click the button, it actually forwards you to the new site, and makes you bookmark it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    We even put a message up on the old system when you first log in that starting April 1, they'd have to use the new system. Here's a link to go register yourself!

In the past when we've had transitions like that we've always just made a DNS change so anyone attempting to access the old system reaches the new. Then when/where we have been able to on the new system, with a note added to the login screen for any pertinent information regarding the transition if it's web-based or use the LegalNoticeCaption for an app available via terminal services (ex. which URL to use in the future to access this, assuming somewhere down the line you're going to remove the old DNS entry). If anyone required access to the old system for any reason which we've had in a couple scenarios, we'll just setup a new DNS record temporarily and direct a few to the old host that way.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Yea, I've worked in a couple "go live" situations and we always specifically black out April 1 as a possible Go Live date when planning. Usually also March 31. Yes it is dumb as hell that we have to do it but I would *ever* do any kind of change like that on April 1. the internet has just made that day useless.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Yea, I've worked in a couple "go live" situations and we always specifically black out April 1 as a possible Go Live date when planning. Usually also March 31. Yes it is dumb as hell that we have to do it but I would *ever* do any kind of change like that on April 1. the internet has just made that day useless.

Pranks are dumb.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

Pranks are dumb.

Dicking with someone via GPO is classy.

• Options

Pranks are dumb.

Unless it's a prank you're pulling on your completely inept has no business working in IT whatsoever former co-worker. Always had a blast as he's "really busy" watching who knows what on Youtube as I login to the switch and randomly disable/enable his port.

"Hey guys, is your Internet working?"

"Yep, working just fine Logan."

• Options
    ... I'll allow it.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    xpost from Programming because I don't know how to thread good:
    I think this is the right place to ask about this. PowerShell scripting counts as programming...right?
    I'm updating a user+mailbox creation script and I'm using a switch inside a variable to have the creator enter the office location of the new user, then each appropriate response has an OU,DC path to drop the newly created user into the correct office/user folder.
    I've tried ordering it OU>DC, I've tried DC>OU, I've tried using a filepath name, I tried checking if I should use single or double quotes, and I can't for the life of me figure out what is stopping it from deploying correctly. Everything else that I have variable entries for works and the user gets created, it just gets dumped into the top Users directory and not nested down into the OU tree where it should go.

Anyone have experience with this?

More specifically the switch I'm working on (abridged):
    Function GetInput {
    $Office = read-host "Enter Office Location"
    Switch ($Office){
        'office1' {$Office = "OU=Users,OU=Location1,OU=Network Folder,DC=Company,DC=local"; break}
        'office2' {$Office = "OU=Users,OU=Location2,OU=Network Folder,DC=Company,DC=local"; break}
        (et al...)
        default {GetInput}
        }
    }
    GetInput

All the rest of the script works fine. I'm plugging the $Office variable into -OrganizationalUnit if that matters? I swear it worked once upon a time, so I don't know if it's a possible issue where a small configuration change on the server broke it, or if I'm just doing something wrong.

1) You don't necessarily need to break, since the conditions are unique and shouldn't evaluate more than one of them.

2) I'd recommend assigning to something other than what you're switching on (if you switch on $Office, don't change it mid-switch by assigning to $Office, assign to something separate like $OU).

If your function just needs to return it right away, and your switch is the last statement of the function, you don't need to assign anything at all actually. Looks like you might be trying that, or half-trying it right now?
    Function GetOfficeOU {
      $Office = read-host "Enter Office Location"
      Switch ($Office) {
        "office1" { "OU=Users,OU=Location1,OU=Network Folder,DC=Company,DC=local" }
        "office2" { "OU=Users,OU=Location2,OU=Network Folder,DC=Company,DC=local" }
        default { GetOfficeOU }
      }
    }

The switch gives you the OU or calls itself to query again, ultimately unwinding and returning the correct OU once you enter a valid input.

This might be the problem.

I'd pull it up in debugging mode and check a couple of things:

1. When you get to the part where it's going to create the user (I've never used powershell for exchange stuff so I don't know what this looks like) see what the $Office variable actually contains. Might be blank or have something weird in there. If it has what you want then...
    2. Your command might not be formatted correctly. Does it work if you reproduce it manually outside of the script?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Keep losing Atlanta site. Like packet storm and then it all drops for a split second. Phones reconfigure and come up happy but its intermittant. Trace it through the pnt router, through the switch to the main router. All traffic flows perfect till then.

its getting ugly, has been multiple days of flakeyness and its 4 in the morining and i just want it fixed.

Whats this mr. wireshark? almost 1/3 to half my packets are redirects? what do you mean the cisco nexus does those differently and it can cause problems? What do you mean VMware doesnt like this nexus icmp redirect nonsense either? >:[

So "No ip redircets" on the main vlan. Suddenly no longer dropping every 3rd to twentieth ping. Suddenly ping times are uniform and never over 30 ms.

Sweet baby jesus, please let this be it....

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I love calls in the middle of the night that boil down to the file server has hardware fried and I need to put the backup in place.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    yuck city man. At least its actual work vs like an unplugged printer?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    So I have a client I do side work for once every like 15-16 months.

They have virus issues. I've put them on the path to not having viruses, but they seem to replace hardware and never put antivirus on, and definitely don't practice safe browsing habits.

I wonder if I can sell them a solution that means I won't have to go and wipe viruses.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    So someone was out of town this week and emailed me about the new file server and how to access her files. She wanted step-by-step instructions on how to access her files and just had to cc my boss.

So I write them all out and send them to her.

I get an email back saying that when she tries to connect to them it errors out.

I ask her whether she followed STEP ONE: CONNECT TO VPN.

She emails back she's connected now with no issues.

lwt1973 on
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    So someone was out of town this week and emailed me about the new file server and how to access her files. She wanted step-by-step instructions on how to access her files and just had to cc my boss.

I get an email back saying that when she tries to connect to them it errors out.

Please tell me you CCed your boss.

• Options

She emailed just me the connected email but then I forwarded the message to my boss and let him know she was all set.

• Options
    Perfect.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular

This is why, if you CC lots of folks or The Big Guy, I will "Reply All" until my little heart's content. You wanna try to make me look like I'm not doing my job? Cool. Cool. I'mma make sure everyone's still CC'd when we determine that you're an illiterate numbskull whose salary would be better spent shoveled into a fucking boiler.

Guess who got emailed this morning with his boss, the client's boss, and the client's IT director all CC'd in? Me! Fortunately I came out with the upper hand there. Oddly enough, when I tell you on Friday that you'll need to print your contracts then so that they'll be included in the sync that'll happen Saturday, you should probably print them Friday (and not Sunday, like I can prove you did).

I've begun to dislike the concept of a CC in general. It seems like it is either used as described above, or where a BCC would be just as appropriate.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

This happens at least every other week here. THE SHORTCUTS ON THE DEPLOYED LAPTOP IMAGE ARE CLEARLY LABELED "1. VPN Login" AND "2. Map Drives"!!!

• Options
    Should just have a program that does all that work for them.

"Double click this to connect" then have it open the folder once connected.

• Options
    you think "step one, connect to VPN" is good, I had someone who called me asking why his VPN wasn't working. He was sitting in his car in some parking lot somewhere. So naturally no network connection. He did not understand that to connect to the VPN he needed some kind of internet connection. I tried to suggest he use his cell phone as a hotspot and he made it sound like I was suggesting he drive off a bridge and that he could not possibly be expected to do *something* in order for his VPN to work.

he then called his boss, who happened to be the VP of the company, to tell him that IT was keeping him from doing his job. the VP then called my boss, who then had to come ask me wtf was going on. I explained it verbally, than in an email so it was in writing.

Two days later there was a meeting with said VP, dumbass guy, my boss, and me, where we explained to the guy in as plain of english possible how cellular, wifi, and the internet work. That afternoon I ran into the VP again while grabbing a coffee, and he apologized to me for how much of an idiot that guy was.

3 months later that dude was fired, so interneting was not his only deficiency, apparently.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    That's right up there with "why are my faxes failing, the report says the line is busy?"

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    It's shit like that for which I inform my boss about almost immediately. That way, when he gets bitched to about someone being an idiot who is blaming me for their inability to operate like a normal person, he knows exactly what is going on. Sadly, the typical result is for his supervisor to claim that we'll sit down and talk about everything, but nothing ever happens which turns into a shampoo run: rinse and repeat. The idiot never learns and continues to perform the same stupid acts, which then blaming me follows.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    I just found out today that there is absolutely no hiring requirements for the receptionist staff here.

No GED, no high school, nothing.

Suddenly everything is making sense.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

Yeah, the person who used to admin the VPN would just manually copy and paste the remote login script for each user's auto-launch-when-on-the-VPN script...which never gets updated, say for instance when I change out file servers. That put a bad taste in my mouth for hard-coding anything automated like that, though I know I could just hard code a shortcut to the server batch file (which is exactly what "2. Map Drives" does). But man, if this company is investing extra money on you for a laptop, you should be able to figure out a two step process (three if you count getting on the internet).

• Options

Yeah, the person who used to admin the VPN would just manually copy and paste the remote login script for each user's auto-launch-when-on-the-VPN script...which never gets updated, say for instance when I change out file servers. That put a bad taste in my mouth for hard-coding anything automated like that, though I know I could just hard code a shortcut to the server batch file (which is exactly what "2. Map Drives" does). But man, if this company is investing extra money on you for a laptop, you should be able to figure out a two step process (three if you count getting on the internet).

Could probably call rasdial for the VPN and download a script from a server with the updated links, make them non persistent.

Relatively easy I guess.

• Options

Could probably call rasdial for the VPN and download a script from a server with the updated links, make them non persistent.

Relatively easy I guess.
    We use Sonicwall NetExtender, which has an "autorun" batch command area. What I'd do if I actually cared is to just put "start \\server\netlogon\login.bat" in that so that it always runs the updated version from the server. But still, ugh, users. They can deal with it.

• Options
    I just found out today that there is absolutely no hiring requirements for the receptionist staff here.

We've been making more of a point lately to keep pressing upper management about the fact that we're two IT guys handling all of the IT stuff, both simple as hell routine help desk tasks as well as administration and maintenance, and despite the fact they hired a full-time coordinator who just triages the calls and makes a ticket... we're still those same two guys. So the solution is... lets make our administrative assistants who already feel overworked and have terrible morale and make them "digital admins" who can handle basic stuff like mapping drives, adding printers, email setup, etc.

The significant majority of our administrative assistants are middle-aged at the youngest, many are pretty old.

There's so many ways this is going to fail, I can't wait!

• Options
    Oh... oh god.

• Options
    I demand a diary on how it goes.

• Options
    We use Sonicwall NetExtender, which has an "autorun" batch command area. What I'd do if I actually cared is to just put "start \\server\netlogon\login.bat" in that so that it always runs the updated version from the server. But still, ugh, users. They can deal with it.

I used to put a lot more time and effort into things like task automation, writing small programs to deal with common issues, step by step tutorials with screenshots and so on. I don't know how long I kept doing that before realizing that the overall intelligence of my end users seemed to decrease proportionately with the amount of effort I put in to trying to eliminate calls to the help desk for common shit. It finally clicked one day though, and I realized making everything as easy as possible only made my users even dumber so I stopped.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

They have virus issues. I've put them on the path to not having viruses, but they seem to replace hardware and never put antivirus on, and definitely don't practice safe browsing habits.

I wonder if I can sell them a solution that means I won't have to go and wipe viruses.

OpenDNS? Logon script that alerts if AV isn't installed?

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »

OpenDNS? Logon script that alerts if AV isn't installed?

I was thinking about setting up a router box with squidclamav.

• Options
    Offline file synching is odd.

My backup file server was using DFS for the backup of the files on it. Someone was using offline file synching on the old server to synch all the files on their laptop with those on the server.

When the old file server gave up its ghost, I put the backup server in play and it was all good. Come Monday, the offline files were access denied to the person and to the admin account. Seems that the synching was altering the permissions somehow and did not like it that they were on a new server. I grabbed ownership of the folder and then changed permissions for the folder and then they could access the entire folder.

• Options
    My office mate just got punked. upgrades internal dns server vm with more procs and mem. Doesnt work.

Turns out symantec message labs (external dns thingie) is busted today....

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Just got this email request (I'm paraphrasing here)

Lab Tech: I took this thing apart. I believe it's your group's domain to put it back together. (Tech had been advised NOT to take the thing apart previously)
    Me: No
    Lab Tech: But, I really think you should instead
    Lab Tech: (Now calling on the phone) Did you get my email?
    Me: Yes. The answer is still no.
    Lab Tech: I'll let you know when I get in so you can look at it.

Why can't I hurt people through the phone...

Huh...
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    If you've got Windows clients, DirectAccess saves a lot of hassle over using standard VPNs in most cases. Only caveat is that the applications on the client (not on the server) have to be IPv6 aware. Really old apps that only do IPv4 still require a standard VPN connection to work.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    FF wrote: »
    Just got this email request (I'm paraphrasing here)

Lab Tech: I took this thing apart. I believe it's your group's domain to put it back together. (Tech had been advised NOT to take the thing apart previously)
    Lab Tech: But, I really think you should instead
    Lab Tech: (Now calling on the phone) Did you get my email?
    Me: Yes. The answer is still no.
    Lab Tech: I'll let you know when I get in so you can look at it.

Why can't I hurt people through the phone...

"Did I fucking stutter?"

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I've never used DirectAccess but it looks like Server 2012 allows it to run over IPv4

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    rwextreme wrote: »

We've been making more of a point lately to keep pressing upper management about the fact that we're two IT guys handling all of the IT stuff, both simple as hell routine help desk tasks as well as administration and maintenance, and despite the fact they hired a full-time coordinator who just triages the calls and makes a ticket... we're still those same two guys. So the solution is... lets make our administrative assistants who already feel overworked and have terrible morale and make them "digital admins" who can handle basic stuff like mapping drives, adding printers, email setup, etc.

The significant majority of our administrative assistants are middle-aged at the youngest, many are pretty old.

There's so many ways this is going to fail, I can't wait!
    You know what's crazy about this? I've been hearing more stories along these lines (my shop is also just a two-man show) and it seems like companies are quick to hire extra help for other departments, but when it comes to IT asking for help they just shrug, give a high five and shout "You can do it!" as if that's going to help us out at all. I get that most people don't understand (or even care about) what we do, but that translates directly into not giving a damn about the department at all.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
This discussion has been closed.