As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Maz- wrote: »
    So is the 3rd path supposed to be something that comes after the first game? Not just like an alternate story? If so does it take into account which path you played through to get there?

No, it's an alternate story.

Well... huh that's kinda butts.

Can you just play through that one if that's the one that answer unanswered questions?

I think you can, but since it's DLC you need to own one of the other paths anyway so you might as well play them.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/miscellaneous/downloadable-content/maps/

dlc breakdown, they are basically what you'd expect except the last one, which is a little spoilerrific

a bunch of them seem to put you in control of units at pre-set levels like the ones from Heroes of Light and Shadow, which is neat

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    So basically I went to an anime convention for most of the weekend, and need to go back the final day to get my money's worth on my spending ticket, but I noticed they had keychains for sale and what caught my eye were multiple Fire Emblem: Awakening chibi keychains.

So naturally I got myself an Owain keychain (sorry, no pics).

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Shen wrote: »
    Sigh. Video games as a business are depressing as hell.

But... it's free.

Why is free DLC depressing?

The degree to which they're leaning on popular characters from Awakening is really tragic. It's the same golden goose milking that happened with Persona 4, and regardless of the quality or free nature of the product is something that I just find to be creatively sad.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Tragic? Tragic is to have popular characters you liked be forgotten for all time. Most people would have hardly remembered any of the really old Fire Emblem characters (or hell, even KNEW about them) if not for the DLC. As for Awakening's cast re-emerging in the sequel, they were part of the most popular characters in Awakening via voting, so no doubt they'd try to include them in some way, and this way is how they chose.

I mean if you really want to compare it to the milking that P4 got, P4 had two animes, a remake, 2 fighting games, and a dancing/rhythm game. Fire Emblem has one cross-over with SMT in the works and... what, an anime from the late 80s based off the original Fire Emblem? This is NOTHING.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem has one cross-over with SMT in the works and... what, an anime from the late 80s based off the original Fire Emblem?[/i][/b].
    Also a card game. And a manga, though P4 got that too.

• Options
    Tragic? Tragic is to have popular characters you liked be forgotten for all time. Most people would have hardly remembered any of the really old Fire Emblem characters (or hell, even KNEW about them) if not for the DLC. As for Awakening's cast re-emerging in the sequel, they were part of the most popular characters in Awakening via voting, so no doubt they'd try to include them in some way, and this way is how they chose.

I mean if you really want to compare it to the milking that P4 got, P4 had two animes, a remake, 2 fighting games, and a dancing/rhythm game. Fire Emblem has one cross-over with SMT in the works and... what, an anime from the late 80s based off the original Fire Emblem? This is NOTHING.

That doesn't strike me as tragic; their stories were told, and ended, and you can remember them with fondness. Trotting out a cast outside of their initial games often results in watered down characterisations, such as Chie's steak fixation, and seldom actually develops them further (what progress has Chie made towards becoming a cop, etc).

To be clear, I don't care if no one else shares this point of view. It just bums me out when the least creative path to success is taken.

ladi.png
  • Options
    XeinosXeinos Registered User regular
    I think I see your point, but I don't know if the time is quite right to worry about rehashing characters yet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't most Fire Emblems been part of duologies? Same or really similar settings for like two games, then on to the next thing? The exceptions are Gaiden and Sacred Stones, but even then they have the monster thing going on.

Admittedly, I dunno what's going on with whatever crossover's going on in Fates.

• Options
    RazmaRazma Registered User regular
    From the ones I've played 6+7 are a duology as are 9+10.

I'm personally fine with the use of previous characters of the series in DLC, most of the DLC from Awakening involved older characters as well. Awakening also setup the Outrealm idea which opened up the possibility of future cross overs from other games in the series in this manner.

If it's done well then I don't see a huge issue from it. I would only have a problem if they blatantly shoehorned them into the main story itself.

• Options
    Fire Emblem 1-3 are all part of the same world (Fire Emblem 2 was called "Gaiden" or extra, after all, and 3 had a story that was a direct continuation of FE1), Fire Emblem 4 and 5 were directly related as the Holy War saga, 6-7 were part of the Sealed Sword generation, 8 (Sacred Stones) was standalone as far as anyone can tell, and probably the only stand-alone Fire Emblem game with little relating to the rest of the games in the series.

And technically Awakening is a distant sequel to the original trilogy (and their DS remakes).
    Razma wrote:
    If it's done well then I don't see a huge issue from it. I would only have a problem if they blatantly shoehorned them into the main story itself.

Pretty much this. I mean they did include three of the children characters from FEA with different names and such, but they're just their to flow along with the story, not deter the overall plot, and that's fine with me. The DLC thing is just a thing to cater to fans, and I see nothing wrong with it.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Captain Incredibly Late to the Party is finally playing Fire Emblem, Awakening. Great stuff!

One pet peeve -- some characters are awesome at level 10, while some of the other characters (like the girl that turns into a dragon) can blow them away at level 2. I like having all my characters at similar levels, and this is messing with my head.

Also, is there a point to Donnell? I'm trying to level the poor guy up, but he's so damn fragile.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Captain Incredibly Late to the Party is finally playing Fire Emblem, Awakening. Great stuff!

One pet peeve -- some characters are awesome at level 10, while some of the other characters (like the girl that turns into a dragon) can blow them away at level 2. I like having all my characters at similar levels, and this is messing with my head.

Also, is there a point to Donnell? I'm trying to level the poor guy up, but he's so damn fragile.

He turns into pretty much the strongest character in the game, so yeah.

• Options

Donny gets ridiculously strong once he hits level 10 and changes class.

Some characters are just much stronger with far less effort, yeah. The power difference does tend to level out as they approach max level and stat caps though.

ladi.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

No, because he can't ever have Galeforce. I think Morgan is the strongest overall (just for having Tactician passives plus access to every other dumb passive)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Donny is great in the midgame and will be useful for the rest of the game unless you do a bunch of level grinding. Just pair him with Kellam and use him to get the killing blow.

In short, he is Magikarp or Abra.

• Options

Cool, I was hoping for that. You change his class with that item thingy, right?

And I guess I'm not completely insane for trying to make everyone get to the same level.

• Options

Cool, I was hoping for that. You change his class with that item thingy, right?

And I guess I'm not completely insane for trying to make everyone get to the same level.

Yeah, Second Seal. And no, you're completely insane. It's just the level of insanity in this thread is extraordinarily high (and surprisingly varied).

ladi.png
  • Options
    I guess technically other characters can end up stronger if you Second Seal them and hit their level cap multiple times if you wanna do Lunatic or some of the really tough DLC, but for the purpose of a normal playthrough, which is what most people will do, Donny (or I guess his kid if he passes down Aptitude) is pretty much the best character.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    The late-game grinding was always a turnoff for me in that regard. I know i sound like a broken record, but i loved the Tellius games for limited EXP. It feels contrary to the spirit of the game to just grow these characters limitlessly.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    The late-game grinding was always a turnoff for me in that regard. I know i sound like a broken record, but i loved the Tellius games for limited EXP. It feels contrary to the spirit of the game to just grow these characters limitlessly.

What, you don't like following in the footsteps of the Sacred Stones?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I'm already at the point where I have to grind a bit. Mainly because I'm playing the "nobody dies" mode and I keep swapping around to make sure everyone is the same level.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Well, at a certain point you're going to have way more characters than you can feasibly level. I suggest you start settling on a core team and focus mostly on them. By Chapter 13 you'll have most of the important characters, so having a group of ~10 at that point is a solid goal. You can always switch some characters in or out later.

You will probably want a roughly even gender split for your crew.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If you want to really be "that guy" who has everybody leveled to hell and back, then I'd really recommend buying the gold/exp dlc. Which does feel a little bit scummy and "pay to win". But on the other hand, it's at least cheap, and it really does help with leveling a ton.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    If you want to really be "that guy" who has everybody leveled to hell and back, then I'd really recommend buying the gold/exp dlc. Which does feel a little bit scummy and "pay to win". But on the other hand, it's at least cheap, and it really does help with leveling a ton.

That's a good tip -- I love the game, but I can only sneak in a fight or two on my lunch break, and grinding's a drag.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    There's also a DLC that gives a skill that doubles XP. Lost Bloodlines 3, I think.

(Lost bloodlines 2 gives a really good class instead.)

• Options
    There appears to be so goddamn much DLC I could potentially play the game until the heat death of the universe.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

Sacred Stones didn't have reclassing. It's one thing to build your entire army to promoted-20, it's another to build them to what is effectively promoted-60 or something ridiculous.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Except for the hardest DLC it isn't required though.

By that point you're just doing it for fun.

• Options
    There appears to be so goddamn much DLC I could potentially play the game until the heat death of the universe.

Unless you're a dyed in the wool FE fan there's actually very little I'd recommend as it's quite expensive. Future Past is the only must have (though it's fantastic, to be fair), and if you're playing on hard or above you'll likely want the exp grinding map as well.

If you really, really like the gameplay then check out Rogues and Redeemers 3, and if you don't mind hours of mindless grinding then pick up Lost Bloodlines 3 and Apotheosis.

ladi.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

Sacred Stones didn't have reclassing. It's one thing to build your entire army to promoted-20, it's another to build them to what is effectively promoted-60 or something ridiculous.

I know, but like... if you don't like doing that, don't? And those that do, can. Then everyone is happy!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I want to say "I'm sorry" in advance.

I know min-maxing the Fire Emblem Awakening eugenics program was taxing enough under normal circumstances.

I was playing around with the 3DS homebrew channel and extracting/editing my Fire Emblem Awakening save. Then I started playing around with the characters and I figured out how to redefine their parents. I was able to do crazy things like define Tiki as Kjele's father and was subsequently able to turn her into a manakete herself (I'm tempted to start playthrough where everyone is dragons).

Then I realized that I can make the kids be their own grandparents....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La-aA1X3WnE

What has (computer) science done?

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I have no willpower and have ordered this:
    http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIGURE-009329&rank=
    FIGURE-009329.jpg

I couldn't help it :P (p.s. - that is up for anyone who wanted to but couldn't snag a pre-order)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Mine's arriving tomorrow. Apparently, they even managed to get the eyes right.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I love my Lucina figma. Shame about the missing blush paint on the second face though

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Mine's showed up last week. Before Amiibo I never would have ordered it... a gateway drug is what they are.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    I need that. Is it a limited time thing, or can I expect it to still be there around Christmas-time?

Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    I need that. Is it a limited time thing, or can I expect it to still be there around Christmas-time?

It's going to sell out stupid fast. I was surprised they were available again - I figured preorders would eat through all the stock but guess not.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    First time I'm buying anything from this site. What shipping method do people recommend?

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    kime wrote: »
    First time I'm buying anything from this site. What shipping method do people recommend?

I used Registered SAL... From the small amount of research I did that seemed like the best option. Second cheapest but you get a little insurance and tracking which you don't get with unregistered SAL (and it's only like $2-3 more). I guess EMS is the best but it's super expensive.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Oh wait mine DOES have a blush. It was hard to tell in with my room's lighting, but there's definitely some pink paint. It's more noticable on the right side of the face than the left though, but still cool.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356