As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

who ya got

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Money
    Apparently Pacquiao said the reason he didn't press more in the final rounds is because he thought he was ahead on the scorecards.

Which seems weird.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Pacman
    Nirya wrote: »
    Let's go back to talking about wrestling.
    no, this is a thread about a real, honorable sport, okay???

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Money

The sport of kings.

Or is that poker?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Pacman
    David_T wrote: »
    Apparently Pacquiao said the reason he didn't press more in the final rounds is because he thought he was ahead on the scorecards.

Which seems weird.

This seems like a super strange reason to hold back, but what do I know?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Pacman

The sport of kings.

Or is that poker?

Human chess

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Pacman
    Javen wrote: »

Which seems weird.

This seems like a super strange reason to hold back, but what do I know?

If you're ahead that's all the more reason to play defensive. Especially when you figure the match is gonna go to the judges.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular

Which seems weird.

Well, he did lose a fight that he was winning when he pressed too hard against Marquez last time and got countered hard. So I can see why he was thinking that.

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Money

Which seems weird.

by Round 6 you could have made an argument he was at least tied

but no by round 10 it was clearly Floyds fight to lose, and Pacman looked tired and lost all of his speed

he didn't look natural at that weight

• Options
    Money
    I can see being defensive if he thought he was ahead, I can't understand why his corner would let him think he was ahead.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Money

The sport of Burger kings.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular
    Maybe they were hoping he was winning cause he seemed more active. Though they should know better.

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Pacman

The sport of Burger kings.

PUPPIES!

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Money
    Javen wrote: »

The sport of kings.

Or is that poker?

Human chess

Horse racing

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I remember how exciting it was watching Tyson fight in the 80s, and how much of a spectacle it was after he got out of jail. This was extraordinarily underwhelming.

Welcome to 2015 boxing. Featuring the only two fighters who are relevant and not heavyweights, both awful people, both past their prime, and both of whom will likely be done in 2 years (Floyd even only has one fight left on his deal!) in a fight with no rematch clause and that boxing fans nearly unanimously agree should have happened 5 years ago. Thanks for the $100!

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Oh I forgot my favorite part

On the PPV, on the undercard, right before the main event was a fight between this up-and-comer...and a guy who when not boxing, is a full time construction worker and insurance salesman in Tijuana. Who regularly fights 2 weight classes under the limit of the fight. Who never won a fight that went 10 rounds. And who accepted the fight literally last week because the original guy was hurt.

Boxing.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Pacman
    So why is this fight in particular gaining so much traction with peoples' collective attention

I almost never hear about boxing, relative to UFC or WWE. And tonight my Facebook and even my tumblr feeds have stuff in the feeds

• Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    So why is this fight in particular gaining so much traction with peoples' collective attention

I almost never hear about boxing, relative to UFC or WWE. And tonight my Facebook and even my tumblr feeds have stuff in the feeds

Regarded as two of the best current fighters for years, toyed with fighting each other for years (rejected each time because they're both adult children who don't trust each other to not cheat or pay fairly or show up), and it finally happened. PPV rights were shared between two major companies, which is super rare. And tickets were mostly given to celebrities, cheapest ticket still a grand, general public only got hands on 200 or so of them, and PPVs cost either $90 or $100 depending on if you wanted plain or HD, both prices unheard of for PPV. Basically a lot of pretty rare stuff came together for one event full of more hype than anything boxing-related in decades.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    No! Pacman is a homophobe?!

Fuck everything

Yeah, he's a SUPER conservative Catholic dude. Anti contraception, anti-abortion, anti-anythingotherthanstraightpeoplegettingmarriedandhavinglike12kids. He does a lot of good with his philanthropy, though.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

Regarded as two of the best current fighters for years, toyed with fighting each other for years (rejected each time because they're both adult children who don't trust each other to not cheat or pay fairly or show up), and it finally happened. PPV rights were shared between two major companies, which is super rare. And tickets were mostly given to celebrities, cheapest ticket still a grand, general public only got hands on 200 or so of them, and PPVs cost either $90 or $100 depending on if you wanted plain or HD, both prices unheard of for PPV. Basically a lot of pretty rare stuff came together for one event full of more hype than anything boxing-related in decades.

I used to watch a bit of boxing back when I was a young kid with my Grandfather when I'd stay at their house for a couple of days over the summer holidays. It seemed a lot more genuine back then. Granted, we watched fights that were on free-to-air television in Australia in the late 80s, so I don't think there was enough money involved for there to be any major backroom deals going on, but eating my dinner and watching the night's card happen on Wally's old black and white tv set was a good time.

• Options
    Money
    I don't want to sound like I'm tolling the bell on boxing, but this was basically the last of the superfights. And even then it was mostly sold on the allure it had five years ago when you legitimately didn't know who was the better fighter of the two. Five years ago it would have been the battle to be the pound for pound best in the world.

And then they crested and Pacquiao got knocked out and now it's the fight people wanted to see because it was the fight people wanted to see. It was huge because it had to be, it was the last big shot left in the tank. And people still want boxing to be big and part of pop culture and be the thing it was with Ali and Tyson, so everyone just kinda went along this time. For maybe the last time.

I just realized, for someone not wanting to sound the death knell on boxing, I sure am tugging real hard on this rope.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Money
    But here's what should have happened at the end:

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Hagler Hearns it ain't.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Burger King: The Official Food of Domestic Abuse

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    At least the Burger King was better placed in the line than Bieber. Minor victories are still victories.

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Pacman
    Is there some sort of reason for the Bieber/Mayweather friendship? Bieber seems like kind of a piece of shit, but not on the same level as Floyd? I could be wrong, I don't know much about Bieber other than shitty music and drunk drag racing. I don't know that those really go well with wife beating. I do know that my daughter insisted that he was some sort of singing beaver when she first started hearing about him at school

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Everyone switch to kick boxing instead. Shit is wild these days.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Can this thread be about Hajime No Ippo and Punch-Out and Rocky and other things from the 80s when boxing wasn't so bleak?

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Is there some sort of reason for the Bieber/Mayweather friendship? Bieber seems like kind of a piece of shit, but not on the same level as Floyd? I could be wrong, I don't know much about Bieber other than shitty music and drunk drag racing. I don't know that those really go well with wife beating. I do know that my daughter insisted that he was some sort of singing beaver when she first started hearing about him at school

Bieber was looking to improve his cred (I guess the kiddies call that swag these days?) a while back so he started hanging out with rappers, who in turn hung out with Floyd. I guess their personalities meshed well. Maybe they have hour-long discussions on their shared experiences on over-compensating for their perceived lack of height?

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Can this thread be about Hajime No Ippo and Punch-Out and Rocky and other things from the 80s when boxing wasn't so bleak?

Real Steel was pretty rad
    Someone should make that thing a reality

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

This was no Lalapalooza

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Money
    There is still a lot of excellent boxing.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Money
    I don't know about you guys but $100 to see a bigot and a wife abuser get punched in the face is a rare opportunity

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    We all know the real fight of the century is Ippo vs Miyata

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Money
    Just watch Friday Night Fights or Thursday Night Fights or whatever it is now on ESPN if you want to see great boxing.

• Options
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

Dutch kickboxing contains a whole new level of awful criminals.
    Just watch Friday Night Fights or Thursday Night Fights or whatever it is now on ESPN if you want to see great boxing.

Friday Night Fights is cancelled as of the end of this month; Haymon's fight contracts with the other stations basically negated the need for it anymore.

• Options
    Money
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

Dutch kickboxing contains a whole new level of awful criminals.

Friday Night Fights is cancelled as of the end of this month; Haymon's fight contracts with the other stations basically negated the need for it anymore.

That's the worst. At least I have HBO

• Options
    Money

Nope this now WrestleThread 2.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
This discussion has been closed.