Options

GOG.com | AI are creating hyper-detailed HD Kilrathi hair

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Ah, gotcha. Hm. I wonder what the legal justification for the publishers needing to "permit" Nvidia to run your own property on remote hardware is, then (I mean the need to have them say yes, not the need for Nvidia to confirm you legally own it). I'm going to guess "fuck all, but they want money".

Glal on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Ah, gotcha. Hm. I wonder what the legal justification for the publishers needing to "permit" Nvidia to run your own property on remote hardware is, then (I mean the need to have them say yes, not the need for Nvidia to confirm you legally own it). I'm going to guess "fuck all, but they want money".

Usually when you buy a game from one of these services, you aren't actually 'buying' the game, you're buying a license to run the game, which can have different restrictions on them, such as whether on local hardware or not.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    If so, that'd be an interesting case to test when it comes to terminals and remote desktop software, then. I've not really heard of someone like Real VNC being sued for enabling activity that breaks a software license (and big business software puts games companies to shame when it comes to being litigious).

Tbh, sounds more like bullshit you throw into an EULA because you know it'll never go to court.

[edit] Yep, it's a EULA thing.

Glal on
  • Options
    EULA's are definitely legally enforceable, they just usually aren't because it's not worth it for large companies to sue millions of users. If Nvidia is doing it through, then it's much more attractive for a lawsuit, because they definitely have enough money to be worth going after.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Last time I checked EULAs were largely still in the "there were a few cases going both ways, but no solid precedent" land, because companies throw everything and the kitchen sink in there, including stuff that would require some heavy precedent to actually be legally binding, so by and large they'd rather just threaten and waggle their moneybags around than potentially have it go against them.

[edit] Patrick Klepeck mentioned on the latest Waypoint that he's writing an article about the whole nVidia Now thing and talking with lawyers to figure out what's what, so that should be an interesting read once it's out.

Glal on
  • Options
    EULA's with ridiculous unreasonable clauses are not enforceable, but that's true of all contracts. EULA's are still a class of contract, and are not inherently invalid.

If you want a real example that's very common, you can look at all of the EULA's nowadays that require mandatory arbitration. These are also much easier to enforce for companies, because they don't require the company to sue a user to have effect.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I guess fittingly mandatory arbitration is only legal in the US, even if you do stick it into another EULA.

Also, I never said EULAs are inherently invalid or never enforceable, perhaps you are reading my comment too literally?

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Here's a recent story that is semi-relevant and interesting and figured people discussing eulas might find interesting:
    https://www.npr.org/2020/03/04/812264543/episode-976-terms-of-service

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Even if the sun is shining and the flowers have already started to bloom where you live, health and safety are on everybody's mind right now. Closing the shades and playing video games can be one of the good ways to relax and pass the time when you stay at home. We're here to help you choose your next great adventure with this selection of free games from our catalog and a massive Spring Sale running until March 30th.

https://gog.com/partner/stay_at_home?pp=d051bf1ddf82f79c6af34f7f4e59707f081296ad

Akalabeth: World of Doom
    Alder's Blood Prologue
    Beneath a Steel Sky
    Bio Menace
    Builders of Egypt: Prologue
    CAYNE
    Doomdark's Revenge
    Eschalon: Book I.
    Flight of the Amazon Queen
    GWENT: The Witcher Card Game
    Hello Neighbor (Alpha Version)
    Jill of the Jungle: The Complete Trilogy
    Legend of Keepers: Prologue
    The Lords of Midnight Deal post
    Lure of the Temptress
    Overload (Playable Teaser)
    POSTAL: Classic and Uncut
    Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves
    Shadow Warrior Classic Complete
    Stargunner
    Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius
    Teenagent
    Treasure Adventure Game
    Tyrian 2000
    Ultima 4: Quest of the Avatar
    Ultima Worlds of Adventure 2: Martian Dreams
    Worlds of Ultima: The Savage Empire

I've bolded all the ones I have fond memories of.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    https://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_goodies_collection

Witcher goodies collection for free. Soundtracks, concert videos, making-of videos, wallpapers, arts, books etc.

(Also, since the list of free games there and on their site doesn't note it, Doomdark's Revenge is the sequel to The Lords of Midnight.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    You can also grab (if you haven't already) both Deus Ex games for $2.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    If anyone likes digital art books, this might be neat and it's currently free: https://www.gog.com/game/spring_sale_goodies_collection_1
    In this pack, you’ll see beautiful, eye-catching artbooks from A Plague Tale: Innocence, GreedFall, Styx: Shards of Darkness, both parts of The Surge series, and Vampyr. It also includes neat digital goodies, like avatars and wallpapers, for Darkest Dungeon and wallpapers from Obduction. Finally, Spring Sale Goodies Collection #1 comes with the artbook and an OST for the Unforeseen Incidents - both full of mystery and wonder just like the game itself.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    more free artbooks, game soundtracks and wallpapers: https://www.gog.com/game/spring_sale_goodies_collection_2
    • Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Artbook
    • Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun - Artbook
    • Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Soundtrack (mp3)
    • Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Soundtrack (flac)
    • Neverwinter Nights: Darkness Over Daggerford - Soundtrack (mp3)
    • Neverwinter Nights: Darkness Over Daggerford - Soundtrack (flac)
    • Neverwinter Nights: Premium Adventures - Soundtrack (mp3)
    • Frostpunk, Children of Morta, Moonlighter - wallpapers and avatars

steam_sig.png

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Started playing through System Shock 1: Enhanced Edition. I had played it a little bit a year ago or so (only like 1.5 hours) but my save got lost somehow so I started over again. Good thing too, since the controls are a bit complex. Switching between aiming with mouselook and the mouse to select items/HUD enhancements and picking up stuff is a bit annoying (not to mention the limited inventory space starting to get a little annoying). I'm enjoying it though and even though it's 26 years old, it's still a little bit unsettling at times. Oh and I'm so thankful for the automap. There's no way I'd be able to find my way around. I still get lost because you have to remember where things are on different floors (I had to look up where one place I was supposed to go was again because I didn't remember the floor it was on).

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Geez, was playing System Shock and ran into an area where I got a message from SHODAN. Then like 30 seconds later I noticed what might be a light flicker in my room and then another 30 seconds later one of the bulbs in one of my floor lamps just gave out and the sound it made scared the hell outta me. This game! lol

• Options
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Switching between aiming with mouselook and the mouse to select items/HUD enhancements and picking up stuff is a bit annoying
    You could always plays with the original controls. No mouselook, inventory mode at all times! 8-)

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Switching between aiming with mouselook and the mouse to select items/HUD enhancements and picking up stuff is a bit annoying
    You could always plays with the original controls. No mouselook, inventory mode at all times! 8-)

And you could slam your hand in a door. Repeatedly.
    I mean, if you wanted to.

• Options
    System Shock completed! The ending was rather...abrupt. It also goes by quick, I didn't have time to read one of the panels so I found it on youtube. Pretty unspectacular. Overall, enjoyed it. I had to look at a walkthrough twice for hints on where to go (like getting the reactor code, how the hell was I suppose to know those single digit numbers on the computer screens would be needed again...when some codes displayed aren't even used), but other than that, I was able to get through the rest on my own. The game starts to get really fucking stingy with health after like the 2nd floor and i didn't even realize the respawn points were actually respawn points (I didn't die for a while in the beginning) so when I kept turning off cyborg conversion, I thought I was preventing enemy respawn (I guess this is where reading the manual comes in). Since later in the game they very rarely give you health (except the very last stage which they give you a shit load of health, of which i used only like 20% of), I would keep just purposefully dying to heal up (I did this in Bioshock too). I wasn't a fan of the shield system. Later on you get an upgraded shield which uses an enormous amount of energy, but you never get boosters to your energy. You just have to find an upgraded version of a gadget so it'll reduce the energy usage. It's not until the 2nd to last level you get an upgraded shield that dramatically reduces the energy usage. If you don't have enough energy for shields, you die very very quickly.

One tip, do not stay away from this game for long if you are playing through it. The levels are ginormous and you better remember where you've been before plus listen to all the logs, read all e-mails, etc. There are times where it's not exactly clear where you are supposed to go or if you know where to go but you forget where 1 room is, have fun running around trying to find it again. There is a lot of backtracking too, so having it fresh in your mind is gonna really be the only way to beat it, in my opinion.

I thought the cyberspace was an interesting addition, but it's kinda clumsy. The movement is awkward, the control isn't good, there's a weird lack of sound (like shooting the little pulses and destroying enemies), and I didn't even realize till later that I had to run into these square looking things to unlock doors in parts of that level (I suppose this is where the manual would help again).

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    System Shock completed

I tried the remake out and it was both ugly and interesting to look at. What does enhanced look like compared to the demo?
    https://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_demo

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    System Shock completed

I tried the remake out and it was both ugly and interesting to look at. What does enhanced look like compared to the demo?
    https://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_demo

Being able to run at a high res (2k) really helps a lot, imo. It is not nearly as pixelated as if you had to run the original res of course. I also am not bothered by 1990s graphics, so I thought it was perfectly fine. One issue that may crop up is switches can sometimes blend into a wall texture (an issue all older games had) or they are hidden, so you might miss them.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    System Shock completed! The ending was rather...abrupt. It also goes by quick, I didn't have time to read one of the panels so I found it on youtube. Pretty unspectacular. Overall, enjoyed it. I had to look at a walkthrough twice for hints on where to go (like getting the reactor code, how the hell was I suppose to know those single digit numbers on the computer screens would be needed again...when some codes displayed aren't even used), but other than that, I was able to get through the rest on my own. The game starts to get really fucking stingy with health after like the 2nd floor and i didn't even realize the respawn points were actually respawn points (I didn't die for a while in the beginning) so when I kept turning off cyborg conversion, I thought I was preventing enemy respawn (I guess this is where reading the manual comes in). Since later in the game they very rarely give you health (except the very last stage which they give you a shit load of health, of which i used only like 20% of), I would keep just purposefully dying to heal up (I did this in Bioshock too). I wasn't a fan of the shield system. Later on you get an upgraded shield which uses an enormous amount of energy, but you never get boosters to your energy. You just have to find an upgraded version of a gadget so it'll reduce the energy usage. It's not until the 2nd to last level you get an upgraded shield that dramatically reduces the energy usage. If you don't have enough energy for shields, you die very very quickly.

One tip, do not stay away from this game for long if you are playing through it. The levels are ginormous and you better remember where you've been before plus listen to all the logs, read all e-mails, etc. There are times where it's not exactly clear where you are supposed to go or if you know where to go but you forget where 1 room is, have fun running around trying to find it again. There is a lot of backtracking too, so having it fresh in your mind is gonna really be the only way to beat it, in my opinion.

I thought the cyberspace was an interesting addition, but it's kinda clumsy. The movement is awkward, the control isn't good, there's a weird lack of sound (like shooting the little pulses and destroying enemies), and I didn't even realize till later that I had to run into these square looking things to unlock doors in parts of that level (I suppose this is where the manual would help again).

It helps to write stuff like the reactor codes, open tasks and your current to-do on the map, especially for a first run-through.

I don't remember health being stingy, like at all. Were you using the medipatch derms as well as the first aid kits? First aid kits are kind of rare, but there should have been a ton of dermal patches, way more than you could use unless you never turned on shields. Also, the first two levels (and one of the later ones) have surgery machines for free healing.

Also, I don't think the reconstruction machines were described in the manual. They were explained in the logs and emails.

SS: Enhanced Edition is way more primitive than the remake. It came out at the same time as DOOM, so the bad guys are all sprites, hardly anything besides the floors and walls is 3D, and the lighting is pre-3D acceleration. But I miss being able to write on the map.

• Options
    Orogogus wrote: »

It helps to write stuff like the reactor codes, open tasks and your current to-do on the map, especially for a first run-through.

I don't remember health being stingy, like at all. Were you using the medipatch derms as well as the first aid kits? First aid kits are kind of rare, but there should have been a ton of dermal patches, way more than you could use unless you never turned on shields. Also, the first two levels (and one of the later ones) have surgery machines for free healing.

Also, I don't think the reconstruction machines were described in the manual. They were explained in the logs and emails.

SS: Enhanced Edition is way more primitive than the remake. It came out at the same time as DOOM, so the bad guys are all sprites, hardly anything besides the floors and walls is 3D, and the lighting is pre-3D acceleration. But I miss being able to write on the map.

I started writing codes down, I just didn't know that those numbers would actually come into play. There is a log that mentions CPU rooms in levels 1-6 but how the hell am I supposed to know those were the CPU rooms. I just blew up transformer looking things to reduce security.

I was. The med patches barely heal though. In the first couple levels you get a lot of them (the initial mutants have a decent percentage chance of having them), but once you get to level 3, the organic enemies basically never have any items and the robots all have ammo (with a very very rare chance to have a healing item). Then all of the sudden in level 8 they give you like 10 1st aid kits.

Oh I forgot one other thing. How the fuck are you supposed to know you need the plastique explosives and that you will need 4 of them? Classic old game bullshit. I knew i needed the interface demodulator, but how many? They give you 4 or 5, but you only need 1.

• Options
    The ones you use for the antenna relays? There are 4, so you need 4?

Unless you find them early, but if you're solving a puzzle before you see it, I'm not sure it's fair to blame the game that you don't know what it wants from you at that point. :D

• Options
    The ones you use for the antenna relays? There are 4, so you need 4?

Unless you find them early, but if you're solving a puzzle before you see it, I'm not sure it's fair to blame the game that you don't know what it wants from you at that point. :D

You get them on floor 4 I believe and don't use them till floor 7.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Sure, but you only picked them up because they're unique items and you know in a video game you should carry those with you. That's not really the game's fault.
    I do the same thing in adventure games, start solving environmental puzzles before knowing why as I've not spoken to the right person yet, but at that point you accept that you normally can't finish the puzzle yet.

[edit] Relatedly, playing SS1 first really changes the feel of the final level of SS2 (I was freaking out when I stepped into the recreation of the first level) and the biome section of the last Prey game (that is totally a nod to the Groves, Arkane are such LGS nerds. As if calling their fake wall tech Looking Glass wasn't enough of a tip-off).

[edit 2] Actually, I now remember and am amused at how SS2 solved the "finding key items early" issue- by simply hiding them among dozens of other unique items that you can't possibly carry at all times. Making the research chemicals bulky, diverse and not directly useful organically made the player nope out of carrying them along Just In Case.

Glal on
  • Options
    Sure, but you only picked them up because they're unique items and you know in a video game you should carry those with you. That's not really the game's fault.
    I do the same thing in adventure games, start solving environmental puzzles before knowing why as I've not spoken to the right person yet, but at that point you accept that you normally can't finish the puzzle yet.

[edit] Relatedly, playing SS1 first really changes the feel of the final level of SS2 (I was freaking out when I stepped into the recreation of the first level) and the biome section of the last Prey game (that is totally a nod to the Groves, Arkane are such LGS nerds. As if calling their fake wall tech Looking Glass wasn't enough of a tip-off).

[edit 2] Actually, I now remember and am amused at how SS2 solved the "finding key items early" issue- by simply hiding them among dozens of other unique items that you can't possibly carry at all times. Making the research chemicals bulky, diverse and not directly useful organically made the player nope out of carrying them along Just In Case.

I think a better way, which a lot of games these days do, is have quest items/mandatory items just take a separate slot that don't count towards your normal inventory space.

• Options
    It's only better if you think the point of the quest was to put three arbitrary objects together. Rather than, you know, force the player to go scavenge around a creepy, non-linear ship.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    It's only better if you think the point of the quest was to put three arbitrary objects together. Rather than, you know, force the player to go scavenge around a creepy, non-linear ship.

At least for me, I wasn't quite sure if the plastique was a required item or just a rare item that you get. Interface demodulator is mentioned in logs, so I knew that had to be a quest item (but why give the player more than 1? Is it randomized?). When you encounter the plastique, there's like 10 or more of them in 1 spot which seemed to suggest to me this is a high value item, so i tried to fit a decent amount (I carried 3). It's not really scrounging, they are all placed in 1 location. It's not like you explore around the ship to find them one by one, but remembering where you encountered them is the tough part.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    Total Annihilation + expansion free on GOG next 2 days!

https://www.gog.com/game/total_anihilation_commander_pack

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    How do people with large libraries navigate their libraries with GOG Galaxy, especially in list view? It seems difficult since it's got a tiny mobile-style scroll bar, and you can't type the first letters to jump around in the list. I don't think you can even PgUp/PgDn in list view. It works in grid view, but it tends to put focus in the wrong place so you have to click on a blank space first. It's possible that this would work for list view, too, but I can't find a blank space to click and get focus.

• Options
    I really hate that there's no sensible "sort by purchase time" in GG2. It was there in the original iteration, it's the default view on the website library, but in the client the closest you have is the top 20 or so in the "most recent" rab and that's it.

One time I bought a couple of games on sale I'd had on my wishlist for years, then had a brainfart and forgot one of their names. And then couldn't for the life of me find the second one, because it disappeared into The Pile Of Thousands.

• Options
    GOG is doing a thing where if you have Witcher 3 on another platform (Xbox, Steam, PlayStation, etc.) and you connect that account with GOG Galaxy, then you get Witcher 3 for free on GOG. If you have the GOTY edition, you will get the GOTY on GOG for free. If you have the base game plus all the DLC, you will only get the base game for free.

Source

steam_sig.png

• Options
    RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    I'm not one a them thar computer folks. Is the Steam integration on GOG galaxy using the Steam API yet, or is it still just logging into Steam directly?

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Russad wrote: »
    I'm not one a them thar computer folks. Is the Steam integration on GOG galaxy using the Steam API yet, or is it still just logging into Steam directly?

It's still logging into Steam directly. There are two stated reasons. First, Steam rate limits API clients significantly more aggressively then the browser clients. Syncing a large library could take several minutes instead of a few seconds. The second reason is that the API doesn't expose all the information that the browser does.

The plugin is open source, and the developer has indicated that they'd accept patches that added Steam API support, but nothing has been submitted yet.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    GOG is doing a thing where if you have Witcher 3 on another platform (Xbox, Steam, PlayStation, etc.) and you connect that account with GOG Galaxy, then you get Witcher 3 for free on GOG. If you have the GOTY edition, you will get the GOTY on GOG for free. If you have the base game plus all the DLC, you will only get the base game for free.

Source

I wonder if this got updated. I only just got around to doing it, and I have the regular edition on Steam with the DLCs added later. And it gave me the GOTY on GOG.

But then, apparently unlike other platforms if I'm reading them right, Steam itself seems to make no distinction between the main game + DLCs and the GOTY edition, so that might be why.

Anyone else noticed this? It was a pleasant surprise.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    The Eye of the Beholder trilogy is currently free. There's a sale on the other D&D games.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Warhammer 40,000: Rites of War is currently free for 48 hours.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Thank you for posting the freebies! I would probably miss out on them.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    This isn't a freebie, but the GOG Galaxy 2.0 integration with the Epic Store is now official and built into the client. It uses proper authentication and the Epic API and everything.

Galaxy is still a bit finicky about automatically updating for some reason. I had to re-run the installer to get the latest version.