As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Only a Carpathian would be stupid enough to post in the [Trailers] thread

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Me: ”Well, this looks soulless and unfun."

Trailer: "A Disney Channel Original Movie!"

Me: "Ah, that explains everything"

That's everything the Disney channel does. It's brain poison.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

It's not all bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJyxPDEvo9U

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

It's not all bad.

Disney animation and Disney live action are two different things

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I was about to post the original Adventures in Babysitting trailer for comparison... But despite the movie being fun the trailer is bad. So very, very, bad.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    My first though on this was "Of course they remade it, you can't show the original movie to kids anymore".

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Gotta wonder who they're going to get to play "Thor".

sig.gif
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I was about to post the original Adventures in Babysitting trailer for comparison... But despite the movie being fun the trailer is bad. So very, very, bad.

The evolution of movie trailers must be the single most convincing argument for the advancement of human society over relatively short periods of time. Just think, a hundred years ago we didn't even have movie trailers and trailers made twenty years ago are poison to a modern audience's palate(not the wooden object for hauling product).

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Aistan wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    edzepp wrote: »

Still looks awful.

John Wick in first person, what's not to love! I suppose the world building won't be quite up to snuff possibly, but meh.

It looks like an awful FPS game. But it's a movie.

I watched this Extra Credits video a few days ago and there's a point in it where he discusses how a first person perspective could do some pretty neat things for a movie, using Call of Duty as a potential example franchise. Have the movie's purpose be to get across every aspect of the job of a solider. The fighting and terrifying combat stuff, yes, but also training, downtime, patrols, etc. Use the medium to show a general audience something that they probably have no experience with or even comprehension of. I went away from that video actually wanting a Call of Duty movie in that style. It could be a pretty cool thing.

Hardcore Henry does not look like a pretty cool thing.

Extra Credits has a very different grasp of "entertaining" then I do. Probably most people (there are of course, exceptions). As a random project sure, but there is no way that would be commercially viable. Even real soldiers hate guard duty.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

Still looks awful.

John Wick in first person, what's not to love! I suppose the world building won't be quite up to snuff possibly, but meh.

I watched this Extra Credits video a few days ago and there's a point in it where he discusses how a first person perspective could do some pretty neat things for a movie, using Call of Duty as a potential example franchise. Have the movie's purpose be to get across every aspect of the job of a solider. The fighting and terrifying combat stuff, yes, but also training, downtime, patrols, etc. Use the medium to show a general audience something that they probably have no experience with or even comprehension of. I went away from that video actually wanting a Call of Duty movie in that style. It could be a pretty cool thing.

Extra Credits has a very different grasp of "entertaining" then I do. Probably most people (there are of course, exceptions). As a random project sure, but there is no way that would me commercially viable. Even real soldiers hate guard duty.

Well he doesn't actually use the word "entertaining" in regard to guard duty, and it probably wouldn't be a 2 hour movie of a person standing outside a door. That was just an example of one of the many other things that soldiers do other than shooting guns at people, and should be represented if someone wants to make this hypothetical movie he's talking about. It could be a way to tell a story in a different manner than most other movies. Obviously it all comes down to implementation and the quality of the story being told as to whether the movie is good or not.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Still looks awful.

Extra Credits has a very different grasp of "entertaining" then I do. Probably most people (there are of course, exceptions). As a random project sure, but there is no way that would me commercially viable. Even real soldiers hate guard duty.

Well he doesn't actually use the word "entertaining" in regard to guard duty, and it probably wouldn't be a 2 hour movie of a person standing outside a door. That was just an example of one of the many other things that soldiers do other than shooting guns at people, and should be represented if someone wants to make this hypothetical movie he's talking about. It could be a way to tell a story in a different manner than most other movies. Obviously it all comes down to implementation and the quality of the story being told as to whether the movie is good or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5tRNs2X5Q4

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXMp9fBomJw

All I can think of watching this trailer is the Rick and Morty episode where they visit a purge world.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    I love that the concept of the movie is, "What if people realized that the Purge was actually really stupid?" It's so far up its own ass by now I wonder if they remember what their original point was. Or maybe this is horseshoe theory in action.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

It's not all bad.

Disney animation and Disney live action are two different things

Yes, and both produce good material like the above. They also were involved with Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

• Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Gotta wonder who they're going to get to play "Thor".

754859_005.jpg

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    But that's weeks away? Quoi de niquer?

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    That... is 90% of a teaser trailer instead of a trailer trailer. Like, remove the date and add a giant marshmallow foot smashing down before the Ghostbuster symbol (or whatever they use in this movie), bam, done.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'm a fan of very short trailers. But I hate trailers for trailers, so...

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Joe Dizzy wrote: »
    Yes, in three weeks you will be able to watch a slightly longer trailer for a movie that's not coming out for another 5 months.
    Get Psyched!

So you don't actually care anymore when the movie is actually released.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Joe Dizzy wrote: »
    Yes, in three weeks you will be able to watch a slightly longer trailer for a movie that's not coming out for another 5 months.
    Get Psyched!

So you don't actually care anymore when the movie is actually released.

This is funny because on the GB forum they think it's a bad sign the trailer is not ready when all other upcoming movies already showed one.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Seal wrote: »

All I can think of watching this trailer is the Rick and Morty episode where they visit a purge world.

Does like, everyone really want to run around murdering people all the time?

Am I the only one who would use Purge day to like....maybe get high or run some red lights?

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Real talk: it's less that everyone wants to murder each other and more that you don't know if the person you're talking to wants to murder.

In the movie though it looks like people just want to kill people.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

Am I the only one who would use Purge day to like....maybe get high or run some red lights?

You ever work in customer service?

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I can easily see, without any consequences, people taking the opportunity to murder a few people. Look at how many people kill people when there are repercussions, over love rivalries and such.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

purge day is when every state that isn't a red state activates its taxpayer funded private security agencies to keep purge day the same as every other day

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Speaking of The Purge. How about an awful looking parody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivqhlpUCnZY

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Speaking of The Purge. How about an awful looking parody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivqhlpUCnZY

awwww king bach got to be in a movie

he's gonna pull something when he does that dance for that long

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

hey, you don't like it, move to Canada!

• Options
    I can easily see, without any consequences, people taking the opportunity to murder a few people. Look at how many people kill people when there are repercussions, over love rivalries and such.

Consider the panic that you would feel knowing that that random Jane walking down the street towards you could kill you with no repercussions for any reason, real or imagined, or no reason beyond you were there and she was armed. You can imagine the adrenaline pumping in such a situation. Then consider that Jane is walking towards an unknown Joe, who could for any reason, real or imagined, or no reason, kill her with no repercussions at all.

Now, imagine every person you see on that same fight or flight/kill or be killed adrenaline high.
    You don't even need to add in those people who "just" want to go commit a variety of lesser crimes and the victims of those crimes protecting themselves (potentially lethally) and the escalation that happens next.

You'd have the streets running red at the hands of people who never wanted to kill anyone in the first place.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The stupid thing about the purge is that it wouldn't work. Most criminals either

-Do not think they're going to get caught
    -Do not care if they get caught
    -Aren't thinking about the consequences

Having a day where they get off scot free is nice for them, I guess, but it wouldn't stop them from committing crimes on other days. Really all the purge would do is give people who wouldn't otherwise consider crime incentive to do horrible things. The people who already do horrible things on other days will keep on keeping on.

Plus you'd probably wind up with stuff like 'It's not the purge day, so he'll totally not be expecting to get killed, so nows a perfect time to kill him" and "Those monsters killed my baby on purge day, so I'll track 'em down and kill them, and I sure as hell ain't waiting for purge day"

• Options
    In the world of the Purge, everyone bottles it up until purge day.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    You guys are putting more thought into the purge than the writers of the movies do. Honestly the Purge would be a great set up for an open world action game, but it makes for shit movies.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Purge 3 was in the trailers for Deadpool, and it looks stupid.

So the first movie works in being a low budget excuse for a bottle episode. Didn't care for it but it's a worthwhile excuse to make this thriller based on good intentions ruining everything.

The second movie tried to be more "the powerful cheat with the Purge" and that sucked. It was only the addition of Punisher jr. that made it tolerable.

This third one seems like it's so preachy and ham fisted. Oh so like all the poor and minorities realize this sucks, and are going to fight the white people who want to keep it, and lets just throw in some usual religion bashing because it's 1985 and I'm a rebel writer, man, I went to [insert Northeastern liberal arts college safety school here]. Oh, but not these white people who are like super cool and on the right side because they don't have purge privilege or something, they'll actually work together to fight the President from Escape from L.A. only without the briefest hint of self awareness. Even though it's been shown the poor and minorities seem to love this shit just as much as the next person but whatever, fuck you, this is Purge logic American flag symbolism Amerikkka.

Like really genuises, you're protecting a senator or someone who wants to abolish the purge and you don't suspect there being a traitor in the group? Fucking fly her to London or Vancouver for the whole week just for safesies!

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Everyone is indeed putting more thought into this movie than the writers, because the writers don't give a shit. They get paid for writing their thinly veiled ranting, score!

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Purge 3 was in the trailers for Deadpool, and it looks stupid.

It may be stupid but it's the kind of stupid that's more interesting subject matter than the previous movies in the setting.

• Options
    I don't think the point of the Purge is to limit crime to one day, people still do stupid stuff outside of Purge night, the Purge is intended to encourage a lot of killing to cull the population while making the Government "innocent" despite encouraging it. In the Purge 2 you get a bunch of rich people murdering the poor for instance. Could you imagine the current US voting populous, especially one particular party, given free reign to kill the poor and minorities? Or survival nuts allowed to (i assume this is also allowed) murder police and government officials?

• Options
    edited February 2016
    In the world of the Purge, they have a 1% crime rate* and a 1% unemployment rate because of the Purge.
    *I have no idea what a "crime rate" is, but the point the writers are making is that the Purge means that the world of the Purge has far less crime than our world. That is canon.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I mean, there's lots of neat things you could do with the concept, but the core reasoning is dumb IMO.

As far as ideas, imagine what a bank goes through? One night a year where anyone could blow their banks to shit and take every last cent. Imagine a pack of people getting together to try and raid a bank.

Meanwhile, knowing this shit is coming, the bank quadruples security. One-Night officers who get paid ridiculous sums (after the purge) if they can defend the banks assets for the entire night.

But what if one of the One-Nighters is in on it?

• Options
    I mean, there's lots of neat things you could do with the concept, but the core reasoning is dumb IMO.

As far as ideas, imagine what a bank goes through? One night a year where anyone could blow their banks to shit and take every last cent. Imagine a pack of people getting together to try and raid a bank.

Meanwhile, knowing this shit is coming, the bank quadruples security. One-Night officers who get paid ridiculous sums (after the purge) if they can defend the banks assets for the entire night.

I'd imagine banks move all their money out before hand to some kind of super high security facility.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

I'd imagine banks move all their money out before hand to some kind of super high security facility.

That's the plot of Die Hard 4

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO