Options

GOG.com | AI are creating hyper-detailed HD Kilrathi hair

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Glal wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    FWIW, I highly recommend the book as well (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep)
    What I dig about the Blade Runner 'collection' is that Blade Runner isn't a literal adaptation of the novel, yet it feels in the spirit of the book.
    And the game isn't a literal adaptation of the movie, yet it feels in the spirit of it.

[fake edit] Aw shit, hell yea Caves of Steel, all the Elijah Baley books are a delight. <3

Still kind of amazed Caves of Steel hasn't been turned into a TV series yet.

Seems like a really easy single season thing to do. All underground, so CGI budget isn't that hard. And Daneel is a robot that is supposed to look identical to a human.

They already made one in the '60s!

GoG have ticked a lot of boxes as far as older titles go for me, there is only really a handful left I'd like to see released.

Kelor on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Kelor wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    FWIW, I highly recommend the book as well (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep)
    What I dig about the Blade Runner 'collection' is that Blade Runner isn't a literal adaptation of the novel, yet it feels in the spirit of the book.
    And the game isn't a literal adaptation of the movie, yet it feels in the spirit of it.

[fake edit] Aw shit, hell yea Caves of Steel, all the Elijah Baley books are a delight. <3

GoG have ticked a lot of boxes as far as older titles go for me, there is only really a handful left I'd like to see released.

I think you're right, but I have been surprising myself lately about how many games are still not there or new ones I hadn't thought about in decades. Just makes me realize how many fucking games I played growing up, haha.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    They really did a number on the key art for this re-release. McCoy looks more grizzled on their headers than his voxel choir boy self ever looked.

I started playing this when SCUMMVM added support (since I've been holding on to this CD copy for years) and the game is very weird. It has such an emphasis on systems and simulation that it can feel very much unlike an adventure game. It defaults to automated dialog choices, and you have to manually override that setting if you want to be able to pick what you say. Or you can select a different "disposition" so you always pick mean or crazy responses. I've never played anything quite like it.

edit: for comparison:

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Since this release is using ScummVM to power it, you can also add subtitles (since the game does not include any by default). The file is on ScummVM's website; just drop it into the game directory and enable it from the ScummVM front end or the menu in-game.

(The GOG shortcuts launch straight into the game, but adding it to Steam and launching it from there without tweaking command line arguments launches into the ScummVM front end first.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I still have my Blade Runner CDs laying around. That damn area with the boards and the rats! I still get steamed about that crap.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I confess, I don't check GOG nearly as often as I should, but I'm consistently impressed by the titles they bring back. Anachronox, System Shock 2, SWAT 4, and now Blade Runner are the four top titles I thought would never get proper modern re-releases, and yet here we are. Blade Runner in particular seemed thorny; I still have my disc copy as well and remember the last time trying to run it as an exercise in techno-witchcraft. I'd have thought the license stayed with EA when they bought and subsequently killed Westwood (the game actually had clips from the C&C1 jukebox in the BGM) and I'd love to hear the story behind all this.

In any case, I do remember it being an excellent game. It did have some clunky elements, and pretty much every combat scenario was a 'can you click on this moving, often small-due-to-perspective lump of pixels before it gets close and stunlocks you' situation. Still, it was remarkable how well it matched the mood of the film, and as mentioned earlier some people could either be human or replicant between playthroughs. Peoples' statements changed, they weren't always available when you went looking for them... it ran the risk of feeling superfluously random but, for me, it did a better job than its contemporaries emulating detective work. You spend most of the game collecting evidence, comparing statements, analyzing photos, administering the VK test; anything that actually feels like a proper investigation tickles the right parts of my brain, and there really wasn't much like it at the time.

Maybe it won't hold up, who knows, but I'm not exaggerating when I say I got the email notice from GOG while I was filling up on gas, and did a full-throated "HOLY FUCK!" on the spot. Thankfully I was the only one at the pumps at the time, but that's genuinely one of the biggest and most pleasant surprises of the year. Pounced on it right away, can't wait to tear into it all over again.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Finished Alone in the Dark 1! Sure I used a guide for places but overall it was a spooky game. All in all it was probably an hour and a half run.

• Options
    Oh my God the production value in the second is light years ahead of the first! This is great!

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Oh my God the production value in the second is light years ahead of the first! This is great!

That's the one I played the most of back in the day, but I never did finish it. That opening area is intense.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Finished Alone in the Dark 1! Sure I used a guide for places but overall it was a spooky game. All in all it was probably an hour and a half run.

Now you are making me want to play this game and actually complete it for once. I had this game when it first came out. Got stuck in what is probably early on and never figured it out so I just quit and moved on.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Now you are making me want to play this game and actually complete it for once. I had this game when it first came out. Got stuck in what is probably early on and never figured it out so I just quit and moved on.

Me too! I'm almost positive I barely made it downstairs when it first came out.

• Options
    Man, Sin is a pretty disappointing game. I'm about halfway through so far. The first level centered around the bank is great and then it just goes downhill from there. The level design is not good and often really confusing on where you are supposed to go or what you are supposed to do. The flow for so many levels is poor and just boring. Not to mention that the "Hard" difficulty is WAY too hard. The enemies turn into huge bullet sponges, have aimbot accuracy, and do shit loads of damage. Most enemies by themselves can take all your health away very quickly, if not in a couple shots. I had an instance where I was in an elevator near the exit for a level and an enemy stationed right outside the elevator door with a chaingun would kill me in 2 shots (I had 57 health). 99% of the time, even when using an item to greatly increase my speed, I could not get away from the aimbot accuracy and kept dying. I probably had to reload close to 30 times just to get to a spot behind a box and save. Oh and on "Hard", you will be quicksaving after every enemy encounter. The game is VERY stingy with health and ammo. I'm basically never getting ammo for the shotgun, so I have had to keep using the machine gun pretty much the entire time so far and for health, most of the time you are praying that the enemies have health on them after killing them since most of the levels I've played, health is almost non-existent.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Man, Sin is a pretty disappointing game. I'm about halfway through so far. The first level centered around the bank is great and then it just goes downhill from there. The level design is not good and often really confusing on where you are supposed to go or what you are supposed to do. The flow for so many levels is poor and just boring. Not to mention that the "Hard" difficulty is WAY too hard. The enemies turn into huge bullet sponges, have aimbot accuracy, and do shit loads of damage. Most enemies by themselves can take all your health away very quickly, if not in a couple shots. I had an instance where I was in an elevator near the exit for a level and an enemy stationed right outside the elevator door with a chaingun would kill me in 2 shots (I had 57 health). 99% of the time, even when using an item to greatly increase my speed, I could not get away from the aimbot accuracy and kept dying. I probably had to reload close to 30 times just to get to a spot behind a box and save. Oh and on "Hard", you will be quicksaving after every enemy encounter. The game is VERY stingy with health and ammo. I'm basically never getting ammo for the shotgun, so I have had to keep using the machine gun pretty much the entire time so far and for health, most of the time you are praying that the enemies have health on them after killing them since most of the levels I've played, health is almost non-existent.

The demo of that game was the bank level, and I played that thing many times. I never did pick up the full game, and it's a shame the rest of the game wasn't as good. The demo was promising.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Dune II is the one I'm still hanging for.

Maybe the movie next year will drum up enough interest to get something happening.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    lol, Sin was a great game in
    *checks notes*

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I imagine the main issue there was the difficulty picked- old games don't fuck around and Hard tends to mean "reload each encounter until you get a good run". Fine if you're a kid with a limited budget replaying one of their few games, not fun if you just want to finish the game.

Max Payne, as great a game as it is, was a nightmare that way. You could slow motion jump sideways into a room and before your guns even cleared the door frame the enemy facing away would turn around and shoot you in the head.

• Options

GOG instituting a very generous refund policy.

• Options
    TelMarine wrote: »

GOG instituting a very generous refund policy.

Wow 30 days even if you downloaded and played it?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    1) Yay for consumer friendly policies!
    2) Hope this doesn't bankrupt them!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    If you download it they can't track if you played it or not if you don't use Galaxy, so that makes sense. Crazy good of them though

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    So far, the only game I bought off GOG that I would have gotten a refund on was Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient. Barely 2 hours long, is mostly pandering trash, and ends just when it's getting good.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    if that would kill them, then piracy woulda done that long ago

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Piracy is less convenient than buying from them (virus risk, time spent searching for the right version) but buying and "returning" (but retaining a copy) is more convenient than just buying (you get to keep your money). I strongly suspect that accounts that over-return games will see some kind of penalty.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    GSM wrote: »
    Piracy is less convenient than buying from them (virus risk, time spent searching for the right version) but buying and "returning" (but retaining a copy) is more convenient than just buying (you get to keep your money). I strongly suspect that accounts that over-return games will see some kind of penalty.

I could see them slapping a fair-use policy onto that if it starts getting abused like that. Which it might, sadly. But start by flagging accounts that return x% of purchases and go from there, I guess.

• Options
    On the flip side, policies like this make me want to support them more. So hopefully my buying more will offset the jerks stealing.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    GSM wrote: »
    You could already do this ever since they started offering refunds- just buy the game, download it and refund it immediately. Hasn't stopped them turning into the second largest software house in Europe after Ubisoft (at least I assume they're not separate from CD Projekt).

Glal on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I decided to give GoG a go on a couple of sale items, and I think this might be my new go to platform. I find Galaxy 2.0 better than Steam for what I need, and being able to download offline installers is something I didn’t know I missed until now.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    GOG Galaxy is the only platform I use to launch games now. I was using the itch.io one for a little while but I don't have too many games there on rotation so I just add those ones manually - easy enough. Otherwise it's mooshing my GOG, steam, Xbox game pass and ubi launchers all into one without much fuss. Jobs done, in my books.

Re: refunds. I've only refunded two games in the past with them. One for technical reasons and another because I just didn't like it very much. Had a chat with the customer service rep regarding the latter and came to a good understanding. Looks like that process is getting formalised, which is good! Hurrah for consumer protections!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah, loading my Origin, uPlay and Steam libraries into it with no hassle sure was nice. Also Galaxy is just faster than Steam without all the clutter.

It’s a shame to lose Steam Workshop, because that makes modding just so dang easy and might be the one thing that pushes a Steam purchase over GoG. Like I can’t see myself ever going GoG over Steam for Stellaris because the most scene outside of Steam Workshop might as well not exist.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Gog Galaxy is awesome. Soon as it gets chat working probably almost never start the other clients again.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Yeah, loading my Origin, uPlay and Steam libraries into it with no hassle sure was nice. Also Galaxy is just faster than Steam without all the clutter.
    Oh interesting, for me GoG 2.0 runs like complete garbage, whereas Steam is silky smooth. I feel perhaps it doesn't scale as well?

I've refunded two games on GoG, one for technical reasons, one because the developer turned out to be shits. Spoke with support about it and they refunded both, even the latter that I preordered over a month prior (I got store credit because they couldn't refund transactions that far back, which was fine). They are very accommodating.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Oh interesting, for me GoG 2.0 runs like complete garbage, whereas Steam is silky smooth. I feel perhaps it doesn't scale as well?

On Steam I get really noticeable lag. Changing between Store/Library/Community/etc can have up to a 5 second pause before the transition. Just trying to click on the top right X to close takes a few seconds before it recognizes that I've actually moused over it.

Galaxy 2.0 has been snappy with zero lag with more games visible.

• Options
    Oh, sure, but that's because the Steam client is basically a browser, switching between tabs needs to load up those pages. However, once inside those tabs it's silky smooth.

My problem with GOG2 is that individual "tabs" are hitchy when I'm scrolling around them. Also, the Activity panel for individual games is constantly failing to load (and popping up a message saying it's failed to load) every few seconds. Also, there doesn't appear to be a way to sort by Recent, which is my preferred library view, because it pushes stuff I bought and stuff I played on top; in GoG2 I'll buy a game, go to my library and need to remember its title to find it (which, when you buy a bunch of games on sale, ain't great, since it shuffles them into my 1000+ other titles).

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Oh, sure, but that's because the Steam client is basically a browser, switching between tabs needs to load up those pages. However, once inside those tabs it's silky smooth.

It's actually not. When I am on a games page, I get the same lag on buttons for thins like Workshop. I get lag when just scrolling over the drop down menu items on the top menu. I have a library of just 200 games and I get lag scrolling through them, so bad that I leave it on only showing installed games, and try to not uninstall games I may want to play later so I don't have to deal with the lag. The whole Steam interface has a delay of a couple of seconds, more on some buttons than others. I've tried a bunch of suggestions I've seen around for reducing it, and nothing does. I'm on a 50mb/s fibre connection and videos on Steam regularly fail to actually load, and if they do I can't view them full screen or they immediately infinitely buffer (I can Stream 4k without issue).

I get none of that on Galaxy, nor have I had anything fail to load.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    I have that issue with videos on Steam pages too, only occasionally when they're in the default view but every time if I try fullscreen. On an 80Mb down pipe and on multiple PCs.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I wish GoG worked with GeForce Now. There have been games lately that I want to play but my computer is pretty old at this point. One day!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I thought GF Now was per-game, not per-service, and that's the reason they need to jump through all the "get permission from publishers" bullshit?

• Options
    It is, but they have to authenticate that you own the game. And a lot of the games I want to play right now I have on GOG.

• Options
    Oh, I guess I'm not actually sure how their authentication works. When I first heard of the service my assumption was that you'd link it to your digital store accounts and get access to the games on them, but it sounds more hoop-jumpy than that.

• Options
    Oh, I guess I'm not actually sure how their authentication works. When I first heard of the service my assumption was that you'd link it to your digital store accounts and get access to the games on them, but it sounds more hoop-jumpy than that.

No, that's exactly how it works. But there's no authentication between GOG and GeForce Now yet.