As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are you looking forward to at PAX Prime 2015?

forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
I for one am excited to spend some time in Tabletop freeplay and checking out the indie games. I've got a few panels I'm hoping to hit up (and that I hope happen). And there's the MTG party Saturday night, too.

What are you excited to experience at PAX this year?

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.

• Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    I'm hoping that Star Wars: Battlefront will be playable. Grew up with Battlefront II, and I'm hoping that EA didn't harm the franchise too much.

tw787Xr.png

• Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    Drinking

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I for one am excited to spend some time in Tabletop freeplay and checking out the indie games. I've got a few panels I'm hoping to hit up (and that I hope happen). And there's the MTG party Saturday night, too.

For anybody who wants to do Tabletop at PAX Prime and either hasn't before:
    • Tabletop space is very limited at Prime. It's nothing like the huge hall of South. It's mostly a series of meeting rooms off of a 2nd floor hallyway. And a good bit of that limited space is eaten up by reserved space for vendors and some demos.
    • There are normally additional Tabletop spaces spread around PAX. D&D might be going on in the Annex. There might be some tables around the block and next door. This is one of those things I had zero idea about by first year. Use the map and/or ask the Enforcers running it where all the spaces are.
    • It can be extremely hard to find space, especially after the rest of PAX shuts down. The space is small an inadequate even when the rest of PAX is going on.
    • The bar/lobby at The Sheraton is often an impromptu Tabletop space. But remember it is first and always, the Sheraton, not PAX. Feel free to play games, but buy stuff and be extra good guests.

• Options
    YoungFrey wrote: »

For anybody who wants to do Tabletop at PAX Prime and either hasn't before:
    • Tabletop space is very limited at Prime. It's nothing like the huge hall of South. It's mostly a series of meeting rooms off of a 2nd floor hallyway. And a good bit of that limited space is eaten up by reserved space for vendors and some demos.
    • There are normally additional Tabletop spaces spread around PAX. D&D might be going on in the Annex. There might be some tables around the block and next door. This is one of those things I had zero idea about by first year. Use the map and/or ask the Enforcers running it where all the spaces are.
    • It can be extremely hard to find space, especially after the rest of PAX shuts down. The space is small an inadequate even when the rest of PAX is going on.
    • The bar/lobby at The Sheraton is often an impromptu Tabletop space. But remember it is first and always, the Sheraton, not PAX. Feel free to play games, but buy stuff and be extra good guests.

I will second these sentiments. The situation is significantly worse after the Expo Hall closes each evening, because a lot of people head down to tabletop or other freeplay areas.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • Options
    pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    RavenHusky wrote: »
    I'm hoping that Star Wars: Battlefront will be playable. Grew up with Battlefront II, and I'm hoping that EA didn't harm the franchise too much.

I'm in the same boat as you... however I feel like they are going to 'titanfall' it. I am mostly excited to participate in the parties at PAX this year... Last year was the first year I tried Panels and this year will be the first year I try the parties.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • Options
    LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Seeing the recent news in the rumor mill, dare I say... Fallout 4? I'm so hesistant to get excited because we've been burned time and time again, but if Bethesda does end up revealing it at E3 and they decide to bring something FO4-related to PAX (particularly gameplay), I'll be absolutely ecstatic. Prime 2015 best PAX of any PAX ever.

Lazorz on
  • Options
    CodextehFishCodextehFish Vancouver, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I never know what I am most excited for at first. PAX has become an awesome place for me to meet with my industry/non-industry friends I see only a few times a year face to face.

I also personally love the panels with smaller devs who give their advice on how to get in to the games industry. I find them super inspiring and always a great time. PAX got my sister interested in game dev too, so I love watching her interact with people. Because we go with our dad (who is in his 60's and just loves seeing how gaming has changed) we make it our family trip of the year so it is all great fun.

Essentially, I'm just looking forward to going and spending time with family and friends. Its what PAX is for me. Playing unreleased games is just extra awesome.

Attendee:
    Prime: '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15
    West: '16, '17
    East: '14, '15, '16, '17
    South: '15, '16, '17, '18
  • Options
    AaronElWhiteAaronElWhite WARegistered User regular
    Hoping for playable versions of Battlefront II, Persona 5, Disgaea 5, FF XV, the upcoming Zelda, Uncharted 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Fallout 4 (if it's for real). Also always excited for indie games and tabletop.

One thing I will argue is that there is usually a good amount of space at the off-site tabletop areas. Sure, you've got to walk a block or two depending on where it's at, but the only space available isn't the few small rooms in the main convention center.

• Options
    DasJesterDasJester Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My friend and I will be attending Pax Prime and it'll be our first Pax Experience. I'm just looking forward to attending the convention that has to be one of the hardest ones to get tickets for lol. It's going to be cool to see so many gamers in one place. I'm a huge fan of Con Panels so that's pretty much going to be most of my schedule. I'm also hoping to get the Acquisitions Inc PCs to autograph my Penny Arcade "Tabletop Poster" for my game room. So basically I'm going to all the panels and hoping to meet some super cool peeps.

• Options
    BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    I am hoping for some Morpheus love this year!!!!

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • Options
    Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I'm getting cautiously optimistic for Battleborn, so I'm looking forward to the gearbox panel. I'm also hoping for some No Man's Sky action, because that game essentially dictates if I'll need a new cpu.

EDIT: And Duke Nuke Forever 2. A man can dream can't he?

Hoboking006 on
    May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Is it too early for Resident Evil 7? After 6 I'm crossing my fingers that Capcom will pull its head out of its butt and make a fully polished game instead of some weird, half-assed hybrid between GoW and RE.

Also, I concur with Zelda. Though I'm not sure I'm willing to brave the crowd at the Nintendo booth.

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • Options
    Dr.RocktipusDr.Rocktipus Registered User regular
    Each year it seems like I spend less and less time in the expo hall, and that will likely be the case again this year. I'll wait until after E3 before i hype myself up on video games, but board games and magic ought to catch my eye more this year.

• Options
    RiDE wrote: »
    Is it too early for Resident Evil 7? After 6 I'm crossing my fingers that Capcom will pull its head out of its butt and make a fully polished game instead of some weird, half-assed hybrid between GoW and RE.

Also, I concur with Zelda. Though I'm not sure I'm willing to brave the crowd at the Nintendo booth.
    3DS games are the worst. At South, Nintendo just had a number of stations, and the crowd had free access to all of them. So it was just a pack of people and no lines of any kind. On the upside, you could see what was being played ok.

• Options
    Hoping for playable versions of Battlefront II, Persona 5, Disgaea 5, FF XV, the upcoming Zelda, Uncharted 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Fallout 4 (if it's for real). Also always excited for indie games and tabletop.

One thing I will argue is that there is usually a good amount of space at the off-site tabletop areas. Sure, you've got to walk a block or two depending on where it's at, but the only space available isn't the few small rooms in the main convention center.

I'm a little concerned that they won't have anything for Zelda, given Nintendo's recent announcement that the game won't be launching in 2015. I am hoping, though.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    DasJester wrote: »
    My friend and I will be attending Pax Prime and it'll be our first Pax Experience. I'm just looking forward to attending the convention that has to be one of the hardest ones to get tickets for lol. It's going to be cool to see so many gamers in one place. I'm a huge fan of Con Panels so that's pretty much going to be most of my schedule. I'm also hoping to get the Acquisitions Inc PCs to autograph my Penny Arcade "Tabletop Poster" for my game room. So basically I'm going to all the panels and hoping to meet some super cool peeps.

Make sure you watch for the PA autograph session! They often don't have much time to interact directly after panels due to their schedule so you're at least guaranteed a signature if you try there, at least for Mike and Jerry.

• Options
    DasJesterDasJester Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Keroan wrote: »

Make sure you watch for the PA autograph session! They often don't have much time to interact directly after panels due to their schedule so you're at least guaranteed a signature if you try there, at least for Mike and Jerry.

Thanks for the heads up!

As someone who will be new to Pax, are there known huge lines for certain panels?

• Options
    jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    edited May 2015

Thanks for the heads up!

As someone who will be new to Pax, are there known huge lines for certain panels?

It really depends on the panel. Something like the Giant Bomb panel usually gets filled to capacity but something lesser known will typically have room. The plan I used, and have seen other people preach, is to plan for the panels you want to go to and plan a back up in case it fills up.

jamsyarbots on
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular

Thanks for the heads up!

It really depends on the panel. Something like the Giant Bomb panel usually gets filled to capacity but something lesser known will typically have room. The plan I used, and have seen other people preach, is to plan for the panels you want to go to and plan a back up in case it fills up.

Also watch PAX lines on twitter. For panels that are new or are unsure about they do a pretty good job letting you know when the queue is getting full.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options

Thanks for the heads up!

Also watch PAX lines on twitter. For panels that are new or are unsure about they do a pretty good job letting you know when the queue is getting full.

Anything with Mike and Jerry, Gearbox, Bioware, Giant Bomb, and any time a well known dev speaks. And maybe look at the history for PAXLines on twitter and see which lines they are announcing.

• Options
    evermore904evermore904 Registered User regular
    None of my party have ever been to Pax before--we've never even been to any real conventions, though not for lack of trying. I feel like we're going to get so lost in the craziness but I'm so excited to finally have the opportunity to do that.

That being said...y'all should give this noob a rundown on what we simply can't miss!

• Options
    KarickKarick Registered User regular
    None of my party have ever been to Pax before--we've never even been to any real conventions, though not for lack of trying. I feel like we're going to get so lost in the craziness but I'm so excited to finally have the opportunity to do that.

That being said...y'all should give this noob a rundown on what we simply can't miss!

There is so much going on, odd are you will miss something you want to see or do. Take it all in and relax. Do what you can with the time you have. Make sure you meet people and interact. It's easy to get caught up in everything and forget other people are there. Some of the best things come from the people you meet.

Also don't forget that a lot of PAX happens outside the convention. Pre and after parties. Game nights etc. Don't get caught in the expo hall all day every day.

• Options
    LetMeInLetMeIn Registered User regular

Thanks for the heads up!

If you are planning on going to Acq. Inc. then you had better plan ahead.Last year the line was full over an hour before it started.

Also I would suggest looking into getting a folding stool or seat, not a big one because the lines have to be compacted.

• Options
    jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    Karick wrote: »

There is so much going on, odd are you will miss something you want to see or do. Take it all in and relax. Do what you can with the time you have. Make sure you meet people and interact. It's easy to get caught up in everything and forget other people are there. Some of the best things come from the people you meet.

Also don't forget that a lot of PAX happens outside the convention. Pre and after parties. Game nights etc. Don't get caught in the expo hall all day every day.

The nightly post-pax board game gatherings in the hotel lobbies were probably my favorite thing about 2013. It was a great way to meet new people and try new games.

• Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    Looking forward to showing some new folks around. We all do east as we're from MD, and this is the first time I've convinced some folks to head out to Prime with me.

As for more PAX-related things, the big ones for me are always tabletop, concerts, community events, and enforcing.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    More Firefall!

Too soon?

I'm sure once E3 comes around, I'll start figuring out what games are likely to be at PAX and what I'll give a shot. I can't wait to see the concert line up, I'm (always) hoping for JoCo to play. Also, anything community related, those are usually the best and most memorable things!

PimDtoK.png
  • Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'm probably going to spend a lot of my time between the Square Enix and MTG booth. Square should hopefully have something KH3, FFXV, and then patch 3.1 of their new expansion for FFXIV should hopefully be right around the corner. And then magic is magic so you always gotta check that out.

Other than that I'll probably wander and go to panels that catch my eye when I'm not going to parties since I'll finally be 21 and not having to drive back out of the city every night.

• Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    Ah yes the LINES. I would agree with the traveling seat; if you're not used to PAX or standing for hours at a time, your feet are going to be screaming for a stool! Many of the most popular panels require lining up at least an hour in advance, but the pax line twitter feed is your best source. Enforcers will not let anyone lineup too early either!

Depending on what you do, PAX can turn into a line simulator. After a couple of them, I've realized that you either have to plan to hit the stuff you want on days/times when the lines are less, or just skip the less important stuff. Standing in line to play the Transistor demo two years ago for 2.5 hours was more than worth it after I ended up next to an enforcer and a group that played MK7 with me and we got to have a great in depth discussion with the devs about their studio. But that may not be the case for all lines; waiting in line for Project Spark to get the pin was tedious at best.

I'm looking forward to being more casual about PAX. Now that I'm on my third PAX, I feel like I can relax and go with the flow more since I understand more of its secrets. But here's to my first Prime!!

• Options
    Its the PAX Lines that make you realize your lineup at the local Coffee Shop (Tim Hortons) isn't so long in the mornings.

Twitter @Pogoplay
  • Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    This will be my first Prime, first time to Seattle...I'm looking forward to the full PAX experience, BYOC, playing some new games, hearing interesting panels, meeting new friends and of course the parties!

• Options
    skitterbugskitterbug Registered User regular
    I'm super excited for the parties and chatting with you fabulous people in line. Fingers crossed for Persona 5, Disgaea 5, Fallout 4, the new Zelda, and something new from Tell Tale. Not to mention all the board games. ^-^

*~o(^.^)o~*
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Staring listlessly at the convention center from the street, as I got shut out of tickets this year :(

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    qwhackerqwhacker Registered User regular
    I know there was a Steel Batallion thing set up a couple years ago..... I'd be the happiest person in Seattle if that was there again (unlikely, I know)

• Options
    itzzzdaeitzzzdae So. Cali.Registered User regular
    Wizards Party
    MTG World Cup
    Indie Games
    Pin trading (have pins from past 3 years!)

if the games are there:
    Overwatch
    Zelda
    Star Wars Battlefront

4rYn4o8.png
  • Options
    AaronElWhiteAaronElWhite WARegistered User regular
    skitterbug wrote: »
    I'm super excited for the parties and chatting with you fabulous people in line. Fingers crossed for Persona 5, Disgaea 5, Fallout 4, the new Zelda, and something new from Tell Tale. Not to mention all the board games. ^-^

We should just do the show together because these are exactly the most important things to me, as well!

• Options
    Can we bring the Rock Band stage back for Rock band 4? Pretty please? Pretty sure that would be awesome.

Twitter @Pogoplay
  • Options
    Nathan WindNathan Wind Colorado Springs, CORegistered User regular
    Hoping for playable demos of Star Wars Battlefront, and anything Mass Effect related or Fallout 4. Big Wargaming fan so looking forward to seeing their booth and playing some World of Tanks and World of Warships.

PAX Prime 14, 15
    PAX West 16, 17
    My Rig: I7 7700K, Aorus K5, 32GB RipJaws V, Samsung 960 PCIe 256 & 500, Zotac 1080Ti
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    After three trips to Prime, I'm FINALLY going to be able to go to the MTG Fall set launch party, which I'm super hyped for since they're going back to one of my favorite settings, and the Modern deck I play will likely get more goodies to use as a result.

Also, it will be the first time I can get an honest drink, as the previous times I've had my son along. (Don't worry, I just gave him the choice of Prime this year or East next year, because I can't pull him out twice in a single school year for PAX. he chose East.). So, I'm looking forward to the Schlitzkreig, the Pre-PAX game night, seeing @nuka and @AtomicGaryBusey, and making new friends, as I always seem to do at PAX.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    @WuShock Glad to see your gonna make it this year! Will have to try to find out at Pre-Pax gaming. ;)

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I hope you like cider, Wu.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716