As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Weightlifting] thread where everyone is cool to each other

• Options
    MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Well, Starting Strength was going awesome until I had a runny nose go rogue and give me an asthma attack last week. Then, on the end of recovering from that, the wee one gave the whole house a nasty stomach bug. I think I'll finally get back to lifting this weekend, after a week and a half "break".

That said, my squats are back up to 135, so yay for that. Also, I love power cleans. So much.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I don't know, I've been on it for a while now and if anything it's getting worse

Are you using whey as a supplement? Lactose isn't the only source of dairy intolerance it's just the most common one.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I don't know, I've been on it for a while now and if anything it's getting worse

Are you using whey as a supplement? Lactose isn't the only source of dairy intolerance it's just the most common one.

Lactose-free whey is a lifesaver. Can confirm that if it's not explicitly lactose-free, I am in for a bad time.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    my garbage ankle is garbage

i am back to counting macros again as of today

low carb rest days are tuff, after 6 months of eating pure garbage

poo
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Speed squats went very well yesterday

It's amazing how much you can actually get done timing sets on the minute. 10x3x100 which ended up being near 60%, probably a little less.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Oh no
    Back in gym

I have 0 conditioning

I need to use that inhaler / get a refill

poo
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    birthday squats accomplished yesterday

1x30x180lb

Wasn't nearly as bad as last year, so that's progress

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Nogs wrote: »
    birthday squats accomplished yesterday

1x30x180lb

Wasn't nearly as bad as last year, so that's progress

Dang bruh

poo
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I wouldn't do 30 reps with my bodyweight on the bar if it would prevent a terrorist attack.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Herniated a disc in my lower back. Joy and sciatic nerve pain. Looks like I won't be doing much of anything for a few weeks.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    That's rough dude, sorry

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Herniated a disc in my lower back. Joy and sciatic nerve pain. Looks like I won't be doing much of anything for a few weeks.

That sucks dude :/

Went down to a cobbler to get an additional 6mm heel on. Came out pretty well I think.

aa8gje0ls6cq.jpg

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    First leg workout in about a month. Did moderately heavy singles for back squat and a few sets of fronts. Finished off with body weight sissy squats supersetted with high volume trap bar deads - I might not be able to walk tomorrow

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I think I need to do more paused squats. Any time I fail a rep is basically just a failure to get out of the hole, if I can grind through the first part of the concentric, I end up accelerating to lockout.

I'm 90% sure I've made this exact post in the past.

• Options
    I think I need to do more paused squats. Any time I fail a rep is basically just a failure to get out of the hole, if I can grind through the first part of the concentric, I end up accelerating to lockout.

We should all do more pause squats, they just suck so very, very hard.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular

same problem i have. i posted about it here a little bit ago and people said to do pause squats and 1 and half squats.

So far I like the 1 and a half squats the most

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular

That sucks dude :/

Went down to a cobbler to get an additional 6mm heel on. Came out pretty well I think.

aa8gje0ls6cq.jpg

How's the balance on the new heels? Decent?

• Options
    It's a flat piece of rubber, so no noticeable difference - kinda wish I had him do a full cm instead.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Agh any time off leads to infinite soreness

poo
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »

same problem i have. i posted about it here a little bit ago and people said to do pause squats and 1 and half squats.

So far I like the 1 and a half squats the most

Pin squats, GHRs, good mornings, adductors are all good assistance for coming up out of the bottom of a squat.

• Options
    "Rest it for a few weeks, then call a doctor if it's not improved" doesn't mean "just back off the reps by 20%!", does it.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Seriously feel your pain dude, I'm seeing the doc on Monday for my knee and it sucks.

It's like JUST LET ME SQUAT KNEE!

Edit: Well, the verdict is in, patllear tendonitis. No squatting or high impact exercise for a month, and I'm seeing a physical therapist to get on a new routine.

Anything else to be taking other than advil and glucosamine?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    My copy of starting strength finally arrived!

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    My squats have been dogshit for the last few weeks/months, so today I was feeling kind of broken and really didn't want to do them at all. When I finally did I had my first easy feeling squat session in a long time. I didn't warm up as much, just mobility, the bar and a few light reps. I think it helped a lot. I was also a lot more calm and methodical than I usually am, which I guess helped? Either way, I got all my reps and managed to get a little confidence back.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Seriously feel your pain dude, I'm seeing the doc on Monday for my knee and it sucks.

It's like JUST LET ME SQUAT KNEE!

Edit: Well, the verdict is in, patllear tendonitis. No squatting or high impact exercise for a month, and I'm seeing a physical therapist to get on a new routine.

Anything else to be taking other than advil and glucosamine?

Whatever the doctor told you to take.

My back is feeling better, no sciatic nerve pain today or yesterday. Going to give it another weak of light labor before I get back into stuff. Wife and I are also getting a new mattress because the memory foam one we got last year kills my back on a daily basis.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    My squats have been dogshit for the last few weeks/months, so today I was feeling kind of broken and really didn't want to do them at all. When I finally did I had my first easy feeling squat session in a long time. I didn't warm up as much, just mobility, the bar and a few light reps. I think it helped a lot. I was also a lot more calm and methodical than I usually am, which I guess helped? Either way, I got all my reps and managed to get a little confidence back.

High five dogshit squat friend!

Mine felt great until the last set and it felt like the bar was kinda off center. Hate not having center knurling. But, I also wore a belt and that was huge.

Do you think you were doing too much as a part of the warmup prior to this session?

• Options
    I think it's possible. I was doing a set of 10 with a pretty light weight before getting into my 3 x 10, and for a couple of weeks I felt shit even after my warmup. Today I spent more time warming up my hips and only did a set of 5 with the warmup weight before going into it.

It might be that I was just due for a good week, but I feel like the fact that I was feeling so lazy worked to my advantage. I might have been psyching myself up too much and doing the sets too fast to get them over with.

I've also kind of decided to just make legs a low priority at the moment. I'm still going to squat twice a week (one heavy and one light) but I'm dumping the accessory work. My leg days were making me dread the gym, and that's bad mojo. I only have a few weeks left of my bulk so it's time to cut a little volume anyway.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Once again "can you row this thing" turns out well! Trap bar rows are great, very much like an underhanded barbell row but less crummy on the wrists and with the high handles I could stop between each rep to take stress off my back. Went heavy, feel hoooge

• Options
    I think it's possible. I was doing a set of 10 with a pretty light weight before getting into my 3 x 10, and for a couple of weeks I felt shit even after my warmup. Today I spent more time warming up my hips and only did a set of 5 with the warmup weight before going into it.

It might be that I was just due for a good week, but I feel like the fact that I was feeling so lazy worked to my advantage. I might have been psyching myself up too much and doing the sets too fast to get them over with.

I've also kind of decided to just make legs a low priority at the moment. I'm still going to squat twice a week (one heavy and one light) but I'm dumping the accessory work. My leg days were making me dread the gym, and that's bad mojo. I only have a few weeks left of my bulk so it's time to cut a little volume anyway.

That's entirely possible. I wouldn't be surprised if the extra hip work and the mindset made a difference. If I'm whiny beforehand I shoot myself in the foot.

So, BigMen, questions:

I'm looking at a GHD. I'm strongly considering (wife's input as well) this one from Strength Shop USA https://www.strengthshopusa.com/gym-equipment/dx2-glute-ham-developer-deluxe-half-moon-pads.html

I've looked at the elitefts ones, and I like them, but I don't like the 4-6 week shipping and their sale on GHD's came at the wrong time. I considered the Rogue Abrams 2.0 because I also like the easy adjustment set-up it has. The Rogue one is like $836 with shipping and tax. That's like the highest end of my price range.

On the other hand, the deluxe strength shop model looks quite a bit sturdier than most GHD's that I've seen advertised between $350-450, so I'm leaning towards that one, as it would also allow me to check out this bad boy (which I'm also not totally sold on, cause it's valor fitness, but hell, it might be worth checking out): http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Super-Hex-Trap-Bar/10698685/product.html

the third thing is, I still really, really want a reverse hyper, but it can wait, so long as I can do banded reverse hypers off the GHD. But TSS has that combo GHD/Reverse Hyper for $695, and I could drive and pick it up. They're also selling weights for .70 cents/lb after they get done with the powerlifting meets they set up in March. My experience is, things that can do multiple things might be adequate, but never quite live up to a dedicated platform. http://www.texasstrengthsystems.com/products/machines-specialty-equipment/glute-ham-combo

So, any advice or other suggestions would be much appreciated, but right now I'm considering the StrengthShop GHD and the neat trap bar, as I miss carrying shit and my wife's hip is terminally fucked so pulling from the floor on conventional deadlifts is pretty uncomfortable but she can squat with minimal issue.

• Options
    The rotating grip thingies a point of failure, there? If not, that thing looks neat.

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »
    The rotating grip thingies a point of failure, there? If not, that thing looks neat.

It looks less sturdy than the only other model I've used, but that's also $800. So, yeah. I mean, the rotating grip is really the feature I like because the fat grips for carries and deads are awesome, the normal is great for deads, and the skinny is good for smaller hands.

But I'm not sold since I see the squat stands from valor are rated for 150# and that's kinda like wtf

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »

It looks less sturdy than the only other model I've used, but that's also $800. So, yeah. I mean, the rotating grip is really the feature I like because the fat grips for carries and deads are awesome, the normal is great for deads, and the skinny is good for smaller hands.

But I'm not sold since I see the squat stands from valor are rated for 150# and that's kinda like wtf

Oh, well I mean if that's a thing that's sturdy enough as a rule, then, never mind; I'm not familiar enough with bars to know what is or isn't likely to fail. Especially if it's a selling point for you.

How the hell is a squat stand only rated that? Is that like... One side of a pair?

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    Went to the gym this morning. Worked on my squats. Happened to be a dude doing squats also, was a cool guy, we actually talked about starting strength for a bit. I was able to get up to 75 pounds which is about half my body weight without breaking form. Felt really good!

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Went to the gym this morning. Worked on my squats. Happened to be a dude doing squats also, was a cool guy, we actually talked about starting strength for a bit. I was able to get up to 75 pounds which is about half my body weight without breaking form. Felt really good!

That's good! Your legs are gonna be sore as hell. But that's not a bad thing. You still beasting it on the latest Duty iteration?

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Got my resting metabolic rate measured, it's about 85% of what various equations predict for someone my size/age/sex. About what I expected though, losing a significant amount of weight just seems to lead to a permanently slowed metabolism.

• Options
    85% isn't bad, it's probably within expected variance.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular

That's entirely possible. I wouldn't be surprised if the extra hip work and the mindset made a difference. If I'm whiny beforehand I shoot myself in the foot.

So, BigMen, questions:
    I'm looking at a GHD. I'm strongly considering (wife's input as well) this one from Strength Shop USA https://www.strengthshopusa.com/gym-equipment/dx2-glute-ham-developer-deluxe-half-moon-pads.html

I've looked at the elitefts ones, and I like them, but I don't like the 4-6 week shipping and their sale on GHD's came at the wrong time. I considered the Rogue Abrams 2.0 because I also like the easy adjustment set-up it has. The Rogue one is like $836 with shipping and tax. That's like the highest end of my price range.

On the other hand, the deluxe strength shop model looks quite a bit sturdier than most GHD's that I've seen advertised between $350-450, so I'm leaning towards that one, as it would also allow me to check out this bad boy (which I'm also not totally sold on, cause it's valor fitness, but hell, it might be worth checking out): http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Super-Hex-Trap-Bar/10698685/product.html

the third thing is, I still really, really want a reverse hyper, but it can wait, so long as I can do banded reverse hypers off the GHD. But TSS has that combo GHD/Reverse Hyper for $695, and I could drive and pick it up. They're also selling weights for .70 cents/lb after they get done with the powerlifting meets they set up in March. My experience is, things that can do multiple things might be adequate, but never quite live up to a dedicated platform. http://www.texasstrengthsystems.com/products/machines-specialty-equipment/glute-ham-combo

So, any advice or other suggestions would be much appreciated, but right now I'm considering the StrengthShop GHD and the neat trap bar, as I miss carrying shit and my wife's hip is terminally fucked so pulling from the floor on conventional deadlifts is pretty uncomfortable but she can squat with minimal issue.

Just one man's opinion, I'd get the Strength Shop GHD and some other hex bar, maybe even the Strength Shop one to save on shipping? Valor makes real crap, I wouldn't buy anything of theirs and definitely not a bar.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Peen wrote: »

So, BigMen, questions:

Just one man's opinion, I'd get the Strength Shop GHD and some other hex bar, maybe even the Strength Shop one to save on shipping? Valor makes real crap, I wouldn't buy anything of theirs and definitely not a bar.

Thanks! That's the kind of reassurance I wanted to hear.

That power-lift trap bar I spoke of, I checked their website and they had two used ones for less than half the cost of a new one ($800). When I contacted them they sold them already and their list was updated the 18th.

But I am on a list for contact when they have more available.

Edit: I didn't look that hard for reviews on valor stuff, but reading what their stuff is rated for is what made me wary, and like dporowski concern with the handles being a point of failure(although having used similar equipment but more reputable, wasn't an issue), that is something I considered coming from valor.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    is it a problem if my spinal erectors and upper traps are super tight after heavy pullups

This discussion has been closed.