As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GOG.com | AI are creating hyper-detailed HD Kilrathi hair

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I wish Gog was more consistent about cross platform support. Seems like any game running Dosbos should be a no brainer to come out on Windows / Mac / Linux but often they package stuff for only 1 or two platforms.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    It would be nice if they offered a zip of the game files as one of the goodies. Then you could just set up your own DOSbox install.

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    GOG just started a spring sale for those of use who are tired of winter. Some pretty good prices on a bunch of stuff.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I had no idea Willy Beamish was on GOG. I have the Sega CD version, but the load times are atrocious to say the least.

...looking at the PC version, I think it's best staying a Sega CD game.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Full Throttle Remaster is up for pre-order: https://www.gog.com/game/full_throttle_remastered

20% off, making it $12.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    GOG Galaxy is coming out of beta.

Update includes:
    • save syncing and cloud backup
    • hibernate mode
    • bandwidth limiting and scheduling
    • FPS counter
    • screenshot capturing
    • in-game overlay
    • achievement rarity
    • desktop and in-game notifications system
    • new chat
    • and more

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Cloud saving for old games? Heck yes.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Fantastic news!!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Another example of why I like CD Projekt Red:

I really appreciate this kind of openness and explanation.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    The idea that CD PROJEKT RED could should own the trademark for "cyberpunk," a word predating Mike Pondsmith's system by a decade, is absurd.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure the word "apple" predates Steve Jobs, too.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The idea that CD PROJEKT RED could should own the trademark for "cyberpunk," a word predating Mike Pondsmith's system by a decade, is absurd.

If theres a company you can trust to not be an utter dick about it, its CD Projekt RED

They are about the only game company that exists that has my implicit trust, they wont use that copyright to do anything but narrowly protect their cyberpunk game.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

If theres a company you can trust to not be an utter dick about it, its CD Projekt RED

They are about the only game company that exists that has my implicit trust, they wont use that copyright to do anything but narrowly protect their cyberpunk game.
    Cool story bro. So they merely get to threaten anyone making a game that uses the word "cyberpunk" in the title or description. "Oh, but they won't!" But they can, and unless they sign something legally binding (hahahaha), it's totally within their "right" to go after a Deus Ex or a Shadowrun that uses the word "cyberpunk" in or in connection with their marketing (slogan, etc).

If you don't think those games are basically synonymous with cyberpunk, Google "Deus Ex cyberpunk" or "Shadowrun cyberpunk."

• Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    but doenst trademak only apply to the specific use of Cyberpunk. its not a copyright that they own the idea of cyberpunk, they just have the right to use it as a title etc.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

Cool story bro. So they merely get to threaten anyone making a game that uses the word "cyberpunk" in the title or description. "Oh, but they won't!" But they can, and unless they sign something legally binding (hahahaha), it's totally within their "right" to go after a Deus Ex or a Shadowrun that uses the word "cyberpunk" in or in connection with their marketing (slogan, etc).

If you don't think those games are basically synonymous with cyberpunk, Google "Deus Ex cyberpunk" or "Shadowrun cyberpunk."

Cyberpunk as a word will continue to exist as an adjective and can be used. As he says in the post, this is only enforceable in cases where there is confusion about the product being sold. Trademarks have a fairly narrow application. I would say even if they made a Deus Ex: Cyberpunk, that would probably still be fine as it's not going to be confused for another series.

But at any rate, this is also just the nature of trademarks, and I'm not sure if you're arguing against the very concept of a trademark.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular

That's not how Trademarks work. Trademarks are identifiers of products. Other people can use the word as long it doesn't appear to be associated with CD Projekt's Cyberpunk.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    It's true that trademarks can be wielded like a club and it's kind of the whole point of CDPR's post. They aren't saying people can't use the term "cyberpunk", even in titles of things. They are specifically stating that they aren't going to use it like mojang and "scrolls" or games workshop and "space Marine" (look those up if you want examples of bad application of trademarks). It can actually be used as consumer protection because it will prevent copycats from trying to piggyback on the presumed success of cyberpunk 2077 by causing customer confusion. CDPR has a history of some very consumer friendly decisions and as such, I believe what they are saying. I mostly just appreciate the explanation and understanding as to why people might be concerned.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    They are specifically starting that they aren't going to use it like mojang and "scrolls"

Wasn't that about Bethesda going after Mojang?

• Options
    Orogogus wrote: »
    They are specifically starting that they aren't going to use it like mojang and "scrolls"

I think you're right. I'm on my phone which makes me lazy. Either way, that case is a perfect example, I think.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Orogogus wrote: »

I think you're right. I'm on my phone which makes me lazy. Either way, that case is a perfect example, I think.

Yeah. Also, King with "Saga" (and going after The Banner Saga). I'm not worried with this, though.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Pretty sure the word "apple" predates Steve Jobs, too.

Right. "Apple" goes all the way back the Beatles. :wink:

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options

Cyberpunk as a word will continue to exist as an adjective and can be used. As he says in the post, this is only enforceable in cases where there is confusion about the product being sold. Trademarks have a fairly narrow application. I would say even if they made a Deus Ex: Cyberpunk, that would probably still be fine as it's not going to be confused for another series.

But at any rate, this is also just the nature of trademarks, and I'm not sure if you're arguing against the very concept of a trademark.
    That's not my understanding of the situation based on https://www.uspto.gov/page/about-trademark-infringement but I'm not a trademark lawyer.

It sure seems like any use of the word "cyberpunk" in conjunction with a digital (or heck, board) game would potentially be considered infringement. Just because they say they won't litigate doesn't mean they won't (or scare off other companies from even trying).

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Anyone can sue for any (read: no) reason anyway.

So nothing changes with this one way or another. They just hopefully calm a few people down.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

That's not my understanding of the situation based on https://www.uspto.gov/page/about-trademark-infringement but I'm not a trademark lawyer.

It sure seems like any use of the word "cyberpunk" in conjunction with a digital (or heck, board) game would potentially be considered infringement. Just because they say they won't litigate doesn't mean they won't (or scare off other companies from even trying).

Trademarks are not a cut and dry type of thing, which is why that page lists a lot of factors the court would have to look at.
    the defendant's intent in adopting its mark; and the strength of the plaintiff's mark.

The fact that they made this post stating they would only use it defensively could be shown in court against them if they tried to use it offensively. And since it's a word that existed for a long while beforehand, they could rule that it's a fairly weak mark, without a wide application.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    "Get the Dragon's Tooth Longsword and become the most terrifying cyborg ninja ever."

Look at it this way: If CD Projekt didn't register the trademark and someone else decides to be a dick about it and registers it instead, they'll lose the ability to keep calling their games Cyberpunk like they state in the letter. This is very much a case of don't hate the player, hate the game.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Basically, they want a way to defend the use of CYBERPUNK as the sole operative word in the title of a game to prevent things like NEW FIREWATCH

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    here's a nice lil deal. pre-order Little Nightmares and get a free copy of Inside.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    here's a nice lil deal. pre-order Little Nightmares and get a free copy of Inside.

Wow, that's a deal. INSIDE is absolutely incredible. (Also dark and disturbing. But incredibly dark and disturbing.)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    pretty recent title too so there's bound to be a a fair few that haven't picked it up yet.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I have never heard of either, need to go read about these games now.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    GOG has just put the Saints Row games on GOG Connect for like 6 days. So go here (http://gog.com/connect) and link your Steam account to have your Steam Saints Row games added to your GOG account.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    What's going on with Bruce Campbell?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    What's going on with Bruce Campbell?

https://www.gog.com/game/tachyon_the_fringe

• Options
    GOG has just put the Saints Row games on GOG Connect for like 6 days. So go here (http://gog.com/connect) and link your Steam account to have your Steam Saints Row games added to your GOG account.

also worth mentioning, Saints Row 2 is free for the next day or so. grab it while you can.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

also worth mentioning, Saints Row 2 is free for the next day or so. grab it while you can.

I always miss their freebies by a day or hour, so thanks for the heads up.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    At some point recently I must have purchased or been gifted a bunch of the Incredible Machine games on GOG. It's no exaggeration to say that my current career as an engineer has a lot to do with playing these games in middle school. Every day after classes me and one of my friends would go to the Mod Tech room and work on our own custom puzzles, some of which the instructors used in class!

• Options
    2 things:
    1. Free copy of Eador: Genesis to celebrate the arrival of Gremlins, Inc. I don't know anything about Eador but the price is right :)
    2. If you own Renowned Explorers on Steam, go to GOG.com/connect and get your free GOG copy. I'm excited about this one because this is a perfect game to play on my work breaks but work blocks Steam.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Mount and Blade is free for about 47 hours as of this post.

https://www.gog.com/game/mount_blade

Edit: Felt like I needed to clarified the time frame.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png