As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The KO count on the lower right of your screen is not the one it goes by and that’s not your true ko count.

The number of kills that the ranking will use is listed in the same window that has the kill requirements.

I got an S rank in a mission that needed 2000 but playing as Robin his number in the lower right of the screen was just like 1040, but in the pause menu it showed I had almost 3000.

So it must count KOs by your whole party toward the score not just with the character you are manually controlling.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »
    If I loved Hyrule Warriors (wish they'd make a sequel for Switch), will I enjoy Fire Emblem Warriors?

If you loved it for the gameplay and not just the Zelda references, then yes, definitely.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Does FE Warriors have a Classic Fire Emblem mode that makes deaths permanent?

I can't decide if that would be hilarious or not.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    klemming wrote: »

Yes but you can revive them for a fee. Though permadeath doesn’t affect the story

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

Yes. It has a Classic Mode with perma-death.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Yes but you can revive them for a fee

It's a huge-ass fee, so... pretty permanent for a while.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

It does. In Story mode, if a character dies, you can't use them in future battles. There are ways to revive them though.

I'm playing on Casual though. For regular Fire Emblem games I always go Classic, but I actually wanna use everyone and experiment a bit and don't get punished for it.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The only parts that really bug me are:

1) The special attacks seem longer, with a combination of the WiiU's Hyrule Warriors flourishes, and the 3DS's focus on the eyes, anime style, and

2) The level up prompts, which can come very fast and furious with 4 active battlers.

Luckily, the latter can be turned off.. and I don't wanna yet.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Man, effective damage is no joke. My Camilla would've been one-shot by an archer if not for her Prayer Crest.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    physi_marc wrote: »
    If I loved Hyrule Warriors (wish they'd make a sequel for Switch), will I enjoy Fire Emblem Warriors?

If you loved it for the gameplay and not just the Zelda references, then yes, definitely.

Be aware that there are some differences in the feel of it. There's significantly less of an emphasis on reacting to enemy attacks, since characters also have attacks that can cause those circle things to appear on enemies. The weapon triangle is present and feels much more significant than the elements in Hyrule Warriors, and slayer weapons in particular will really fuck up their intended targets. Rather than switching characters just to move somewhere else on the map, you'll be switching characters based on which enemies you're going to be facing next.

• Options
    Leo and Elise are quite fun to play as. They essentially have Wizzro's beam attack from Hyrule Warriors.

• Options
    This game is pretty neat.

Also, I just really enjoy existing within the Fire Emblem universe. Even in silly mashup games. The FE universe is easily in my top 5 game universes.

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    This is like, huge levels of complexity above Hyrule Warriors. I'm enjoying it, but I'm so paranoid about losing my allies..

Ally AI seems to be pretty competent, save Cordelia constantly throwing herself at archers which is pretty easy to remedy by just sending her to another section of the map.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    The game isn't joking about the sixth wave of arenas being particularly nasty. Random advice for the first arena you find:
    Bringing an anti-flier weapon would be a really, really good idea.

edit: Also, a bit of warning for people who are thinking about choosing Classic. The way that the skill system works in this is that every character has their own personal skill. They can learn their own for cheap, but learning other skills requires a drop that you get whenever a character A-ranks with somebody else. Basically, if you lose a character, you lose all access to their skill.

Also, since it's an item drop, you can in theory teach the skill to anyone, not just the person who they A-ranked with. I think I'll be going with a self-imposed limitation to only share skills between A-rank partners, though.

jothki on
  • Options
    Alright, unlocked the second History Mode map, which seems like a good place to stop for today. Looking forward to trying out Xander and his crazy horse tomorrow.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah I lost Camilla after a 15 minute fight to Takumi who one-shot her. Had to restart.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah I lost Camilla after a 15 minute fight to Takumi who one-shot her. Had to restart.

The whole game, in Casual mode, I'd hope.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    You can revive people even in classic! It's in the Temple!

Also afaik teaching other people's skills requires essence, which you can only get from A ranking. So you have to A rank everyone with everyone to get all skills (max 6 equipped).

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    This game is doing a terrible job at convincing me to not use Camilla for absolutely everything besides Archers.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Is there any way to make Anna stop commenting on the size of my profit margins? I'm done hearing that voice clip, especially if I start chewing on this game's four hundred pounds of garlic bread.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Is there any way to make Anna stop commenting on the size of my profit margins? I'm done hearing that voice clip, especially if I start chewing on this game's four hundred pounds of garlic bread.

Oh, that's Anna doing that? Heh. Might switch to Japanese to see if that at least ignores it.

Saaame, only I decided not to restart so I could see how it worked.

... Shit.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I’m having a lot of difficulty interpreting the map and discerning the importance of objectives changes.

I’ve spawned Anna a few times but twice I never found her after I spawned her because I couldn’t find her icon on the map. Heck, sometimes I can’t even find my own player icon. The map is just too busy. It’s like an information overload.

I am on chapter 6 now and I failed the mission and got a game over because they kept telling me that a fort was in trouble, and I failed to respond in time. I actually had two related and linked issues:
    1) I wasn’t able to figure out where on the map I needed to go
    2) The game did not make the severity of the situation apparent to me and I guess I really didn’t even understand that losing the fort would trigger a loss condition. This is partly because on previous maps if a fort fell I could just go retake it.

Anyway, I’m finding this game very difficult — not because of the combat or skill required — but because I honestly have no clue what’s going on most of the time.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I’m having a lot of difficulty interpreting the map and discerning the importance of objectives changes.

I’ve spawned Anna a few times but twice I never found her after I spawned her because I couldn’t find her icon on the map. Heck, sometimes I can’t even find my own player icon. The map is just too busy. It’s like an information overload.

You can pause the game and her character icon should show up pretty clearly.

At least I've never had any problems.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Another tip, from what I can tell, there's no point in actually waiting for the Awakening bar to fill up before you trigger it. The first few kill bonuses are pretty huge, and will fill up the rest of your bar within a few seconds.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

Yes, actually.

I don't know the exact numbers, but once a character has enough Supports with others, you can set their voice as the System Voice and you don't have to listen about Anna going on about her profit margins any more.

So far I've unlocked Lianna and (Male) Robin as System Voices, but I'm... fairly certain... every other playable character can be set as well. Well, I think it's a reasonable guess anyway.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Welp, spent the entire day playing. Overall I like the game a lot. But definitely not as good as Hyrule Warriors. Still pretty fun though. Some random thoughts:

-It took me until Chapter 14 to realize I could actually change which characters were playable -_- I was starting to get REALLY pissed at the game for saying I'd unlocked all these characters and then every god damn mission was Chrom/Robin/Lisse/Frederick/Lucina. The way you change them too is suuuuuuuuuuuper un-intuitive and janky. Seriously, Fire Emblem games have had this down for decades. How hard is it to have a separate character picking screen? Why do I need to, one, know that the "blue squares" are the playable characters, click each one individually and choose "Change Character"? Oh, and if the character you want is already deployed as an NPC? They don't show up in that list. You have to use "Swap" instead. That took me until Chapter 15 to figure out.

-The map is too hard to read. I don't know how they messed this up because Hyrule Warriors' map wasn't that great but it was much easier. The biggest problems I have are figuring out where the characters are (the pixel art is impossible to read on the minimap) and figuring out where objectives (specifically sub-mission objectives) are located. This was easy in Hyrule Warriors. Overall the whole map is just way too busy. It makes reading it really difficult. I will say, the little distressed graphic over dying heroes is actually a huge improvement though, so that's something they did right.

-Character selection still baffles me. For as important as they made the weapon triangle there are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many sword users in relation to axe and lance. In fact, there isn't a single lance user that isn't also a pegasus knight. WTF is that? It just kind of baffles me. Where are the thieves? The armored knights?

-Also just compared to Hyrule Warriors, no one really feels unique. Like, all the swords feel the same, all the axes feel the same, etc. I think that's what they were going for but I don't particularly care for it. Even Hyrule Warriors had characters with the same weapon type that felt really distinct from each other. Doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to give each a little individuality.

-Why is the crest crafting thing zoomed in so much? I can't see half the crests. Would it kill them to fit it all on one screen? I'm pretty sure it was for Hyrule Warriors... (maybe I'm mis-remembering). While I am complaining about menus, the weapon equipping menu is annoying and dumb. Why can't I swap characters while equipping weapons/items like I can for literally everything else? I have to back out two menu screens to pick a new character each time... dumb :P I honestly stopped bothering with weapons since it doesn't matter much right now anyways (all I'm getting are E and D ranks and half the characters can't even equip the D ranks).

Minor story spoilers:
    -Knowing what the DLC is now, the inclusion of Owain, Niles, Oboro, and Navarre in the story (as NPCs that fight and everything) feels reaaaaaaaal sleezy to me. Like, "I'm paying for content on the disk" sleezy. I don't like that. Why are they not unlockable? Even Hyrule Warriors didn't pull this - the unplayable villain characters were offered as free DLC later, but everyone else was not in the game beforehand.

-I audibly groaned when Xander, Ryoma AND Corrin all had gems inside them. Seriously? Fates gets three? You couldn't have given one to Robin or something?

Overall I do like the game though. Just a lot of nit-picky things that annoyed me. I don't even mind the Awakening/Fates/Shadow Dragon focus for the main story, I think it works ok. I just wish it wasn't like that for the other unlockable characters. The lack of Ike, Roy, and Alm (but inclusion of Lyn and Celica) still baffles me...

Edit: Oh, I forgot the level up prompts interrupting and actually super-ceding dialog is annoying as shit. One, you can't wait until the character is done talking? And two, if you can't, at least pause the conversation and continue after the level up. I've had to go into the battle log to see what people said because a level up caused me to miss it -_-

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    One thing that I'm disliking about the game is that it feels too cerebral for the genre. Yeah, weird complaint.

In Hyrule Warriors, you can just run at things and kill them. In Fire Emblem Warriors, you have to plan who you send out, and what they should equip, and where you'll send them mid-battle, and who you'll control, and when you need to adjust orders, and whether anything is a particular threat to one of your characters and needs to be kept away, and so on. I do respect that it's authentic to Fire Emblem, but it does leave me exhausted rather than relaxed after a battle. I can't see myself spending anywhere near as much time on this as I did with Hyrule Warriors.

edit: Does anyone know if you eventually get to unlock Generic Dark Mage, Generic Dark Mage, and Generic Dark Mage as playable characters?

jothki on
  • Options
    Finished the Story Mode, which was... Eh I dunno. Serviceable.
    I thought the Fates part of the story focused too much on the Fates story (and also repeatedly itself in ludicrous fashion) and that's bad. And the Shadow Dragon part of the story focused too little on the Shadow Dragon story and that's bad too.

So I dunno.

After finishing Story Mode, I basically beelined the Noble Lady of Caelin History Mode map to unlock. Probably shouldn't have done that, though. My core team was just barely leveled enough to underleved and some maps get pretty brutal at the end. Managed to pull through, though, after several failures, so now I've got Lyn unlocked.

Might play the Story again. Except instead of Rowan and Lianna doing everything with the help of their friends, it's just Lyn cutting through everything like a whirlwind of steel.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    This is kind of a weird complaint, but I feel like Fire Emblem is getting flanderized in its crossover media. The theme of "I can rely on my friends and through our combined power we can overcome anything" is one that repeatedly shows up in Fire Emblem-- in the speech right before the endgame chapter, after about thirty chapters or so of resolving a bunch of political conflicts between various political factions who may or may not actually like each other and have rapidly-shifting alliances. In Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Fire Emblem Warriors, though, just about everyone is all-in on the friendship and teamwork stuff from the word go (barring their introduction chapter, in which there will be a simply awful misunderstanding that's resolved in a few lines of dialog afterward).

All this to say that I think Fire Emblem has, historically, been a lot more grounded than it keeps being depicted as.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    This is kind of a weird complaint, but I feel like Fire Emblem is getting flanderized in its crossover media. The theme of "I can rely on my friends and through our combined power we can overcome anything" is one that repeatedly shows up in Fire Emblem-- in the speech right before the endgame chapter, after about thirty chapters or so of resolving a bunch of political conflicts between various political factions who may or may not actually like each other and have rapidly-shifting alliances. In Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Fire Emblem Warriors, though, just about everyone is all-in on the friendship and teamwork stuff from the word go (barring their introduction chapter, in which there will be a simply awful misunderstanding that's resolved in a few lines of dialog afterward).

All this to say that I think Fire Emblem has, historically, been a lot more grounded than it keeps being depicted as.

Yeah, I really think the crossover Other Worlds thing they do in the spinoffs is kind of a weird thing to keep repeating and I hope it doesn't creep too far in to the main series.

Related to Flanderization, I never played the Nohr side of Fates. Was Camilla so ridiculously sexual in Fates? I know she had the outfit and a couple lines but literally every line in Warriors is a double entendre.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Xander is absolutely ridiculous at clearing crowds. You can just ride through them and keep mashing the strong attack button.

Corrin and Ryoma are also tons of fun to play as.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Related to Flanderization, I never played the Nohr side of Fates. Was Camilla so ridiculously sexual in Fates? I know she had the outfit and a couple lines but literally every line in Warriors is a double entendre.

Not literally every line, but several of her scenes were kinda uncomfortable.

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Edit: Oh, I forgot the level up prompts interrupting and actually super-ceding dialog is annoying as shit. One, you can't wait until the character is done talking? And two, if you can't, at least pause the conversation and continue after the level up. I've had to go into the battle log to see what people said because a level up caused me to miss it -_-

You can turn this off in the settings.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Alright, it turns out I will eat up any crazy Musou mash up game they throw at me. This game is fantastic.

As for the "power of friendship" and stuff in the cross-over games, given the state of affairs in the world right now, I will also eat up this positivity.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    You know, I wasn't the biggest fan of Owain's/Odin's schtick in Awakening and Fates, but he's perfect for Dynasty Warriors. Over-the-top flourishes are the whole point. Only a shame Cynthia didn't make the cut.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I am having fun with the game, but the longer I play it the more it seems half assed and phoned in.

• Options
    Tiki is interesting but I'm not sure she's all that great. Her effectiveness depends entirely on how long she can stay transformed - but even then I'm not sure she's that much stronger than the other characters.

Her victory animation is the cutest thing ever though.

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    Tiki is interesting but I'm not sure she's all that great. Her effectiveness depends entirely on how long she can stay transformed - but even then I'm not sure she's that much stronger than the other characters.

Her victory animation is the cutest thing ever though.

One thing that you have to bear in mind is that you don't actually have to wait for the Awakening gauge to be filled before using it. I think maybe two bars of Warrior gauge are enough to halfway fill up the Awakening gauge? If you can get that much during Awakening, you should be able to just immediately use it again. I haven't messed around with itself, though, I still need a good source of Manakete parts.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I can't stop using Takumi. The man is a monster.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I can't stop using Takumi. The man is a monster.

He's a terrible person, yes.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy