As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game Grumps] This thread is laughably naive.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    I should be mad that he insulted gorons so bluntly.

But he's taking the long way to the lost woods instead of the shortcut so it evens out.
    They're literally complaining about a famine because they're think they're too good to eat the rocks that are literally everywhere. He kind of has a point.

And I say this as someone who thinks the Gorons are the best Zelda race.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    It's the savage Dodongoes' fault for choosing to live in the place with all the good land rocks.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The name of the race is one letter off from Morons. C'mon.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

But he's taking the long way to the lost woods instead of the shortcut so it evens out.
    They're literally complaining about a famine because they're think they're too good to eat the rocks that are literally everywhere. He kind of has a point.

They probably eat only certain kinds of rocks.

It's kind of a silly thing to get upset at, but I guess that's par for the course for Arin's complaints in the Zelda sequelitis.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »

They probably eat only certain kinds of rocks.

It's kind of a silly thing to get upset at, but I guess that's par for the course for Arin's complaints in the Zelda sequelitis.

They specifically state they physically CAN eat the rocks around them, but don't because they don't like the taste.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    I always thought of it as a nutrition thing. They can eat the rocks around them but it won't be as "nutritious" as sirloin rock (what they meant by taste as good).

But it's still a dumb reason to call them "the worst most unlikable fuckers in the entire game."

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I honestly looked forward to the Mario Maker episodes. Hopefully they'll return again in the near future, but its good to take a break, too.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    That's a really weird thing to do when you could totally auction it off for charity because people are weird like that

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    That's a really weird thing to do when you could totally auction it off for charity because people are weird like that

The Grumps do stuff like that all the time. It's probably more symbolic to them if someone takes the couch not knowing the history (or if a fan gets their hands on it)

• Options
    Those are still things that can happen (especially the 2nd thing) in an auction

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

So many trapped Grump farts in that cushion. First person to sit in it is going to unleash a biohazard.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    danny struggling with the controls of a baby game on the wii

it's like coming home again

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    That couch deserves a Viking Funeral. But it would probably burn a hole in the atmosphere from the fart nuke unleashed.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

So many trapped Grump farts in that cushion. First person to sit in it is going to unleash a biohazard.

Don't forget all the human feces!

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    A fan just picked it up; Ross was waiting with a camera to capture this historic moment:

I think they're hoping to get rid of Ross now:

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    The next picture needs to be Markiplier or someone else random picking up Ross and loading him into the trunk of their car.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    The next picture needs to be Markiplier or someone else random picking up Ross and loading him into the trunk of their car.

And then them driving him to the trash heap.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Geez, folks. Ross ain't even that bad/

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Lol Arin not getting the free Hylian shield in the graveyard before heading up the mountain. It's almost like he didn't play this on N64, then again on Cube, then again on 3DS or something.

Was that just me? That was probably just me.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Why aren't they playing 3ds version?

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    3ds capture devices exist but they aren't super common and require physically modding the system, maybe they don't think it's worth it for one game. Then again Suzy has a Yokai watch playthrough so presumably there's atleast one available to them.

• Options
    Kadoken wrote: »

So Arin has the maximum amount to complain about. Or to show Dan the original version.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    They have a 3DS capture kit as shown by Pokemon Art Academy

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

So Arin has the maximum amount to complain about. Or to show Dan the original version.

Alternatively, playing on a TV on your couch or whatever with a controller is MUCH easier for a long game like OoT than on a 3DS with a bulky capture device attached to it.

I mean, that was my first thought.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    He's not even playing one of the later carts, or the Gamecube version. Someone pointed out that he's actually playing the very first cart version that has even more bugs and glitches than the later versions of the cart. He definitely has the ability to access several better variations of the game, so he's playing this one for a reason.

Or he's dumb and lazy, that's also possible.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Or, you know, it's the N64 cart that he owns and he's not trying for any ulterior motive?

I mean, good god, sometimes a cigar is just an N64.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    He's not even playing one of the later carts, or the Gamecube version. Someone pointed out that he's actually playing the very first cart version that has even more bugs and glitches than the later versions of the cart. He definitely has the ability to access several better variations of the game, so he's playing this one for a reason.

Or he's dumb and lazy, that's also possible.

This sounds like complete bullshit people are vomiting up to excuse some of OoTs clear flaws and poorly designed elements to be frank.

I remember the numerous arguments about OoT bring a flawless masterpiece and none of them relied on specific carts for it. The most logical explanation, if we go by Occam's razor, is that Arin found a copy of OoT, chucked it into an N64 and is playing it. I don't see how this has to be made any more complicated or similar, unless people are genuinely trying to hide the fact OoT when it was first released was hardly that flawless masterpiece people have argued (and it obviously isn't flawless). There is a clear and absolute ulterior motive to people making arguments like yours, while "Shoving a cart into the system the game was made on originally" is possibly the least nefarious thing I can think of about playing an old game.

The fact that these arguments are so ridiculously dumb in their nigh-conspiracy level fervor making me agree with Arin on anything is nigh infuriating to me, I don't agree with Arin at all about game design (because his opinions are usually terrible). Many of these differences between carts you mention are known because speed runners obsessively sought them out to break the game in extremely specific ways. Most of the higher level stuff between what carts do (and don't) let you get away with, won't matter for a regular play-through whatsoever. They're not trying for a child link no items deku stick bug finish speed run here or whatever.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    I am not a N64 or Ocarina expert. I've barely even played the game. Someone just pointed out that they're playing the very first version (you can tell by one of the logos during startup apparently) and later ones are less buggy. If he was supposed to be studying up on the game for his video he should have known about version differences and such (took me about five seconds of searching). He definitely has the time, money and ability to locate other copies of the game, and should be able to determine what one he has. If he took the time to try and/or care.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I am not a N64 or Ocarina expert. I've barely even played the game.

It makes shit all difference unless you're a speed runner.

Like, this is a list of bugs and issues between versions, noting this doesn't cover higher level exploits like using geometry to warp and such. Hardly any of this makes a difference. I mean, changing the Crescent/Stars in the game, because they didn't want to offend certain Islamic countries the game was released in, is going to change the gameplay so much! Clearly Arin is trying to bias this!!!! That's one of the bigger/major changes between the N64 and Gamecube version, though I do believe certain exploits won't work on the gamecube version.

But again, that's shit SPEEDRUNNERS are doing to *specifically* break the game. Not ordinary people playing the game as intended. That's a huge difference and anyone should approach this "Arin is playing the buggy version deliberately" nonsense should be instantly skeptical.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    I have that version, I got it day one. It was version I played many times through, like a normal human would. I cannot recall any technical issues.

This is literally the nonest of issues. This isn't a re-review or some sort of critique, it's a dick and fart joke LP. Also, if you watch the series, if he mentions his issues it's pretty reasonable and is charitable to the opposition. There is no agenda. It's not there.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    I was prepared for him to shit on the game so hard.

But he absolutely hasn't.

Now when he gets to Skyward Sword....

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I was prepared for him to shit on the game so hard.

But he absolutely hasn't.

Now when he gets to Skyward Sword....

That sequelitis is two years ago, your stance on something can change in that time. Didn't he already apologize for it as well? I believe he admitted his mistakes in that video and that he took a wrong approach.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    He shouldn't have ever had to apologize though. He posted an opinion, online (for better or worse) and his opinion was approved by some, and blasted by others. Die hards of any fanbase will go out of their freaking way to try to defend their precious past time. The only thing Arin did wrong was let his evidently unpopular opinion go public through a medium by which he knows he has millions of viewers.

Part of that was probably deliberate, too, but when you're in the public eye, you don't want to alienate your fans, and you definitely don't want to alienate your haters, either. They provide viewership just as much as anything because they're the ones watching to scrutinize everything you do.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I quite like that they're playing OoT on the N64, makes me nostalgic from when I played it as a kid.

Who cares if it's glitchier than a different version? This is, like, the opposite of a big deal.

In other news, I got my Under the Covers CD. I've only listened to the first four song but it's pretty awesome so far. NSP and TWRP did an absolutely amazing job on this album. The songs have a modern yet retro sound to them that is just great. They're reverent while also having their own feel. It's just fantastic.

Zomro on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I was just hoping they would do the one with better graphics. The stores having inventory in the corners of the room and the change of the painted backdrop to 3d models is cool. I'm still watching because this playthrough has been really funny so far.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I am not a N64 or Ocarina expert. I've barely even played the game. Someone just pointed out that they're playing the very first version (you can tell by one of the logos during startup apparently) and later ones are less buggy. If he was supposed to be studying up on the game for his video he should have known about version differences and such (took me about five seconds of searching). He definitely has the time, money and ability to locate other copies of the game, and should be able to determine what one he has. If he took the time to try and/or care.

It's very possible that "version differences" didn't even cross his mind when they decided to do this. It's quite likely that he literally just grabbed the first cart he came across and popped it in.
    While Arin has no doubt gone a bit more in depth with this game than I have, I own an OoT cart, and it has never occurred to me to check which version it is.

Unless someone had a reason to look for that (like speedrunning or something) and went out of their way to check, it's probably incidental.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    He probably grabbed it because it was gold

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    DHS wrote: »
    I have that version, I got it day one. It was version I played many times through, like a normal human would. I cannot recall any technical issues.

This is literally the nonest of issues. This isn't a re-review or some sort of critique, it's a dick and fart joke LP. Also, if you watch the series, if he mentions his issues it's pretty reasonable and is charitable to the opposition. There is no agenda. It's not there.

Exactly. I own a first-print run of that game. Lots of people do. I don't know about any differences between first-print runs and subsequent runs (besides the chanting removed from the Fire Temple). Lots of people don't.