As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] Tavern Brawls and new heroes are here!

• Options
    LotharLothar Of The Hill People Hills, Hill CountryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Opened up a classics pack yesterday and got a Leeroy Jenkins out of it (wanted to take a screenshot, but mobile is lame)! I wonder how many other people got the card on the 10th Anniversary of the video it came from?

Now to find an excuse to put it in a deck just for those emotes..

Lothar on
    Currently Playing: ARK: Survival Evolved

Feel free to add me for Smash Bros or MH4!
    FC: 3668 - 8564 - 8516
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I don't know if my build of it is bad, I don't understand it, or I'm just incapable of getting a good draw with it, but Flamewalker has been one of the worst competitive decks I have ever played. The only times I've managed to win it seemed like Mirror Image was the best card in the deck, which seems crazy.

I get the impression that everyone is still trying to figure out good decks for it.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    3clipse wrote: »
    I don't know if my build of it is bad, I don't understand it, or I'm just incapable of getting a good draw with it, but Flamewalker has been one of the worst competitive decks I have ever played. The only times I've managed to win it seemed like Mirror Image was the best card in the deck, which seems crazy.

Sometimes a deck just doesn't mesh with your playstyle. If you're not balls to the wall aggro that deck may not be for you.

(like seriously this is a deck where sometimes the correct move is turn 4 arcane missiles/arcane missiles/frostbolt face to activate Flamewaker and pump Mana Wyrm).

I don't think it's the aggro I have trouble with, it's the balance of aggro with synergy/tempo. I was bored at the end of last season and took Face Hunter on a spree to rank 10 so it's not dumping damage that I have trouble with, but in Flamewalker it's figuring out when I need to dump damage and when I need to hold back or protect my board.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Trying this version, which doesn't run Antonidas, which is good as I don't own him. Don't have echos, though.

admanb on
  • Options
    Maybe I get this now.

• Options
    Trying this version, which doesn't run Antonidas, which is good as I don't own him. Don't have echos, though.

Echoes could be kind of big. There aren't a whole lot of creatures in that deck and that there are aren't particularly durable so without a way to replenish them I can see the deck stalling out easily.

I'm also generally leery of the staying power a deck put up only 6 days after the second to last wing of BRM was released.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Echoes could be kind of big. There aren't a whole lot of creatures in that deck and that there are aren't particularly durable so without a way to replenish them I can see the deck stalling out easily.

I'm also generally leery of the staying power a deck put up only 6 days after the second to last wing of BRM was released.

That's what people said about Patron Warrior :D

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular

I am still amazed how quickly everyone got in there...

• Options

I swapped them out for a Mirror Entity and a Duplicate so I'm keeping to the same general ratios.

I might give this version a try, since I have everything but Rag.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Helping kick off the new thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcP28w2FF7M
    I got beat up by this deck last night.

“Hmm,” I thought, “Why is my opponent using Whirlwind now? Oh, I see: because they wanted a second Grim Patron. And now they’re … doing it again?

Oh.

Oh, dear.”

Then I went and opened six packs. Highlights were an Ancient of Lore and Ancient of War - and Grom Hellscream, which made me really happy because he is one of my favourite WC characters. Now I gotta figure out how to use him properly.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

That's the version I'm running after trying the second version you posted. It's way more aggro/tempo than the 2nd control version. Had a lot of success and streaked from 13 to 9. I did tweak it a bit by -1 Echo +1 Kezan Mystic, but otherwise found success. Tried cutting a 2nd Drake for Dr. Boom, but went back to the Drake after not getting much value from Boom.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

“Hmm,” I thought, “Why is my opponent using Whirlwind now? Oh, I see: because they wanted a second Grim Patron. And now they’re … doing it again?

Oh.

Oh, dear.”

Then I went and opened six packs. Highlights were an Ancient of Lore and Ancient of War - and Grom Hellscream, which made me really happy because he is one of my favourite WC characters. Now I gotta figure out how to use him properly.

One of the best (and cheapest) ways to use Grom Hellscream is in the Grim Patron deck, so... you might want to look up those decklists.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    MNC Dover wrote: »

That's the version I'm running after trying the second version you posted. It's way more aggro/tempo than the 2nd control version. Had a lot of success and streaked from 13 to 9. I did tweak it a bit by -1 Echo +1 Kezan Mystic, but otherwise found success. Tried cutting a 2nd Drake for Dr. Boom, but went back to the Drake after not getting much value from Boom.

Yeah. I had a couple versions where I was running Boom as a replacement for Antonidas but I like the Azure Drake way better. Not only does it help you rebuild your hand and potentially get wins out of nowhere, but when you play it into a board that already has some power pieces it's terrifying.

Boom forces your opponent to have an answer. Azure Drake doesn't give them a chance to.

admanb on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Now that I'm done with Naxx, I'm abusing the hell out of Stalagg and Feugen. When's the best time to whip 'em out? ASAP, so you can take advantage of their numbers? Or later when you have both of them, in hopes your opponent is too overwhelmed to prevent him from nullifying the Thaddeus summon?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Oh.

Oh, dear.”

The proper use of Grom is pretty simple. Drop him and have enough mana to either whirlwind, or angry taskmaster (optimal choice), him, then you get to charge the face for 12 damage.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

Oh.

Oh, dear.”

The proper use of Grom is pretty simple. Drop him and have enough mana to either whirlwind, or angry taskmaster (optimal choice), him, then you get to charge the face for 12 damage.

Isn't it best to only do this when you have lethal or just about guaranteed kill with a weapon next turn?

Otherwise it could get board-cleared and then heals and that's it. Patron is generally a one-trick pony unless you luck out with a frothing that can't be removed.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Yeah. Grom is for when you went off with Grim/Frothing and got them low, but then got boardwiped.

Update on Flamewalker: that more controlling version feels like a do-nothing "I play all the most powerful cards so how can I ever lose???" midrange deck and I hate it.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Er, sorry I mean the purpose of the "EVERYONE, GET IN HERE" combo. The times I've beaten grim warrior (granted, low teen ranks) has been because they pulled it off and I was able to wipe and heal or taunt enough that it just fizzled off.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    MMMig wrote: »
    Er, sorry I mean the purpose of the "EVERYONE, GET IN HERE" combo. The times I've beaten grim warrior (granted, low teen ranks) has been because they pulled it off and I was able to wipe and heal or taunt enough that it just fizzled off.

Ahh. The answer is "it depends." Grim Patron is good because the deck is quite sturdy. You have four potential instant-win combo pieces (Patron and Frothing) up to six full-board enablers (Whirlwind, Death's Bite, Unstable Goal. Card draw (Acolyte of Pain, Battle Rage) and a final killshot with Grom if you get them low. Sometimes you can go off with Patron to clear the board and get some damage to the face, then fire off a Battle Rage and have a full hand even if they wipe the board.

But sometimes Patron will be forced into a position where they have to commit and just hope you don't have a board clear.

admanb on
  • Options

Which is a good example of what I was referring to. It still took a few weeks after the first lists appeared for it to be refined to the variants we see now. Small changes like whether to run and how many to include of armorsmiths, gnomish inventors, corsairs, and other non-win condition pieces make a difference to performance but weren't the kind of things that were immediately apparent. The corsairs are now a mainstay of every decklist I see but were not in some of the early versions a few days after that wing unlocked.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I think I understand tempo mage enough to explain the differences in the two popular flamewaker decks being referenced in this thread.

The echos deck is an all-out aggro deck that also counters other aggro, but must close out the game fast vs control. It's particularly weak to warrior due to unwanted pinging of acolytes, armorsmiths and of course patrons. You should not try to play this deck without echos, because you'll run out of steam fast due to the low mana curve. edit: also want to mention that this deck is has some coherence problems, in that there are slow cards like arcane intellect, echos, polymorph, that dilute the tempo focus.

The other deck is basically pre-BRM tempo mage with flamewakers put in. It's a more balanced deck that is particularly strong against druid, and the flamewaker tech has made much better vs aggro. Overall much stronger of the two decks, IMO.

Some tech choices: mirror image and arcane missiles are amazing against aggro, but are terrible vs control unless you can sequence them to snowball a wyrm/waker for a quick win.

Which deck is better probably comes down to where you are on the ladder, with the first deck being better when you're facing a lot of aggro and the second when you're past the aggro. I believe you can be effective with the second deck vs aggro as well if you sub in arcane missiles for loatheb and sylvanas, and maybe mirror images for something else.

Sensational on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=109998/kolento-grim-patron-warrior-kpl-finals

This explained Patron Warrior better than anything else I've read.

edit: and then there's this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt3E-xnRXYk

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I realized that all the Warlock pets (Imp, Voidwalker, Succubus, Felguard, Infernal, Doomguard) are in right now except Felhunter, opinions on my Warlock only Demon owl?

ikHwfru.png

Referencing this ability it had in WoW
    Devour Magic: Purges 1 beneficial magic effect from an enemy. If an effect is devoured, the Felhunter will be healed for (1283 + (($SP * 0.5) * 0.3)).

Maybe make it a 2/0 that gains 4 health?

I also considered using
    Spell Lock: Silences the enemy for 3 sec. If used on a casting target, it will counter the enemy's spellcast, preventing any spell from that school of magic from being cast for 6 sec.
    which would prevent casting neutral or class cards the next turn based on the last card cast, although I figured that would be ultra Loatheb if you just chill until they cast a spell and thus op as all hell.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    LotharLothar Of The Hill People Hills, Hill CountryRegistered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    I realized that all the Warlock pets (Imp, Voidwalker, Succubus, Felguard, Infernal, Doomguard) are in right now except Felhunter, opinions on my Warlock only Demon owl?

ikHwfru.png

Devour Magic: Purges 1 beneficial magic effect from an enemy. If an effect is devoured, the Felhunter will be healed for (1283 + (($SP * 0.5) * 0.3)).

I also considered using
    Spell Lock: Silences the enemy for 3 sec. If used on a casting target, it will counter the enemy's spellcast, preventing any spell from that school of magic from being cast for 6 sec.
    which would prevent casting neutral or class cards the next turn based on the last card cast, although I figured that would be ultra Loatheb if you just chill until they cast a spell and thus op as all hell.

I like the idea as It's based on what was once the most feared of Warlock pets. It would also play into Handlock with Ancient Watchers if you didn't want to use the full effect.

I may be biased, though, because anything that might make a Priest sad is enticing to me.

Currently Playing: ARK: Survival Evolved

Feel free to add me for Smash Bros or MH4!
    FC: 3668 - 8564 - 8516
  • Options

ikHwfru.png

I also considered using

Or 3 mana, 1/1, "Silence a minion. Gain any buffs it had on it."

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Now that I'm done with Naxx, I'm abusing the hell out of Stalagg and Feugen. When's the best time to whip 'em out? ASAP, so you can take advantage of their numbers? Or later when you have both of them, in hopes your opponent is too overwhelmed to prevent him from nullifying the Thaddeus summon?
    I've been playing a lot of Shamanigans lately (I think it's my favorite deck at the moment), so I'll share my experiences.

In case you're not familiar with the concept, Shamanigans relies on Reincarnate, Ancestral Spirit, and Baron Rivendare to double-dip on useful Deathrattle effects. Stalagg and Feugen - when placed into this deck - allow for some ridiculous plays that result in you getting, like, three Thaddeuses on the board. This is a dream scenario, but I like it enough that I keep playing the deck, even though it's absolutely 100% not competitive.

Most of the time, I try to play the first Thaddeus-brother onto a board where he is almost guaranteed to get killed. Why? Because this allows me to activate the second one several turns down the line on the same turn that I play him. Note that the combo is actually pretty to disrupt: if the first brother is Polymorphed/Hexxed/Tinkmaster Oversparked/transformed in some other way, then the second brother cannot activate (unless your opponent plays his own Stalagg/Feugen combo, I guess). If the second brother is silenced before he is killed, then again you can't trigger the combo. That's why I try to drop Stalagg first, if possible, and especially if the opponent has an easy 4 damage on the board (say, a shredder); I feel like they're more likely to just trade into Stalagg then and there, and not waste a transforming-type effect.

If you're not playing these guys in a Shaman deck, I think that you might have a pretty hard time getting them to combo reliably. Reincarnate allows you to activate them on your terms, which is a big deal. Also, I recently scraped together enough dust to craft my first legendary, and made a beeline straight for Sylvanas; I think that she's an even better Reincarnate target than Stalagg/Feugen: not only does her deathrattle remove a threat, but it also improves your own board. I've stolen a few wins with Rivendare + Sylvanas + Reincarnate (all cost-reduced by Emperor Thaurissan).

I'm still trying to figure out if it's possible to improve my Shamanigans deck. The biggest weakness that it has is early board control. If I can't clear their zoo/mech board in the one or two turns after they play it, I'm basically done. There's just no recovering from it.

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I've been playing a lot of Shamanigans lately (I think it's my favorite deck at the moment), so I'll share my experiences.

In case you're not familiar with the concept, Shamanigans relies on Reincarnate, Ancestral Spirit, and Baron Rivendare to double-dip on useful Deathrattle effects. Stalagg and Feugen - when placed into this deck - allow for some ridiculous plays that result in you getting, like, three Thaddeuses on the board. This is a dream scenario, but I like it enough that I keep playing the deck, even though it's absolutely 100% not competitive.

Most of the time, I try to play the first Thaddeus-brother onto a board where he is almost guaranteed to get killed. Why? Because this allows me to activate the second one several turns down the line on the same turn that I play him. Note that the combo is actually pretty to disrupt: if the first brother is Polymorphed/Hexxed/Tinkmaster Oversparked/transformed in some other way, then the second brother cannot activate (unless your opponent plays his own Stalagg/Feugen combo, I guess). If the second brother is silenced before he is killed, then again you can't trigger the combo. That's why I try to drop Stalagg first, if possible, and especially if the opponent has an easy 4 damage on the board (say, a shredder); I feel like they're more likely to just trade into Stalagg then and there, and not waste a transforming-type effect.

If you're not playing these guys in a Shaman deck, I think that you might have a pretty hard time getting them to combo reliably. Reincarnate allows you to activate them on your terms, which is a big deal. Also, I recently scraped together enough dust to craft my first legendary, and made a beeline straight for Sylvanas; I think that she's an even better Reincarnate target than Stalagg/Feugen: not only does her deathrattle remove a threat, but it also improves your own board. I've stolen a few wins with Rivendare + Sylvanas + Reincarnate (all cost-reduced by Emperor Thaurissan).

I'm still trying to figure out if it's possible to improve my Shamanigans deck. The biggest weakness that it has is early board control. If I can't clear their zoo/mech board in the one or two turns after they play it, I'm basically done. There's just no recovering from it.

I'm shocked no one played Shamanigans in the challengestone set of games where you could only use even costs spells and odd attack minions. Seemed like it would be super strong. Its a fun deck, and perhaps, someday when it isn't the BGH meta, it will rise as dominant.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    My particular Shamanigans deck only has two BGH targets: Stalagg and Thaddeus - and I actually want Stalagg to die. If I've been playing my cards right, I probably also have multiple Thaddeuses on the board, so losing one isn't the end of the world.

What really stinks is not being able to draw out all of your opponent's removals, and then watching all your Thaddeuses turn into sheep. Very sad.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I guess I'm gonna start working toward gold druid instead of aimlessly playing. it was that or rogue and I think I'll take the far easier to play deck.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Don't forget, this Sunday I'll be running an Arena Constructed Tournament!

Here's the rules/info:
    • Go to Hearthhead and choose your class (you'll be given 3 random choices)
    • You then have to create 3 decks out of all the cards presented
    • Your first deck will be like a normal draft
    • The second and third decks will be created from the cards that were skipped
    • For the second and third decks, you must still follow the draft rules of choosing one card per selection
    • Example: Drafting as Paladin and your first pick consists of - Truesilver Champion, Murloc, and Murloc Tidehunter. You choose Truesilver and continue picking. When you go to pick your next deck, you CANNOT put both Murlocs into the same deck because they are in the same draft slot.
    • The Judge will be @Grobian
    • If you're offered cards you don't own, you'll have to find an equivalent substitute
    • When finding a substitute card, send suggested card(s) to The Judge for approval
    • If you're offered 3+ copies of a spell/minion, they must be spread over the multiple decks (to avoid the constructed 2 copy rule)
    • After completing your draft, send the results page to The Judge for verification
    • This will be an honor system, so don't refresh the page to get better draft choices
    • Try and get your drafts/decks completed before the tournament to speed things along
    • I'll be linking the Challonge bracket before the event
    • Trying to get 8 players to compete
    • This Sunday at 2pm PST

If you already signed up, please remind me again and include your challonge name if you have one. This should be awesome!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Definitely get your draft ready beforehand because I'm in another timezone. I think it's easiest if people just tell me what they want to replace cards with, because I don't know their collections. If I think the power levels differ too much, I'll make some recommendations.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I signed up, but wont be able to play as I'm away this weekend. Enjoy!

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Someone posted a spreadsheet of their collection in the last thread and was using it decide which packs to get. Whoever that was, would you mind uploading a copy to google sheets?

• Options
    aaaaaand yeah that's lethal

this guy plays ancients of war, I play double combo.

Hearthstone%20Screenshot%2005-14-15%2001.03.54.png

• Options
    I think that variations on mage that strifecro has played over the last like, 6 months are the most interesting decks in the game. and he really is the only person you see playing his exact style (can't remember what he was calling the deck in the past, he had a name that he kept through a bunch of modifications)

I've not played them much because they're not easy to play but I think of all the mage styles they're my favorite. control heavy but in fun ways.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Grinder mage is his thing I think

• Options
    yes! thanks

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Someone posted a spreadsheet of their collection in the last thread and was using it decide which packs to get. Whoever that was, would you mind uploading a copy to google sheets?

You can also manage your collection at hearthhead, but I haven't tried it so I don't know how easy it is.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I don't know if my Mage opponent disconnected or ragequit this arena game, but it definitely happened right after I played turn 2 Mechwarper, turn 3 1-cost Mechwarper, free Mechwarper, Faerie Dragon.

9 power on turn 3 is alright I guess.

admanb on
  • Options
    Grobian wrote: »

You can also manage your collection at hearthhead, but I haven't tried it so I don't know how easy it is.

I'm more interested in the X of Y epics and whatnot for figuring out which packs you want.

This discussion has been closed.