Options

[Konami] I guess they remembered they're supposed to make games?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    It's nice this time of year.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    it's not like i have a choice

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think we're past the 'little things' shit that might help publishers who haven't been as dickish as Konami. Going 'hey there's a new iteration of an established franchise coming out that might be playable in 3 or 4 cities in the US' doesn't give most of us any more hope for them. I still don't have hope for Sega, and they've outright admitted how shit they've been to the West for a while. Publishers can say whatever the fuck they want, they'll get my attention when it starts actually happening in reality.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    tumblr_inline_nr67ldQX8K1txzj31_500.gif

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Well, hopefully we won't see Kojima start a kickstarter a few years from now for a spiritual successor to Metal Gear Solid for $1m, wherein hitting the $100m stretch goal will allow him to truly realize the vision that the team has for the game.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I don't think Kojima will be doing anything MGS related for a long time. I fully expect him to direct a movie before he makes a non-MGS game.

But really, I expect he will be experimenting with new IPs for a while.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    MGS is not some no-story NES game like original Megaman, or some "let's kinda reboot this shit but not really" thing like Castlevania (I love both series btw).
    MGS is (far) more story than gameplay, contrary to those series. Going Hur hur "let's kickstart Alloy Cog Hard starring Hard Serpent and his uncle Nude Serpent AKA Hefty Honcho" is far from good enough.

Anyways, as a dozen people said already I really doubt Kojima will hang around Comcept being chill and doing this kinda thing. I'm pretty sure some big company will hire him or partner with him.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    Hefty Honcho is a great name for a boss, especially for something wacky like Punch-Out.

SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So they're taking Kojima's name off the boxart, no surprise.
    I'm considering printing out a replacement cover that says:
    Hideo Kojima's
    Metal Gear Solid V
    The Phantom Pain
    A Hideo Kojima Game
    (By Hideo Kojima)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    There's no point, other than spite, in removing his name from the boxart. Everyone knows it's a Kojima game anyway. It just makes Konami look that much worse. Are they going to scrub his name from the credits too?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm still sad they're not using this as the The Phantom Pain box art, because it perfectly complements the real Ground Zeroes box art (not the shitty western version where they took out Kaz).

0Yfyrqk.jpg?1

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    They removed it months ago, non? Did they put it back, remove it again? :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    There's no point, other than spite, in removing his name from the boxart. Everyone knows it's a Kojima game anyway. It just makes Konami look that much worse. Are they going to scrub his name from the credits too?

His name stays in the credits (for now), but the KojiPro logo is entirely scrubbed.

It's a sickening reminder of what Konami has become and I really hate the idea of putting money down toward something like this.

But the game also looks really awesome, so unless the game itself is somehow fucked over by Konami's actions (and there are rumors circulating about that), I'm still buying it day one.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

His name stays in the credits (for now), but the KojiPro logo is entirely scrubbed.

It's a sickening reminder of what Konami has become and I really hate the idea of putting money down toward something like this.

But the game also looks really awesome, so unless the game itself is somehow fucked over by Konami's actions (and there are rumors circulating about that), I'm still buying it day one.

This is my problem with this. I want the game, but doing that would support Konami, and yet, not buying it would also mean that Kojima and KP's work doesn't go supported even if they're no longer part of Konami.

I hope it's a good send-off to the series, because I sure as hell won't buy another that doesn't have Kojima's hand in it.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    The stronger statement would be to support Kojima's last MGS game and then entirely ignore whatever bullshit Konami makes afterward.

But if reports are to be believed, they won't even bother with another console game, so I guess they win either way.

• Options
    mobile freemium DLC-loaded paid boosts MGS

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    If Konami were smart, they'd do a Remastering of MGS games for the current consoles. Little effort, decent rewards... but then again they fucked up ZoE HD AND Silent Hill HD, so they're not smart.

• Options
    At this point I'm expecting them to delist the digital versions that exist in other platforms.

They seem determined to tell the entire videogame industry to fuck off (but after you buy TPP).

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If Konami were smart, they'd do a Remastering of MGS games for the current consoles. Little effort, decent rewards... but then again they fucked up ZoE HD AND Silent Hill HD, so they're not smart.

They just did a remastering of the MGS games for 360/PS3.

Can't speak for the ZoE remaster but the Silent Hill remaster was not handled by a company that knew what they were doing.

• Options
    It was my fervont hope that Kojima would have released proper HD versions of the SH games while he was working on Silent Hills.

How boy this is a hurt that is NEVER going to go away. I absolutely hate Konami more than any other videogame company right now.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Can't speak for the ZoE remaster but the Silent Hill remaster was not handled by a company that knew what they were doing.
    From what I heard, the ZOE remaster originally had some severe framerate issues, but those were fixed. Otherwise it's pretty decent.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

From what I heard, the ZOE remaster originally had some severe framerate issues, but those were fixed. Otherwise it's pretty decent.

They patched it on PS3 but not on the 360, so the PS3 version is good and the 360 version still sucks.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

It was more than that.

Konami had lost the source code for the older Silent Hill games and only had beta code left, so basically you had a company that didn't know what they were doing having the laughably unenviable task of fixing bugs that weren't even in the original retail release, so really it was like two trainwrecks that just so happened to collide with each other.

• Options
    And yet companies like Bluepoint did their HD versions off of reverse engineering final disc copies of games.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Good God, have none of these companies heard of "Git?"

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    And yet companies like Bluepoint did their HD versions off of reverse engineering final disc copies of games.

vagrant_winds: "Tony Stark built this in a CAVE! With a box of SCRAPS!"

Konami: "Well I'm sorry sir, but I'm not Tony Stark.

...or, you know, competent at anything at all. Honestly I'm shocked that I managed to feed myself this morning and that I'm wearing clothes right now."

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Square Enix did it with the kingdom hearts HD remix. It's pretty damn common, and it seems like Konami are the only ones who REALLY fucked it up.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Good God, have none of these companies heard of "Git?"

I mean, not in the PS2 era. Git was only first released in 2005.

But yeah, it seems like most of these Japanese development shops went decades without any clue what source control is, and saw no business value in retaining assets. It kinda makes sense along the same attitude from those developers at the time to more or less rebuild their engines from scratch for each new project.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    To be fair, it didn't occur to most companies that re-releasing old games would be a good thing until the 360/PS3/Wii era.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Broadcasters routinely wiped tapes of older TV shows on the regular back in the day because the idea of rebroadcasting reruns, much less selling them home video, which was a nonexistent market, never occurred them (the BBC was particularly egregious here). Obvious today, but hindsight is 20/20.

Games are even more fragile than films, television, books, or most other media. Even if you have an old kinescope of a lost film, that's enough to scan in and put on youtube or whatever for people to enjoy; you don't necessarily need the original, uncut film to reconstruct it, because even degraded, it is understandable. Videogames offers much less robustness by their very nature. What good is a game if it crashes in Windows 10 because it was originally designed to run on Windows 98?

In that way, you can see the logic: What great value do you put on work prints from a film, or the first drafts of a novel? The final product is there and comprehensible after all. So who cares about the source code and assets when the actual game is there, right? But like I said, games are very different. You can't really do like film and scan a 35mm print onto 1080p BluRay and call it day (although I suppose emulation is a thing, it's not exactly the same as a native port and contains its own set of caveats), and it took the industry a little bit, like film and television, to recognize the value in old properties. There's a discussion there on how we preserve games, especially in an era where download-only DLC and games are routinely killed, but that's another discussion.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    To be fair, it didn't occur to most companies that re-releasing old games would be a good thing until the 360/PS3/Wii era.

I don't know about that, see: Combo-carts (the officially licensed ones, not the pirated 100-in-1s).

Not to mention the reiterations of every Atari and other Arcade classic.

edit: it's only that the games that are being re-released have sort of grown.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Older games are easier to port because you can just emulate the old console in addition to the game without using much memory or resources. Comparing Atari or NES games to games that came out ten years ago is ignoring the massive amount of increase in complexity and size of both games and systems.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Uh. Nintendo's been re-releasing games for freaking ages.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Nintendo seems to have had a much more forward-thinking approach to storing their old code and assets than the other Japanese developers.

At least, I can't recall any stories of them finishing a project and immediately tossing everything they did on it into a dumpster.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Nintendo seems to have had a much more forward-thinking approach to storing their old code and assets than the other Japanese developers.

At least, I can't recall any stories of them finishing a project and immediately tossing everything they did on it into a dumpster.

Nintendo sells consoles, and consoles need games, and their fanbase is only interested in THEIR games. I don't think it's a matter of them being more sympathetic with retro gaming as much as it's one of the few ways to give their fanbase what they want.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Quiotu wrote: »

Nintendo sells consoles, and consoles need games, and their fanbase is only interested in THEIR games. I don't think it's a matter of them being more sympathetic with retro gaming as much as it's one of the few ways to give their fanbase what they want.

Of course not. I have not argued as such and would not argue as such. They saw the business value in keeping those assets stored, instead of tossing them to make room for more stuff.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I suppose this means I will never see Order of Ecclesia hit the Wii U Virtual Console.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Lots of these examples don't require the source code though. Just the finished product, which if you really had a hell of a spring cleaning can still get by buying a copy and ripping the cart/disc.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

Particularly on-the-nose, since Bluepoint was responsible for the MGS HD Collection (a superb port), and High Voltage Software (the... masters behind the PC "port" of Mortal Kombat X) was responsible for the ZoE HD Collection, which was derped to the point where Kojima Productions had to step in and fix that shit themselves - and only for the PlayStation 3 version, fuck.

BRIAN BLESSED on