As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] VII 100% legitimate and happening remake. Yes, really.

• Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    Boost is, more or less, 1.5x physical damage for some amount of time (30 seconds, I think?).

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I keep hearing about how Tidus is a really good character but I just cannot bring myself to put him on my team because I kind of hate him.

What, because he's the one optimist in a world where everyone else has long since given up on things ever really getting better?

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Boost is handy to reach damage breakpoints ie: one shots or increasing the potency of physical abilities. Pushing someone to be able to one shot a flan for example can really help or simply being able to auto attack big targets and kill them with one person.

Boosted Body Slams are beautiful as well...

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Billmaan wrote: »
    Boost is, more or less, 1.5x physical damage for some amount of time (30 seconds, I think?).

So it goes by time and not rounds?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

All the buffs and debuffs do.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

Yep. All buffs and debuffs do (except poison, which lasts forever). Here's a table of buff/debuff durations, ganked from GameFAQs:
    Poison: Infinite, applies every 5s
    Blind: 60s, +/-1s per 50 MND
    Sap: 40s, applies every 1s
    Protect/Shell/Reflect/Regen: 35s, +1s per 33.3 MND, Regen applies every 3s
    Confusion: 30s, +/-1s per 40 MND
    Sleep: 30s, +/-1s per 50 MND
    Berserk/Silence: 20s, +/-1s per 40 MND
    Haste: 20s, +1s per 40 MND
    Slow: 20s, +1s per 20,000 MND (yes, seriously)
    Paralysis: 15s, +/-1s per 50 MND
    Stop: 6s, +/-1s per 50 MND
    Note that the in-game clock is paused during certain animations -- for example, debuff timers won't tick down during soul breaks.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Yep. All buffs and debuffs do (except poison, which lasts forever). Here's a table of buff/debuff durations, ganked from GameFAQs:
    Poison: Infinite, applies every 5s
    Blind: 60s, +/-1s per 50 MND
    Sap: 40s, applies every 1s
    Protect/Shell/Reflect/Regen: 35s, +1s per 33.3 MND, Regen applies every 3s
    Confusion: 30s, +/-1s per 40 MND
    Sleep: 30s, +/-1s per 50 MND
    Berserk/Silence: 20s, +/-1s per 40 MND
    Haste: 20s, +1s per 40 MND
    Slow: 20s, +1s per 20,000 MND (yes, seriously)
    Paralysis: 15s, +/-1s per 50 MND
    Stop: 6s, +/-1s per 50 MND
    Note that the in-game clock is paused during certain animations -- for example, debuff timers won't tick down during soul breaks.

As long as your ATB gauge is building, the timers keep ticking. This is good because you could have Cecil use Rampart or have someone cast Regen on the battle before a boss and it won't tick down while you transition between rounds.

Also, I believe the timers reset at the start of each battle. So if you had one second of paralysis left when you ended a fight, you get to start the next battle over with it at the full 15 seconds. Lucky you.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    What's the best place to pick up spare Protect Vests? I need some trash ones to feed to my good ones to mitigate some of the crazy damage on Hard in the event...

You can buy some for cheap in the Aeris event with magicite.

Already bought all those. Any other places to pick some Protect Vests up?

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Hey Final Fantasy thread

I rarely check into these things, so forgive me if there's oldish news or no news

Is there any news on when FFVII is going to hit PS4?

I know they initially said "spring" but usually people mean March or April when they say that and I feel like nothing's been heard since, and FFX/X-2 HD is hitting PS4 in early May so I feel like it wouldn't be around then

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    No news UV.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Sigh

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    What's the best place to pick up spare Protect Vests? I need some trash ones to feed to my good ones to mitigate some of the crazy damage on Hard in the event...

Antlion drops them rarely. Turn your wifi off after the fight starts, and if he doesn't drop it, close the app. Then turn your wifi back on, and when you log in the game will ask you if you want to resume where you left off. Answer no, and you can retry the boss (it still costs stamina, but not a whole dungeon's worth).

There are also spreadsheets in the OP with item locations courtesy of @Billmaan

So I'm trying to build a team for the FFV Elite Dungeons. I'm thinking Cloud, Sephiroth, Dark Cecil, Paladin Cecil (off healer), and Aeris (healer + booster). I know Rydia does a lot of damage, but she's SO fragile, and only useful for the last fight in a dungeon.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I keep hearing about how Tidus is a really good character but I just cannot bring myself to put him on my team because I kind of hate him.

It always surprises me when I see people hate on Tidus because I liked him so much.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular

Antlion drops them rarely. Turn your wifi off after the fight starts, and if he doesn't drop it, close the app. Then turn your wifi back on, and when you log in the game will ask you if you want to resume where you left off. Answer no, and you can retry the boss (it still costs stamina, but not a whole dungeon's worth).

There are also spreadsheets in the OP with item locations courtesy of @Billmaan

So I'm trying to build a team for the FFV Elite Dungeons. I'm thinking Cloud, Sephiroth, Dark Cecil, Paladin Cecil (off healer), and Aeris (healer + booster). I know Rydia does a lot of damage, but she's SO fragile, and only useful for the last fight in a dungeon.

I beat the Wind Shrine already, going back to champion. Screwed up the counter mode of the boss. The mobs are trash so far. You should be okay damage wise, but I love Rydia for every boss battle. With Aeris, I can run Gravity, and allow Rydia another nuke or Summon. I run with Wakka as my booster.

• Options
    I do have Wakka/Cloud/Tidus equipped with FFV weapons though, might be making things easier.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

What, because he's the one optimist in a world where everyone else has long since given up on things ever really getting better?

It was the HA HA HA HA HA scene and also how he's a brainless, cocky moron. Optimism is fine, but stupidity is not.

• Options

It was the HA HA HA HA HA scene and also how he's a brainless, cocky moron. Optimism is fine, but stupidity is not.

Tidus reminded me of Zidane, and for that, he's cool in my book.

• Options
    Cloud/Broadsword/Bronze Armor/Fire Strike/Blizzard Strike
    Sephiroth/Kazekiri/Bronze Armor/Double Cut/Gravity
    Dark Cecil/Broadsword/Bronze Armor/Blade Bash/Charge
    Paladin Cecil/Broadsword/Bronze Armor/Cura/Protect
    Aerith/Light Staff/Plumed Hat/Cure/Boost

I don't know. Paladin Cecil doesn't really make much of a contribution to the offense, but his Soul Break is sweet and sometimes you need to heal twice a turn.

• Options
    Cloud/Broadsword/Bronze Armor/Fire Strike/Blizzard Strike
    Sephiroth/Kazekiri/Bronze Armor/Double Cut/Gravity
    Dark Cecil/Broadsword/Bronze Armor/Blade Bash/Charge
    Paladin Cecil/Broadsword/Bronze Armor/Cura/Protect
    Aerith/Light Staff/Plumed Hat/Cure/Boost

I don't know. Paladin Cecil doesn't really make much of a contribution to the offense, but his Soul Break is sweet and sometimes you need to heal twice a turn.

I'd say give it a shot and see how it works out. I would run Cura with Aerith over Paladin Cecil, though.

What's the stats looking like on your armor? I didn't bother upgrading anything at 1*, even with the synergy boost.

• Options
    Broadswords are +78 ATK at level 10, and Bronze Armor is +102 Def and 42 Res at level 10.

• Options
    Broadswords are +78 ATK at level 10, and Bronze Armor is +102 Def and 42 Res at level 10.

You'll be fine.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

[Argument about the laughing scene, possibly including the words "intentional" and "hollow", goes here]

Enlong on
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »

[Argument about the laughing scene, possibly including the words "intentional" and "hollow", goes here]

That argument does not fly with me on anything. If something is intentionally bad that doesn't change the fact it's bad. I don't care what the purpose was, it's still bad!

• Options

That argument does not fly with me on anything. If something is intentionally bad that doesn't change the fact it's bad. I don't care what the purpose was, it's still bad!

Tidus had a slow added to his limit break in FFRK, and oh man so many bosses get hit by it?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

I disagree.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

I disagree.

Can't say I like Tidus (or FFX in general), but his stupid/brainless/cocky moronic nature really was the product of him being from an entirely different culture than the rest of the game's verse. Also he's like a proto-Vanille.
    I say Proto-Vanille because he largely remains the same outwardly despite knowing the negative outcome for him fulfilling the game's task.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

I disagree.

Can't say I like Tidus (or FFX in general), but his stupid/brainless/cocky moronic nature really was the product of him being from an entirely different culture than the rest of the game's verse. Also he's like a proto-Vanille.
    I say Proto-Vanille because he largely remains the same outwardly despite knowing the negative outcome for him fulfilling the game's task.
    Yeah, but at least it's not all his fault.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I will admit that part of my love for Tidus might be overflow from just how impressively devious Auron was. He pretty much played Tidus and Yuna like fiddles, while appearing to be aloof almost the whole time.

• Options
    Auron was great and if FFX had not required party-switching to hit enemy weakpoints he'd have been in the party at all times. Same with Rikku.

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    Wait, how does that laughing scene make Tidus stupid?

• Options
    At least Tidus didn't have a GF that erased his memory that left him with the attitude of "....."

• Options
    Shamus wrote: »
    At least Tidus didn't have a GF that erased his memory that left him with the attitude of "....."

This is what all my GFs have done to me

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Shamus wrote: »

There was an interesting article linked in an earlier FF thread about that. It sorta amounts to the same thing, but Squall does have a significantly larger vocabulary in the Japanese version. It's really funny how cyclical these threads are. On page 30 we're going to be knee-deep in making personal hierarchies of our favorite Final Fantasies. 20 pages beyond that Square is going to release something that's going to get Snugglesworth excited about the company again. About a thread from now TheSauce and I are going to talk about our different interpretations of Celes and Lightning respectively. Maybe by that time I'll actually finish the FFXIII trilogy so I can open that can of worms again.

I know that tone is really tough to communicate via text, but I'm not being sarcastic at all when I say that I do like all these discussions on FF. Even though they're repetitive, they usually unearth some new interpretation or fanart or something equally interesting that make them all worthwhile.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Lucid wrote: »
    Wait, how does that laughing scene make Tidus stupid?

It doesn't. His general interactions with the rest of the cast do. Generally when someone doesn't know what's going on it would behoove them to shut up and listen instead of yapping away. Tidus does not and frequently charges ass-first into situations.

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    That just makes him impetuous, not stupid.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular

Where do you get these boosted stat figures from? Or is it literally just taking the base values at level 10 and doubling them because that's what the synergy does?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    This FFX cast talk gets me thinking. Ignoring *everything else* about each game, which game's cast is your favorite and least favorite?

FFX's might just be my least favorite cast in the series. I struggle to think of anything I like about any of the characters. XII, on the other hand, probably has my favorite cast, if only because of how much I like Basch and Ashe.

• Options

Where do you get these boosted stat figures from? Or is it literally just taking the base values at level 10 and doubling them because that's what the synergy does?

The Japanese ffrk site had pictures of relic synergy on the respective items' pages. Since we live in the future, browsers can read kanji.

• Options
    edited April 2015

Enter a dungeon, then check the items in your inventory and you'll see the boosted stats.

Synergy works a bit oddly. It grants each piece of equipment some extra upgrade levels. How many upgrade levels depends on what level the equipment is already at:
    Levels 1-4: +15
    Levels 5-9: +20
    Levels 10-14: +30
    Levels 15-19: +40
    Levels 20-24: +50
    Levels 25-29: +60
    Level 30: +70
    Note that equipment with a higher "base" star level gain more stat points per upgrade level (...I think?) so they'll see greater benefits from synergy.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    All elite dungeons cleared and mastered. Guess I beat FFRK (...for a couple of days, until the content patch drops).

(No money spent, and I didn't use the disconnecting "trick".)

This discussion has been closed.