As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GTAV/O... and 6?] - Return to Vice City in 2025

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Not single player progress but it let me port over my dude! Okay cool, thanks! And will do!

• Options
    Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    So, rumor has it that this car is possibly coming in a "holiday special" dlc, similar to the release of the two special cars from the halloween dlc. Here's hoping, cause I loved the Tampa in GTA4.

800px-Tampa-TBOGT-front.jpg

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Something not mentioned in the patch notes which I found out last night:

Players can no longer detonate remote bombs while inside non-combat zones (i.e. an apartment).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    So what is the VIP/bodyguard stuff exactly? The patch notes seem so vauge and I don't know if I want to reinstall.

At the least, it just sounds like a way for hackers to continue to wreck your time on a bigger scale.
    At the most, it sounds like there's a ton of gameplay added to open world...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Hah, this video came out in June, guess I must have been busy and missed it: (Really well made real-life GTA parody, driving down the LA storm drain with PS6-level graphics :P .)

• Options
    So what is the VIP/bodyguard stuff exactly? The patch notes seem so vauge and I don't know if I want to reinstall.

At the least, it just sounds like a way for hackers to continue to wreck your time on a bigger scale.

At the moment, I've seen 0 hackers in public lobbies. That will obviously change as time goes on and people get the trainers and crap updated and working again.

As for what the VIP stuff is, it's basically what GTAO Freeroam should have been to begin with. Prior to purchasing a yacht, you gain the option to rent out your services as a bodyguard for any VIPs within the same session as you. What this means is that you will get paid a certain amount over a given time period, and that amount will either increase or decrease based on how often, if at all, your employer dies. As a bodyguard, it's in your best interests to get in with someone fairly quickly, and then keep near them and protect them from roving bands of noobs in hydras, and then collect some serious bank later on. But beware, let your boss die too many times and you'll find yourself out of a job.

Once you purchase a yacht, and assuming you have at least 1m spare, you can register as a VIP and create your own small organization. It follows you between sessions, so long as you don't retire yourself as a VIP. As a VIP, you need to stay alive, so hiring bodyguards is important. You pay them out automatically as time passes, so it's important that you get them to do things for you so you get some use out of their contracts. You have a list of jobs that you can start that the bodyguards can work to complete within the world, such as going and stealing a bunch of vehicles from a police station and delivering them to a lockup in a different part of the map. You can also start up such events as a Boss V Boss Deathmatch, where the objective is fairly easy to guess. As a bonus, you can also spawn special VIP only items near you, like the limo with a minigun turret on the roof or armor/ammo drops. So it's in your interest to give your bodyguards these special benefits, but stay safe while they complete whatever jobs you send them on.

Now comes the fun part - others that are not part of your small organization get paid for doing the jobs that you start, if they can get to it before your bodyguards do. They also get money for murdering you, the VIP. So not only are the jobs fun for the group that starts them, but they involve the whole lobby and can be insanely hectic if a few other groups form up and start competing against each other.

So yea, it's been a ton of fun so far with my racing crew, since we don't normally do freeroam stuff all that often, but this gives us a group activity where we can be competitive against each other and still use our favorite vehicles and such to race to the objectives and so forth, all for cash/RP rewards.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So is it kinda impossible to get into jobs with randos? I keep trying quick job and get like, 2-4 people at a time in any of the jobs. Which for stuff like team deathmatch isn't that fun. I assume I just need to roll with a crew more often?

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    That VIP stuff sounds exactly like what I wanted out of free roam.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So is it kinda impossible to get into jobs with randos? I keep trying quick job and get like, 2-4 people at a time in any of the jobs. Which for stuff like team deathmatch isn't that fun. I assume I just need to roll with a crew more often?

Yea, trying to fill a lobby when just messing with pubbies is nearly impossible because the matchmaking is horrible. Finding a crew that does stuff you want to do isn't too hard, just gotta look around some, and it does really help in getting people together to do stuff. My racing crew, for example, has 20-30 people on every day for the daily playlist event that is run around 1pm est, plus the actual big scheduled events such as the F1 championship and Touring Car championship on fridays.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    It would be awesome if you could work for all that offline.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

At the moment, I've seen 0 hackers in public lobbies. That will obviously change as time goes on and people get the trainers and crap updated and working again.

As for what the VIP stuff is, it's basically what GTAO Freeroam should have been to begin with. Prior to purchasing a yacht, you gain the option to rent out your services as a bodyguard for any VIPs within the same session as you. What this means is that you will get paid a certain amount over a given time period, and that amount will either increase or decrease based on how often, if at all, your employer dies. As a bodyguard, it's in your best interests to get in with someone fairly quickly, and then keep near them and protect them from roving bands of noobs in hydras, and then collect some serious bank later on. But beware, let your boss die too many times and you'll find yourself out of a job.

Once you purchase a yacht, and assuming you have at least 1m spare, you can register as a VIP and create your own small organization. It follows you between sessions, so long as you don't retire yourself as a VIP. As a VIP, you need to stay alive, so hiring bodyguards is important. You pay them out automatically as time passes, so it's important that you get them to do things for you so you get some use out of their contracts. You have a list of jobs that you can start that the bodyguards can work to complete within the world, such as going and stealing a bunch of vehicles from a police station and delivering them to a lockup in a different part of the map. You can also start up such events as a Boss V Boss Deathmatch, where the objective is fairly easy to guess. As a bonus, you can also spawn special VIP only items near you, like the limo with a minigun turret on the roof or armor/ammo drops. So it's in your interest to give your bodyguards these special benefits, but stay safe while they complete whatever jobs you send them on.

Now comes the fun part - others that are not part of your small organization get paid for doing the jobs that you start, if they can get to it before your bodyguards do. They also get money for murdering you, the VIP. So not only are the jobs fun for the group that starts them, but they involve the whole lobby and can be insanely hectic if a few other groups form up and start competing against each other.

So yea, it's been a ton of fun so far with my racing crew, since we don't normally do freeroam stuff all that often, but this gives us a group activity where we can be competitive against each other and still use our favorite vehicles and such to race to the objectives and so forth, all for cash/RP rewards.

So basically, Goon Squad Olympics?

Awesome

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    E-gongaE-gonga Registered User regular
    Sorry, just a small correction; you don't need a yacht to become a VIP. You only need $1m in the bank.

• Options
    Festive Surprise stuff is active, so if you want to wear the different outfits, it's in the stores for free until the 5th. Also be on the lookout for a new car being added in during the event weekend at some point.

• Options
    http://youtu.be/C8c0AS8-W_Y

Been a while since I posted a video. I didn't plan this, just kind of happened, which is probably why it's so damn cool :D

• Options
    edited January 2016
    @E-gonga Wow. :o

I wonder if anyone on the shore died.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Anyone have insight on how GTA5 runs on a dualcore? yes I know the specs call for a quad core, but I don't have one. I have a g3258 overclocked to 4.4Ghz however.

Came into some disposable income today and was gonna buy it as its the last day of the sale, but the quad core requirement has made me hesitant.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Anyone have insight on how GTA5 runs on a dualcore? yes I know the specs call for a quad core, but I don't have one. I have a g3258 overclocked to 4.4Ghz however.

Came into some disposable income today and was gonna buy it as its the last day of the sale, but the quad core requirement has made me hesitant.

Sadly, the sale ended and the price is back up to $60. So if you hesitated for the 8 minutes after you made your post, you may want to hold off until the next sale.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Sadly, the sale ended and the price is back up to $60. So if you hesitated for the 8 minutes after you made your post, you may want to hold off until the next sale.

I knew the sale was gonna be over before I got a reply. I wasn't going to drop 35 bucks on something that might not even launch

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I logged into this over the holidays. The very first thing I noticed were random pedestrians and zombies loitering in my apartment's garage. The second thing I noticed was the "thwap thwap thwap" sound of hundreds of money bags and dead seagulls raining from the ceiling into a giant pile

Later that week a friend and I were fighting the police on the pier because we could. While cycling through our weapons, we eventually noticed that some hacker had given us every weapon including a rail gun. Then it started raining platinum coated battle tanks.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    I logged into this over the holidays. The very first thing I noticed were random pedestrians and zombies loitering in my apartment's garage. The second thing I noticed was the "thwap thwap thwap" sound of hundreds of money bags and dead seagulls raining from the ceiling into a giant pile

Later that week a friend and I were fighting the police on the pier because we could. While cycling through our weapons, we eventually noticed that some hacker had given us every weapon including a rail gun. Then it started raining platinum coated battle tanks.

Doesn't rockstar ban people for having hacked shit like that, even if it was forcibly given to you by a hacker?

I seem to recall that being in the news a few months back.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Banning people for being the innocent 'victims' of something like that would be a surefire trip to some really bad PR.

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Banning people for being the innocent 'victims' of something like that would be a surefire trip to some really bad PR.

Hence why it was such a hubbub a few months back.

• Options

Doesn't rockstar ban people for having hacked shit like that, even if it was forcibly given to you by a hacker?

I seem to recall that being in the news a few months back.

The weapons disappeared for my next play session , and I refrained from walking into the money pile because I assumed that it would raise some red flags.

I'm sure they're trying to ban the hackers, but I suspect that they're not very adept at it. I estimate that I either witness hackers first hand or see chatter in all chat about hacker antics in at least 40% of the random open lobbies that I get lumped into.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options

I knew the sale was gonna be over before I got a reply. I wasn't going to drop 35 bucks on something that might not even launch

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1308&amp;game=Grand Theft Auto V <-- put your shit in there, and hit the buttons relevant to finding out, and then it will tell you. The game has gone through quite a bit of optimization over the last few patches, and it runs like a champ on my setup now compared to running like a dogturd when it first released.

Even if you can't run it at 60fps+, the game is definitely worth 60$ for the single player stuff and that's 100% enjoyable at 30fps.

As far as hacker antics go, noone knows what sort of stuff gets you banned other than "ever been in a public lobby? you might get banned because reasons". I haven't had any issues with it because I avoid random people as a general rule, and this game is no exception to that. Find a crew that does stuff you enjoy and hang out with them in private lobbies and you won't have to worry at all.

• Options
    edited January 2016

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1308&amp;game=Grand Theft Auto V <-- put your shit in there, and hit the buttons relevant to finding out, and then it will tell you. The game has gone through quite a bit of optimization over the last few patches, and it runs like a champ on my setup now compared to running like a dogturd when it first released.

Even if you can't run it at 60fps+, the game is definitely worth 60$ for the single player stuff and that's 100% enjoyable at 30fps.

As far as hacker antics go, noone knows what sort of stuff gets you banned other than "ever been in a public lobby? you might get banned because reasons". I haven't had any issues with it because I avoid random people as a general rule, and this game is no exception to that. Find a crew that does stuff you enjoy and hang out with them in private lobbies and you won't have to worry at all.

I assume that site would tell you if the game is hardlocked for 4 cores, and wouldn't work on 2?

Also it doesn't have an option that I can find to enter the fact the CPU is massively overclocked.

But it says the game would be playable on mid-high settings, if it doesn't have a hardcoded core lock.

But I'd feel much more comfortable to hear from someone who actually has/does run it on a dual core (actual 2 cores, no hyper threading). If I can find hard core first hand reliable proof it'll launch on dual cores i'll probably pick it up spring sale.

edit
    forgot to say thanks for the link, Thanks

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    This happened to me this evening. It made it very hard to see where I was driving my motorcycle.

edit:
    http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/364029569321504946/460C6693D8BF44541C1B22A2DBBE173D97B113A9/

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I assume that site would tell you if the game is hardlocked for 4 cores, and wouldn't work on 2?

Also it doesn't have an option that I can find to enter the fact the CPU is massively overclocked.

But it says the game would be playable on mid-high settings, if it doesn't have a hardcoded core lock.

But I'd feel much more comfortable to hear from someone who actually has/does run it on a dual core (actual 2 cores, no hyper threading). If I can find hard core first hand reliable proof it'll launch on dual cores i'll probably pick it up spring sale.

edit
    forgot to say thanks for the link, Thanks

I have personally have no clue. I have seen a number of videos about it, and it looks like it's runnable and somewhat playable. The game is definitely pretty CPU intensive, though, as that's my current bottleneck for performance on my comp. You may want to wait until you can get a newer-ish quad core before picking up the game.

Edit - video of it running on a dual core amd athlon ii x2 250. It doesn't look that bad, and this was taken prior to the updates and optimizations, so it might actually run pretty good now.

Slayer of Dreams on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Anyone playing this on PS4? I got it as one of my gifts and started digging into it since my Destiny time is slowing a bit. Seems that there isn't many folks on in general for this game. Is it dead or do I need to get into a PA crew?

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    Masume wrote: »
    Anyone playing this on PS4? I got it as one of my gifts and started digging into it since my Destiny time is slowing a bit. Seems that there isn't many folks on in general for this game. Is it dead or do I need to get into a PA crew?

I'm on every now and then (bought myself a yacht, too)...but I stick mostly to friends-only sessions so I can focus on PvE missions (after watching Neebs and crew play in public lobbies, I vowed to never play in one of those...everybody's a butthole there).

• Options
    Masume wrote: »

I'm on PS4. I'm in England, however, so if you're on American time it's probably not worth PSFriending each other. My crew are all Yanks and I only ever see the buggers at the weekend >_>

The WANG crew on PS is pretty dead as far as I'm aware. There was only me, Zig and Isaac Car (golf legend) who were regulars, and I haven't seen Isaac since the PS3 days. I never did beat his golf score *sigh*

• Options
    Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    I have it for PS4, but I haven't broken the shrink wrap yet. If there's enough interest still, I'd be willing to import my PS3 character to PS4 and play with PA people.

SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • Options
    I find it fun to watch the insanity in some of the public lobbies.

Although my k:d ratio is in the toilet since I'm not a murder hobo like some of the people I encounter.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, could stand to maybe start up a new crew or something for those that got it late in the game. Seems about the only way to really play it online. :P

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    Ubisoft versus Rockstar + Modders (GTA 4 had it, now 5):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0eqpRWjIs0

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I tried doing some heists the other day with randoms. The first heist ran to completion (prison break). We had a lot of failures, but we eventually got it.

After that I had zero luck. It wasn't even that we failed the missions that often. People were just exceptionally quick to throw in the towel and leave. Then it's back to the queue.

Edit:
    I think some are suffering disconnects. Especially one person who I was helping with Fleeca job. I assume they were struggling to drive with keyboard and mouse, and they asked me to drive for the rest of the heist.

Then boom. Host left and I'm back to the free roam world.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I tried doing some heists the other day with randoms. The first heist ran to completion (prison break). We had a lot of failures, but we eventually got it.

After that I had zero luck. It wasn't even that we failed the missions that often. People were just exceptionally quick to throw in the towel and leave. Then it's back to the queue.

Edit:
    I think some are suffering disconnects. Especially one person who I was helping with Fleeca job. I assume they were struggling to drive with keyboard and mouse, and they asked me to drive for the rest of the heist.

Then boom. Host left and I'm back to the free roam world.

Yea, I've been noticing lots of disconnection issues with people lately. I know from my own internet issues that any kind of lag or connection hiccup will boot you out of whatever you might be doing and into either story mode or an empty lobby.

• Options
    I've recently been looking into a glitch forum for GTA (a decision made by the introduction of super-expensive yachts and a GTA bank account drained by successive DLCs) and it frustrates me that there are so many things you can only accomplish with glitches that R* could just as easily make available officially and legitimately.

Money glitches aside, the best glitches I've found are the two that enable me to insure a BMX (now patched) and place it in one of my car slots, and another which allowed me to save the cop outfit as one of my customised outfits. I don't know much about programming, but the fact that I've been able to do these two things surely means that buying a cop outfit or insuring a BMX can be added legitimately to the game? I've been fiddling around with the VIP / bodyguard outfits and, again, why have R* added these clothes to the game but then prevent you from buying legit? Pyjamas and dressing gowns were fun for a few minutes, but I would much rather have had the knee-length grey coat that comes with one of the VIP outfits. And the cowboy boots that the bodyguards can wear!

I want to be a cowboy, R*. Why are you cow-blocking me? :O

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So I finally got around to playing this heavily recently, I got about a quarter of the way in upon its original PS3 release but finally dug into the PS4 version

I really loved this game, goddamn

I loved the story too, but the thing is, in an effort to not lock myself out of content, I went with ending C

I replayed the story mission twice to do the other two endings, and now I'm sad that I didn't just finish up this missions beforehand and gone with choice A

I kinda hate that C is my official canon but whatever

Still, fantastic game

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    GTA Racing taken to a truly professional level, both in driver skill and post-race coverage. This is the first race of the second season of my crew's second most popular ongoing event series, Grotti F1. It showcases multiple viewpoints both from the racers themselves and a special spectator moving around to get more cinematic views of battles and corners throughout the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3IkJP75y7U